How do I convince my parents to let me race

norman151
2/6/2015 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 1:52pm
Iv'e been riding dirt bikes since i was 6 and i have always been interested in racing, but this year it has become much more popular between me and a few friends. i am currently 14 and i don't know where to go with my parents. whenever i bring it up my dad is silent and my mom just laughs and says no. help would be useful. :D
|
h&m_cycle
2/6/2015 8:01pm
norman151 wrote:
Iv'e been riding dirt bikes since i was 6 and i have always been interested in racing, but this year it has become much more popular...
Iv'e been riding dirt bikes since i was 6 and i have always been interested in racing, but this year it has become much more popular between me and a few friends. i am currently 14 and i don't know where to go with my parents. whenever i bring it up my dad is silent and my mom just laughs and says no. help would be useful. :D
do any of your friends race? Maybe talk your parents into going to watch a local race. I got hurt more playing high school
football.
SEE ARE125
2/6/2015 8:08pm
I'll solve the puzzle for you. If you've been riding since you were 6, I'm assuming that like a lot of us, your dad got you into the sport. I'm going to guess that he also rides and therefore he probably doesn't really have a problem with you racing, which is why he keeps quiet and neutral on the subject. BUT, your dad being the smart man that he is, also knows that for grown up reasons your mom ultimately makes the rules(you'll figure out why in a few years). So what you need to do is convince your mom to let you race. I'd suggest you skip the racing, and somehow convince your mom to go with you to a few open practices first.
ratonmacias
2/6/2015 8:08pm
Dad got me my first 2 bikes an xr 100 and later a kx 80 then i wanted to race. He didnt want me to. i was a pro practice rider. He told me if i wanted to race he wasnt paying anything moto related so i got a half time job while doing highschool and i raced. He saw me race once in almost 10 seasons of racing. Granted i didnt have the coolest bikes or stuff but it was enough.

The Shop

Moto75
2/6/2015 8:22pm
Tell them your a 14 year old that's capable of writing complete sentences... lol - Really seems like many can't these days. My thoughts, your mom is controlling the situation - that's why your dad is staying silent, caving to your mom. Start small - work her way up to it. Ask to practice at the track first, then maybe warm-ups during race day. Once they see your capable & committed, ask to have your first race, maybe on an off weekend when it's a lighter crowd. Suck them in.
2/6/2015 8:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2015 8:40pm
Wow reading that last post from ratonmacias makes me almost cry like mike alessi winning a heat race.
Can't imagine racing without my dad there all those years.
Called my dad and thanked him for all the years he took me racing. And I thabked my mom for her sacrifices too. Seeing me get hurt but still allowing me to choose to get back on the bike.

@norman151. IF you have your mom setup a PayPal account I'll donate your first entry fee and gate fee to race if they both agree to take you. and If they both agree to talk to families the day of the Race about the racing experience. With any luck Itll change your mothers laughter at the dinner table into a serious conversation.

Pm me and I'd would love the opportunity to discuss it with your mom on the phone. For what it's worth I am a nurse. I can understand both sides. You wanting to race and her wanting to protect you. Maybe that can be used as leverage in addition to the fees to convince her to try to make it happen. . I don't think I would be who I am today without racing as a kid. I also know that racing is expensive and inherently dangerous so I can empathize with your mother in relation to her being worried about your safety in addition to the cost. . .

It's a tough conversation but I'd be more than happy to assist her in making an informed decision.

Also rememeber Norman at the end of the day your parents are truly looking out for you in what they feel is in your best interest and you should respect their decisions even if you don't agree with them now. Later in life you will thank them for every decision they make when trying to raise you. Good luck.
2/6/2015 8:43pm
My parents got me into racing once I was riding regularly when I was young because it is a safe closed course with medical staff on site. The theory behind it was that as I get older and go off with my buddies in the woods if something goes wrong it could be a pretty bad situation. I've always agreed with that.
ratonmacias
2/6/2015 10:17pm
Lol didnt mean to make it sound as bad. I have a great relationshop with him. I havent raced since my twins were born Six years ago. The other day one of them asked me when would i take him racing right in front of my dad. And he went like there you now you are in my shoes. He later told he didnt like going to my races because i made him nervous. I wasnt the really in control type although i rarely ate it. lol
wreckitrandy
2/6/2015 10:25pm
Mom's can't bear the thought of their kid getting hurt. You need to work and buy all the safety gear that is available with your own money first. Explain all of it to your parents. What each piece does. It's still not going to be enough in her eyes. Explain that you will work and pay for the racing yourself. You just need their permission and help getting to the races. Be respectful at all times. Do not under any circumstances, sneak off with friends and race against your parent's wishes. Ask daily what you can do to change their minds. Chores around the house? Offer to do things like clean the garage. Then, even if they say it won't change their minds, do it anyway. Do it gladly. You will be accomplishing two things working with a good attitude. First, you're gonna show your parents that you are determined and willing to work toward a goal. Secondly, you're going to get ahead of the curve and have your work space organized for when you do get to race. Spend lots of time working on your bike now. Learn everything you can about it now. Explain how racing is going to keep you occupied and out of trouble. Everything you can do to PROVE yourself responsible will be viewed by your parents as reasons to trust you. Your friends will have a large bearing in this. If your parents don't like your friends, there will be reasons. Ask your parents. If they have good reasons such as, your friend is disrespectful towards anyone, find a new friend. You are known by the company you keep. If your friends race and their parents help them, they may be an influence on your parents by their good behavior. Make two stroke sounds randomly. Read every magazine you can get your hands on. Your single-mindedness will wear on them over time. Be discouraged. Don't hide it but never show it in a way that is spiteful or loud. Even if you never get any help towards racing from you parents realize that they love you and be grateful that you have them both. Good luck to you young man.
enketchum
2/6/2015 11:12pm
this again...

