Herlings interview – No Decision!!!

Edited Date/Time 11/25/2015 11:39am
Red Bull KTM Factory rider Jeffrey Herlings answered a question last weekend at the Milan Show and the context of his answer has mixed reaction from the media, Mxlarge included. When asked how he felt about 2016 he mentioned that he would try and get the championship back, thus we thought he meant the MX2 title back. It turns out that isn’t the case.

We decided to call Herlings up and ask him if he in fact was staying in the MX2 class, or in fact still considered moving up to the MXGP class.

Mxlarge: Jeffrey, last week in Milan you mentioned you would try and get the championship back, and the interviewer also mentioned how tough the MX2 class will be, and how many titles KTM have won in the class. It seems that you still haven’t actually made the decision which class you will do?

Herlings: It was a difficult question and they said something like no pressure for you in 2016, so it wasn’t a confirmation that I will race in MX2 or go to MXGP, it was a question and now everyone says I will stay in MX2. I fly to Austria on Wednesday and I will have a talk with and Red Bull, Pit and Smets and some big guys in the sport and we will make a decision, but for now nothing is decided.

Mxlarge: How difficult is it to make that decision?

Herlings: Obviously I would love to race the 450 guys, but at the same time I have something to prove in the MX2 class. Winning two titles in the last two years should have been possible, but due to injuries I didn’t win. I still want to win another MX2 championship, that was always my goal, but of course I don’t want to be a pussy and not move up to the MXGP guys and battle the big guns.

Mxlarge: Do you favor one class over the other in your head at the moment?

Herlings: It is a mixed feeling, everyone keeps asking and making such a big deal out of it, but whatever class I stay in it will be racing in Europe either on the 250 or the 450, to be honest I don’t know what the big deal is. People are making such a big deal about it. We make the decision in the next two weeks.

Mxlarge: You know I am a big fan of yours and if you want to stay in the MX2 class then you are entitles to do that and deserve to make that decision, but as a fan, and I am guessing a majority of the fans and maybe even yourself think the same, we would love to see you on the 450. With Gajser moving up, does that put pressure on you to move up?

Herlings: I think for Gajser it’s a different situation. He also knows had I not got injured I would have won the title, I had a 150 point lead when I got hurt. If he stayed in MX2 and lost the title to me, it’s a failure, but if he moves to MXGP, and goes third or fifth or 10th, it’s good. When you win the championship and then lose it, it’s different to winning it and defending it. I won it and defended it, then won it again and defended it, I was 145 points in the lead and broke my femur, then the following year I was 150 points ahead and again lost it because of injury. It isn’t easy.

Mxlarge: What is the situation with the seeing the doctor and getting an answer from him?

Herlings: I am going to see the doctor this week and find out when I can start riding, hopefully I can start riding again this week then we make a decision. This is the point everyone is waiting for and to see which class I do.

Mxlarge: I am guessing if the doctor tells you that you can’t ride yet, and you can’t start preparing for MXGP straight away, that it will more than likely be the MX2 class in 2016?

Herlings: Definitely. When you go to MXGP you need a solid three months to prepare, totally healthy and have a good preparation. I showed in MX2 last year I hadn’t ridden the bike in seven months and I won the first round. So it’s a lot easier to prepare for MX2 than MXGP and I need time on the bike. Of course MX2 is weaker, but it shouldn’t be looked like a weak class, there are a lot of really good young riders moving up and MX2 shouldn’t be underestimated. It isn’t easy winning championships, it isn’t as easy as it looks.

Mxlarge: You came into the season not 100% and you made a lot of mistakes and ok some of the mistakes were not your mistakes, but you still made a lot of mistakes. Recovering from those injuries must take a lot from your mind. Do you feel that happens because your off-season wasn’t a good one?

Herlings: Yes, 100%. I think most of the things was because of my winter preparation. I had like nine days to prepare for Qatar and it was god’s miracle that I could ride in Qatar. I had so much muscle pain from riding because I had hardly ridden all off season. I didn’t have time for a break, and it was falling from one hole to another and the hole got deeper and deeper until I finally really hurt myself bad.

Mxlarge: What about the MXGP class. Even if you don’t move up there are like five former world champions in the class.

Herlings: This year if you look at the season nobody expected Febvre and Gajser being crowned world champions. Last season was crazy, and if everyone stays healthy in 2016 it’s going to be a great season. Everyone is going faster and they are stronger and the tracks are getting faster and the crashes will be bigger. Hopefully everyone stays healthy in 2016.

Mxlarge: How are KTM with the decision? Do they have any input into your decision, Pit or Joel, do they have anything to say about your decision, or do they leave it up to you?

Herlings: Like I said, the press have been talking about it so much, but Pit and I haven’t even talked about it so much. I have been thinking about it, but it’s up to what the doctors says, and I know KTM are like family I have been with them for like seven years. The decision will be a team decision.
|
11/23/2015 8:14am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2015 8:15am
DeStouwer wrote:
AAAHHHR MXLARGE! BURN IT!
yeah but the only one not simply copy and paste news messages in this case .......Smile

and whats wrong with this interview ??
h&m_cycle
11/23/2015 8:23am
Wow!!! He hasn't made a decision yet on what class to run!!! I can't wait till he decides!!!

I thought someone found a cure for cancer or something hee hee...

Just bustin' balls on my only day off... carry on...
The Champ
11/23/2015 8:34am
You can tell he's going to stay in mx2.

