How Did You Get Started In Motocross...

Bressler11
Edited Date/Time 9/14/2014 12:48pm
A little about my self... I'm 16, I work about 30 hours a week as a food runner at a local country club to support my racing. My dad got me into the sport when I was 4 when him and my mom divorced. He wanted me to stick around so he bought me a Brand new Pw-50 in 2002. We raced hard on 50's and 65's just about every weekend out of the year I had the local speed. We made it out of LL Area Qualifiers but never past regionals. We have also gone to the ArenaCross world finals in Las Vegas. All was good until 2009 when I bumped up to 85's I Had 2 friends pass due to injuries sustained while Racing Almost Back to Back. I practically got out of the sport. We rode but it was on and off. Money was tight (when I was on 125's I had a clapped out 02 yz125). So here is where the job comes into play, I started August 1st of last year I saved till about october and bought brand new 2011 kx 250f with 5 laps on it from a friend of my dad's who barely rode it. The bike scarred him. So much that I picked it up for $3500. I got my dad back into the sport with me. He took me down to florida for a week for ride in january. As well as a trip to JWTF in North Carolina. That trip changed my Dad. Two days later he picked up a leftover 2013 kx 250f from Cernics for $5700 OTD. We raced about 25 weekends this year I haven't been this bonded with my dad for about 5 years.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
9/10/2014 6:34pm
Might want to loose the - r - in 'motorcross' before guys go medieval you......
RbR
9/10/2014 6:44pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Might want to loose the - r - in 'motorcross' before guys go medieval you......
Bressler11
9/10/2014 6:47pm
Thanks Guys, I'm new on here it seem's to me like there are some true "gems." On this site
hvaughn88
9/10/2014 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2014 6:55pm
Bressler11 wrote:
A little about my self... I'm 16, I work about 30 hours a week as a food runner at a local country club to support my...
A little about my self... I'm 16, I work about 30 hours a week as a food runner at a local country club to support my racing. My dad got me into the sport when I was 4 when him and my mom divorced. He wanted me to stick around so he bought me a Brand new Pw-50 in 2002. We raced hard on 50's and 65's just about every weekend out of the year I had the local speed. We made it out of LL Area Qualifiers but never past regionals. We have also gone to the ArenaCross world finals in Las Vegas. All was good until 2009 when I bumped up to 85's I Had 2 friends pass due to injuries sustained while Racing Almost Back to Back. I practically got out of the sport. We rode but it was on and off. Money was tight (when I was on 125's I had a clapped out 02 yz125). So here is where the job comes into play, I started August 1st of last year I saved till about october and bought brand new 2011 kx 250f with 5 laps on it from a friend of my dad's who barely rode it. The bike scarred him. So much that I picked it up for $3500. I got my dad back into the sport with me. He took me down to florida for a week for ride in january. As well as a trip to JWTF in North Carolina. That trip changed my Dad. Two days later he picked up a leftover 2013 kx 250f from Cernics for $5700 OTD. We raced about 25 weekends this year I haven't been this bonded with my dad for about 5 years.
Very cool story, bressler. My pops got me started too (like most). Traveling to the races is definitely some of my favorite memories with my pops. I raced up until I was about 13 and by that time I was too busy with football and baseball. Now I'm married, couple kids, business, just busy. But my dad showed with a pw50 he bought for my son last year who was 4 at the time. So of course I had to get a bike, haha. Found a decent little '03 rm 125 with a 144 kit. Don't really ride it much right now though. I'm self employed so I'm trying to figure out a plan for health insurance, so until I get that ironed out, I won't ride. My son likes it ok, but not just in love with it. Moto seems like one of those "you either have it in you or you don't" types of things, and I don't know that he does. To tell you the truth, I think I'm ok with him not having it in him. I hate to sound like a d-bag, but the sport just seems like it comes with higher consequences injury-wise these days. He really likes bmx and all the typical sports, so I figure that will be where his interests are. Anyhoo, that's probably way more than y'all wanted to know about me, haha

