Hitch Carrier

captmoto
12/11/2017 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2017 5:44am
I roached the ramp of my hitch carrier. Does anyone know where to pick up a spare. I already tried Discount Ramps but I couldn't even find my hauler. This is what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Mounted-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Dir…
|
groggylbc
12/11/2017 4:49pm
i have that one. i got it at harbor freight...its cheaper there i think, if i remember right its something like 80 or 90 bucks. it works great. look at harborfraight.com
babba boey
12/11/2017 6:55pm
Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over his bike.
captmoto
12/11/2017 7:49pm
I managed to repair my ramp but don't how it will hold up bit I am just looking for a ramp.

The Shop

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/12/2017 8:37am
Quit messing around and get the best.
Get a Switch Hauler®

Donovan759
12/12/2017 10:03am
babba boey wrote:
Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over...
Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over his bike.
Hahaha! Wow. That's a seriously unfortunate mistake. Poor guy...
12/12/2017 10:55am
Are you guys hauling with an suv? If so, do you carry fuel inside?
Mini Elsinore
12/12/2017 12:40pm
I have the aluminum Black Widow from Discount Ramps ($149). No problemo, but I only use it for shuttling vintage bikes from my home to the shop. I haven't got the guts to put it to use on the highway.
peelout
12/12/2017 12:42pm
what kind of minivan are you mounting to? this one works great with the Ridgeline

Zooki
12/12/2017 1:15pm
All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, he's looking for a new ramp for his hitch carrier. Dry
Mini Elsinore
12/12/2017 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/12/2017 1:39pm
Zooki wrote:
All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, [b]he's looking for a new ramp[/b] for his...
All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, he's looking for a new ramp for his hitch carrier. Dry
Of course, you're right...but we've had a helluva good time sharing our purchases. Laughing
Hallzilla
12/12/2017 5:06pm
groggylbc wrote:
i have that one. i got it at harbor freight...its cheaper there i think, if i remember right its something like 80 or 90 bucks. it...
i have that one. i got it at harbor freight...its cheaper there i think, if i remember right its something like 80 or 90 bucks. it works great. look at harborfraight.com
Sounds like a go0d idea to throw a 10g bike on a harbor freight carrier. I can see the logic, lol Or even 1k bike for that matter.
PEPE001
12/12/2017 5:17pm
babba boey wrote:
Don't buy the Harbor Freight hauler. I know a guy that mounted one on the front of his motorhome. The hauler broke and he ran over...
Donovan759 wrote:
Hahaha! Wow. That's a seriously unfortunate mistake. Poor guy...
Had the Harbor Freight and used it 2 Years with a KX250F and a KX85 modified it a bit and it worked perfect.
Spooner
12/12/2017 6:25pm
I just got this one made by Erickson manufacturing and it has a spot for your gas can. Works great!
12/12/2017 6:39pm
captmoto wrote:
I roached the ramp of my hitch carrier. Does anyone know where to pick up a spare. I already tried Discount Ramps but I couldn't even...
I roached the ramp of my hitch carrier. Does anyone know where to pick up a spare. I already tried Discount Ramps but I couldn't even find my hauler. This is what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitch-Receiver-Mounted-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Dir…
I have that same carrier, but I paid less than that for mine, even in Canadian funds.

Go get some angle iron, fire up the welder and you'll never bend one again... If you don't have a welder, call one of your manly buddies, bring him a 2-4 and get him to weld it up.

One word of caution, one of my "safety checks" before I use it, is to check where the bolts that hold the main rack go through the 2" tube, looking for any elongation of the holes are cracking from the edges of the holes that could be caused by the slop of the mounting of the rack on the tube.

I used the rack all of 2016, probably close to 10,000km and never noticed an issue.
FWYT
12/12/2017 7:14pm
Are you guys hauling with an suv? If so, do you carry fuel inside?
Wondered this, too.
dirtdog36
12/12/2017 7:16pm
Zooki wrote:
All these replies and nobody bothered to read his question? He isn't looking for a new hitch carrier, [b]he's looking for a new ramp[/b] for his...
SMH at myself. I totally missed it

