Hey DC! Now about them 2-strokes

danman
6/11/2010 1:57pm
If KTM and make as many models and variations of 2 and 4 strokes AND still be profitable, why can't the Japs?
2-strokes aren't dead overall, but in Professional MX/SX they are.
RACEGUY
6/11/2010 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:22pm
I try to stay away from this topic because it's been flogged to death, but there is a major factor that is overlooked in this whole argument, not that it matters or will change anything.

As far back at the 70s (for sure), and probably the 60s, the FIM was THE sanctioning body worldwide. From the time 2-strokes starting pounding out wins against the antiquated 4-strokes of the time, the FIM rulebook adjusted equipment standards to allow basically double the displacement for 4Ts when racing 2Ts.

Was it justified? Well into the 90s, we raced at a 50% displacement disadvantage on flat-tracks and road-race circuits and still killed the 4Ts, even when they had phenominal amounts of money invested in horsepower.

It took Yamaha's effort years later to give any of the manufacturers the incentive to build something other than a rolling embarrasment on the track. Honda, while painfully dedicated to 4T technology, did not put us in the position we are in today. It was only when Yamaha proved it could be done under the available rule-book that the gold-rush began.

DC and his predecessors did not come up with the 2 vs 4 stroke formula. It was adopted from a time half a century ago and old habits are hard to break.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
6/11/2010 2:13pm
They need to let full privateer guys (wharthog racing, guys in pick up trucks an motorhomes etc) race a 250 2 stroke in the lites class and make the factory guys (pc, rockstar Suzuki, geico etc) race the 4 strokes. That would make it more fair for the entire class. The facotry bikes are plenty fast to hang with a 2 stroke and the riders on them are the best and should still be able to beat them. This would help out the privateers by saving money on parts, bikes, etc and give them a little advantage too. Just my opinion tho
6/11/2010 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2010 2:22pm
RACEGUY wrote:
I try to stay away from this topic because it's been flogged to death, but there is a major factor that is overlooked in this whole...
I try to stay away from this topic because it's been flogged to death, but there is a major factor that is overlooked in this whole argument, not that it matters or will change anything.

As far back at the 70s (for sure), and probably the 60s, the FIM was THE sanctioning body worldwide. From the time 2-strokes starting pounding out wins against the antiquated 4-strokes of the time, the FIM rulebook adjusted equipment standards to allow basically double the displacement for 4Ts when racing 2Ts.

Was it justified? Well into the 90s, we raced at a 50% displacement disadvantage on flat-tracks and road-race circuits and still killed the 4Ts, even when they had phenominal amounts of money invested in horsepower.

It took Yamaha's effort years later to give any of the manufacturers the incentive to build something other than a rolling embarrasment on the track. Honda, while painfully dedicated to 4T technology, did not put us in the position we are in today. It was only when Yamaha proved it could be done under the available rule-book that the gold-rush began.

DC and his predecessors did not come up with the 2 vs 4 stroke formula. It was adopted from a time half a century ago and old habits are hard to break.
Actually, correction. From the 70's to 1994 it was 370cc or 360cc? 4 strokes vs 250cc 2 strokes.

The Shop

Outsider
6/11/2010 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:22pm
Four strokes TRUCK, two strokes SUCK!

Yeah, that JUST HAPPENED!

jeffro503
6/11/2010 2:25pm

Question : ......How can something be considered "Dead"........but when you line the bikes up CC for CC......the 2 strokes fucking dominate the 4 stroke in just about every category known to man?

The 4 strokes have a major disadvantage when comparing the same sized motor......But yet we are forced to run 2 strokes with 1/2 of the displacement against them.

It's all a fucking monopoly of the big 4! they force you to ride their more expensive 4 strokes so they can keep the money coming in!

Seriously.......WHY THE FUCK aren't the 300-350cc 2 strokes allowed to race against the 450 4 strokes? And WHY THE FUCK can't it be legal to race a 150cc 2 stroke in the lites class?

They are forcing these more expensive 4 strokes down our throats weather we like it or not. If you want to be competitive at all out on a track....you are forced to run a 4 stroke , or get your ass handed to you!

Why was it when the 4 strokes first came out.......we let them have all those extra CC's to keep up with the 2 strokes.......The favor is not being returned when a huge amount of people want to race the 2 strokes again?