The Shop

Bressler11
9/10/2014 6:55pm
So Back to the Question... How did you get started in the sport?
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
9/10/2014 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2014 7:04pm
My brother is 13 years older than me and owned several motorcycles in 1976. He worked two jobs and bought me a XR75 and a MR50 when I was 7 that I started racing on and payed for everything for me because my parents were not interested in seeing either of their sons injured on motorcycles, but did allow me to race as long as they didn't have to pay for anything. Smile

I raced motocross for many years and then started Road Racing in 1988 and AMA RR Nationals in 1990. Throughout all of my racing over 30+ years I think my brother has missed less than 10 of my races. Even through many injuries over the years I have always been very grateful for my brother getting me into racing.
mx_563
9/10/2014 7:08pm
It's about 1982 and little 7.5 year old mx_563 is hanging out at River's End RV Park off Soledad Canyon Rd. outside Santa Clarita, CA. On the other side of the river is a fire road and some kid is zooming around on a bright red Honda CR80.

mx_563 is hooked and the rest, as they say...is sweet moto history.

(it would be another 6 years before I would get a bike, and roughly four more after that before I ever lined up behind a gate)

RandyS
9/10/2014 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2014 7:11pm
In 1968 my dad came home from work, he came into the house and asked me to get his lunchbox out of the truck. When I got outside there was a brand new blue Z50K1 in the back, I was 6. There wasn't really motocross in the US at that point but my dad raced flattrack along with some scrambles and enduros so I was pretty much born into it.
Excaliburbmx
9/10/2014 7:28pm
Bressler11 wrote:
A little about my self... I'm 16, I work about 30 hours a week as a food runner at a local country club to support my...
That is like the notebook for guys. Great story enjoy every minute.
hillbilly
9/10/2014 7:32pm
Dad raced scrambles on a BSA 650 and TRIUMPH 650 in thelate 60s . He kept the BSA till I was about 4,he used to ride wheelies up the road with me sitting on the tank.

In 73 he bought a Suzuki ts 185 ,i was 10, and I learned on it in the feild and woods here at the farm. It had Preston petty plastic and a hooker pipe,cool old bike.

Next year he bought a 73 Yamaha mx 360 that I still have. We went racing,I was so short that he would hold the fender while waiting on the rubberband to snap. After a few holeshots onthat 360 the men complained so i started by standing beside it and hopping on the seat when the tiretool was yanked.

