Highland Park Resort GA Info/reviews

JLaneIV
1/29/2016 11:18am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2018 4:14pm

I am a advanced moto/trail rider from MN and planning to head south riding this March.

I am considering Highland Park Resort in GA. Looking for any INFO/REVIEWS on

TRAIL CONDITION for bikes (hearing not much for mx prep)

QUAD/BIKE RATIO-(very important)
I am a typical motorcycle enthusiast, that being said, like many others, I hate quads. I could list many reasons why but I'm sure you understand and agree. #nukethequads

any useful info would be appreciated!!
|
mach6972
1/29/2016 11:23am
JLaneIV wrote:
I am a advanced moto/trail rider from MN and planning to head south riding this March. I am considering Highland Park Resort in GA. Looking for...

I am a advanced moto/trail rider from MN and planning to head south riding this March.

I am a typical motorcycle enthusiast, that being said, like many others, I hate quads. I could list many reasons why but I'm sure you understand and agree. #nukethequads

stfu ! , here in the south we love us some fo wheelas so you be careful what ya say round here
Stickers
1/29/2016 11:45am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 11:46am
Be sure to check out seccaracing.com for some woods racing while youre down this way. Not sure on trail prep at HP but their last race had some fun trails and then some not so fun/flowing trails.It was all real open (lots of awkward turns) but they have a good bit of single track too. Hard packed terrain. The mx tracks looked fun but never been there on a normal weekend.
JLaneIV
1/29/2016 11:45am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 11:46am
When was the last race you attended?
JLaneIV
1/29/2016 11:47am
JLaneIV wrote:
I am a advanced moto/trail rider from MN and planning to head south riding this March. I am considering Highland Park Resort in GA. Looking for...

mach6972 wrote:
stfu ! , here in the south we love us some fo wheelas so you be careful what ya say round here
Do you ride @ HP?

The Shop

Stickers
1/29/2016 11:48am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 11:48am
Their last race, Jan 2. Good bit of the course was fun. Their other races have been on others parts that are fun as well. Never been there besides some races.
JLaneIV
1/29/2016 11:49am
Stickers wrote:
Be sure to check out seccaracing.com for some woods racing while youre down this way. Not sure on trail prep at HP but their last race...
Be sure to check out seccaracing.com for some woods racing while youre down this way. Not sure on trail prep at HP but their last race had some fun trails and then some not so fun/flowing trails.It was all real open (lots of awkward turns) but they have a good bit of single track too. Hard packed terrain. The mx tracks looked fun but never been there on a normal weekend.
Any other good riding areas geared more towards motorcycle?? Worried about the amount of quad riders
Stickers
1/29/2016 11:51am Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 11:52am
If you can make the trip to Monster Mt in Tallassee they have some awesome trails and a GP/Vintage course to go along with their MX track. Someone from GA may can help on other riding areas that way.
I dont know about quads at HP but Monster only allows quads on set days and not often. +1 on no quads....
Truespode
1/29/2016 11:54am
I have ridden at HP and it is great. The owner also participates at georgiaoffroad.com (and is part owner of the site).

He is hard core dirt. He is in it for the love of it!

I found the trails awesome and a lot of good single track. I didn't ride the track so I can't comment on it. I have a few friends who have been there recently and they said the trail system is even better than when I rode there a few years ago.

Ivan
wwoberg
1/29/2016 12:00pm
Very few quads at HP. Trails are more bike friendly. Only been there one weekend and didn't see a single quad all weekend.

MX track is good, not great, but good.

Durhantown has a lot more quads but has more trails, variety, MX, and facilities.

For MX, Monster and Mill Creek are definate bucket list tracks. Have fun.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
1/29/2016 1:03pm
I go there several times a month (live about an hour away and they treat me good)

Trail conditions are good. The dirt isn't great, but the trails are very well maintained. Everything is one way, and well marked. All trails are rated on difficulty, with the rating at the entrance of every trail. There's also a sign to specify if the trail is for quads or not (ie bike width or atv width)

There's technically 4 moto tracks, although they might have closed down the old one. I haven't ridden it in years.
The other 3 are mx1, mx2, and mx3. Mx3 is basically a kids track for adults. I like it, but it seems most people dont. MX2 is the real moto track. I no longer ride it, I bought an XC bike and the first day I rode it... I cased a jump and went over the bars. It sure looks good from the parking lot though lol mx1 is ok. Too small imo.

Quads aren't a problem. You'll certainly see some, but the perimeter road that takes you to all the trails is more than wide enough.

