How Do YOU RIDE Your Bike?? Body Positioning Question

Osaka627
8/4/2015 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/6/2015 7:20am
Some friends were asking me last night how I manage to hold on to my bike so well despite lacking any feeling in my right throttle hand, and having a torn up left shoulder and clavicle from so many dislocations, breaks, and ligament tears along with the cortisone shots.... They aren't exactly 100% strength wise., . It's funny because I really haven't road in 5 years or so up until last weekend, and I've been so damn sore all week long I do not want to move. The last time I road or raced a bike on a track was at Seattle SX in 2010 and even then I was injured and hadn't road in 6 months. That was my last hurrah well... Up until last weekend. My back, neck, butt and legs are hurting!!! My hands are good, and my arms are fine! You would think after such time off my arms would be like rubber, and I was afraid I'd be able to hold on, but despite my lack of flow that I once had all was well!!

They laughed when I told them that I don't really hang on to the bike much at all, and let it do what it wants beneath me. I've been racing for 23 years, and can tell you what is going to happen in 99.9% of any situation so surprising me is difficult, and when I'm not tired, pushing, or training I'm well within my comfort zone, and within my safe bubble that wont pop unless something bizarre happens.

I think this is what separates a pro from a schmo after thinking about it. I believe in the 10,000 hour rule, and I know I've put in double that time on a bike in my life, but there is still much too be learned! I like watching the Vet Pro's ride who were blazing fast in their youth, but now have day jobs ride! They aren't pushing it, and are out just having fun! They're barely holding on to the bike! They aren't even really trying, and it comes with time, experience, knowledge, talent, and understanding of the way a MX bike works in general. I believe most of them hold on to the bike in a way or exactly the same as I do, but I've never asked the question to find out!

My index finger and thumb are usually not even locked while riding, and I'm using my knee's to grip the frame, tank, and seat to secure my position on the bike. That's what keeps me planted and seated in my riding position. Which for me is over the top of the bike. This also plays into why I don't need to hang on with my arms because I'm so far over the front of the bike that hanging on with my arms would be utterly useless and only cause arm pump. I keep my head almost parallel with my front number plate and I try not to let it drift behind it. If it does it means excess strength used to bring it back over the top, and that strength doesn't come from my arms. I'm using my knee's to keep me planted, and now I need to use my lower and upper back, neck strength, and stomach muscles to keep me in line rigid, over the top, planted, and loose all at once. That is what I"m really holding on to the bike with. I'm not holding on with my arms or hands I'm holding on with everything but them basically.

I guess that's why all MX racers that have been doing it for so long all have necks shaped like collegiate wrestlers, and the thighs of a slalom skiing sensations. I think people put to much emphassis on strength, cardio, and need to focus more on technique. My Dad taught me how to ride when I was 2 years old behind his Suzuki Dealership, and when I wasn't riding behind the store I was at home or in the Parts Department watching Gary Semic's riding tutorials, and one thing I'm happy I picked up from all that was good form, technique, and proper base. It seems as if nobody is teaching basic technique, form, or base anymore. From the trend in bar positioning, lever placement, and riding styles over the past 10 years it sure seems like we forgot the basics anyways. I've always believed in the idea that with proper form and technique your potential is limitless, but with bad form or technique you might be talented, but you will always be handicapped and putting a limit on your potential to improve.

So what are your riding form and body positioning things you do to stay on the bike without exerting all your energy through your arms and legs, and anything else you would like to add!

|
8/4/2015 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2015 4:07pm
Forget the basics.

That's the punch line. Guy like Villo, zero basics. Dungey...all the basics. But Villo is so fast, its caused amateurs to want to emulate him regardless. Even if he is a poster child for sitting down too much.
DJL219
Fantasy
3226th
8/4/2015 4:14pm
Three words. Wide Fuckin Open
Torco1
8/4/2015 4:31pm
I've had to adapt somewhat with the way I ride because of past injuries. I have a hip replacement in my right hip and my left ankle is destroyed and will need either replaced or fused in the future. Because of those two things alone I had to adjust a long time ago to protect both legs as much as possible. On almost every single jump I will reposition my body in the air in order to save my legs on the landings.....and it differs every time. Sometimes I'll need to favor my ankle and other times I need to favor my hip, it just depends on the jump really. I do it naturally now, I don't even think about it in the air, my body just automatically does it.

