Hollister Hills Track

10/22/2012 11:33am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2012 8:50pm
I remember back in the late 80's, there was a GP held there. Does this track still exist and does it have the facilities to run a National or even a GP?

Strange question but I have some kind of weird fetish (lol) about dis-used tracks and the reason why they are not used anymore. Photos make it all the better.
|
BIGRIGGIN
10/22/2012 11:38am
The GP track still exists and is used for local amateur racing and open practice days. I will look for some pics to post.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/22/2012 11:40am
It raining here in NorCal today and I smile imagining the green grass starting to grow out again up there.
Jeff alessi
10/22/2012 11:41am
I raced hollister growing up, awesome awesome track! I believe it's still around cause I would of heard of its closing. With that said I will add I do not think it could hold a national because the track is a little bit to narrow and more geared for the fast amateurs on smaller bikes. I also remember it being maybe 1:30-1:45 lap time and not really having anymore room to add more track. The dirt is phenomenal tho, and that track had a fun flow with the hills. and ofcourse the kids I grew up racing with around there were great people.
10/22/2012 11:45am
I know about Carlsbad being closed for awhile now. I've seen photos of that in a dis-used state. You could still see some of the jumps and I bet there were still ruts in the corners. From the videos I've seen of that track, it looked like the hardest pack I've ever seen!!

The Shop

Mr. Info
10/22/2012 12:37pm
Its still open and hold races and practices. It is a ORV park run by Green Stickie money, or should I say whats left of the money. Fun track and some fun trails.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/22/2012 1:06pm
The track has plenty of room to expand. The old gp track had wicked uphills back in the woods, and in the late 70's the track was as long and wide (an natural in it's use of terrain) as any.
mx_563
10/22/2012 2:14pm
This is from a little while back, I don't think they ever change the layout.

http://youtu.be/71XeyzFG02M
1:07 is where Robbie Reynard was in the famous "Dream On" ad from Hollister.

Cool vid.

Having a National there is unlikely. Traffic and parking would be big problems to start with (yes, they held a GP there before but now MX Sports has all kinds of requirements associated with traffic flow and parking).
Then there's all the red tape and bureaucracy that goes into it. And then there's the fact that Nor Cal already has a National. If MX Sports gave Hollister a National the South East would implode. :-)
BobbyM
10/22/2012 2:22pm
I raced hollister growing up, awesome awesome track! I believe it's still around cause I would of heard of its closing. With that said I will...
I raced hollister growing up, awesome awesome track! I believe it's still around cause I would of heard of its closing. With that said I will add I do not think it could hold a national because the track is a little bit to narrow and more geared for the fast amateurs on smaller bikes. I also remember it being maybe 1:30-1:45 lap time and not really having anymore room to add more track. The dirt is phenomenal tho, and that track had a fun flow with the hills. and ofcourse the kids I grew up racing with around there were great people.
all natural terrain track...too bad access to the facility isn't much better. not sure if it could handle the specatator traffic.
IceMan446
10/22/2012 2:29pm
There are two big uphills that arent used. I got to ride it one day in practice when there was a GFI race and they ran the first up hill and down hill and it was STEEP!

They didnt run it during the race though.

Like FTE said, the lap times could be a lot longer if they used the track they did in the 70's.

The parking there isnt up to a national level, dont think it will ever see a national IMO
IceMan446
10/22/2012 2:33pm
muGz.147 wrote:
[img]https://www.pulpmx.com/sites/default/files/u3/dream_on_800x536.jpg[/img]
I remember that wood wall at the bottom of the downhill!

From that last video it looks like they took it out though?

Hollister is by far one of my favorite tracks I have ever raced at.
wildbill
10/22/2012 2:47pm
That first vid is pretty cool coming from 5th to 1st.

Traveling down from Orygun, once in Redding, I start thinkin nothing but track building with all the green hills and oak trees.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
10/22/2012 3:16pm
Access is definitely an issue if you're talking about loading a slew of people in there. And like a lot of Cali or the southwest, it's one thing to run a race in the October to April period and quite another once the dry season kicks in. I enjoyed the GP there in spite of that, though.

I ran a couple local races there in the late 70's where the track ran back out over and behind the hill that's listed as the main spectator area in the image. The depth of talent in the pro class at a race like that was epic then, and that track was one of the purest joys to ride on back then. I think it's been worked a little since, but still pretty fun.
ocscottie
10/22/2012 3:32pm
muGz.147 wrote:
[img]https://www.pulpmx.com/sites/default/files/u3/dream_on_800x536.jpg[/img]
See the bottom turn in that poster, this is exiting it.

neverwas
Fantasy
868th
10/22/2012 3:35pm
Access is definitely an issue if you're talking about loading a slew of people in there. And like a lot of Cali or the southwest, it's...
Access is definitely an issue if you're talking about loading a slew of people in there. And like a lot of Cali or the southwest, it's one thing to run a race in the October to April period and quite another once the dry season kicks in. I enjoyed the GP there in spite of that, though.

