Hey Vital guys.....when we reply to a thread.

jeffro503
I've been around here a long time. Was on some of the old fresh dirt and original motodrive sites as well.

Just an observation.....but the " Pack mentality " is kinda strong here.

For example : Lately , when certain topics come up , and it seems like a hot topic , I'll read the original post , and reply with what " I feel " as far as a reply to the original topic. I do this to give an honest response to the actual topic at hand.

You ever notice how threads can " shift "? Like everyone is on one side of the fence on a certain topic , then some guy posts a logical ( Or some times illogical ) response , and then the thread changes direction. Either going negative or positive.

What I have been doing lately is , reading the OP , and replying.....not going through the countless posts on the subject , as to give an honest answer. Instead of having my mind swayed one way or another....I just give my honest opinion. Weather anyone agrees with it or not....it's still what was going through my mind at the time I posted the reply to the original topic.

Kind of a weird post I know , but was wondering if any of you guys notice the same thing? As in seeing threads derail or sway back and forth depending on who is replying?

I guess what I'm saying here is , don't join the pack , just reply honestly to what you think is right. Don't agree , if you really don't agree. Just my $.02.
|
newmann
1/22/2017 9:45pm
Yeah, that's fine and all but by the time someone reads all the way down to where your reply is they have no idea what the hell you are talking about because the thread has already taken on a life of it's own. LOL. Like the Matthes thread when he finally replied. It was all Midwest Mafia, Leonardo and nap time by that point.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/22/2017 9:46pm
What I'm seeing more of (and deleting more of) is forum members attacking each other.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/22/2017 9:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2017 9:59pm
Im not agreeing or disagreeing with your post. In essesnce, that could be accomplished through DM's to the OP. It would no longer be a forum. Just food for thought.

Certain topics are notorious for rabbitt holes. To me, the real issue lies with the topic subject, however, I dont know of a solution.
Jspazz
1/22/2017 9:52pm
Would be a weird thread if everyone only read the OP and responded to that. Let's see how long it lasts in this one

The Shop

Monte122
1/22/2017 10:00pm
Jeffro, good luck trying to educate or tell people how to post or respond to a post. Most guys here just join the pack and start attacking each other. I can guarantee you that there are people saying this when they read your post, who da fuck does he think he is to tell me how to post or what to do. It's sad really, every thread always changes direction to name calling and negative BS, just my opinion.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/22/2017 10:07pm
Oh, one last thing. It appears the phenomenon happens almost exclusively (minus politics) in the Moto section. Minus a few exceptions, other sections people seem to get along swimmingly.
Moto810
1/22/2017 10:20pm
Yeah I know all about the point your making! lol I have noticed some guys or packs that stick together no matter how off topic they are or how rude they are being. I have even seen what appears to be some posters going and starting new accounts just to back themselves on certain topics. It would be interesting to know if everyone used their real name and their real employment would they be this rude? Nothing wrong with having another opinion though and I like hearing different ideas about a subject.
jeffro503
1/22/2017 10:26pm
It was kind of a random thought. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of an actual forum. In most cases , i guess what i said doesn't make much sense.

The pack mentality was more or less what i was getting at. Just seems real hostile around here lately. Riders and forum members being attacked all the time. You can't have a different opinion on certain things because the same little group comes in and just looks to pick a fight.

To many people here try to force their opinion on you. If your opinion differs...you either get lectured or attacked. That's how it usually works anyways.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
1/22/2017 10:33pm
^^^^Offering a possible solution always makes sense.
Moto810
1/22/2017 10:38pm
Yeah all true. I have noticed the sport itself is a bit like that also. Certain groups like to stick together and run anyone out who won't fall in line with their agenda. I would say they don't want to try new ideas but honestly the reason they attack others is they are trying to protect their way of life or in this case their businesses. I think some of that bleeds over into the board here. Vital can be the place where people bring up things that are both good or bad about the sport and it can be the start of a process to correct the bad or promote the good. Most riders you meet at the local track are good people and are friendly.
JM485
1/22/2017 10:38pm
It's not just you Jeffro, I've noticed the same thing. That, and the same stupid thing gets rehashed in any similar thread because people just repeat what they read.

Let's take bikes for example. For a while everyone hated the Suzuki because it was old and heavy. Now, the second anyone on a Yamaha has a bad night or crashes its instantly because of the bike and now the Suzuki is great. Most of this is coming from people who have never ridden either bike but are "experts" based on what they're read in other threads or reviews from their couches on Saturday. I don't know exactly when it started, but it's just follow the leader. It's already happening with the new Honda, KR hits one kicker and suddenly the bike has a shock problem. Seriously?