It's the same with crashes.....I know I can't ditch the bike mid-air when shit goes bad because coming down on either leg could be disastrous, so I'm pretty much forced to stay with the bike and hope for the best. I'm like a cat in the air on the rare occasions when I do end up flying off the bike, I twist and turn....but so that I DONT come down on my feet. I've screwed myself up in other areas though when doing that. As for the barely hanging onto the bike, I learned a long time ago that the looser you are on the bike....the better you will ride. I barely hang on as well and just let the bike do what it wants underneath me....until a certain point though. It's much better than fighting it for control.....that's when you end up on the ground.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
8/4/2015 4:34pm
I'm with Osaka on this one. I try to maintain the classic David Bailey style: grip with the knees, elbows up, head forward, centered on the bike.

The Shop

BobPA
8/4/2015 4:42pm
I guess I am pretty far forward to neutral all the time. I also stand a lot, especially through sweepers.

Stupid blurry editing

8/4/2015 5:27pm
I'm usually draped over the front with chest on bars. Feet normally pointed toward the sky, tongue resting on front fender.
Osaka627
8/4/2015 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2015 8:01pm
BobPA wrote:
I guess I am pretty far forward to neutral all the time. I also stand a lot, especially through sweepers. [URL=http://s817.photobucket.com/user/btf454/media/24BF9D14-0134-4A21-8B16-CF4E6C556FF7_zps6g9hebfd.png.html][IMG]http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/btf454/24BF9D14-0134-4A21-8B16-CF4E6C556FF7_zps6g9hebfd.png[/IMG][/URL] Stupid blurry editing [URL=http://s817.photobucket.com/user/btf454/media/EFD77B4D-D57F-4A8D-872D-B2139EF430C7_zpsba8hgnok.jpg.html][IMG]http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/btf454/EFD77B4D-D57F-4A8D-872D-B2139EF430C7_zpsba8hgnok.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s817.photobucket.com/user/btf454/media/97313A4E-6731-4511-B58B-BC5A7D66A50B_zps75dczzzw.jpg.html][IMG]http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/btf454/97313A4E-6731-4511-B58B-BC5A7D66A50B_zps75dczzzw.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I guess I am pretty far forward to neutral all the time. I also stand a lot, especially through sweepers.

Stupid blurry editing

Good Form Bob! Butt is a little high! Bend those knees a little more! Squat the shock, compress the spring, and click up! If that doesn't drop your butt I don't know what will!! Check my profile! I think I have a few pics of me riding on there. We look very similar.

I stand up too much too! You know you do when you don't even put your feet out in corners anymore! It's actually a bad habit because I wait too long to sit down sometimes and when I'm transitioning into exploding out of the corner I'm busy sitting down and making my pivot at the same time. That little error costs a few seconds a moto over the long run! There's no better feeling though than burying a 450 waste deep in a loamy sand berm after hitting it WFO third pinned both feet on pegs and dragging bars while standing up.
BobPA
8/4/2015 6:09pm
Osaka627 wrote:
Good Form Bob! Butt is a little high! Bend those knees a little more! Squat the shock, compress the spring, and click up! If that doesn't...
Good Form Bob! Butt is a little high! Bend those knees a little more! Squat the shock, compress the spring, and click up! If that doesn't drop your butt I don't know what will!! Check my profile! I think I have a few pics of me riding on there. We look very similar.

I stand up too much too! You know you do when you don't even put your feet out in corners anymore! It's actually a bad habit because I wait too long to sit down sometimes and when I'm transitioning into exploding out of the corner I'm busy sitting down and making my pivot at the same time. That little error costs a few seconds a moto over the long run! There's no better feeling though than burying a 450 waste deep in a loamy sand berm after hitting it WFO third pinned both feet on pegs and dragging bars while standing up.
Good eye, I tend to keep my legs a bit too straight haha, but at this point I think it is a habit that will never go away. If you ever noticed Millsaps has a very similar standing position. At least that's what I tell myself.... I think growing up riding so much rocky fast terrain makes me never want to sit.

