Helping a child for sponsorship at LL?

Nbonney54
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 9:03am
I lurk here and don't post much. I'll be going to LL flr the first time, only as a mechanic. The kid im going with places 10th OA in his class last year and has now bumped up ( little bikes 50s to 65s)
Any tips on meeting people and getting his name out there?
I've learned some stuff with my little brother from his baseball scholarships and how he has to get his name to the right people, video of games, hand shakes and hellos to the scouts etc
Does this stuff apply in Moto as well? Go around to some of the support rigs ask around talk to a few people introduce him, carry around a resume of racing type deal?
Or would that be a waste of time? Kid is extremely polite and well spoken, makes friends where ever he goes and clearly has some speed.
Any help would be appreciated, or tear me apart for sounding dumb, that's cool too. Just wanna help him out of I get the chance because he works his little butt off. Still in public school and spends every minute outside it riding. Plus he is what got me involved in the sport so clearly I owe him
|
hillbilly
7/22/2015 4:46am
Running up front is about it there.

I'd be practicing starts right now,everyday.

Good technique starts,
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
7/22/2015 6:08am
I am not sure what the best way for a little kid to get sponsors is ? I can only speek for myself and that is to just be yourself . I don't think walking around handing out resumes would be the best plan of attack . You have to remember every single kid or person there is trying to do the same thing as you . What sets you apart ? What can you bring to the table for these potential sponsors ? How is little Timmy going to bring a return on the investment for the sponsors ? Think outside of the box . With that said most of the reps will be at LL. And a lot of them bbq for there riders and stuff at nite. I would try and firm
Up his current support for next year and then talk to the people you think would benefit your program. .
pete24
7/22/2015 6:28am
get that kid out of school he is going to be a PRO
buy him maybe ten bikes
send them all out to get every pissed out part there is
give a trainer 60k a year to make him faster

then teach him to say " would you like fries with your order today"
Nbonney54
7/22/2015 6:43am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2015 6:54am
Thanks for the serious answers guys. And yea I expected someone to have a smart ass one. No one ever said he's gonna do this for a living. More talking just the small time type deals that assist in getting costs down slightly.
I wasn't thinking about just handing out resumes more just have them in the backpack just incase someone saw him then we happened to talk to them and they asked if he could back up his results type deal.
But thanks guys hopefully he can rip another holeshotted this year, having your name said on the online broadcast is always a bonus.

The Shop

hillbilly
7/22/2015 6:58am
Trying to talk to someone with no results would be useless,if he podiums a moto,then go brag.

They put up with so many wankers there they have to be tired of it by midweek.
Question
7/22/2015 7:03am

It is like racing, the key is to start, so you should ask for some good discounts, -45%/50% on everything, 80% on lubs and 17% on bikes. You will bring on board a few partners. You can do it for a couple seasons, then, if results are solid, you should be able to get some free equipments & 1 bike lend for 1 bike bought. That way you can attract some very good brands for the long term, but if they do not support much after a few seasons whereas the results are good you can still leverage the fact you were supported by them to one of their competitors who may be interested to give much more.

The start is telemarketing/email asking for the contact who manages sponsoring, if you make a team with another young hope it is much better for credibility/exposure insurance since injuries happen during a season. Ask if they are going to LL and if they are interested by a 5 minutes meeting. If they are not coming, everything can be dealt over the phone, after you have sent them a nice little brochure with great pictures.

Then if you get sponsors, a key is to give them an update frequently, not once a week but at least once per term. If a relationship is going very well you can even mention that to a prospect who is almost ready to sign, like "hey, contact him, at xxx, he knows the kid and us, he will tell you we are good for your brand".

Nbonney54
7/22/2015 7:08am
Question wrote:
It is like racing, the key is to start, so you should ask for some good discounts, -45%/50% on everything, 80% on lubs and 17% on...

It is like racing, the key is to start, so you should ask for some good discounts, -45%/50% on everything, 80% on lubs and 17% on bikes. You will bring on board a few partners. You can do it for a couple seasons, then, if results are solid, you should be able to get some free equipments & 1 bike lend for 1 bike bought. That way you can attract some very good brands for the long term, but if they do not support much after a few seasons whereas the results are good you can still leverage the fact you were supported by them to one of their competitors who may be interested to give much more.

