Honest opinion (2 vs. 4)...

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2012 10:45am
Would this many guys, let alone top guys, be out if they were still on 2 strokes?

Personally, I dont think they would be...
|
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/17/2012 8:07pm
I cant believe no one is gonna speak up...

I, for one, dont like seeing all these guys hurt and imo it is at least partially in relation to the bikes these days.
Pdub
3/17/2012 8:11pm
mx 219 wrote:
Would this many guys, let alone top guys, be out if they were still on 2 strokes?

Personally, I dont think they would be...
Yes, I do... maybe even more of them would be out if they were all on 2 strokes? Maybe all of them would be out...

The Shop

3/17/2012 8:17pm
mx 219 wrote:
I cant believe no one is gonna speak up... I, for one, dont like seeing all these guys hurt and imo it is at least partially...

I, for one, dont like seeing all these guys hurt and imo it is at least partially in relation to the bikes these days.
Hey dude, I hear ya.
I do think the likelihood for injury is greater with the current 4Ts,
The whole sport has been neg impacted by 4's.
bvm111
3/17/2012 9:27pm
I dont know.... seems to me that the engine desgn with the more pronounced engine braking of a 4 stroke would lend itself to more guys going over the front end when they chop the throttle. We should really be asking Jimmy Button, Ernesto Fonseca, Chad Reed this question since they have all ridden both engine types at the national level.
OldYZRider1
3/18/2012 8:54am
Didn't the 500 two strokes get eliminated from Supercross partly because of safety concerns? Sure seems like ALOT of top guys do not make a transition to the 450's without injury after injury. Must make it a tough sell to advertisers outside the industry to consider putting their advertising dollars in the sport.
Torco1
3/18/2012 9:28am
It's called progression. Just about every sport gets faster or harder as time goes by. Athletes push the edge more and more as things evolve. I'd be willing to bet that if 2-strokes were still being raced they would be making more power with them than they did 10 years ago, allowing the riders to do more with them and probably crash just as much as the 4-strokes do.
newmann
3/18/2012 9:35am
If the east/west were riding 250cc 2 strokes and the sx class was riding 500 cc 2 strokes, probably so. Going back to 125's and 250's, probably not. They were getting 76 lightswitch hp out of a supposed YZ400/426F over a decade ago. Looks like the same setup Stewart is currently running.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/18/2012 9:44am
mx 219 wrote:
I cant believe no one is gonna speak up... I, for one, dont like seeing all these guys hurt and imo it is at least partially...

I think you confused people by the way you wrote your question. I *think* I get what you're trying to say, but I also *think* that the way you wrote it, it comes across as the opposite of what you were trying to say.
yosmithy
3/18/2012 9:49am
This leads to a question I've had for some time now.

If I traveled back in time and killed my grandfather, then logic dictates that I cease to exist

If I ceased to exist, then how could I have traveled back in time to kill my grandfather?

Oh, and why the hell am I killing my grandfather?
4stroke4DWIN
3/18/2012 9:52am
I just don't get it sometimes, honestly WTF is the angst with 4 strokes? I race every weekend, practice every week so I look at it from a competitive view. They do make you faster without the work of a 2 stroke, that is the name of the game right, faster equals winning ? At 38 I still race to win not for 2nd or whatever. My mom came to watch me race last weekend and said after my first moto, "Well you still look good, you have the same style" I ride my CRF 450 just like I rode my Kx250 I ride the clutch in corners bangin the rev limiter floating the valves it doesn't feel any different to me just seems to "tractor" more. Now I have been off a bike for 8 yrs prior to getting this 450, maybe thats why I don't really feel a difference. I'm not a "PRO" but have had a really good AM career with a national win and afew AMA AM supercross podiums, looking back I felt like I was always on the edge of disaster I don't feel like that on the 4................
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/18/2012 9:54am
Sorry not seeing how that is confusing...if RV and co were still on 2 strokes would this many guys be hurt?

I dont think there would be as many guys injured. Wanna get a better idea as to how many guys are really injured, check out ther RacerX Injuy report each week. Here is this weeks (before Indy) 35 guys out (mostly big named guys not just local pros)

RacerX Injury List
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/18/2012 10:04am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2012 10:08am
Im not saying 4 strokes are the devil or that I dont like four strokes, they are much easier to ride than a 2 stroke and I enjoy riding all together whether it is 2 or 4 stroke, but Im just saying is there a chance that 4 strokes are part of the problem. It is possible that the guys are just getting more competitve or some other variables all added together, but think back to when it was all 2 stokes, were there 35 guys out each week?? No there werent, now I realize other things have changed as well, but I really think that the bikes might be the issue and if it is a recurring issue then the sport may want to go back to premix, that is if they really care about the riders safety.

feel free to mock me or shine some light on the topic, curious to see what people say.
Hank_Thrill
3/18/2012 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2012 11:08am
In many other motorsports technology eventually allows for a pace that becomes an apparent risk to driver safety. Eventually sanctioning bodies step in to slow the machines down. What we are seeing in Supercross/Motocross is nothing new to motorsports. It is not a 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke issue, it is an issue of engine power. Furthermore (as torco mentioned), riding techniques have also evolved the progression of the sport. Combining these two factors and the injury rates really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Say tomorrow, NASCAR allowed engines that could reach 250mph on super speedways. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that there would be worse crashes and a likely increase in fatalities. On the flip side, imagine if the AMA mandated that the supercross series be run on supped up pit bikes. All four strokes have done is open up more doors as to how fast elite athletes can go on a motorcycle. And finally, placing all the blame on the machines is not right either. If you ask a majority of pros if they think the bikes are too fast, they would probably disagree (and I would too, they seem to have adapted quite well). The problem is that the human body is still the same ol' bag of bones.

K-dubs opening ceremony transfers really go to show what small percentage of a 450's power it takes to go around a supercross track.

My solution?
TeamGreen
3/18/2012 10:45am
yosmithy wrote:
This leads to a question I've had for some time now. If I traveled back in time and killed my grandfather, then logic dictates that I...
This leads to a question I've had for some time now.

If I traveled back in time and killed my grandfather, then logic dictates that I cease to exist

If I ceased to exist, then how could I have traveled back in time to kill my grandfather?

Oh, and why the hell am I killing my grandfather?
This isn't actually a Time Paradox. You see, you had to exist in order to go back and CHANGE time...therefore you are revising history and existence; yet, you existed and these events happened...theoretically, that is.

And, yes, why the hell would you do this?

Post a reply to: Honest opinion (2 vs. 4)...

The Latest