Rdubs19
8/4/2015 6:16pm
I like to keep the front light, steer with the back and use the outside, sweeping lines. To me that's the most fun and for whatever reason I seem to crash less. I agree completely about letting the bike move beneath you, and I'll steer with my hips and torso more than my knees. I also keep more weight on the back for mountain biking and try to float the front over whatever I can, sort of brutish compared to having finesse and good lines but it just works for me.
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
8/4/2015 7:31pm
For me, strength training with an emphasis on the big 3 (squats, deadlifts, and bench) have lead to a solid core and balance that seem to have helped me a ton on the bike. I do a lot of mountain biking and running as well but try to strike the balance of not being a complete string bean. It's amazing how much more confident you feel when you have power in your legs and core on the bike. I tend to stand a lot and let the bike do its thing beneath me. I also dropped from a 450 to a 250 recently and feel that I am now riding the bike, not the bike taking me for a ride.
8/4/2015 7:36pm
Leg up as high as possible In turns as long as nuts on the gas tank. I have a problem with elbow positioning but never saw a problem with it. I like to sit more than most riders something I need to work on. L

Crush
8/4/2015 7:38pm
jeffro503
8/4/2015 7:45pm
@Osaka , all great points man! For me I like to stay neutral towards the center / front of the bike. I think I was further forward in my younger years , but age has slid my ass towards the back a little more. It also depends on how I feel that specific day too. Most of the time it's riding around the track at 50% - 75% most of the time and just trying to put laps in , for the fitness aspect. More or less working on skill and technique , finding fun lines on the track , hitting that next timing section just perfect , looking for the perfect way to hit that rutted corner.

But besides all that , very cool to hear that you got back on a bike again! even though you're in a little pain , you gotta have a smile on your face , and enough ambition to maybe get back into doing some weekend warrior practice stuff? If you do and head south , hit me up. Great bunch of dudes down here , and it's what we live for.
Osaka627
8/4/2015 8:09pm
Osaka627 wrote:
Good Form Bob! Butt is a little high! Bend those knees a little more! Squat the shock, compress the spring, and click up! If that doesn't...

BobPA wrote:
Good eye, I tend to keep my legs a bit too straight haha, but at this point I think it is a habit that will never...
Good eye, I tend to keep my legs a bit too straight haha, but at this point I think it is a habit that will never go away. If you ever noticed Millsaps has a very similar standing position. At least that's what I tell myself.... I think growing up riding so much rocky fast terrain makes me never want to sit.

Bob do you want to know who I honestly thought when I saw you waving dat ass everywhere like DD in Dirt Shark Video??

TP199. After his spine got fused I think he lost a lot of the motion in his hips. Guy is stiff hipped and is knees don't bend anymore.

I'm just giving you crap though bud. Nice pictures form looks good. It's the Internet and sarcasm is necessary. In honesty though I haven't seen you ride, but if the pictures tell the tale. Quit riding in the arches of your boot, and get on the balls. It will make your knees drop forward in essence bringing your butt down and weight farther forward. Not to mention you won't need to replace the arches or soles on your boots every 6 months. What do you think about them apples?
Osaka627
8/4/2015 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2015 8:25pm
jeffro503 wrote:
@Osaka , all great points man! For me I like to stay neutral towards the center / front of the bike. I think I was further...
@Osaka , all great points man! For me I like to stay neutral towards the center / front of the bike. I think I was further forward in my younger years , but age has slid my ass towards the back a little more. It also depends on how I feel that specific day too. Most of the time it's riding around the track at 50% - 75% most of the time and just trying to put laps in , for the fitness aspect. More or less working on skill and technique , finding fun lines on the track , hitting that next timing section just perfect , looking for the perfect way to hit that rutted corner.

