Hillclimb vid for anyone interested

JM485
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 10:46am
I know a few guys here like this stuff, so here are all my runs from the first round of the Skips Promotions pro hillclimb series in a quick edit. Bikes are cr500 and yz450f. We had an awesome time and came away with a little bit of money, not enough to even cover inties though. Still an awesome time though and I'm looking forward to next month. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/hHntOggSSiM
|
Jeff K
Fantasy
3743rd
3/19/2014 7:06pm
I could do that.... in my Jeep Unsure
jgmxdad251
3/19/2014 7:11pm
Cool video! Seems like you have done a few hill climb's before.
olddude
3/19/2014 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 7:14pm
Cool.
Cool.
Cool, Why you crash 2 stroke?

The Shop

yzjs7
3/19/2014 7:21pm
He's damn good in the hills folks I have witnessed it firsthand
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
3/19/2014 7:31pm
I enjoyed that a lot, Thanks for sharing dude...Smile
Socket946
3/19/2014 7:34pm
I couldn't do it!

Not a fan though. Too drag racing/nascarish for me.
JM485
3/19/2014 7:50pm
Socket946 wrote:
I couldn't do it!

Not a fan though. Too drag racing/nascarish for me.
Thanks for the props guys!

Honestly Socket, you ought to give it a try, believe me it is nothing like drag racing. Timing your rhythm through bumps, getting traction down, and picking lines on the fly is tough to do. We don't get to pre run the hill, two runs and that's it.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/19/2014 8:28pm
Nice. Getting some huckabuck action on the 5-hunny there.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
3/19/2014 10:06pm
That looks fun ! On the bucket list
MyloFMX
3/19/2014 11:36pm
Awesome! You did great! JM485 I was lucky enough to try a hill climb event for the Petersons. 450 Stock bike! I didn't make it the first time! haha

P.S. Don't mind my dad screaming he is my biggest fan for these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2apF3ipWc&list=UU5b9GHWzN6BbSaUaEtZjrnA

Successfull one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GaGwjENg5g&list=UU5b9GHWzN6BbSaUaEtZjrnA
JM485
3/20/2014 7:41am
MyloFMX wrote:
Awesome! You did great! JM485 I was lucky enough to try a hill climb event for the Petersons. 450 Stock bike! I didn't make it the...
Awesome! You did great! JM485 I was lucky enough to try a hill climb event for the Petersons. 450 Stock bike! I didn't make it the first time! haha

P.S. Don't mind my dad screaming he is my biggest fan for these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2apF3ipWc&list=UU5b9GHWzN6BbSaUaEtZjrnA

Successfull one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GaGwjENg5g&list=UU5b9GHWzN6BbSaUaEtZjrnA
Nice, that was pretty damn good for just trying it out! I might try some of the NAHA events this year, the only issue is traveling so far. I like that jump in front of the hill, I don't know why don't do that for the Carnegie series, it would really make it a lot more exciting. They had a small table top before and all I did was over jump it most of the time.

BTW, my 450 is bone stock as well other than the extensions. Going for longevity rather than crazy power.Wink
MOTODAD422
3/20/2014 9:33am
The club I belong to does east coast pro climbs,check us out at bikehillclimb.com We also have Verticross,http://bikehillclimb.com/ 2-4 wide for the pro -sport guys,it's insane.
DanDunes818
3/20/2014 10:42am
I wish there was a way to translate how fricken gnarly steep these hills are onto video. Watching the videos, all these hills look like we could pull them on a KX60, when I know I would look at them and go the the long way around no matter what sized bike I was on that day. The GoPro's give it some perspective, but still not even close to how gnarly they really are. Climbing steep hills has never been my thing and I have all the respect in the world for hillclimbers.
IWreckALot
3/20/2014 11:46am
I wish there was a way to translate how fricken gnarly steep these hills are onto video. Watching the videos, all these hills look like we...
I wish there was a way to translate how fricken gnarly steep these hills are onto video. Watching the videos, all these hills look like we could pull them on a KX60, when I know I would look at them and go the the long way around no matter what sized bike I was on that day. The GoPro's give it some perspective, but still not even close to how gnarly they really are. Climbing steep hills has never been my thing and I have all the respect in the world for hillclimbers.
I thought the video did better than most conveying the depth. That looked tough. But if you don't ride or if you don't ever do any kind of hill climbing, the depth does get lost in translation. That hill climb not only looked steep but it had all kinds of bumps on it that made it look like I'd be eating shit in the first hundred yards.
Lightning78
3/20/2014 12:57pm
That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing...