tell them that you will buy AND wear/use all the proper safety equipment.

Unless you're a rebel. Then just do whatever they tell you not to.
Damot
2/6/2015 11:59pm
Wow reading that last post from ratonmacias makes me almost cry like mike alessi winning a heat race. Can't imagine racing without my dad there all...
Wow reading that last post from ratonmacias makes me almost cry like mike alessi winning a heat race.
Can't imagine racing without my dad there all those years.
Called my dad and thanked him for all the years he took me racing. And I thabked my mom for her sacrifices too. Seeing me get hurt but still allowing me to choose to get back on the bike.

@norman151. IF you have your mom setup a PayPal account I'll donate your first entry fee and gate fee to race if they both agree to take you. and If they both agree to talk to families the day of the Race about the racing experience. With any luck Itll change your mothers laughter at the dinner table into a serious conversation.

Pm me and I'd would love the opportunity to discuss it with your mom on the phone. For what it's worth I am a nurse. I can understand both sides. You wanting to race and her wanting to protect you. Maybe that can be used as leverage in addition to the fees to convince her to try to make it happen. . I don't think I would be who I am today without racing as a kid. I also know that racing is expensive and inherently dangerous so I can empathize with your mother in relation to her being worried about your safety in addition to the cost. . .

It's a tough conversation but I'd be more than happy to assist her in making an informed decision.

Also rememeber Norman at the end of the day your parents are truly looking out for you in what they feel is in your best interest and you should respect their decisions even if you don't agree with them now. Later in life you will thank them for every decision they make when trying to raise you. Good luck.
Very kind offer^^^
There really are kind people in this world, great post.

I too as a kid had parents who had no interest in dirt bikes, especially my father who probably only watched me race one meeting.
He was football and that was that, I had to buy my own bikes and pay for everything.

My advice would be find some friends that race and tag along with them, if you really want to race don't get held back cos your folks don't want you out there, it will be expensive, you won't have all the best gear but it will all be worth it.
I had a close friend who I went to races with, his dad would help me out and sometimes buy me spares when I was short on cash.

I feel for you, as I was in that position before. Once you catch the bug there is no cure, it is such a shame that non moto parents don't understand this.
The Rock
2/7/2015 12:46am
1) Tell your mom if she let's you race you will never own a street bike.

2) Tell your father if he let's you race you won't drink or smoke weed as long as you are a "mom and dad sponsored rider."

3) Do what you have to do to graduate from high school a year early. You'll be racing soon if you play your cards right with mom and dad so start training now so you can really blossom skill wise in what would have been your senior year. Other kids will be in school and you'll be practicing during the week to smoke these guys on the weekend.

4) Never ever mention to your parents anything about MX forums on the Internet. The first rule of MX forums is there are no MX forums on the Internet.

5) Take your time in approaching your parents and have your responses to their possible objections locked and loaded.

A) We don't want you to get hurt

Kids get hurt playing all types of sports in highs school. I'll wear all the right safety equipment and use my head when I race.

Cool It's too expensive

Start on a two stroke

C) Our family is too busy to take this on

As somebody else mentioned this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to build lifetme memories with your parents. I'm 58 and some of my best memories if not my best memories are camping out at the races with my family and friends all throughout the 70s. My father has passed but my mom is still friend with people we raced with 40 years ago. No sport on the planet like MX.

Good luck!
daemon616
2/7/2015 1:14am
Move out and support yourself.
philG
2/7/2015 1:22am
Rock hits it out of the park....