There is so much bullshit going on in this whole debate it's fucking ridiculous!
adamdf
6/11/2010 2:30pm
i agree with oldfart....

there is no better proof that "racing is marketing" and ive been thinking about this recently, up to earlier on today i thought to myself about this, and coincidentally enough i end up here to state this....

If the manufacturers had their pros out there on two strokes, the general public would still be on them, a tleast much more so than they are now, heck, us weekend warriors and local pros alike for some reason have this thing about running something as close to what the pros run, i'm guilty of it too, i havent had a 2 stroke since 2005, but more and more, i'm seeing no reason why my next bike shouldnt be a nice 2011 KTM 250SX, i'm over all the 4 stroke hype bs myself..
6/11/2010 2:36pm
adamdf wrote:
i agree with oldfart.... there is no better proof that "racing is marketing" and ive been thinking about this recently, up to earlier on today i...
i agree with oldfart....

there is no better proof that "racing is marketing" and ive been thinking about this recently, up to earlier on today i thought to myself about this, and coincidentally enough i end up here to state this....

If the manufacturers had their pros out there on two strokes, the general public would still be on them, a tleast much more so than they are now, heck, us weekend warriors and local pros alike for some reason have this thing about running something as close to what the pros run, i'm guilty of it too, i havent had a 2 stroke since 2005, but more and more, i'm seeing no reason why my next bike shouldnt be a nice 2011 KTM 250SX, i'm over all the 4 stroke hype bs myself..
I'm personally very interested in seeing how the whole KTM things ends up panning out. I know offroad, all over, people show results of races, and it is like 60% or more of KTM's on the line. Was it because their bikes were great in the past? KTM found a niche and went with it. I'm wondering with both the 150sx which keeps on getting rave reviews, 250sx which has a ton of power for a 250 2 stroke and the new 350F, will their market share in mx/sx really jump up this year and in the future? Will be interesting to see. I have seen a ton of guys who in the past would say things like I wouldn't ride a KTM if I was paid too, now saying, I'm considering a orange bike. Just interesting.
John Birch
6/11/2010 2:40pm
adamdf wrote:
i agree with oldfart.... there is no better proof that "racing is marketing" and ive been thinking about this recently, up to earlier on today i...
i agree with oldfart....

I'm personally very interested in seeing how the whole KTM things ends up panning out. I know offroad, all over, people show results of races, and...
I'm personally very interested in seeing how the whole KTM things ends up panning out. I know offroad, all over, people show results of races, and it is like 60% or more of KTM's on the line. Was it because their bikes were great in the past? KTM found a niche and went with it. I'm wondering with both the 150sx which keeps on getting rave reviews, 250sx which has a ton of power for a 250 2 stroke and the new 350F, will their market share in mx/sx really jump up this year and in the future? Will be interesting to see. I have seen a ton of guys who in the past would say things like I wouldn't ride a KTM if I was paid too, now saying, I'm considering a orange bike. Just interesting.
No one cares what a fucking looney snake oil salesman thinks. You need professional help. Please turn the computer off and go seek a mental health professional... I'm dead serious.
newmann
6/11/2010 2:42pm
John Birch wrote:
No one cares what a fucking looney snake oil salesman thinks. You need professional help. Please turn the computer off and go seek a mental health...
No one cares what a fucking looney snake oil salesman thinks. You need professional help. Please turn the computer off and go seek a mental health professional... I'm dead serious.
Stalker???
adamdf
6/11/2010 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2010 2:45pm
adamdf wrote:
i agree with oldfart....

I'm personally very interested in seeing how the whole KTM things ends up panning out. I know offroad, all over, people show results of races, and...
curious about the same things, even on this forum alone (knock on wood), there is a lot less KTM bashing and a lot more love for KTM going around, i personally think they understand riders more than the japs now, and they are showing that these last couple years more than ever, it seems like we (the casual weekend riders and racers) have a voice over at KTM and they are listening...of course it benefits them, its business to them (like the others too), but more power to them for it because they haven't neglected anyone's needs it seems, there is a bike for everyone at KTM.