The shop is great, so if you'll need parts/gear plan on getting it there. I'd suggest you spend 2+ days there. They have so many trails 1 day really isn't enough.

There's a cool moto track in Shannon Ga, never prepped but I highly recommend hitting it for an afternoon. Take a slow lap first, that downhill jump will scare the piss outta ya if you aren't ready for it.

Durhamtown and monster mountain are worth visiting as well. If you're bring your wife/gf and the weather is nice then cave springs should be on the list of stops.
peelout
1/29/2016 1:04pm
JLaneIV wrote:

mach6972 wrote:
so when did you break the news to your parents, bro?
NotCore
1/29/2016 3:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 3:40pm
Never seen a quad at HP personally. They have bike single track and dual track trails. Hilly, and fun. I prefer the dual track trails on my bike because I like to go fast and don't really like to run bark busters, but I've ridden it all there. It's a solid day of riding and you can hit most of it. The trails are all one way, and you can go as fast as you want with out fear of a head on collision. It can get muddy in March, but with the right attitude that can make some of the trails fun and some of them damn near impossible for my skill set. All the trails are marked one to five diamonds. An intermediate vet like myself can manage most through 4 diamonds pretty easily, but not without a bit of adrenaline. My son has done most of it on a 65, and I learned that I had no business attempting the trails on a 125, so I went back to my four stroke.

The track is awesome, but not always prepped for the true motocrosser. It's like a gp layout. I recommend. Also check out durhamtown.com. It's about 2.5 hours east.

Edit: my son rides the piss out of all the trails on a 125. Didn't mean to imply it's not doable, just that it's not for me.
1/29/2016 4:33pm
JLaneIV wrote:

If you want Good Motocross, there's an old track in Shannon Ga, just south of Dalton, about 20 minutes from I75, that takes rain real well, doesn't get prepped very often, but is always open and fun. Also in NE Alabama there's Sand Mountain, if he's open, great track! In March, Fannin county Mx, located in NE Ga. should be open, pretty good track as well.
1/29/2016 5:32pm
I live an hour from there and I rarely see quads. The trails are much better than the MX tracks, but the tracks are not bad. I recommend also hitting Monster Mountain which is about 2 hours south from HP, it has a national quality track which is worth the trip.
hbdesigns913
1/29/2016 6:12pm
wwoberg wrote:
Very few quads at HP. Trails are more bike friendly. Only been there one weekend and didn't see a single quad all weekend. MX track is...
Very few quads at HP. Trails are more bike friendly. Only been there one weekend and didn't see a single quad all weekend.

MX track is good, not great, but good.

Durhantown has a lot more quads but has more trails, variety, MX, and facilities.

For MX, Monster and Mill Creek are definate bucket list tracks. Have fun.
What he said
hbdesigns913
1/29/2016 6:16pm
JLaneIV wrote:

Stevemoto1 wrote:
If you want [b]Good[/b] Motocross, there's an old track in Shannon Ga, just south of Dalton, about 20 minutes from I75, that takes rain real well...
If you want Good Motocross, there's an old track in Shannon Ga, just south of Dalton, about 20 minutes from I75, that takes rain real well, doesn't get prepped very often, but is always open and fun. Also in NE Alabama there's Sand Mountain, if he's open, great track! In March, Fannin county Mx, located in NE Ga. should be open, pretty good track as well.
If you're looking for nice, fun tracks suited for experienced riders...... Don't go to any of these tracks.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
1/29/2016 6:33pm
JLaneIV wrote:

Stevemoto1 wrote:
If you want [b]Good[/b] Motocross, there's an old track in Shannon Ga, just south of Dalton, about 20 minutes from I75, that takes rain real well...
If you're looking for nice, fun tracks suited for experienced riders...... Don't go to any of these tracks.
Have you ever ridden here? I can't vouch for fannin, but Shannon and sand mountain are both great.
JustMX
1/29/2016 6:43pm
Is the track in Shannon the old.rome.cycle.ranch?
JLaneIV
1/29/2016 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2016 7:48pm
Thanks for all the input! -minus the few quad riders, big fans of TYLER MX & WWE I'm sure.

Any residents of GA that frequent the GNCC's? I race off-road, but head south every winter for riding. Lucky enough to have been to 3 palms and Cycle Ranch in TX, Ozarks in AR, Land between the lakes in KY, 500 and some desert riding in OK, Skinny Ridge in CO & other off-road OMA's, GNCC's and NE's during previous winters.

This year heading south(no races)with my Dad, who is more off-road based with mx background. Looking for rough technical trail/good moto facility, more concerned with trail. He was interested in HP for the cabins but I was concerned it would be a quad haven like Durhamtown.