I am at the age now where when we got to a big race (like the one tomorrow) i will meet all kinds of people from back in the day , and the age i am now , we are starting to lose parents and even riders through old age.... always an awkward start to the convo for sure.

The times we had (and are still having) is what makes life living , i just dont get all these stick and ball sports guys who live off watching someone else live a dream for them.... the only thing that beats riding , is racing.

and + 1000000 on the 'no streetbike' deal. Thats just buying a ticket in the lottery of death, IMHO... i've done it , and its just not worth it.

It gives a purpose that nothing else does ... watching football just takes you to the pub.. racing takes you to a zone that nobody that who hasnt put a helmet on will ever understand.
2/7/2015 1:30am
norman151 wrote:
Iv'e been riding dirt bikes since i was 6 and i have always been interested in racing, but this year it has become much more popular...
They are doing you a favor, buddy...
JPT
2/7/2015 2:00am
I had to wait until I was 18.
Olson
2/7/2015 2:28am
norman151 wrote:
Hah! Dream crusher!
KMC440
2/7/2015 4:39am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 4:40am
Tell your dad to grow a set.

Set it up one weekend so that pops is going to take you riding... Byron or Mt Carroll are your closest bets. When you get to the track .... Holy Shit Batman !!! it's raceday ... well gee dad we could leave and waste the whole trip out here, or we could just sign me up.....

Another thought is the GP approach, basically a MX with fewer jumps, obstacles etc.kind of a fast open trail ride. LaSalle has one in April.

http://amadistrict17.com/services/2015schedule.htm

If this doesn't work start pounding on the grand parents (hopefully yours are still with us) and especially your dad's. Ask his mom why she raised such a wimp, ask his dad what does "pussy whipped" mean.

sandman768
2/7/2015 5:30am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 5:32am
great advice so far: you are going to have to attempt to figure out the species known as "women" at some point in you life. This is a good opportunity to start the process. 1. you dont get something for nothing. make a deal that mom will like. Like: I will improve my grades in school in my weakest subjects, if I can try 1 race. 2. Show you are a responsible son, help around the house, clean, do dishes, take garbage out ect. 3. Dad is silent because he is smart, pick & choose your battles with women, it"s a survival tactic. This is your battle with mom, show her you are ready to be a man and take on responsibility. 4. Not sure what your finances are but, I came from a larger family, when I asked for a bike, the answer was, we donot have the money for that. Ok, I got a paper route and not only bought all my bikes, gear & parts, but also my own school clothes. I also found out that girls like money ! Never had a problem with girlfriends with a wad of cash in wallet! I raced my first race when I was in the 10th grade, all on my own dime, My bike was 5 years old, but did not matter, I was hooked. My Mom knew it was something I had to do.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
2/7/2015 7:04am
So what kind of kid are you?
school: bad good excellent?
do you have siblings that they also take care of?
relationship with parents: bad good excellent?
are your parents financially able to let you race?
do you spend a lot of time in front of the computer monitor or outside kind of kid?
All these things affect how they think. Most parents try to support their kids
if they can and if the kid is doing things to better them self.
Assuming you're doing the things to gain you parents respect by your actions
other than the bulk of kids that just act like they are entitled. the first step is
going to be to find the reason why your mom isn't supportive. You will have to
be patient in getting that answer as she will be evasive and eventually, with attentive
respectful questioning you will wear her down. Once you know what her objections are
you can work on changing them. All the while understanding that they don't have to do
this just because you are their son. but making them want to do this because you are
being a model son helping the rest of their life run smooth.
Being a parent is no easy task, the easier you make it for them, the more motivated they are
to help you do what you want.
slipdog
2/7/2015 7:36am
All I had to do to get my first "Race bike" was be good in school and get on the teacher's level 4 list.