Still have the leathers and full bore boots I wore.
bigborefan
9/10/2014 7:33pm
I cant really say. I think I was just born with the motorcycle gene activated.
jgmxdad251
9/10/2014 7:41pm
14 years ago I installed my neighbors air conditioning and he gave me a xr70 for the labor and took me and my son riding for the first time. I will never forget that day! I rode an xr100 that day and was hooked for life! One month laterI I bought a 98 kx250. My son was already racing BMX and the transition to motocross was fairly easy and with BMX and Motocross my son,wife and i made memories that none of us will forget. Wish I would of started riding earlier in my life, 45 now.
JerseyFresh
9/10/2014 7:53pm
My dad got me an 86ish Big Wheel 80 at a flea market. I was fortunate enough to eh hem, trespass on a neighbor thru the woods whoop track that happened to be a Factory B team guy for Maico back in the day. The saga began....
Bressler11
9/10/2014 7:56pm
These are some pretty cool stories guys, Thanks...
9/10/2014 8:03pm
My brother and I got an XR70 on our seventh Christmas. My brother and I wanted nothing more than to ride dirtbikes like our dad. Some of you old schools guys might know him if you ever raced in Fredericksburg, VA when White Oak existed. Anyways, fell over in the yard 5 minutes into riding and wanted nothing to do with it for about a week. Sacked up a few days later and I haven't stopped riding since than. My dad and my brother, although still passionate about the sport, have both hung up their riding boots though.
Bressler11
9/10/2014 8:07pm
My brother and I got an XR70 on our seventh Christmas. My brother and I wanted nothing more than to ride dirtbikes like our dad. Some...
My brother and I got an XR70 on our seventh Christmas. My brother and I wanted nothing more than to ride dirtbikes like our dad. Some of you old schools guys might know him if you ever raced in Fredericksburg, VA when White Oak existed. Anyways, fell over in the yard 5 minutes into riding and wanted nothing to do with it for about a week. Sacked up a few days later and I haven't stopped riding since than. My dad and my brother, although still passionate about the sport, have both hung up their riding boots though.
How far is Action Town from you?
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
9/10/2014 8:16pm
I would like to say I was just born a bad ass but it took a little work to get there, Ha Ha. I'm going to have to dig up a photo I have with my Dad. It is of us sitting on his bike when I was 2 months old. At 2 years old, I kept getting yelled at for climbing up on his bike and going vrrrrmrmmmm!. It fell over and I got 13 stitches and a chip of bone out of my skull. I like to say that was my first crash. Funny how that is one of my earliest memories. When I was in Kindergarten I was having trouble reading. I absolutely hated kids books, stupid stories and especially comics. The only thing that would draw my attention was dirt bike magazines. So Mom got me magazines every trip we went to the grocery store. I would read them from cover to cover until they were torn like Christmas wrapping. I literally learned to read from dirt bike magazines and I still blame MXA for my poor grammar.

I started riding at 4 which was pretty early back then. It was so much fun because Mom, Dad, my sister and I all rode. Hanging around with older kids, I would ride anything in the neighborhood from street bikes to XR's. Many bikes where I couldn't touch the ground. I remember one of my Dad's friends had an 83' CR 125 that he said I couldn't ride unless I could start it and take off myself. I was a pro at starting that thing with my left leg, running around to the clutch side, putting it in gear, jumping up and taking off without falling over.
I got my KX 60, started racing at 7 and was 80 expert when I was 13 with some sweet RM 80's. At 15 I started riding big bikes. At 16 I had a KX 125 and a KX 250 and was spending all my weekends riding out of the bike shops team van. I raced 1 local race in C class, went to the district, signed up for C and the gate was way full. They asked if anybody wanted to race B and me and a 4 others stepped up. I was stuck in B from there on. I raced a lot of arena cross and then was in A at 17. Those days, people were proud to get moved up.

I had a big crash when I was 18 and it left me on crutches for 9 months. After that work, school and life took over but I never stopped riding.

9/10/2014 8:49pm
Bressler11 wrote:
How far is Action Town from you?
Two and a half hours from my families house in northern Virginia, and two and a half hours from my school in southern Virginia. My school is 45 minutes from Lake Sugartree. Is Action Town any good? I've been to Southfork, and I love it! By the way, ever go to Breezewood? How far are you from Breezewood?
plowboy
9/10/2014 11:25pm
I recognize my addiction in some of these stories. We lived out in the Oklahoma sticks. About 1970 a friend got a mini bike from Oklahoma Tire and Supply(OTASCO). He let me ride it...all the way to the scene of the crash. A few stitches in the knee and a tetanus shot didn't prevent the infection of bat shit crazy dirt bike madness. My mom was a truck driver so on one of her stops at home she brought me an extremely used '68 Suzuki 50 Gaucho just to stop my begging. I pretty much lived on that thing night and day. A guy named Gary Mack lived in our little town (a local badass at Blood Sweat and Gears in Stillwater and Guthrie and Ponca City). He took me to the races where he won both motos on his TM400 Cyclone( I told you he was a badass). Fast forward...I saved my money and bought a Kawi 125 and rode and raced the guts out of it. Joined the Air Force, bought a 75 MX400 and shipped it to England and raced there when I could. After Desert Storm I bought aan XR600 and got into HS. Got to old to hump that behemoth around so noW I ride a YZ250F. Sorry for th3 long post...I.'m old.
PFitzG38
9/11/2014 12:12am
A Classic Motocross Tale From The Early Years - For Racers Of A Certain Age

Funny I found this thread. about a year ago I started telling my story - more so I wouldn't forget it. I never finished it but here is what I had so far. Click here to read entire story

I very first remember riding what must have been a Taco Minibike at the Pomona Fair right about the time I learned to ride a two wheeler. They would let a few of us go in circles at the same time, all I remember is lapping everybody and completely loving it!...