I really admire their perseverance with the US market, one has to say it wasn't easy for KTM to make a break through in the US, but they kept trying, they kept listening to feedback and they kept improving, and now they are a model to be followed in my opinion..
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/11/2010 2:44pm
lostboy819 wrote:
He already said no. He said that they will race what the manufactures make and because Yamaha and KTM are the only ones making a 2...
He already said no. He said that they will race what the manufactures make and because Yamaha and KTM are the only ones making a 2 stoke it would not be fair to the others. He also said that a fast rider on a 250 stroke would be several seconds faster than a 250 four stroke so no 250 two strokes in the lites class. I disagree with his view but he knows who pays the bills and who calls the shots.
BobbyM wrote:
i thought DC said he would revisit the issue in due time because the lead issue and stuff last year
I believe he will revisit the issue and I am sure he will look at it from all sides. Even though I think they are wrong, I dont have but a small amount of information about what goes on with the OEMs and other race teams and he does need to take their point of view over ours. I do think things will change but its still several years down the road.
Void Main
6/11/2010 2:52pm
2stroke153 wrote:
I know this is kinda early, but just thought maybe we could get the ball rolling again. You think you might be able to get them...
I know this is kinda early, but just thought maybe we could get the ball rolling again. You think you might be able to get them 2-strokes a fair chance next year? I got faith in you! Just saying!
I think it's obvious by last year's statements that DC just doesn't give a shit. His comment was that he didn't want things to be "unfair" yet if he really cared about things being fair he would realize that things aren't fair now. They need to just ditch the cc limit in the big class the way it is. It's obvious nobody would run a 4-stroke bigger than the 450 when a 350 is already showing to be faster. Take the got damn cc limit out altogether for any stroke.

Everyone knows a 500 is not going to dominate and it's not likely a 250 is going to dominate so you have to figure the fastest sized 2-stroke is probably somewhere between 250 and 500.. There aren't too many production bikes out there with that size at the moment so take down the stupid size limits and let the manufacturers innovate.

I would like to see them go back to a 125 class for the small bikes and make the other class an open class. The top riders will probably be able to win on either technology and that would give the manufacturer the freedom to pay their top riders to ride that manufacturers preferred choice. You might see KTM with a rider on both a 300 2-stroke and a rider on a 350 4-stroke some day where many of the others might pay their riders to ride their 4-stroke only. Choices.
RACEGUY
6/11/2010 2:55pm
Actually, correction. From the 70's to 1994 it was 370cc or 360cc? 4 strokes vs 250cc 2 strokes.
You'll have to show me.

Pretty much everywhere we went we were racing 250s against 500 4T singles. Our Pros who were riding 350cc 2T and big (500cc plus) 4-strokes had to race an "open" or GP class.
pie8man
6/11/2010 3:00pm
There are still plenty of available 2 stokes new at dealerships and used all over the country that if you want to go race one go ahead. If gives a poo what Bubba races. If you believe that "technology" makes production bikes leaps and bounds better every year your f'n mad!! Fork technology has not changed since well they went upside down cartridge style, we are running the same shock technology as the 90's and if yer that concerned you can bolt on fully custom boingers from any aftermarket company you want. Locally after you turn 25 you can pretty much ride any class you want on whatever bike you choose to ride. If you can't then find a new vet class promoter that has a run what ya brung class. Even at 205Lbs I turn faster laps on a 250F than 250 2 stroke. In fact I run faster times longer on a 250F than I do on my 450!!
Point is Ride whatever you like. if you wanna race other 2 strokes than find a 2 stroke national to attend.
pie8man
6/11/2010 3:01pm
Put everyone on the same exact bike then let's see what happens.
Everyone is on the exact same bike. Happy? You finally have what you want.
loftyair
6/11/2010 3:08pm
no more cc limits or stroke limits, but lower the weight limit. Premier class for faster guys, support class for guys coming back, new, or simply not fast enough. Premier gets all the glory, and money, and fame(tv). Support class just gets honorable mention(just a glimpse on tv). That way Support class is cheaper to run, and get noticed by the big-buck Premier class. Both classes 'open' cc and stroke for best match of rider and bike.
Torco1
6/11/2010 3:10pm
I'm pretty sure the bike would'nt go very fast with all those people on it. Tongue
Void Main
6/11/2010 3:16pm
Torco1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the bike would'nt go very fast with all those people on it. Tongue
Smile
Torco1
6/11/2010 3:16pm
pie8man wrote:
There are still plenty of available 2 stokes new at dealerships and used all over the country that if you want to go race one go...
There are still plenty of available 2 stokes new at dealerships and used all over the country that if you want to go race one go ahead. If gives a poo what Bubba races. If you believe that "technology" makes production bikes leaps and bounds better every year your f'n mad!! Fork technology has not changed since well they went upside down cartridge style, we are running the same shock technology as the 90's and if yer that concerned you can bolt on fully custom boingers from any aftermarket company you want. Locally after you turn 25 you can pretty much ride any class you want on whatever bike you choose to ride. If you can't then find a new vet class promoter that has a run what ya brung class. Even at 205Lbs I turn faster laps on a 250F than 250 2 stroke. In fact I run faster times longer on a 250F than I do on my 450!!
Point is Ride whatever you like. if you wanna race other 2 strokes than find a 2 stroke national to attend.
You pretty much said exactly what I was going to say.
Void Main
6/11/2010 3:20pm
pie8man wrote:
There are still plenty of available 2 stokes new at dealerships and used all over the country that if you want to go race one go...
Torco1 wrote:
You pretty much said exactly what I was going to say.
I would like to ride a 300 2-stroke in the 450 class this weekend but they won't let me.
6/11/2010 3:23pm
RACEGUY wrote:
You'll have to show me. Pretty much everywhere we went we were racing 250s against 500 4T singles. Our Pros who were riding 350cc 2T and...
You'll have to show me.

