Here we go

Edited Date/Time 9/13/2017 6:23am
So I had an eventful night last night. We showed up late and ended up missing both practices. Never rode this track before either. Go out for moto 1 and end up 7th out of 12. I'm happy for just getting a feel of the track. Moto 2. I grab a massive holeshot and I'm out front leading until....disaster strikes. Landed a double went to gas it for the next double and nothing. I'm thinking did my bike somehow kick down into neuatral? I click down into first and gas it and go nowhere. I costed over the double and then my bike starting hopping. This is what happened.

Yes it's a Tusk hub. Yes I torqued my sprocket bolts to Yamaha spec and used red Loctite as well. Maybe it was negligence on my part and not double checking the torque on them every so often. Just put them on in April when I got new tires so I thought they'd be good for awhile. I'm just super lucky this happened on a landing and didn't result in a bad crash. Flame away fellow vitards
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/10/2017 7:08am
So many sprocket bolt jokes to come...

The Shop

9/10/2017 7:38am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2017 8:35am
Blue pants, jersey, hub, sprocket, chain guide, and motorcycle. Still makes the wrong choice and puts red loc tite on his sprocket bolts. Classic Vitard
9/10/2017 7:39am
Blue pants, jersey, hub, sprocket, chain guide, and motorcycle. Still makes the wrong choice and puts red loc tite on his sprocket bolts. Classic Vitard
So your saying if I used BLUE loctite this wouldn't of happened? Lol
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
9/10/2017 8:01am
Forgot the blue stand, case saver, shifter tip, blue end grips, levers and axle blocks.

Whole lot of blue.
500guy
9/10/2017 8:02am
Check spokes and sprocket bolts and generally everything I can get to before I go out every time.

Glad you were not hurt.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/10/2017 8:15am
Dang man.... glad you're ok!! That could have been bad. Now that we all know you're ok, I can't wait to see what peely says
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/10/2017 9:02am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Forgot the blue stand, case saver, shifter tip, blue end grips, levers and axle blocks.

Whole lot of blue.
Blue Grip tips too, can't forget that.

I will admit, I'm guilty of having some matching bling. But I'm old and my mom always taught me how to match my colors - laundry
Old-Man
9/10/2017 9:06am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2017 9:12am
How tight was that chain?

You said you tightened the bolts but the sprocket looks like it was running loose before letting go.
See the round out on the Hub?

9/10/2017 9:38am
Real talk.. tusk hubs are shittttt
I blew a brand new one out, whole inside turned to mush

they did replace it, but I was happy to not use them again
BobPA
9/10/2017 9:53am
No broken case and no broken you. Stuff happens.
DPR250R wrote:
My thoughts as well.
This. At least you've got some cool carnage to hang on the wall
mxb2
9/10/2017 10:12am
68 wrote:
Real talk.. tusk hubs are shittttt I blew a brand new one out, whole inside turned to mush they did replace it, but I was happy...

Yep, but you will have riders say, at least they are inexpensive. Get what ya pay for.
downard254
9/10/2017 10:15am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2017 10:16am
From the looks of the stretched holes in the hub (all in the same direction) it almost looks as if the chain was too tight. I had my chain tight years ago and it snapped every link in the chain at the pin holes. If it was tight, then I'll say that is a bad ass case you have there on that engine.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
9/10/2017 10:18am
68 wrote:
Real talk.. tusk hubs are shittttt I blew a brand new one out, whole inside turned to mush they did replace it, but I was happy...

mxb2 wrote:
Yep, but you will have riders say, at least they are inexpensive. Get what ya pay for.
That's interesting...I run a Tusk rear hub on my GNCC bike. Its been on the bike for 3 seasons without a problem.
9/10/2017 10:19am
Old-Man wrote:
How tight was that chain? You said you tightened the bolts but the sprocket looks like it was running loose before letting go. See the round...
How tight was that chain?

You said you tightened the bolts but the sprocket looks like it was running loose before letting go.
See the round out on the Hub?

The chain was a little on the loose side but I've seen people ride with them much worse then mine was. I was adjusting the chain after almost every ride this year and that had me curious. I didn't think I should have to adjust one that often. I can't remember what chain it was I'm thinking a oem type replacement DID.
But honestly what do you guys think caused this? I couldn't find any of the bolts anywhere. I was curious if the nut backed off any of them or something like that. I'm but sure what brand wheel to get next along with what sprocket to get. I guess I'll be checking every nut & bolt religiously from now on
9/10/2017 10:21am
68 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
That's interesting...I run a Tusk rear hub on my GNCC bike. Its been on the bike for 3 seasons without a problem.
October will make it 3 years for these hubs and this is my first issue. I honestly think tusk makes good products but some will argue and say there junk because there cheap
9/10/2017 10:23am
downard254 wrote:
From the looks of the stretched holes in the hub (all in the same direction) it almost looks as if the chain was too tight. I...
From the looks of the stretched holes in the hub (all in the same direction) it almost looks as if the chain was too tight. I had my chain tight years ago and it snapped every link in the chain at the pin holes. If it was tight, then I'll say that is a bad ass case you have there on that engine.
That's kinda what I thought but I know it was on the loose side last night. Maybe I've been running my tension too tight before?
mxb2
9/10/2017 10:23am
68 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
True, but peace of mind is worth extra $500 to me. And easier resale on top end wheelsets.
9/10/2017 10:24am
No broken case and no broken you. Stuff happens.
DPR250R wrote:
My thoughts as well.
BobPA wrote:
This. At least you've got some cool carnage to hang on the wall
Yeah I'm going to try to make a clock out of it for the shop lol
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/10/2017 10:52am
Too much blue, and I'm gonna bet the chain was too tight.
Be glad it wasn't worse, and drop the cash on faster hubs. Made in America and are hopefully stronger than Tusk hubs. After you lace up the new wheels, set the chain proper and for the love of God torque your bolts! CRISS CROSS!

Post a reply to: Here we go

The Latest