But besides all that , very cool to hear that you got back on a bike again! even though you're in a little pain , you gotta have a smile on your face , and enough ambition to maybe get back into doing some weekend warrior practice stuff? If you do and head south , hit me up. Great bunch of dudes down here , and it's what we live for.
What's up??? I remember you calling me out a few months back asking if I'm the kid your friend use to know or something like that??? Who is your friend and who are you again? Without a last name in this sport you know how difficult it is to identify!! I messaged you actually and never heard back. Add me on FB or something. I don't usually head down South. I still have nightmares about the headaches Josh Hill, Sean Haberlock, & Chris Johnson used too give me down at Woodland on Mini's till this day. LOL. I try not to venture much further than that!

Honestly I didn't even ride my bikes and it wasn't on a real track. I went trail riding for the first time in my life. We went on 120 mile ride through Mt Rainier. We parked at Green Water Snow Park and rode up to Whistlin' Jacks and made a few wrong turns and ended up in Cle Elum around 1:00 AM. Luckily we got fuel at Jacks and had Head Lights and Lamps. We made it back to the Snowpark around 2:30 AM, and where back in Enumclaw right by Devol extremely tired, slightly grumpy, totally satisfied, but long overdue for his bed time at around 4:00 AM. I was riding my bosses KTM 450 EXC 2014 with full plates, tabs, and lights. It was really fun!!! It was a great stress reliever. Never thought I'd go trail riding and enjoy it, but I did.
kmk371
8/4/2015 8:40pm
at 6'3" its taken me a long time to get a comfortable ridding position. When I move forward or back my weight is a lot further out than most peoples causing the chassis to never work/ settle right. If I'm too far forward (sitting on the tank) then the forks dive and I can't steer. And I'm not very comfortable with hanging off the back because then my ass will literally be hanging off the fender. So my technique is normally pretty boring looking as I'm always fairly neutral on the bike and don't move a ton (sorta pourcel-ish). If I'm on a smooth track I'll sit a lot, but if the track is rough then I'll stand almost the whole track. A lot of my trail riding background helps there I think. My achilles heal has always been my inability to look far ahead through a turn and I always drop my right arm when I accelerate from too many broken wrists and a lack of re-gripping. When I see video of myself I look terribly slow and boring but can still go just as fast as the kid hanging off his bike.

Osaka627
8/4/2015 9:19pm
kmk371 wrote:
at 6'3" its taken me a long time to get a comfortable ridding position. When I move forward or back my weight is a lot further...
at 6'3" its taken me a long time to get a comfortable ridding position. When I move forward or back my weight is a lot further out than most peoples causing the chassis to never work/ settle right. If I'm too far forward (sitting on the tank) then the forks dive and I can't steer. And I'm not very comfortable with hanging off the back because then my ass will literally be hanging off the fender. So my technique is normally pretty boring looking as I'm always fairly neutral on the bike and don't move a ton (sorta pourcel-ish). If I'm on a smooth track I'll sit a lot, but if the track is rough then I'll stand almost the whole track. A lot of my trail riding background helps there I think. My achilles heal has always been my inability to look far ahead through a turn and I always drop my right arm when I accelerate from too many broken wrists and a lack of re-gripping. When I see video of myself I look terribly slow and boring but can still go just as fast as the kid hanging off his bike.

Yes, but bigger guys destroy corners and ruts. I mean literally destroy them. I watched Jimmy Lamastus bend an Excel A60 into a slightly oversized taco after dropping into a corner at Richland one year. Check out footage of Robbie Reynard riding from the sounds of it.. Seems like you would look a lot like him while riding!! Extremely smooth old school straight backed riding style that is neutral on the bike like but instead of forcing it like Mike LaRocco you can use your weight and distribution of mass you manipulate the bike into doing what you want.

Also seems like your KTM may be flexing under your size and strength!! Personally I think big guys should ride either a KX or YZ. They're both straight line rocket ships that are extremely stable, but the young kids don't like them because their not exactly known for their turning capabilities. Also I've known everyone who has ever owned a KTM describes the Euro feel as riding on top of the bike and not in or within the bike. Maybe a change of industry colors and stripes is what you need!

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
8/4/2015 9:55pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2015 9:57pm
I tend to hang over the back a lot. Either way off the back or silly looking hanging wayyy over the front when I'm accelerating from slow. Either way my knees are gripping and I keep my shins in a vertical position. There are a few things I could work on my arms being my worst offense but I'm comfortable being off the back of the bike it's working for me right now and it sure is fun. I do need to sit more forward in turns though and lean my head in.

