Honda '17 CR450R throttle grip problem

sparker245
Anybody else have a grip come completely off a new '17 CRF450R while riding? I was letting a guy ride my new '17 (maybe 3 hrs. on the bike) yesterday at Prairie City MX in Sacramento when the throttle grip came completely off the tube. The guy was scrubbing a jump and it literally came off in his hand. Luckily he was an ex-pro and was able to control the bike and stop without crashing. He came back to the pits white as a ghost with the grip in his hand. There wasn't a single drop of glue on the throttle tube, but there was a small amount on the inside of the grip. Prior to coming off the grip looked fine...wasn't twisting....perfect. I thought it was a one in a million fluke, so cleaned the grip and throttle tube, glued the grip and added some safety wire for good measure. Mine is now good to go.

Today, while riding at Argyll Park in Dixon, I was talking to another guy about his '17, and the grip drama came up. He said the same thing happened to him at 408 MX. Again, luckily he was a high level rider and was able to control the bike and didn't crash. I forgot to ask him if he had stock bars, grips and throttle tube (mine was completely stock). I plan on calling my Honda dealer when they open on Tuesday morning and report what happened. PLEASE GIVE YOUR THROTTLE GRIP A ONCE OVER JUST IN CASE.
|
Cygnus
3/19/2017 6:28pm
Damn that's not good. Usually it's the other way around and there is no getting the stock grip off the tube
Without destroying it. If I owned one I'd be double checking it.
gsxr6
3/19/2017 6:43pm
Both mine came loose after one ride. The orange glue was only on the grips, and didn't stick well at all. The loctite all purpose super glue works better than anything for me. It's like super glue. I dug all Honda's crap out and reglued it. When they were glued the half waffles were facing straight down. Is that the way they go and I'm stupid? Idk. Love the bike though. Forks only so so for me and the seat is brutal. Besides that I really like it.
kiwifan
3/19/2017 6:45pm
I put new grips on not long after I got my bike, so I didnt come across the problem myself...glad to hear it didnt cause any injuries
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
3/19/2017 6:54pm
Happened to me a couple years ago on a 250 sx-f. Mid-sweeper 3rd pinned at a demo day, man did I ever eat shit. Got up and realized I still had the grip in my hand.

The Shop

Mort443
3/19/2017 7:08pm
Same thing happened with my 17 450. One of a few problems.
pCp 252
Fantasy
2530th
3/19/2017 7:22pm
Kawi vulcanizes the OE grips to the handlebars and the throttle tube making it extremely difficult to replace the grips for the first time. So be careful what you wish for.
gsxr6
3/19/2017 7:33pm
pCp 252 wrote:
Kawi vulcanizes the OE grips to the handlebars and the throttle tube making it extremely difficult to replace the grips for the first time. So be...
Kawi vulcanizes the OE grips to the handlebars and the throttle tube making it extremely difficult to replace the grips for the first time. So be careful what you wish for.
Agreed. I preferred it not stuck to the tube. Would of been nice if the rear wheel wasn't crooked and every rear spoke scary loose. Good thing we check that stuff before ever riding a bike right?
gsxr6
3/19/2017 7:36pm
To be fair the factory was devastated along with plenty of suppliers, and they will probably have all of this under control by now and for 2018.
ianhendry46
3/19/2017 7:37pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Both mine came loose after one ride. The orange glue was only on the grips, and didn't stick well at all. The loctite all purpose super...
Both mine came loose after one ride. The orange glue was only on the grips, and didn't stick well at all. The loctite all purpose super glue works better than anything for me. It's like super glue. I dug all Honda's crap out and reglued it. When they were glued the half waffles were facing straight down. Is that the way they go and I'm stupid? Idk. Love the bike though. Forks only so so for me and the seat is brutal. Besides that I really like it.
"The loctite all purpose super glue works better than anything for me. It's like super glue."

This made me chuckle lol
gsxr6
3/19/2017 7:40pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Both mine came loose after one ride. The orange glue was only on the grips, and didn't stick well at all. The loctite all purpose super...
"The loctite all purpose super glue works better than anything for me. It's like super glue."

