How do you clean the inside of your helmet?

I know I've started another "how to clean the inside of something" thread.

I own a Shoei lid & I have taken the inside out and washed it but the problem I have is that it never goes back together the same again. The clips feel feeble & there doesn't seem to be much thought process gone into taking the inside apart. I know I'll take it apart one day & it won't go back properly. I've tried washing it with soapy water which is ok but is there anyway I can do a decent job without taking it all apart?
|
rompin87
9/19/2016 12:52pm
I know I've started another "how to clean the inside of something" thread. I own a Shoei lid & I have taken the inside out and...

I own a Shoei lid & I have taken the inside out and washed it but the problem I have is that it never goes back together the same again. The clips feel feeble & there doesn't seem to be much thought process gone into taking the inside apart. I know I'll take it apart one day & it won't go back properly. I've tried washing it with soapy water which is ok but is there anyway I can do a decent job without taking it all apart?
For me depends where I been riding. If it's one of them dirty places that you really shouldn't be riding then I pull the skin all the way back chuck some bleach on it an give a good scrub with a nail brush. If it's a safe place a good shower with soap should do the trick.
9/19/2016 1:06pm
I know I've started another "how to clean the inside of something" thread. I own a Shoei lid & I have taken the inside out and...

rompin87 wrote:
For me depends where I been riding. If it's one of them dirty places that you really shouldn't be riding then I pull the skin all...
For me depends where I been riding. If it's one of them dirty places that you really shouldn't be riding then I pull the skin all the way back chuck some bleach on it an give a good scrub with a nail brush. If it's a safe place a good shower with soap should do the trick.
We are talking about the thing you put on your head lol ?
9/19/2016 1:10pm
I just take my dirty helmet with me in the shower after a day of moto. You can wash it with soap or just water. Most of the time I only use water. My moto 9 has magnetic cheek pads though, so no problem with putting them back in. I never take the rest of the liner out.
9/19/2016 1:12pm
rompin87 wrote:
For me depends where I been riding. If it's one of them dirty places that you really shouldn't be riding then I pull the skin all...
LaughingLaughingPinch

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
9/19/2016 1:17pm
Same thing I use to clean the inside of my boots, I dont do either. Cool
9/19/2016 2:26pm
I just take my dirty helmet with me in the shower after a day of moto. You can wash it with soap or just water. Most...
I just take my dirty helmet with me in the shower after a day of moto. You can wash it with soap or just water. Most of the time I only use water. My moto 9 has magnetic cheek pads though, so no problem with putting them back in. I never take the rest of the liner out.
^
This, although i dont remove anything.
I leave it right side up in the bath overnight,
For the next day i bunch a bath towell inside that wicks the moisture out.
Let it air out the next couple of days and it's good to go.

I actually take helmet, googles; chest protector, neck and knee braces in the shower, then just leave them in the bath to air dry.
Spooner
9/19/2016 2:43pm
I just pull the interior of it out pretty much every time I ride and two years later the liner looks brand new. Sometimes I hose out the helmet after a major mudder.
mxman
9/19/2016 2:46pm
The fact that you guys take shower with your gear..... Is kinda oddly strange.
MX4EVR
9/19/2016 2:50pm
Take the liner out and cheek pads and wash them
Lol
I have spare liners also
Just go online and order one
Cheap helmets don't have removable liners FYI
9/19/2016 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2016 3:00pm
I take the cheek pads and liner out, put them in the Shoei bag and pull the draw string tight, then toss that in a zip-up laundry bag and put it in the wash with my pants and jersey on the delicate cycle.

Also, I pull the lens out of my goggles, put the goggles in the silk bag they came in and pull the draw string tight and throw that in the zip-up laundry bag with my helmet liner.

Once the delicate cycle is over, I hang them out to dry and use a utility type fan to make sure they everything gets dried out in a somewhat timely manner.
Tracktor
9/19/2016 3:25pm
Pull them out every couple of rides and throw them in washing machine? Shoeis aren't tough to assemble but Bells are really easy. Few things better than a fresh clean helmet..........
crusher773
9/19/2016 3:39pm
I take the cheek pads and liner out, put them in the Shoei bag and pull the draw string tight, then toss that in a zip-up...
I take the cheek pads and liner out, put them in the Shoei bag and pull the draw string tight, then toss that in a zip-up laundry bag and put it in the wash with my pants and jersey on the delicate cycle.

Also, I pull the lens out of my goggles, put the goggles in the silk bag they came in and pull the draw string tight and throw that in the zip-up laundry bag with my helmet liner.

Once the delicate cycle is over, I hang them out to dry and use a utility type fan to make sure they everything gets dried out in a somewhat timely manner.
Exactly. You can do the same thing with air filters too. Run them on delicate and they come out looking brand new.
Hammer 663s
9/19/2016 3:42pm
I wear Schampa stretch head wraps and swap em out every moto. Really helps keep the sweat out of the liner. I also pull liner out every couple of weeks and wash with my gear. Then I clean the shell with a little simple green and warm water and let it air dry before reassembly. 3 years on my current Shoei and it still looks and smells fine.
Indy mxer
9/19/2016 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 9/19/2016 4:33pm
I take my pads out every once in a while and put them in the washer.
But if it's not bad I just rinse it out real good with a water hose nozzle.
Then I set it on top of my houses outdoor ac unit where the fan exhausts the warm air. Great way to dry it, plus it dries all the air vents too that way.
Camp332
9/19/2016 4:48pm
Hand washed all my Shoei liners in the sink, warm water, and woolite. Clean and smells awesome, without beating them up in a machine. Air dry
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
9/19/2016 5:08pm
My wife does all the helmet maintenance, she takes out the liners every time my boy rides and washes them / replaces them with spares. Every few times she Hoses it out but she always takes the visor off and cleans the outside thoroughly and follows up with some final detail spray. We typically have three of the same helmets and it makes her job easier.
Skerby
9/20/2016 7:17pm
Moto 9 pads go straight in the washer with the rest of the clothes, you can run them through the dryer too but they air dry real fast anyways.
jl0822
9/20/2016 7:29pm
i wear a shoei
i remove all liners/cheekpads, gf soaks in in warm water with some soap, hand washes and air drys them
i remove the visor, hose the outside if really dirty otherwise just spray with water or windex,

Braap19
9/20/2016 7:47pm
I dont wash it. I just put it on and ride.
CRF505
9/20/2016 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2016 8:13pm
Unfortunately your problem is that it's a shoei. I wear three brands/styles of helmets - one of them a shoei vfxw - and i honestly compare washing and replacing the liner in that helmet to changing air filters. It's horrible. With my bell moto 9 and fox v3 the process is quick and easy. It's the shoei's antiquated system that blows. With every other brand it's just a few snaps or magnets, throw it in the washer on gentle, and away you go. I know you have an expensive helmet, but maybe consider getting a different brand that's not such a hassle?
NHtoWA421
9/21/2016 4:42pm
rompin87 wrote:
Haha! Best thing I've read today
NHtoWA421
9/21/2016 4:43pm
rompin87 wrote:
Haha! Best thing I've read today. Although not sure I recomend bleach. I've got some pretty severe burns when i was 13 from laundry soap
wreckitrandy
9/21/2016 5:45pm
Clean?.... Ballers wear 'em once and give them away. Woolite is my secret.
Bramlett321
9/21/2016 8:57pm
A little off topic but do you guys know of a website or anywhere that test results are shown for all the MX/Off-road helmets may be ?? I have several lids and would like to see how they compare with one another in actual data.

Post a reply to: How do you clean the inside of your helmet?

The Latest