Helping load/unload bikes at track..

Edited Date/Time 9/25/2017 1:39pm
If I remember correctly, a couple months back, Mathes and keefer talked about the topic of helping people unload/load bikes out of pick up trucks on the PulpMX show. It went somewhere along the lines of “If you can’t do it by yourself, you shouldn’t be riding”.

Well, here I am. Just barely able to do it by myself Laughing anyways.

Is it cool to ask for a hand while unloading and loading bikes? If someone asked me I’d gladly lend a hand.

What do you guys think? Do you agree if you can’t unload and load by yourself you shouldn’t ride?

Btw, my truck is not lifted, it’s just me and my weak upper body Laughing
|
9/23/2017 11:22pm
Use a ramp. Simple.

I agree if you cant load and unload out of a ute maybe you need to switch to a van or low trailer.

Ride it up- good balance and clutch control
Roll it down using your stand to help with the height.
If your game. roll it down the ramp while sitting on it.
9/23/2017 11:34pm
Use a ramp. Simple. I agree if you cant load and unload out of a ute maybe you need to switch to a van or low...
Use a ramp. Simple.

I agree if you cant load and unload out of a ute maybe you need to switch to a van or low trailer.

Ride it up- good balance and clutch control
Roll it down using your stand to help with the height.
If your game. roll it down the ramp while sitting on it.
Granted I will mention I am fresh off a shoulder injury. The motion of pushing my bike up the ramp doesn’t exactly feel great, but I can ride the bike pain free.

I live in Oregon and although it’s not illegal, A forest ranger once saw my brother ride his bike onto the ramp into the truck and WAS NOT happy about. Plus I think it’s a little sketchy but that’s just me. Maybe I’ll give it a crack tomorrow.
9/23/2017 11:38pm
Granted I will mention I am fresh off a shoulder injury. The motion of pushing my bike up the ramp doesn’t exactly feel great, but I...
Granted I will mention I am fresh off a shoulder injury. The motion of pushing my bike up the ramp doesn’t exactly feel great, but I can ride the bike pain free.

I live in Oregon and although it’s not illegal, A forest ranger once saw my brother ride his bike onto the ramp into the truck and WAS NOT happy about. Plus I think it’s a little sketchy but that’s just me. Maybe I’ll give it a crack tomorrow.
You probably shouldnt be riding if your shoulder is weak like that. You may not have the strength to prevent a crash.

Dont see why its a problem if he had a helmet on. But if your balance and clutch control is not at a reasonable level maybe practice first. Seen a few guys stall mid way up the ramp and eat shit
Idaho747
9/24/2017 3:26am
Trifold tamp. Easiest thing ever. Ride it up. Walk it down with the front brake. have been doing this since I was 12.

The Shop

philG
9/24/2017 3:32am
Its why Pick up trucks are useless for carrying a motorcycle. Always wanted one, loaded a bike in one once, dont want one any more.

Unless is an El Camino.
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/24/2017 5:00am
Wow, ride the bike into the truck. Have been doing it for years, nothing sketchy about it. Sale it, buy a cat and go the Bruce Jenner route. Unreal
ATKpilot99
9/24/2017 5:05am Edited Date/Time 9/24/2017 5:07am
Old S10s and Rangers are pretty easy to step on to. Full size ,especially 4wd pickups with higher suspension not so much. Riding up can be sketchy. I usually use my bike stand to step up or if you can , find an area where the ground is sloped making it less of a step up. Pickups are not ideal though. I've been thinking about getting a hitch carrier. What I want to know is what does Matthes know about loading/unloading a bike from a pickup ? Doesn't he drive a Ridgeline ?Wink Edit : Ah yes .... The usual vital "tough" guy responses.
ATKpilot99
9/24/2017 5:11am
Also if someone does ask for help I'm glad to do it . I would think most are.
MR. X
9/24/2017 6:10am
Mathes has no right to make fun of anybody for any reason.
9/24/2017 6:11am
My moto transportation setup is designed around me loading/unloading by my self. I would always help someone if they needed it.
Highsider
9/24/2017 6:26am
My moto transportation setup is designed around me loading/unloading by my self. I would always help someone if they needed it.
Same for me for the past 13+ years at least.
DoctorJD
9/24/2017 6:30am
Folding ramp and a folding plastic stool (or stand). However, if your shoulder is so bad you can't load your bike, you don't need to be riding. This from someone who just got back on the bike after a year of letting my shoulder(s) heal.
brocster
9/24/2017 6:52am
The key to getting a bike into the back of a truck is momentum on the ground. Either way, riding or pushing , getting the bike moving on the ground fast enough that it basically loads itself and all you do is guide/ride. I too have a truck and consider tailgate height a major concrn upon purchase. Plus look for slopes and what not in the parking lots to make it easier and I am A tall guy. Oh had shoulder surgery too and felt that little pain loading for atleast a year afterwards.
bvm111
9/24/2017 7:03am
I use a step stool and park my truck so I have gravity to aid me when loading up at the end of the day.