Thank you guys again for all the info!!! Any more residents or off-road riders that have been there in the last year?
354racing
1/30/2016 6:39am
JustMX wrote:
Is the track in Shannon the old.rome.cycle.ranch?
YEP !
354racing
1/30/2016 6:44am
colintrax wrote:
I go there several times a month (live about an hour away and they treat me good) Trail conditions are good. The dirt isn't great, but...
I go there several times a month (live about an hour away and they treat me good)

Trail conditions are good. The dirt isn't great, but the trails are very well maintained. Everything is one way, and well marked. All trails are rated on difficulty, with the rating at the entrance of every trail. There's also a sign to specify if the trail is for quads or not (ie bike width or atv width)

There's technically 4 moto tracks, although they might have closed down the old one. I haven't ridden it in years.
The other 3 are mx1, mx2, and mx3. Mx3 is basically a kids track for adults. I like it, but it seems most people dont. MX2 is the real moto track. I no longer ride it, I bought an XC bike and the first day I rode it... I cased a jump and went over the bars. It sure looks good from the parking lot though lol mx1 is ok. Too small imo.

Quads aren't a problem. You'll certainly see some, but the perimeter road that takes you to all the trails is more than wide enough.

The shop is great, so if you'll need parts/gear plan on getting it there. I'd suggest you spend 2+ days there. They have so many trails 1 day really isn't enough.

There's a cool moto track in Shannon Ga, never prepped but I highly recommend hitting it for an afternoon. Take a slow lap first, that downhill jump will scare the piss outta ya if you aren't ready for it.

Durhamtown and monster mountain are worth visiting as well. If you're bring your wife/gf and the weather is nice then cave springs should be on the list of stops.
If you can go fast at Shannon you can go fast anywhere! It can be asphalt hard,muddy and slick, or like mama bears porridge JUST RIGHT!
354racing
1/30/2016 6:45am
JLaneIV wrote:

The trails are great! Alot of diversity too.
ehr400
1/30/2016 7:37am
HP is great for single track, the mx tracks are so so.

along with MM there is also Mill creek which is due west of HP and is also a great track about a hour closer then MM.
RPM93
1/30/2016 9:50am
Highland park is awesome if you like single and ATV Wide trail, safe as everything is well marked and one way 99% dirt bike. Durhamtown Plantation is also fun and way bigger but has tons of quads and sxs. All one way trails and some great GNCC single trail in the back! if you can do 2-3 days at each you will be worn out!
hbdesigns913
1/30/2016 10:05am
colintrax wrote:
Have you ever ridden here? I can't vouch for fannin, but Shannon and sand mountain are both great.
Yes I have. I used to work across the street at the can plant. All im saying is if you drove from Minnesota to ride down south you would be very dissapointed. There are so many great tracks in the south, why would you go to some track through the woods that never gets prepped? Club Mx, Mill creeek, Monster mountain, Echeconnie, Durhamtown, and highland park are much better tracks.
NotCore
1/30/2016 11:45am
Couple good points here. Go to HP for the trails for a day or two and the head to Mill Creek for some moto. Would make a nice trip for a few days.
KFW
1/31/2016 9:41am
colintrax wrote:
I go there several times a month (live about an hour away and they treat me good) Trail conditions are good. The dirt isn't great, but...

Trying to find some info on Shannon mx. When is it open, price to ride etc. I couldn't find any contact or info. Thanks for all help!
hbdesigns913
1/31/2016 10:28am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2016 11:02am
Shannon Mx is in Shannon Georgia off hwy53. Across the highway from the Ball can plant. It's in behind a new housing development. Last time I went in 2013 there were no signs. You basically pull up and start unloading. Someone will come down from the trailer on the hill and take your money. I know I will get flamed but I think you're wasting your time with that place. Good luck.
KFW
1/31/2016 6:07pm
Shannon Mx is in Shannon Georgia off hwy53. Across the highway from the Ball can plant. It's in behind a new housing development. Last time I...
Shannon Mx is in Shannon Georgia off hwy53. Across the highway from the Ball can plant. It's in behind a new housing development. Last time I went in 2013 there were no signs. You basically pull up and start unloading. Someone will come down from the trailer on the hill and take your money. I know I will get flamed but I think you're wasting your time with that place. Good luck.
Thanks for the info.! It's fairly close to my place so going to give it a try. It seems everything is 1.5 hrs from my door and makes it tough to get seat time especially during the week.

Post a reply to: Highland Park Resort GA Info/reviews

The Latest