.......It took 3 or 4 years of constant nagging to finally get a Honda MR50

I had never actually ridden a motorcycle; other than the one time I crashed a rich neighborhood kids CT70 almost completely through his wooden fence........

........I watched Marty Tripes win the very first Superbowl of Motocross, then I saw him do it again, then I saw Jaroslav Falta do it. The MX bug was really starting to take hold, and I really wanted an XR75!

I remember having Jeff Wards dad Jack at J.W.R.P. and Harry from Harrys Cycle Sales walk me through my first piston and valve job over the phone........

......Little did I know that the NMA Western Region was the fastest region in the country and I was on my way and didn't even know it!
PFitzG38
9/11/2014 12:32am
Bressler11 wrote:
Cool story kid, and great post. Thats what racing is all about, sorry to hear about your buds. This will end up being a really cool thread, and I'm looking forward to taking some time with it tomorrow - I bet it grows by then. It will be interesting to see the similarities to people stories that are in the same age group. Like my influences and first bikes are completely different than yours, but probably similar to someone that remembers the original screening of On Any Sunday. But a racers passion will always be the same. Keep the rubber side down and have fun.
PFitzG38
9/11/2014 1:08am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Very cool story, bressler. My pops got me started too (like most). Traveling to the races is definitely some of my favorite memories with my pops...
Very cool story, bressler. My pops got me started too (like most). Traveling to the races is definitely some of my favorite memories with my pops. I raced up until I was about 13 and by that time I was too busy with football and baseball. Now I'm married, couple kids, business, just busy. But my dad showed with a pw50 he bought for my son last year who was 4 at the time. So of course I had to get a bike, haha. Found a decent little '03 rm 125 with a 144 kit. Don't really ride it much right now though. I'm self employed so I'm trying to figure out a plan for health insurance, so until I get that ironed out, I won't ride. My son likes it ok, but not just in love with it. Moto seems like one of those "you either have it in you or you don't" types of things, and I don't know that he does. To tell you the truth, I think I'm ok with him not having it in him. I hate to sound like a d-bag, but the sport just seems like it comes with higher consequences injury-wise these days. He really likes bmx and all the typical sports, so I figure that will be where his interests are. Anyhoo, that's probably way more than y'all wanted to know about me, haha
I think you are def right about either having the moto gene in you or not. I can spot it pretty easily after predicting accurately the last few years for a bunch of my friends kids. It has nothing to do with gender or size, your born with it.

I think it skips generations and one parent that has it can cancel out the other and vice versa when passing on the gene. Something about wheels, gravity, balance, getting back up after falling and I think someone letting go of a stroller at one point.

I also think those Strider things can actually induce and enhance the moto gene in little guys and gals that would otherwise be perfectly happy playing with mud pies or dolls. One neighbors kid has it. The other doesn't. My friends daughter has it, his son not so much.