Didn't think there was this much mystery about loading and using a truck. Where I ride I would say it's easily 80% pickups used to transport.
TeamGreen
9/24/2017 7:11am
I'm short and some of my trucks are tall:; so, every now and then I need a little help getting my bike out...I usually ride it back in.

If I'm around and someone needs a hand? I'm glad to give it.

Karma (like certain egos as mentioned on a specific podcast) is a relative thing.
49weasel
9/24/2017 7:17am
My parents were divorced and I lived with my mom. When I was on 80’s my mom could / would help load the bike into the truck. Once a 125 was in the garage she wasn’t strong enough to help me anymore,so she quickly said you want to ride you’ll find a way to load it.
So I’m a firm believer in if you can’t load it you shouldn’t be riding. With that being said I lend a hand if someone needs help.
JohnnyD13
9/24/2017 7:19am
I've seen guys throw the back end of the bike out while they step down. It's amazing and the guy was over 60. I tried it and smashed my tailgate. I'll video next time he does it.
TeamGreen
9/24/2017 7:25am
49weasel wrote:
My parents were divorced and I lived with my mom. When I was on 80’s my mom could / would help load the bike into the...
My parents were divorced and I lived with my mom. When I was on 80’s my mom could / would help load the bike into the truck. Once a 125 was in the garage she wasn’t strong enough to help me anymore,so she quickly said you want to ride you’ll find a way to load it.
So I’m a firm believer in if you can’t load it you shouldn’t be riding. With that being said I lend a hand if someone needs help.
Go back and contemplate your mom's point...

It's not about you doing it by yourself, it's about you being able to figure things out.

That's probably why a guy like you is perfectly willing to lend a hand.
HenryA
9/24/2017 7:34am
Perfectly fine to ask for help. Only a real dick would say no if you ask politely.
JB 19
9/24/2017 7:39am
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm short and some of my trucks are tall:; so, every now and then I need a little help getting my bike out...I usually ride it...
I'm short and some of my trucks are tall:; so, every now and then I need a little help getting my bike out...I usually ride it back in.

If I'm around and someone needs a hand? I'm glad to give it.

Karma (like certain egos as mentioned on a specific podcast) is a relative thing.
I agree. What's the big deal if someone needs a push? My 70 year old dad still likes to ride. He's been riding for 50 years. God forbid he may need a hand once in awhile.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
9/24/2017 7:41am
Usually by myself when go to the track and always use a truck to get there. I have a trusty "metal" milk crate that i've had for over 25 years that I bring along. Use it to hold my stand on the way to the track and a step when loading/unloading. Try to be smart where you park. Park "down hill" whenever possible, easier loading and usually it's not too difficult to unload. And of course don't be afraid to ask for help. Most moto people are good people and are more than willing to help out.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
9/24/2017 7:45am
Also forgot one of my favorite moto moments. I'm "small in stature", when I was 18 or so I guess you would call me scrawny....I had just one my first race in the C class and was loading up my bike after the race. The guy next to me was having his girlfriend help him load up, she says "look at him, if he can load his bike by himself, you should be able to". I was probably a little too cocky for winning a C class race but said "yeah I finished ahead of him also". She smiled at me, don't think he was too happy!
omalley
9/24/2017 7:51am
MR. X wrote:
Mathes has no right to make fun of anybody for any reason.
This.
MX558
9/24/2017 7:52am
I'm 52 and can load and unload by myself no problem but at the end of the day when I'm tired as shit I sometimes ask for a little push as do most of my buddies. I have a 15 f150 4wd btw. I like Mathes but he can suck it .
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
9/24/2017 9:13am
HenryA wrote:
Perfectly fine to ask for help. Only a real dick would say no if you ask politely.
Yes, if you are not comfortable riding it into the truck and can not push it and use the bike stand as a step then just ask someone. Honestly, it would shock me for someone to say no to something like that.

For the weary of riding up the regular alum bike ramp, this may be a good investment that is useful at home for your lawn mowers, atvs etc. It ties to the tailgate so you do not have to worry about spinning out the ramp.

disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
9/24/2017 9:30am
Use your bike stand as a step on the left side of the ramp while you walk it up - while it is running in first gear, of course.

Post a reply to: Helping load/unload bikes at track..

The Latest