This one is just embarrassing, but hey I didn't crash

Fresh
Fantasy
3281st
8/4/2015 10:21pm

I find this position works well for me?
Osaka627
8/4/2015 10:38pm
I tend to hang over the back a lot. Either way off the back or silly looking hanging wayyy over the front when I'm accelerating from...
I tend to hang over the back a lot. Either way off the back or silly looking hanging wayyy over the front when I'm accelerating from slow. Either way my knees are gripping and I keep my shins in a vertical position. There are a few things I could work on my arms being my worst offense but I'm comfortable being off the back of the bike it's working for me right now and it sure is fun. I do need to sit more forward in turns though and lean my head in.

This one is just embarrassing, but hey I didn't crash

Stefan Everts won many world titles with that same exact style of riding and approach.

You mentioned your elbows, and I see what you're saying. One thing you can try to help keep them up is only use your middle finger for clutch and front brake. The tendons in your arm will automatically raise your elbows if you only use your middle finger. If you use your index finger you probably don't even notice it, but the tendons in that finger seem to run under my forarm and tend to drag the elbows down toward the ground. When you read this pull your fake clutch lever in front of you with each finger and notice where the tendons push your elbow and you will understand what I'm saying. Notice in the pictures above how their elbows and arms almost make a horshoe like appearance? Try working on that. It will help you with side aches if you get them, arm pump for sure, and it will give you a much more centered stable and predictable approach. From the looks of things I bet you struggle with hard pack rutted corners with no berm and struggle even worse with ones without either a rut nor berm to put your front wheel against. By raising your elbows you will broaden your base strengthening it in entirety. It will grant you leverage, balance, flexibility , and strength. It will help your cornering a lot, your braking ability the most, and your ability to be photogenic ten fold. Some peoples drop wrists because of past injuries, bar positioning, and lever positions mostly are to blame though. Anything else is just an unharnessed action that isn't benefitting you. Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. Remember that when training technique. You're on a 125, and looks fairly sandy where you're. It's understandable why you're riding the rear of that bike! You need all the power and momentum you can get!
jeffro503
8/4/2015 10:51pm
jeffro503 wrote:
@Osaka , all great points man! For me I like to stay neutral towards the center / front of the bike. I think I was further...

Osaka627 wrote:
What's up??? I remember you calling me out a few months back asking if I'm the kid your friend use to know or something like that...
What's up??? I remember you calling me out a few months back asking if I'm the kid your friend use to know or something like that??? Who is your friend and who are you again? Without a last name in this sport you know how difficult it is to identify!! I messaged you actually and never heard back. Add me on FB or something. I don't usually head down South. I still have nightmares about the headaches Josh Hill, Sean Haberlock, & Chris Johnson used too give me down at Woodland on Mini's till this day. LOL. I try not to venture much further than that!

Honestly I didn't even ride my bikes and it wasn't on a real track. I went trail riding for the first time in my life. We went on 120 mile ride through Mt Rainier. We parked at Green Water Snow Park and rode up to Whistlin' Jacks and made a few wrong turns and ended up in Cle Elum around 1:00 AM. Luckily we got fuel at Jacks and had Head Lights and Lamps. We made it back to the Snowpark around 2:30 AM, and where back in Enumclaw right by Devol extremely tired, slightly grumpy, totally satisfied, but long overdue for his bed time at around 4:00 AM. I was riding my bosses KTM 450 EXC 2014 with full plates, tabs, and lights. It was really fun!!! It was a great stress reliever. Never thought I'd go trail riding and enjoy it, but I did.
No way brother , I wasn't hasslen' ya. I just mentioned that I knew a couple younger guys that rode / raced with you that you kind of knew. Cody Herzog is one of them , and I kind of know Chris Johnson as well ( knew his dad Phil pretty good in the day )

I never got a PM from you though. It always goes to the same place , so it didn't come my way. Just saw your post here and thought it was cool that you got back on a bike again. Smile
nytsmaC
8/5/2015 1:00am
Crush wrote:
[img]https://41.media.tumblr.com/540332348cc16f6f2351df923331cef3/tumblr_mgx0jtWzVJ1rv7rdso1_500.jpg[/img]
Sheeeeit...