And even though you posted this no one has noticed ?
Spooner
12/12/2017 7:19pm
I only posted the one I have because someone asked about carrying fuel.
Team MMR
12/13/2017 4:51am
Just buy a aluminum ramp, cut it in half. Then you have a spare in case it happens again
pmshortt2
12/13/2017 6:55am
I’m looking to buy a carrier soon, not trying to spend over $400. Recommendations? Whistling Almost bought a discount ramps one but was scared it might be cheaply made
12/13/2017 8:07am
To answer the gas question on mine, I would usually just strap a 2.5 gal can under the frame rails for a big bike, or on where the ramp portion attached for a kids bike. Don't use it too often, though.
FWYT
12/13/2017 9:05am
To answer the gas question on mine, I would usually just strap a 2.5 gal can under the frame rails for a big bike, or on...
To answer the gas question on mine, I would usually just strap a 2.5 gal can under the frame rails for a big bike, or on where the ramp portion attached for a kids bike. Don't use it too often, though.
Thanks!
TJMX947
12/13/2017 12:18pm
I have the harbor freight one and its been good so far. My biggest problem is figuring out a place to store it.
Kanewel433
12/14/2017 6:30am
Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought this one 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it ever needs replacing, I'll buy another. Full steel frame, expanded mesh grate for gear bags, gas cans, full size cooler, pop up tent, whatever.

The biggest PRO of this is that it has enough clearance for my Jeep Wrangler's spare tire. The only CON is that it's quite heavy, but not so heavy that I need 2 people to install it. But like a real man, I carry all my groceries in one trip, so your mileage may vary. Cool

OP, could you buy an aluminum step ladder and fabricate it to be the right length?
12/14/2017 7:38am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 7:45am
Kanewel433 wrote:
Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought [url=http://www.wmastore.com/1000LB-MOTORCYCLE-CARRIER-RACK-TRAILER-HAULERCARGO-SHELFS-AM1306B.htm]this one[/url] 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it...
Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought this one 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it ever needs replacing, I'll buy another. Full steel frame, expanded mesh grate for gear bags, gas cans, full size cooler, pop up tent, whatever.

The biggest PRO of this is that it has enough clearance for my Jeep Wrangler's spare tire. The only CON is that it's quite heavy, but not so heavy that I need 2 people to install it. But like a real man, I carry all my groceries in one trip, so your mileage may vary. Cool

OP, could you buy an aluminum step ladder and fabricate it to be the right length?
I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm produces, I bet you are already exceeding (or really close to exceeding) the tongue weight rating of your vehicle/hitch, even with just your relatively light 2-stroke and that heavy carrier.
Kanewel433
12/14/2017 7:44am
Kanewel433 wrote:
Since we're all just ignoring the initial request of OP, I bought [url=http://www.wmastore.com/1000LB-MOTORCYCLE-CARRIER-RACK-TRAILER-HAULERCARGO-SHELFS-AM1306B.htm]this one[/url] 2 years ago and I'm so impressed with it, that if it...

I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm...
I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm produces, I bet you are already exceeding (or really close to exceeding) the tongue weight rating of your vehicle/hitch, even with just your relatively light 2-stroke and that heavy carrier.
You’re not wrong at all, I am cutting it kinda close at a 350lbs tongue weight limit on the 4 door JK. But the carrier is sturdy, and I upgraded the jeeps suspension to accommodate for the sag.

All that being said, the carrier itself is first class.
12/14/2017 7:50am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 7:52am
Kanewel433 wrote:

I get why you need it for your vehicle, but, man, I don't like how long that is. Given the torque multiplication that a lever arm...
Kanewel433 wrote:
You’re not wrong at all, I am cutting it kinda close at a 350lbs tongue weight limit on the 4 door JK. But the carrier is...
You’re not wrong at all, I am cutting it kinda close at a 350lbs tongue weight limit on the 4 door JK. But the carrier is sturdy, and I upgraded the jeeps suspension to accommodate for the sag.

All that being said, the carrier itself is first class.
Then I think you're pretty far over, for sure. That setup, when accounting for leverage, is putting way more than 350 lbs of downforce at the typical point of attachment.
coastie44
12/15/2017 9:01am
I've had a Joe hauler carrier since 2003 and have put thousands of miles on it. I use it with an SUV (trooper, explorer, pathfinder, and now an xc90) and have always put the fuel inside. yes you can smell it, but it's not horrible or overwhelming.

For seven years I used to carry the bike on the back for 3 days in a row as I commuted to a job 125 miles away (and stayed over).

Bottom line is these things are badass!

Post a reply to: Hitch Carrier

The Latest