I grew up riding there from 5 to 21 years old and I love that place!! Recently got to go back and ride it and it was just as fun as I had remembered only there were a shitload more areas fenced off.

Ive been over the top of every one of those hills back in the mid to late 90's I even remember that one and it was FUN!!! before they got fenced off. Never got to do an official hillclimb but my day started a lot of those hills before that place was even a park. That video brought back a lot of memories and I plan to make a few more trips there next year, my buddy rode that comp the same day too.

My favorite event was the national hillclimb they have every year we used to go to it BBQ and have a blast!!
JM485
3/20/2014 1:14pm
That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing... I grew up riding there from 5 to 21 years old and I love that place!! Recently got to go...
That was awesome!! Thanks for sharing...

I grew up riding there from 5 to 21 years old and I love that place!! Recently got to go back and ride it and it was just as fun as I had remembered only there were a shitload more areas fenced off.

Ive been over the top of every one of those hills back in the mid to late 90's I even remember that one and it was FUN!!! before they got fenced off. Never got to do an official hillclimb but my day started a lot of those hills before that place was even a park. That video brought back a lot of memories and I plan to make a few more trips there next year, my buddy rode that comp the same day too.

My favorite event was the national hillclimb they have every year we used to go to it BBQ and have a blast!!
Awesome, I have pretty much grown up there as well, been riding there since I was 5 till my current age of 18! I hate that they have had to fence some stuff off, but it was the only way to keep the park open after the recent battle with the tree huggers, much better than losing the whole place though. It kills me that anyone would want to disrupt such an awesome place for families to ride/camp and spend time together. No matter what is going on, everyone out there is you friend, I have even seen people lone others their bike on more than one occasion.

Thanks for the support guys, I was on the fence about posting this but it's good to see so many people are into it! Remember guys, support the people who fight to keep your local area open!
peelout
3/20/2014 1:35pm
nice video, hillclimbing is too much fun.

i finished 15th at the Widowmaker Exhibition hill a few years ago. very very tough, i give the guys like yourself who do it all the time tons of props. it's so much different than riding moto that it's not even funny. i found that i wasn't watching up the hill far enough and would get outside the boundary line and have trouble coming back.

the bad rap the hillclimb guys get is definitely not warranted either, these guys aren't hick hillbillys at all. some SERIOUS talent at the NAHA climbs.

Widowmaker got dropped this year but there is a new one in Snowville Utah that i'm going to try and line up an exhibition bike to ride.

anyway, thanks again for posting. right on bro

here's the Widowmaker bike i rode to 15th (i was about 80 feet from the top, was stoked to make it so high but pissed i didn't get over it)

riding just past the 900' marker, got outside the track boundry and got stuck trying to get back

cheering to the crowd below, i was fuckin' stoked bros (pics were taken from the top of the 1000' hill)
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
3/21/2014 6:22pm
Peely,

How did you get the ride? That was an awesome fun deal that you got to do!

I learned to ride in the foothilss of the Ozarks, nothing like the hills there, but
still cool, learning to shift and clutch going uphill as a young grom.

I'm envious for sure........I hope you get a chance to do it again, and that you
can share it with us........