The forearm Strong device is another great example. The theory behind it sounds solid to me, but I'm by no means a doctor or possess the knowledge of muscle tissue or fascia to know if the claims are valid or not, so I don't claim to know whether it works or not. There's very few guys on here who do possess that knowledge, but 100s of guys piling on with "opinions" that it can't work because they somehow know it doesn't.

Final example I'll give is when it comes to the Yamaha two strokes. The second anyone asks about getting one its "oh ya, make sure you get 06+", and it's the same rehashed crap over and over about SSS forks being magic. I hate to rain on the parade of everyone suggesting that who hasn't actually ridden the bike, but the forks are not magic, and they sure as hell aren't as good as people just keep blindly stating. If you have the bike and have ridden them, by all means tell about your experience, but if you're just reposting then what's the point? Some of the stuff is just so predictable around here it's kind of crazy.

I think what people fail to realize is if you have no facts or relevant knowledge to back up your statements, that isn't an opinion, that's just spouting off bs that benefits absolutely nobody. If you haven't ridden a bike, why the hell would you give an "opinion" on how it handles or rides, or if you haven't tried a product or have any relevant experience in the field, why would you give an "opinion" about that either? Perpetuating false information doesn't do anybody any good, and it just makes it hard to differentiate who actually has their shit straight and who's full of crap.
USMCMXer
1/22/2017 10:50pm
I agree with you Jeffro. It gets hard to post simple facts and your opinion once you start getting blasted. It is super easy to get defensive. I think as fans and participants of any sport, with wildly differing experience levels, there will always be disagreement? It would be nice if we could civilly debate our points though. I know I resort to sarcasm as soon as the ridiculousness starts, so I am guilty of being less than productive as well. I'll work on that...
bvm111
1/22/2017 11:05pm
I agree with the pack mentality thing around here lately Jeff, heck we were texting about that on Saturday night!

It also seems to be more of the recent accounts with low post counts... sort of the trying to establish dominance thing. I get it and it's sort of what makes it interesting in here, however, it's starting to wear on me a little. I used to constantly post during all the race threads both SX and Nationals, shit I was posting from AFG on my last deployment, but, after Saturday's I think Ill take a break for awhile.
thehenk
1/22/2017 11:46pm
Did anyone notice how much people rolled the finish line jump last weekend?
Just kidding

i totally agree with you on this, every time something big happens i come one here thinking vital will go crazy about this and every time it ends up in a stewart thread.
1/23/2017 12:42am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 12:44am
Haha I'm one of the SSS believers. It saved me the other day when I flat landed from very high up and the forks didn't even bottom and it was a smoother landing than it would have been with my old suspenders.

I spend more time in the bike builds and old school forum because we are just talking about building bikes instead of racers, and debating which bike is better than the other. We aren't complaining about the broadcast, or debating who should ride for which team. We are just building cool bikes.

It is always funny to see how many threads are just titled with a riders name after each weekend. Sometimes the forum will just look like a list of riders names.

Reed
Wilson
Webb
Roczen
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
wfo4ever
1/23/2017 12:47am
GuyB wrote:
What I'm seeing more of (and deleting more of) is forum members attacking each other.
I would hate to have your job as "That Guy" around here. Vital Posters can type on a key board like no other, they are in the know. The "Industry" insiders just troll this forum for some good laughs or to plant some crazy ass rumors to see the 'Vitards" in their element. Good luck with your baby sitting gig, I hope it pays really well. Carry on...
joeellis
1/23/2017 1:08am
JM485 wrote:
It's not just you Jeffro, I've noticed the same thing. That, and the same stupid thing gets rehashed in any similar thread because people just repeat...
It's not just you Jeffro, I've noticed the same thing. That, and the same stupid thing gets rehashed in any similar thread because people just repeat what they read.

Let's take bikes for example. For a while everyone hated the Suzuki because it was old and heavy. Now, the second anyone on a Yamaha has a bad night or crashes its instantly because of the bike and now the Suzuki is great. Most of this is coming from people who have never ridden either bike but are "experts" based on what they're read in other threads or reviews from their couches on Saturday. I don't know exactly when it started, but it's just follow the leader. It's already happening with the new Honda, KR hits one kicker and suddenly the bike has a shock problem. Seriously?