Pretty much everywhere we went we were racing 250s against 500 4T singles. Our Pros who were riding 350cc 2T and big (500cc plus) 4-strokes had to race an "open" or GP class.
TerryB
6/11/2010 3:29pm
...and at the same time, there are people who say "the sport has gotten too dangerous. Too many injuries. The bikes have gotten too fast, we need to slow them down, maybe even limiting suspension travel". Well, wouldn't the solution be, going back to the "slower" 2-strokes?

Few seem to recognize that everyone stepped up a class, without realizing it. There is talk about raising the cc limit of the 2's to compete. What was once a 125cc class is now a 250cc class. What was once a 250cc class is now, in effect, the old Open class. But people complain that there needs to be a solution to the "bikes being too fast" problem, by get this, "limiting suspension travel".

Seems the solution is so obvious that it's painful. Bring back a 125 class, a 250 class, and an Open class for those big cc monsters that let you jump any gap with a twist of the wrist.

Then there are the fools who say " it would be dangerous trying to jump some of those gaps on a 125" . Well, make the gaps smaller, duh.

Back in the 80's and 90's I don't remember anyone saying that 125's just weren't fast enough. We had a lot of pros going blazing fast on them. It's just that they were forced to compete in the next class up, unwillingly, and unknowingly.

CC to CC, three classes. That's the only logical answer. But there's no room for logic with the AMA, the OEM's, DC and The Problem.
Torco1
6/11/2010 3:30pm
Void Main wrote:
I would like to ride a 300 2-stroke in the 450 class this weekend but they won't let me.
Just change the graphics on the bike to say 250, that's what I do at the Loretta qualifiers. Works like a charm.
petegrath
6/11/2010 3:39pm
2stroke153 wrote:
I know this is kinda early, but just thought maybe we could get the ball rolling again. You think you might be able to get them...
I know this is kinda early, but just thought maybe we could get the ball rolling again. You think you might be able to get them 2-strokes a fair chance next year? I got faith in you! Just saying!
500guy wrote:
2 Strokes are dead, get over it
Huh,

Mine runs great. Somebody should've told me it was dead! Pinch
sec114
6/11/2010 3:47pm
Renner153 wrote:
They need to let full privateer guys (wharthog racing, guys in pick up trucks an motorhomes etc) race a 250 2 stroke in the lites class...
They need to let full privateer guys (wharthog racing, guys in pick up trucks an motorhomes etc) race a 250 2 stroke in the lites class and make the factory guys (pc, rockstar Suzuki, geico etc) race the 4 strokes. That would make it more fair for the entire class. The facotry bikes are plenty fast to hang with a 2 stroke and the riders on them are the best and should still be able to beat them. This would help out the privateers by saving money on parts, bikes, etc and give them a little advantage too. Just my opinion tho
yet another good idea that will probably never happen. i like idea mentioned earlier of letting a 2 stroke 125's go up to 150cc and so on.
6/11/2010 4:28pm
TerryB wrote:
...and at the same time, there are people who say "the sport has gotten too dangerous. Too many injuries. The bikes have gotten too fast, we...
...and at the same time, there are people who say "the sport has gotten too dangerous. Too many injuries. The bikes have gotten too fast, we need to slow them down, maybe even limiting suspension travel". Well, wouldn't the solution be, going back to the "slower" 2-strokes?

