Hey Japanese VItal members, I'm going to Japan, Should I bring my gear bag?

drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
8/27/2015 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 4:50pm
Not sure what your transportation will be like, but there is a track in Iwaki, that rents bikes. Its about a 2-3 hour drive from Tokyo. Tracks name is Shidoki. Not sure if any other tracks rent bikes. Rode there earlier this year was a pretty good time.. I would post a video but i dont want to get made fun of haha.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/msl/shidoki/

Your just gonna miss the all Japan race at Sugo it is the end of Aug and Oct. But that they have more than motocross there.. GT cars and what not. Sugo is probably the premier track in Japan.

http://www.sportsland-sugo.jp/information/calendar/

FMX events pop up all the time, if i see more stuff come up ill post back here..
tempura
8/27/2015 4:24pm
Avoid the Fukushima area if you can. The power plants are still spewing radiation, despite lack of information/transparency from the media, Tokyo electric and the government.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
8/27/2015 4:37pm
Guess i should have left fukushima out of it.. The track is not in any danger. Its still far away from the craziness.
olds cool
8/27/2015 4:39pm
While you're there, see if you can get a translation for what that guy was trying to say in that thread this morning. :Laughing

The Shop

tempura
8/27/2015 4:52pm
olds cool wrote:
While you're there, see if you can get a translation for what that guy was trying to say in that thread this morning. :Laughing
That was Korean, I believe.
olds cool
8/27/2015 5:31pm
olds cool wrote:
tempura wrote:
That was Korean, I believe.
Maybe Kim was trying to get a message to Dennis Rodman, then.
8/27/2015 6:21pm
I couldn't read any of that stuff, but one of the links showed a pretty awesome line up of bikes. Are those the one they rent? And if so, how much?
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
8/27/2015 6:40pm
Yea they had a good amount of bikes there all for rent too.. Mostly Yamahas and Hondas few KTMs. Its Y10000 a day so like $80-90.

Video of the track.. Not me riding.. but me getting passed in the beginning. Definitely not an "American" track but we still had a good time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCG-1gBKbTo
r.sal923
8/27/2015 7:13pm

If you end up staying I hear they get great snow, bring your skis
Kickstand
8/27/2015 8:05pm
I lived in Tokyo most of last year. Here's a list of a few things you should do;

Robot Restaurant in Shinjuku (Tokyo)
Tsuki Fish Market at 6:00am - Best sashimi in the world.
www.bungyjapan.com
Fushimi Inari-taisha (Shinto Symbol) In Kyoto
Have a cocktail here: http://tokyo.park.hyatt.com/ It's 52 floors up where Lost in Translation was filmed. If you arrive at 5-5:30, you'll have amazing seats.

I climbed Mount Fuji, Japan’s highest volcano and peak at 12,388 feet. Climbing Mount Fuji is considered a spiritual jour- ney for the Japanese, and the vast majority attempt to summit the mountain once in their lifetime.

Japan has an interesting and complex culture; on the one hand it is immersed in tradition dating back thousands of years; on the other, it is a society in a constant state of change. It's country of stark contradictions and this is in part what makes it such a captivating country.
Carlos Z
8/27/2015 8:21pm
mtl wrote:
Going to be in Osaka Sept 6-11 and then bouncing around the country until Sept 23. Probably moving North from Osaka to Kyoto to Tokyo with...
Going to be in Osaka Sept 6-11 and then bouncing around the country until Sept 23. Probably moving North from Osaka to Kyoto to Tokyo with no definite plans yet.

Are there any cool moto related things I should check out?

Any places to rent/borrow a bike and moto down for a day?

If I get a legit bike and spot to ride, I'd even bring my own suspension to make it fun...
Lucky you. Japan is a super cool place.
mtl
8/27/2015 8:25pm
Thanks alot for all the info.

Drenmaster, do they have an email address? Is there a way to get to the track via public transportation? I don't want to rent a car because I'm not sure how I would do driving on the left hand side of the road....

Are they open every day for riding?

jeffro503
8/27/2015 10:27pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2015 10:28pm
mtl wrote:
Thanks alot for all the info. Drenmaster, do they have an email address? Is there a way to get to the track via public transportation? I...

Drenmaster, do they have an email address? Is there a way to get to the track via public transportation? I don't want to rent a car because I'm not sure how I would do driving on the left hand side of the road....