The forearm Strong device is another great example. The theory behind it sounds solid to me, but I'm by no means a doctor or possess the knowledge of muscle tissue or fascia to know if the claims are valid or not, so I don't claim to know whether it works or not. There's very few guys on here who do possess that knowledge, but 100s of guys piling on with "opinions" that it can't work because they somehow know it doesn't.

Final example I'll give is when it comes to the Yamaha two strokes. The second anyone asks about getting one its "oh ya, make sure you get 06+", and it's the same rehashed crap over and over about SSS forks being magic. I hate to rain on the parade of everyone suggesting that who hasn't actually ridden the bike, but the forks are not magic, and they sure as hell aren't as good as people just keep blindly stating. If you have the bike and have ridden them, by all means tell about your experience, but if you're just reposting then what's the point? Some of the stuff is just so predictable around here it's kind of crazy.

I think what people fail to realize is if you have no facts or relevant knowledge to back up your statements, that isn't an opinion, that's just spouting off bs that benefits absolutely nobody. If you haven't ridden a bike, why the hell would you give an "opinion" on how it handles or rides, or if you haven't tried a product or have any relevant experience in the field, why would you give an "opinion" about that either? Perpetuating false information doesn't do anybody any good, and it just makes it hard to differentiate who actually has their shit straight and who's full of crap.
I agree with a lot of things being said so far, including much of the OP opinion and the response GuyB about member attacks.

A couple of my thoughts. If there a structured collaboration behind this, they've carried it too far with the Roczen incident. That shook me up to the point, l had thoughts of that happening to me or someone I care about. Roczen is actually a very lucky young man if he has no other serious conditions. It isn't good for him either way, but there was very possible worse case scenarios.

JM45, this response is for you. I'm not sure if the SSS suspension you're referring to is the same as what was on my 2016 YZ250F or not, but if so, my suspension was dang good.
tobz
1/23/2017 1:14am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2017 1:15am
Haha I'm one of the SSS believers. It saved me the other day when I flat landed from very high up and the forks didn't even...
Haha I'm one of the SSS believers. It saved me the other day when I flat landed from very high up and the forks didn't even bottom and it was a smoother landing than it would have been with my old suspenders.

I spend more time in the bike builds and old school forum because we are just talking about building bikes instead of racers, and debating which bike is better than the other. We aren't complaining about the broadcast, or debating who should ride for which team. We are just building cool bikes.

It is always funny to see how many threads are just titled with a riders name after each weekend. Sometimes the forum will just look like a list of riders names.

Reed
Wilson
Webb
Roczen
Dungey
Seely
Anderson
Holy shit 100% agree, it's my pet hate, I nearly made a thread about it earlier today when I seen this

These people need to realise they need to put a bit more in the subject to generate more views. It ain't hard.

Oh an OP, general rule of thumb if the thread is longer than roughly 3 pages, anything after that is usually pointless bitching, or bears.

JM485
1/23/2017 7:59am
joeellis wrote:
I agree with a lot of things being said so far, including much of the OP opinion and the response GuyB about member attacks. A couple...
I agree with a lot of things being said so far, including much of the OP opinion and the response GuyB about member attacks.

A couple of my thoughts. If there a structured collaboration behind this, they've carried it too far with the Roczen incident. That shook me up to the point, l had thoughts of that happening to me or someone I care about. Roczen is actually a very lucky young man if he has no other serious conditions. It isn't good for him either way, but there was very possible worse case scenarios.

JM45, this response is for you. I'm not sure if the SSS suspension you're referring to is the same as what was on my 2016 YZ250F or not, but if so, my suspension was dang good.
Believe me, I'm not trying to say it isn't because they are definitely a good set of forks, and you would have a valid opinion on that since you own a bike that has them. My point was more toward the guys who don't even own the stuff who just rehash the same old 06+ crap even for a beginner who won't be able to tell the difference anyways. This was just an example of something that gets repeated over and over without thought by people who dont even have experience with the topic.
Moto520
1/23/2017 8:08am
I think that would be tough because the forums and responses are very organic. The original topic will start and people will reply. The discussion will get going and this is where the good information comes from. One member will respond and the rebuttal to that response creates another topic. The shit that derails everything would be one member directly attacking another member. This takes the conversation off subject and now we are involved in a pissing contest. You would have to remove the shitheads from the forum. The guys that are simply trying to piss people off.

Post a reply to: Hey Vital guys.....when we reply to a thread.

The Latest