The start is telemarketing/email asking for the contact who manages sponsoring, if you make a team with another young hope it is much better for credibility/exposure insurance since injuries happen during a season. Ask if they are going to LL and if they are interested by a 5 minutes meeting. If they are not coming, everything can be dealt over the phone, after you have sent them a nice little brochure with great pictures.

Then if you get sponsors, a key is to give them an update frequently, not once a week but at least once per term. If a relationship is going very well you can even mention that to a prospect who is almost ready to sign, like "hey, contact him, at xxx, he knows the kid and us, he will tell you we are good for your brand".

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for!
I was slightly involved in the college level baseball with my brother and what you just said sounds very similar to how that works so I get the bases. Thank you again
clmartin22
7/22/2015 7:36am
There are a lot of amateur teams out there that take resumes starting after Loretta's. I know several will be at Loretta's and watching riders. Check out http://www.teamsakairacing.com, I know they will be taking in some new riders this fall, they have been a huge help for us.

Hookit.com and MXSponsor.com are two great platforms for getting individual sponsorships. Enjoy the week at the Ranch, can't wait to get back up there myself.
mx965
7/22/2015 7:40am
pete24 wrote:
get that kid out of school he is going to be a PRO buy him maybe ten bikes send them all out to get every pissed...
get that kid out of school he is going to be a PRO
buy him maybe ten bikes
send them all out to get every pissed out part there is
give a trainer 60k a year to make him faster

then teach him to say " would you like fries with your order today"
5% of people in this case. Fucking dickweed
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
7/22/2015 7:56am
Nbonney54 wrote:
I lurk here and don't post much. I'll be going to LL flr the first time, only as a mechanic. The kid im going with places...
I lurk here and don't post much. I'll be going to LL flr the first time, only as a mechanic. The kid im going with places 10th OA in his class last year and has now bumped up ( little bikes 50s to 65s)
Any tips on meeting people and getting his name out there?
I've learned some stuff with my little brother from his baseball scholarships and how he has to get his name to the right people, video of games, hand shakes and hellos to the scouts etc
Does this stuff apply in Moto as well? Go around to some of the support rigs ask around talk to a few people introduce him, carry around a resume of racing type deal?
Or would that be a waste of time? Kid is extremely polite and well spoken, makes friends where ever he goes and clearly has some speed.
Any help would be appreciated, or tear me apart for sounding dumb, that's cool too. Just wanna help him out of I get the chance because he works his little butt off. Still in public school and spends every minute outside it riding. Plus he is what got me involved in the sport so clearly I owe him
May have already done this but get a hook it account if you don't have one already.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
7/22/2015 8:42am
Many brands go to Loretta's every year with two goals, support their current riders with their needs at the event, and build relationships to bring on new riders. The better sponsorships take a combination of relationships, results, and presentation (how well you can represent and sell the product).

A resume at Loretta's isn't how I would handle it. I would instead stop by, have the rider introduce him or herself, meet the person who deals with rider support (they will be there for most companies) and put a face with a name. A brief history of where you are from and what you have accomplished is fine, but remember you are surrounded by a ton of great riders at Loretta's who all have some great credentials. The most important part is laying the groundwork so that after Loretta's you can follow up with this person and get a deal put together and you are more than just a piece of paper on their desk.

Most companies will offer you some sort of deal for the week or let you know they will give you some help for the following year if they are at Loretta's and you are racing there because it is an accomplishment to qualify. Let the companies know your riders number and classes and thank them for the time. It is also okay to stop back a couple of times throughout the week to continue to get familiar with what is going on.

Definitely come by the Race Tech truck and introduce yourself. We're always willing to give the suspension a look (set sag, check clickers, do any clicker adjustments based on feedback) for any riders there free of charge. It is a good chance to not only get a baseline of where you are at but also gives us time to begin to build a relationship.

Good luck and enjoy the week! I hope to see you there.
Nbonney54
7/22/2015 9:03am
Thanks again guys! This is all super useful information for me, and others im sure. Im really looking forward to the week down there and im hoping this kid can do good again and further himself in Moto.
TeamGreen
7/22/2015 9:03am
Results will do all the talkng for you.

Post a reply to: Helping a child for sponsorship at LL?

The Latest