This made me chuckle lol
Some things regular super glue isn't the greatest. The loctite all purpose is for wood, metal, plastic etc. I used to use Krazy glue brand, well it breaks loose after a couple of rides. This stuff doesn't lol
neysbo
3/19/2017 7:40pm
yep , it happen to my 17 Honda 450 at about one hour or less of riding.
motokawi818
3/19/2017 7:41pm
Happened to me after the first few rides. Didn't come completely off, but it was really close.
gsxr6
3/19/2017 7:41pm
In the past I had bad luck with renthal and pro taper glue, and I upgraded to the loctite brand. As long as u are fast getting the grips on , your good haha.
mattbmx63
3/19/2017 8:18pm
Does anyone safety wire their grips anymore? I've never ridden a bike new or used without doing that.
xr70
3/19/2017 8:56pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
Does anyone safety wire their grips anymore? I've never ridden a bike new or used without doing that.
Bingo
rider41
3/19/2017 9:16pm
I bought mine and ripped the stock grips off within 5 mins. They're crap grips. Why anyone would use them is beyond me. Grips are cheap.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
3/19/2017 9:23pm
mattbmx63 wrote:
+1
Mx286
3/19/2017 9:25pm
Mort443 wrote:
What were the other problems?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/19/2017 9:48pm
My uncle rode his once and washed it. We were sitting around talking in the garage when I sat on his bike. Put my hand on the throttle and noticed the grip felt loose, barely used any force and the grip just spun. We super glued it and he hasn't had a problem since. There was barely any glue on there to begin with. Glad we caught it before he went riding the next day.
3/19/2017 10:40pm
Mort443 wrote:
Mx286 wrote:
Inconsistent/ low fork oil height in the forks.
Check the engine mount torque specs
No grease in linkage, swingarm bearings, headtube
Had tokyo mods reflash the ecu $100 1-time fee
Switched oil to Maxima 10w-40 non-syn & coolant to engine ice, seemed to fix the hot start issue.
Running the e start now with a ktm lith battery with no problems at all. I hot wired the clutch safety switch with no issues. replacing the entire wire harness seemed a bit much.

neysbo
3/20/2017 2:14am
Mort443 wrote:
Mx286 wrote:
Inconsistent/ low fork oil height in the forks. Check the engine mount torque specs No grease in linkage, swingarm bearings, headtube Had tokyo mods reflash the...
Switched oil to Maxima 10w-40 non-syn & coolant to engine ice, seemed to fix the hot start issue.
Running the e start now with a ktm lith battery with no problems at all. I hot wired the clutch safety switch with no issues. replacing the entire wire harness seemed a bit much.

Did you notice much difference after Tokyo Mods did the remap.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
3/20/2017 3:30am
That's why you do full race prep on a new bike. We take ours completely apart, grease everything, re torque everything, and replace any suspect parts...

I can see not changing grips, BUT safety wire is a must, especially when you didn't install the grip!
3/20/2017 5:45pm
Mx286 wrote:
Inconsistent/ low fork oil height in the forks. Check the engine mount torque specs No grease in linkage, swingarm bearings, headtube Had tokyo mods reflash the...

neysbo wrote:
Did you notice much difference after Tokyo Mods did the remap.
I still have the stock cans,
I got what i asked for, Ron at Tokyo mods charged me $100 for the remap. When I install an exhaust, bring it back and he will re flash it again for free, he gets more power out of it. I just wanted him to clean up the bottom end on map 3 for me. Map 2 I'm not sure about the "torque map"
I just had knee surgery, (hardware removal from Tibia plateau injury) so i haven't had a chance to try the new maps..
BobPA
3/20/2017 9:03pm
I still have the stock cans, I got what i asked for, Ron at Tokyo mods charged me $100 for the remap. When I install an...
I still have the stock cans,
I got what i asked for, Ron at Tokyo mods charged me $100 for the remap. When I install an exhaust, bring it back and he will re flash it again for free, he gets more power out of it. I just wanted him to clean up the bottom end on map 3 for me. Map 2 I'm not sure about the "torque map"
I just had knee surgery, (hardware removal from Tibia plateau injury) so i haven't had a chance to try the new maps..
My girlfriend still has her stock cans too.
rrjr
3/20/2017 11:45pm
BobPA wrote:
Have you had her bottom end cleaned up?
snape99
3/21/2017 6:34am
mattbmx63 wrote:
Yes. First thing I do
3/21/2017 6:50am
mattbmx63 wrote:
No. I put on Emig/ODI lock on grips as soon as I get a bike. I wasn't sold at first but they are just damn nice imo.
Braap19
3/21/2017 6:50am
BobPA wrote:
rrjr wrote:
Have you had her bottom end cleaned up?
Yes first thing I do.
JBecker 72
3/21/2017 11:18am
mattbmx63 wrote:
No. I put on Emig/ODI lock on grips as soon as I get a bike. I wasn't sold at first but they are just damn nice...
No. I put on Emig/ODI lock on grips as soon as I get a bike. I wasn't sold at first but they are just damn nice imo.
I recently switched from Renthal grips, to the ODI V2 lock on. I am never going back to grip glue and safety wire again. These things are awesome. Highly recommend them.
Acidreamer
3/21/2017 11:28am
Safety wire bros. once you use that youll never go back to messy ass glue that sticks to the bars and makes it hard to get grips off.

Post a reply to: Honda '17 CR450R throttle grip problem

The Latest