Each week if you were good or bad, you'd move up or down a level. I was on level 0(shocker!), it took me 4 weeks of my best behavior to get to the top level and as promised my dad got me a new KX60. After my first race at Sandhill Ranch my dad was as hooked with the sport as I was and I never had to get to level 4 again... Tongue
2/7/2015 7:41am
Good luck. My parents wouldn't let me have a bike or race. I didn't get my first race bike till I moved out.
Trav138
2/7/2015 7:59am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 8:00am
Bud
They probably are not going to let you race, no matter what or how good you are towards them. Sorry but many many kids go through this.
Get a job, cut grass whatever, and get a used two stroke ride trails, practice days, meet friends and ride as much as you can.
When you turn 18 you can work and race without their consent. Good luck
edgo897
2/7/2015 8:17am
My dad was totally against me and my brother even having dirtbikes. We didn't live with him so mom let us ride and race. My dad lived twenty minutes from Gatorback and he came out to watch. After practice he was showing me lines.
Osaka627
2/7/2015 8:26am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 8:28am
norman151 wrote:
I think it's quite interesting how nearly every single if not all Ex Pro's who have been racing or riding dirtbikes their whole lives since they were 4 years old all have this same EXACT outlook. Including myself.. My father owned a Suzuki Dealership and a Multi State Family Owned Heavy Construction Company I got my first JR50 when I was 2. Was racing by 4. Had 2 District 27 Titles by 6, and had already been to Loretta Lynn's twice at 6 as well. I was burnt out on racing by the age of 12. Didn't touch a bike again until I was 16. Yet between that four year gap my Dad would still buy new bikes every year trying to get my to race. When I was 18 after HS I got the Fire, drive, & motivation back, but the edge was gone. Never was the same rider... Was able to get obtain a SX license and qualified for at Seattle in 2009, and retired immediately after the race. Haven't rode or touched a bike since. If you ever here a Pro get asked if their children are going to race every single one says NO. I think it's because we all know the giant strain it puts on most families even the wealthy. The only exception to this that I have EVER seen is CR22. It's crazy how bitter we're towards the sport that we know and love. My Dad asks me all the time if my children will race if that day comes. I'm 25 now and I tell him No every time and he doesn't understand why. I just simply answer with "My kids going to be a field goal kicker. Boy or girl, fat or skinny, athletic or not. As long as he or she can hit a 60 yard field goal 9 out of 10 times they are guaranteed a million plus a year for about 20 years straight injury free." I am serious too. Start them young with proper form and technique that's the key, but if the either party isn't fully committed it will only go so far.
Hut
2/7/2015 8:30am

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
2/7/2015 8:42am
Trav138 wrote:
Bud They probably are not going to let you race, no matter what or how good you are towards them. Sorry but many many kids go...
Bud
They probably are not going to let you race, no matter what or how good you are towards them. Sorry but many many kids go through this.
Get a job, cut grass whatever, and get a used two stroke ride trails, practice days, meet friends and ride as much as you can.
When you turn 18 you can work and race without their consent. Good luck
This
Trav138
2/7/2015 8:47am
Osaka627 wrote:
I think it's quite interesting how nearly every single if not all Ex Pro's who have been racing or riding dirtbikes their whole lives since they...
I think it's quite interesting how nearly every single if not all Ex Pro's who have been racing or riding dirtbikes their whole lives since they were 4 years old all have this same EXACT outlook. Including myself.. My father owned a Suzuki Dealership and a Multi State Family Owned Heavy Construction Company I got my first JR50 when I was 2. Was racing by 4. Had 2 District 27 Titles by 6, and had already been to Loretta Lynn's twice at 6 as well. I was burnt out on racing by the age of 12. Didn't touch a bike again until I was 16. Yet between that four year gap my Dad would still buy new bikes every year trying to get my to race. When I was 18 after HS I got the Fire, drive, & motivation back, but the edge was gone. Never was the same rider... Was able to get obtain a SX license and qualified for at Seattle in 2009, and retired immediately after the race. Haven't rode or touched a bike since. If you ever here a Pro get asked if their children are going to race every single one says NO. I think it's because we all know the giant strain it puts on most families even the wealthy. The only exception to this that I have EVER seen is CR22. It's crazy how bitter we're towards the sport that we know and love. My Dad asks me all the time if my children will race if that day comes. I'm 25 now and I tell him No every time and he doesn't understand why. I just simply answer with "My kids going to be a field goal kicker. Boy or girl, fat or skinny, athletic or not. As long as he or she can hit a 60 yard field goal 9 out of 10 times they are guaranteed a million plus a year for about 20 years straight injury free." I am serious too. Start them young with proper form and technique that's the key, but if the either party isn't fully committed it will only go so far.
Jeez man why do you hang out here. Also you are very wrong about pros and their kids riding. I can think of many right off top of my head, Reed, Dubach, Surratt(sp) Deegan, Howerton, Larocco, Ferry and many more.
Just sounds like you had everything handed to you, maybe thats were your bittrness comes from.
Most families that keep things fun stay in the sport for life
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
2/7/2015 9:02am
norman151 wrote:
Osaka627 wrote:
I think it's quite interesting how nearly every single if not all Ex Pro's who have been racing or riding dirtbikes their whole lives since they...
You need to drink somr Keystone light to get rid of that bitter face.

As a guy who raced pro and hated his dad because of it, I let any of my kids race if they wanted. Plus I could name several pros who have kids that ride and enjoy it.

If you hate it so bad, why do you post?

Post a reply to: How do I convince my parents to let me race

The Latest