PS
3/21/2014 7:10pm
Thanks for posting the vid! Love me some hillclimb. The US kind looks like good fun, not like the euro kind where you have to buy a new bike if you are lucky enough to survive a crash. Love watching both though.
JM485
3/21/2014 9:33pm
I know that hill. That's some good riding. No way in hell I'm trying to do those hills.
Do you ride Carnegie a lot? If so I'm sure I've seen you out there, I am usually on my rm250 when I'm cruising the hills.

Mototdad422, sorry I missed your comment until now. We have verticross here as well, but it's only two people at a time, I like the idea of four though!. I don't run it because it seems like one lane always has a clear advantage, and if you get stuck with the bad one it really sucks. The regular classes are also pretty expensive, so adding verticross would be hard.

Cool so see so much interest on here, the next round is coming up in April, do you guys want me to make a similar video and post it up?
peelout
3/21/2014 10:54pm
Peely, How did you get the ride? That was an awesome fun deal that you got to do! I learned to ride in the foothilss of...
Peely,

I learned to ride in the foothilss of the Ozarks, nothing like the hills there, but

I'm envious for sure........I hope you get a chance to do it again, and that you

PS
Thanks bro, A friend of mine builds them and offered me one for the weekend. Never rode it before that weekend, they're beasts. Take riding a bullet bike for the first time, make it 120" long, then add 4 foot tall sage brush, rocks, and a fucking stupid Hill lol. He offered me the bike for snowville but it's only a week after I get back from Mexico so I'm on the fence. If I do it I'll definitely film this time
JM485
3/22/2014 7:21am
Peely, How did you get the ride? That was an awesome fun deal that you got to do! I learned to ride in the foothilss of...
Peely,

PS
peelout wrote:
Thanks bro, A friend of mine builds them and offered me one for the weekend. Never rode it before that weekend, they're beasts. Take riding a...
Thanks bro, A friend of mine builds them and offered me one for the weekend. Never rode it before that weekend, they're beasts. Take riding a bullet bike for the first time, make it 120" long, then add 4 foot tall sage brush, rocks, and a fucking stupid Hill lol. He offered me the bike for snowville but it's only a week after I get back from Mexico so I'm on the fence. If I do it I'll definitely film this time
Do it! I want to see that gopro for sure!
48dirtbikekid
3/22/2014 8:14am
JM485, just curious to the time difference up the hill between the smoker and the 450? Looked like the smoker ripped! Cool video good job! Peelout, sick pics and experience I bet it was a rush holding onto that beast!
bullpen658
3/22/2014 8:20am
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Yes, video does NOT do those hills, ruts, bumps justice but it is still super cool to watch.

I'm curious and I'm sure all the other Vitards are too, which bike was faster? Two stroke or four stroke? Which had the faster time for you? We all saw the 500 give you the huckabuck twice and my guess is that the motor had a lot to do what caused that but you tell us. Put the 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke debate to bed once and for all. :D LOL
JM485
3/22/2014 10:33am
If I remember right, I think the 5 was about two seconds faster for the exhibition classes, but you have to keep in mind that the hill changes constantly since so many riders are going over it, and the fast line changes quite a bit. Because of this, the hill can get faster or slower as we move through a class, so number choice is pretty important as well. Overall, I would say the two stroke is faster, but the suspension on the four strokes is a lot better, so it really depends on the hill. For straighter, smoother hills where power is important, no 450 can ever touch the 500. But when you throw in some turns and a lot of bumps, the 450 can sometimes gain the edge. The reason I got such a big kick on the 5 was because a large kicker developed after the 450s ran, so everyone had to deal with it. You kind of had to just pin it and hope!Laughing
JM485
3/22/2014 10:39am
This picture kind of gives a bit of a perspective on how steep the hill is. This is after I crashed on the 500 and was getting ready to go back down. I'm about 400 feet up at that point and the trail below is the ground.

Post a reply to: Hillclimb vid for anyone interested

The Latest