nytsmaC
8/5/2015 1:52am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 1:54am
One thing I've found, being tall (6'6) and eternally out of shape, trying to follow the basics and use proper technique seems very difficult and unnatural. This is where core strength would be a game changer. Since I started racing again I've won my class two years in a row (MX2 C) despite using bad form and technique. I know that shit won't get me anywhere in B class next year so I need to get serious about fitness and correct my bad habits, or stick to the +30 Open and 2stroke classes. I'm looking forward to the challenge of raising my game so that i can hold my own in the B class and not get left for dead..

Do the Semics tapes apply as much to modern bikes as much as they did back in the day? And have any other really tall guys had success with all of his techniques or do we have some special needs that require us to stray from the program?
Radical
Fantasy
2321st
8/5/2015 1:53am
I try to keep my weight neutral, meaning there shouldn't be much pull or push on my arms.
I stand up all the time, really crouching, except somewhat in the corners. I say somewhat because often my butt is close to the seat, but I'm actually standing with the outside peg weighted, and just a bit of weight on the seat.

On straightaways I find myself weighting the back wheel a bit to keep it from wandering in the rough.

I try to move the bike separate from my body. The better I get at this, the faster I corner.

Elbows up in tight stuff, but down on fast straightaways. It feels more stable and that it would be hard to kick me over the bars.

I ride a 125. You have to adjust your body constantly.

Levers are pointed down so they're where they can be easily reached when riding standing up with elbows up.
VET176
8/5/2015 2:20am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 2:31am
I'm a huncher. I only noticed after seeing some photos of me racing. Not sure If I do it play riding.

Crush
8/5/2015 6:08am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2015 6:09am
nytsmaC wrote:
One thing I've found, being tall (6'6) and eternally out of shape, trying to follow the basics and use proper technique seems very difficult and unnatural...
One thing I've found, being tall (6'6) and eternally out of shape, trying to follow the basics and use proper technique seems very difficult and unnatural. This is where core strength would be a game changer. Since I started racing again I've won my class two years in a row (MX2 C) despite using bad form and technique. I know that shit won't get me anywhere in B class next year so I need to get serious about fitness and correct my bad habits, or stick to the +30 Open and 2stroke classes. I'm looking forward to the challenge of raising my game so that i can hold my own in the B class and not get left for dead..

Do the Semics tapes apply as much to modern bikes as much as they did back in the day? And have any other really tall guys had success with all of his techniques or do we have some special needs that require us to stray from the program?
Yep.

Not riding, but I'm same height as you. I find I either stand or the time or sit or the time–and only transition often when i'm not exhausted!
8/5/2015 6:44am
To your point about gripping- if you look at Stewart's fingers in a lot of scrub shots, he's barely holding on. It takes confidence...look at his hand here.

BobPA
8/5/2015 6:53am
Osaka627 wrote:

BobPA wrote:
Good eye, I tend to keep my legs a bit too straight haha, but at this point I think it is a habit that will never...

Osaka627 wrote:
Bob do you want to know who I honestly thought when I saw you waving dat ass everywhere like DD in Dirt Shark Video?? TP199. After...
Bob do you want to know who I honestly thought when I saw you waving dat ass everywhere like DD in Dirt Shark Video??

TP199. After his spine got fused I think he lost a lot of the motion in his hips. Guy is stiff hipped and is knees don't bend anymore.

I'm just giving you crap though bud. Nice pictures form looks good. It's the Internet and sarcasm is necessary. In honesty though I haven't seen you ride, but if the pictures tell the tale. Quit riding in the arches of your boot, and get on the balls. It will make your knees drop forward in essence bringing your butt down and weight farther forward. Not to mention you won't need to replace the arches or soles on your boots every 6 months. What do you think about them apples?
Haha in my defense I am landing on a descent sized table in that picture. I am actually pretty good about riding on the balls of my feet, I do not wear boots at all. i haven't redden since April...I can't wait to see how bad my technique will be when I come back.

Post a reply to: How Do YOU RIDE Your Bike?? Body Positioning Question

The Latest