The Shop

crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
11/23/2015 9:07am
good job opening another thread on the same topic
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
11/23/2015 9:11am
crusty_xx wrote:
Yeah but in this thread we got the update that there has been no decision!!!!!!!!!!!
ATKpilot99
11/23/2015 9:26am
Does it really matter ? He'll move up eventually and the MXGP class is just fine without him.
DeStouwer
11/23/2015 9:31am
DeStouwer wrote:
yeah but the only one not simply copy and paste news messages in this case .......Smile

He says he has something to prove in MX2. He doesn't. Everyone knows he's the strongest and fastest in that class for the past 4 years, resulting in 40+ GP-victories and 2 titles. Time to move on.
nytsmaC
11/23/2015 9:46am
I hope that when he decides, he makes "The Decision" on live prime time TV. Because the world cannot keep turning until he decides.

At least he admits that not moving up is a pussy move. I think he's searching for a way to make the pussy move without being called a pussy.
ATKpilot99
11/23/2015 9:52am
nytsmaC wrote:
I hope that when he decides, he makes "The Decision" on live prime time TV. Because the world cannot keep turning until he decides. At least...
I hope that when he decides, he makes "The Decision" on live prime time TV. Because the world cannot keep turning until he decides.

At least he admits that not moving up is a pussy move. I think he's searching for a way to make the pussy move without being called a pussy.
Ha ha .... Lebron Herlings.
11/23/2015 10:02am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2015 10:06am
all those funny americans .......LaughingTongueLaughing if it isnt about a US rider , fuck it ........ how many clueless JS7 threads there are , not to mention the countless useless non topic fishing Cad reed topics WoohooWoohooWoohoo

why comment if youre not interested ?? must be an american thing he .... need to comment and say something about it

karsmakers
11/23/2015 10:29am
DeStouwer wrote:

DeStouwer wrote:
He says he has something to prove in MX2. He doesn't. Everyone knows he's the strongest and fastest in that class for the past 4 years...
He says he has something to prove in MX2. He doesn't. Everyone knows he's the strongest and fastest in that class for the past 4 years, resulting in 40+ GP-victories and 2 titles. Time to move on.
"Of course MX2 is weaker, but it shouldn’t be looked like a weak class" ....... straight from his own mouth. Jeffrey isn't about racing the best, he is about adding easy wins to his resume so he can catch Everts. Time for a cup check and time to start lifting bro!
SKlein
11/23/2015 10:48am
crusty_xx wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
Yeah but in this thread we got the update that there has been no decision!!!!!!!!!!!
I sure am excited now!!
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/23/2015 11:08am
all those funny americans .......:laugh: :P :laugh: if it isnt about a US rider , fuck it ........ how many clueless JS7 threads there are...
all those funny americans .......LaughingTongueLaughing if it isnt about a US rider , fuck it ........ how many clueless JS7 threads there are , not to mention the countless useless non topic fishing Cad reed topics WoohooWoohooWoohoo

why comment if youre not interested ?? must be an american thing he .... need to comment and say something about it

Hey look it's Richard Loots bashing Americans. How surprising!
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/23/2015 11:14am
crusty_xx wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
DeStouwer
11/23/2015 11:20am

DeStouwer wrote:
He says he has something to prove in MX2. He doesn't. Everyone knows he's the strongest and fastest in that class for the past 4 years...
karsmakers wrote:
"Of course MX2 is weaker, but it shouldn’t be looked like a weak class" ....... straight from his own mouth. Jeffrey isn't about racing the best...
"Of course MX2 is weaker, but it shouldn’t be looked like a weak class" ....... straight from his own mouth. Jeffrey isn't about racing the best, he is about adding easy wins to his resume so he can catch Everts. Time for a cup check and time to start lifting bro!
True that.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
11/23/2015 11:28am
all those funny americans .......:laugh: :P :laugh: if it isnt about a US rider , fuck it ........ how many clueless JS7 threads there are...

731chopper wrote:
Hey look it's Richard Loots bashing Americans. How surprising!
does he think Switzerland is part of the USA?
philG
11/23/2015 11:47am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Do you know who Lebron James is ?
no.. not on my radar
ATKpilot99
11/23/2015 11:54am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Do you know who Lebron James is ?
philG wrote:
no.. not on my radar
If you have the time and inclination Google Lebron James , the decision , and you'll get the reference.
nytsmaC
11/23/2015 12:04pm
IWreckALot wrote:
That sand bagging son of a bitch.
Give him a break. He only won two championships. The other two he was only leading by a measly 150 points.

He still has something to prove, bro.
11/23/2015 12:17pm
yeah there are all the keyboard warriors .... just start a Herlings topic TongueTongueTongue always the same people , next time i will add youre names ...
Aryen
11/23/2015 12:30pm
No decision yesssss! Me fanboy and hope for MXGP! Wink
philG
11/23/2015 12:35pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
If you have the time and inclination Google Lebron James , the decision , and you'll get the reference.
makes sense now, still dont know him though

I guess it would be like me comparing James Stewart to Cameron Jerome
nytsmaC
11/23/2015 12:48pm
yeah there are all the keyboard warriors .... just start a Herlings topic :P :P :P always the same people , next time i will add...
yeah there are all the keyboard warriors .... just start a Herlings topic TongueTongueTongue always the same people , next time i will add youre names ...

Motofinne
11/23/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2015 1:03pm
Herlings threads on Vital = not good.

Herlings 2 titles. Jeremy Martin 2 titles.

And Herlings is 1 year younger. Just because Herlings started racing at a world class level as a 15-16 year old boy doesn't mean that he needs to jump to a 450 after 2 horrible years of major injuries.

I would LOVE to see him in the MXGP class in 2016 but if he can't be 100% on a 350/450 in Qatar, fine. Postpone it to 2017.

Post a reply to: Herlings interview – No Decision!!!

The Latest