Man , when you get back , I hope we get a full report with a bunch of pics / videos. Japan has always been a place I'd like to visit. I gotta live it through you , AND there are dirt bikes you can rent!!?? How badass is that?
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
8/28/2015 4:48am
mtl wrote:
Thanks alot for all the info. Drenmaster, do they have an email address? Is there a way to get to the track via public transportation? I...

I am pretty sure they are open for riding everyday, Communication was kind of difficult when i was there since my Japanese is horrible.. As far as getting there it's kind of off the grid so i don't think public trans is gonna be easy. It only takes a day to get used to driving on the other side, the hard part is driving in the States again!

I would try to meet up with you but deployed at the moment. I would really like to ride that track again..

Here is their page translated..

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&i…
yak651
Fantasy
214th
8/28/2015 5:06am
Hopefully it's cooler in Sept than July. My wife went over a couple years ago and she said it was unbearably hot and humid when she was there.
Bluelion
8/28/2015 8:19am
I went to Japan on business for a Japanese company that I work for. I was there 3 months and luckly I met a couple that live there from Holland. They were very into motocross. They had spare bike and gear. I got to ride every weekend. There are many tracks in Japan to ride. I had the time of my life. So take your gear and make the most of the cance of a lifetime. I did....
b.mohler
8/28/2015 9:21am
I lived in Japan for over a decade up until about a month ago (ready to move back already). The only other places I know other than Shidoki that rents bikes is HSR Kyushyu or park Kobe and its only mini bikes according to their websites. I worked a little bit in and know a lot of people that work in the industry there so I'll ask around but my guess is your best bet will be Shidoki if you want to ride. If you ended up going to around the Hiroshima area I could probably hook you up with a few of my friends from there.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
8/28/2015 9:47am
Yup Japan is pretty sweet. I live in northern Japan There are 5 main tracks within 2 hours. 2 are 30 minutes away. Most you pay to ride is $10-15 if they even collect. And there is also a beach you can rip up and down on. Although it was better before the tsunami. There are race series for everyone MX and enduro. Even winter enduros. I will definitly miss it.
BigDaddyG
8/28/2015 11:54am
Japan is on my bucket list to visit to buy koi and ship back to Oregon. Now that I know we can rent a bike....shit, moto day will be on the agenda!!
Olson
8/28/2015 2:44pm
I know nothing about riding in Japan. But you got to do the things on Kickstands list. Tokyo is amazing. Be aware of subway hours. I got stuck in Shibuya after hours and had to catch a taxi back to my hotel. Not that easy to explain where the hotel was to a guy not speaking english. Amazing people too, be polite and you will meet some of the friendliest people in the world. Very private though.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/1/2016 7:24am
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I will be in Nabari-city for a few days and would love to rent a bike and ride or even just go to a track and watch. Does anyone know of a track near by? It looks like the tracks that were mentioned in this thread are 5+ hours away...
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/1/2016 7:27am
drenmaster wrote:
Yup Japan is pretty sweet. I live in northern Japan There are 5 main tracks within 2 hours. 2 are 30 minutes away. Most you pay...
Yup Japan is pretty sweet. I live in northern Japan There are 5 main tracks within 2 hours. 2 are 30 minutes away. Most you pay to ride is $10-15 if they even collect. And there is also a beach you can rip up and down on. Although it was better before the tsunami. There are race series for everyone MX and enduro. Even winter enduros. I will definitly miss it.
Could you list some of the track? I'm looking for something close to Nabari-city.
drenmaster
Fantasy
1214th
9/1/2016 1:41pm
Jbulz wrote:
Could you list some of the track? I'm looking for something close to Nabari-city.
The only track i know that rents bikes is moto sports land shidoki in Iwaki. that's really far from Nabari.. I know there are tracks around Osaka but no clue on rentals.

worst case is take the train.. If you are visiting Japan as a tourist you can get a train ticket that you can travel on for a week or something with unlimited use for a one time price. really cheap compared to what locals would pay. plus u would get to ride on a bullet train which is kinda cool. Google maps is your friend while you're there.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
9/6/2016 8:32am
FYI, I contacted my company's Japanese office that I will be visiting, and it looks like a few of the engineers there also ride.

They directed me to this site: http://www.team-smt.com/index.html

I will try to get them to take me on the weekend - I think I'll be ripping a 125 Smile

Post a reply to: Hey Japanese VItal members, I'm going to Japan, Should I bring my gear bag?

The Latest