Few seem to recognize that everyone stepped up a class, without realizing it. There is talk about raising the cc limit of the 2's to compete. What was once a 125cc class is now a 250cc class. What was once a 250cc class is now, in effect, the old Open class. But people complain that there needs to be a solution to the "bikes being too fast" problem, by get this, "limiting suspension travel".

Seems the solution is so obvious that it's painful. Bring back a 125 class, a 250 class, and an Open class for those big cc monsters that let you jump any gap with a twist of the wrist.

Then there are the fools who say " it would be dangerous trying to jump some of those gaps on a 125" . Well, make the gaps smaller, duh.

Back in the 80's and 90's I don't remember anyone saying that 125's just weren't fast enough. We had a lot of pros going blazing fast on them. It's just that they were forced to compete in the next class up, unwillingly, and unknowingly.

CC to CC, three classes. That's the only logical answer. But there's no room for logic with the AMA, the OEM's, DC and The Problem.
I made mention of this in one of my earlier posts and I will add one step further. Bring back a 125cc support class.. Make it only open to pro's who have held a license 3 years or less.. Make their first year pro manditory in this class.This will keep "career" 125 riders out of the class and those who are to big for a 125 from having to ride the class more than one year.

Make a 250cc and open class the premire classes. Equal CC, any stroke in the 250 class..production rule, and current fuel/sound restrictions in place. Maybe put a points system in place for this class to force riders to move up, to keep them from being a "career" rider in this class

In the open class, allow any CC, 2 or 4 stroke, and allow works bikes...Make this class the pinnacle. The biggest purse, exotic bikes etc. Only have sound/fuel restrictions. Let the riders choose what they want to ride.

This senario works well for the outdoors, but i dont think it would for supercross. Therefore I could see it going back to a 125 E/W support class, and then an open class for the main supercross class.
RACEGUY
6/11/2010 4:35pm
RACEGUY wrote:
You'll have to show me. Pretty much everywhere we went we were racing 250s against 500 4T singles. Our Pros who were riding 350cc 2T and...
You'll have to show me.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/TRexRacing/4stroke.jpg[/img]
That looks like an article out of a newspaper or magazine. If you trust that shit, I have a bridge in Brooklyn and some ready-to-develop land in Florida you might be interested in.

Off-road guys were running British 500 4Ts in the "premier" class against CZ 250s within the rule-book.

I'm not calling you out. I'd like to see an FIM book from those days.

If your clipping is right, we were getting cheated at a lot of races, unless the 360 thing was exclusive to MX.
Hank_Thrill
6/11/2010 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:22pm
For the average weekend warrior, or just anyone who loves to throw a leg over a bike and hit the track, 2-strokes are the way to go. Why anyone who has not completely dedicated their life to racing would buy a heavy, expensive to maintain, four stroke blows me. I ride motocross for fun, nothing else. I could care less about racing, and to me, riding a 2-stroke closer to its full potential (which i'm not even close to doing), is a lot funner than riding an entire track in 2nd and 3rd gear on a four-banger.

Four strokes came about when the economy was healthy. Look back, everything was getting bigger, cars, houses, and the motorcycle manufactures were pushing 4-strokes down the sheep's throught. Why? probably the same reason GM was producing such huge gas guzzling SUV's: to make more money!

MX has now practically turned into a rich man's sport like golfing. Look were Stewart came from. I doubt a low income family of his now days could make racing ends meet.

I commend KTM, and Yamaha for supporting the motocross community buy producing 2-strokes. I've never owned a KTM, but I don't think i'll ride anything but these two brands from now on.

Post a reply to: Hey DC! Now about them 2-strokes

The Latest