I ran a couple local races there in the late 70's where the track ran back out over and behind the hill that's listed as the main spectator area in the image. The depth of talent in the pro class at a race like that was epic then, and that track was one of the purest joys to ride on back then. I think it's been worked a little since, but still pretty fun.
I ran some of those races back then,practice on the virgin grass covered in the morning dew was some slippery stuff on the massive off camber turns.
I remember seeing Lackey and Billy Grossi going at it that day,good stuff.
motokid40
10/22/2012 4:03pm
There having a race this next weekend, one of my favorites!

IceMan446
10/22/2012 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/22/2012 4:22pm
Motokid...Did you race at PC on sunday?
MotoMalyDad
10/22/2012 6:28pm
What was the down hill called ? The Elevator shaft ????? My 13 year old when he was 7 got a little wheelie on the track when they shaved the lips to make it a TT style track.. I could just picture it all green in the winter and spring...

wb173
10/22/2012 7:33pm
My memory of this track, even though I never raced it, was Chris Neal circa' '87, '88ish. He was from Hollister Hills? Anyone remember? Correct me if I'm wrong?
ocscottie
10/22/2012 8:10pm
wb173 wrote:
My memory of this track, even though I never raced it, was Chris Neal circa' '87, '88ish. He was from Hollister Hills? Anyone remember? Correct me...
My memory of this track, even though I never raced it, was Chris Neal circa' '87, '88ish. He was from Hollister Hills? Anyone remember? Correct me if I'm wrong?
Yep, his dad owned the "Pit Stop" (the store in the OHV park) he actually bought it while living with us in the Bay Area and we went every single weekend and burned many many gallons. Still some of the best times of our lives.
MotoMalyDad
10/22/2012 9:07pm
wb173 wrote:
My memory of this track, even though I never raced it, was Chris Neal circa' '87, '88ish. He was from Hollister Hills? Anyone remember? Correct me...
ocscottie wrote:
Yep, his dad owned the "Pit Stop" (the store in the OHV park) he actually bought it while living with us in the Bay Area and...
Yep, his dad owned the "Pit Stop" (the store in the OHV park) he actually bought it while living with us in the Bay Area and we went every single weekend and burned many many gallons. Still some of the best times of our lives.
The first visit there was 3 days before the 2005 Moto GP Race at Laguna Seca.. 100 degrees in July and Troll Trail... looking back I ask myself why ???
BobbyM
10/22/2012 9:41pm
Access is definitely an issue if you're talking about loading a slew of people in there. And like a lot of Cali or the southwest, it's...

i believe i saw you there that day michael. i loved that track back then.

hollister, livermore, sears and pescadero were great when the grass was green
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
10/22/2012 10:06pm
IceMan446 wrote:
There are two big uphills that arent used. I got to ride it one day in practice when there was a GFI race and they ran...
There are two big uphills that arent used. I got to ride it one day in practice when there was a GFI race and they ran the first up hill and down hill and it was STEEP!

They didnt run it during the race though.

Like FTE said, the lap times could be a lot longer if they used the track they did in the 70's.

The parking there isnt up to a national level, dont think it will ever see a national IMO
Ive raced it with the big hill in 01'...it was steep!!!! My friends from santa cruz still race there...man i got so sick of it when i was a kid. But you know what they say...you don't know how good you had it till its gone.Wink
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1006th
10/22/2012 10:08pm
What was the down hill called ? The Elevator shaft ????? My 13 year old when he was 7 got a little wheelie on the track...
What was the down hill called ? The Elevator shaft ????? My 13 year old when he was 7 got a little wheelie on the track when they shaved the lips to make it a TT style track.. I could just picture it all green in the winter and spring...

Thats the "little hill".Silly
BobbyM
10/22/2012 10:39pm
dean matson was a badass there too i think
wildbill
10/22/2012 10:46pm
wb173 wrote:
ocscottie wrote:
Yep, his dad owned the "Pit Stop" (the store in the OHV park) he actually bought it while living with us in the Bay Area and...
The first visit there was 3 days before the 2005 Moto GP Race at Laguna Seca.. 100 degrees in July and Troll Trail... looking back I...
The first visit there was 3 days before the 2005 Moto GP Race at Laguna Seca.. 100 degrees in July and Troll Trail... looking back I ask myself why ???
haha Scottie, can't imagine living with Nealer. We tried to persuade him to holeshot (or almost) another shougie and just about had him talked into trying it again, with a Budweiser sponser of course. He was fun to ride/party with.

Post a reply to: Hollister Hills Track

The Latest