I can totally see your point about maybe not wanting to have your kid race. It's a shame to deprive a kid of the chance to ride a motorcycle through the dirt without him wanting to race or ride on the street. It's a tough one. BTW you do know that BMX is a gateway drug right? Although, the fact that he's tried it and it hasn't taken hold may be a good sign. Good on ya for not riding without insurance with a family and a biz.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
9/11/2014 1:27am
Bressler11 wrote:
That is so cool!
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
9/11/2014 1:30am
gsxrcr28 wrote:
My brother is 13 years older than me and owned several motorcycles in 1976. He worked two jobs and bought me a XR75 and a MR50...
My brother is 13 years older than me and owned several motorcycles in 1976. He worked two jobs and bought me a XR75 and a MR50 when I was 7 that I started racing on and payed for everything for me because my parents were not interested in seeing either of their sons injured on motorcycles, but did allow me to race as long as they didn't have to pay for anything. Smile

I raced motocross for many years and then started Road Racing in 1988 and AMA RR Nationals in 1990. Throughout all of my racing over 30+ years I think my brother has missed less than 10 of my races. Even through many injuries over the years I have always been very grateful for my brother getting me into racing.
That's a great big brother to do that for you!
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
9/11/2014 1:45am
So, my dad bought my brother and I Taco minibikes when I was about 8 maybe? which we rode the crap out of.
When I was 12 my parents went to a party at my Dad's boss's house. The boss's son had a Kawasaki 90 or something like that, and they lived at the beginning of some trails. Not knowing how to use a clutch I was left alone with a bike, a helmet and miles and miles of trails... After a few failed attempts at letting out the clutch, I moved the bike onto the dirt, gave it a lot of gas, then popped the clutch and let the rear wheel spin. I manage to power slide around the first corner (nothing spectacular) and I felt the adrenalin right then.

I was hooked at that moment!

Bressler11
9/11/2014 5:02am
Two and a half hours from my families house in northern Virginia, and two and a half hours from my school in southern Virginia. My school...
Two and a half hours from my families house in northern Virginia, and two and a half hours from my school in southern Virginia. My school is 45 minutes from Lake Sugartree. Is Action Town any good? I've been to Southfork, and I love it! By the way, ever go to Breezewood? How far are you from Breezewood?
I have been to breeze wood, its ok the layout is nice the dirt sucks, lots of rocks. It's only like 100 miles due south of me with no good road to get there, its a solid three hour drive to breeze wood for me, Actiontown on the other hand is great, the dirt is nice its very well layed out and organized. I had bad luck at the area qualifier this year, I left Virginia with a broken collarbone
Bressler11
9/11/2014 5:06am
PFitzG38 wrote:
Cool story kid, and great post. Thats what racing is all about, sorry to hear about your buds. This will end up being a really cool...
Cool story kid, and great post. Thats what racing is all about, sorry to hear about your buds. This will end up being a really cool thread, and I'm looking forward to taking some time with it tomorrow - I bet it grows by then. It will be interesting to see the similarities to people stories that are in the same age group. Like my influences and first bikes are completely different than yours, but probably similar to someone that remembers the original screening of On Any Sunday. But a racers passion will always be the same. Keep the rubber side down and have fun.
One of my friends I lost to the sport, his dad started a foundation called "Foundation 529" They raise money and go around to local races, give away Arai Helmets and leatt Neck braces to people who do not have good gear. They will be at the Two Stroke shootout this weekend I'm pretty sure.
672_Seth
9/11/2014 5:14am
my dads parents nevr let him get any type of bike or quad so after he had me he bought a brand new 2005 trx450r and for my 4th birthday he relized he didnt want me to be a gay and got me a dirtbke , i brand new kdx50 and then i got a 65, 85, superminis now i just turned 14 and starting to race 250s!
hvaughn88
9/11/2014 5:25am
672_Seth wrote:
my dads parents nevr let him get any type of bike or quad so after he had me he bought a brand new 2005 trx450r and...
my dads parents nevr let him get any type of bike or quad so after he had me he bought a brand new 2005 trx450r and for my 4th birthday he relized he didnt want me to be a gay and got me a dirtbke , i brand new kdx50 and then i got a 65, 85, superminis now i just turned 14 and starting to race 250s!
So what you're saying is if he wouldn't have bought you a dirt bike...

Post a reply to: How Did You Get Started In Motocross...

The Latest