Help w Honda AirForks. What to change?

I only have about a couple hours on my 2016 CRF250R. I setup the initial setup from MXAs recommended setting and its not bad so far, except the fork is INCREDIBLY HARSH on small bumps. Im talking 3-4 inch chatter bumps just from track prep with a tractor 3 pt disc make the front REALLY harsh and feels like the fork isn't doing anything at all.

What do I need to do? (Ive already been told buy a Yamaha, scrap the forks, grow a pair, etc..)
I just want to know what to adjust to make this a little better.
Thanks
|
4/15/2017 8:51pm
I have a 15 crf250 and I had the same issues. Sent it to factory connection.. still felt like garbage. Get yourself that race tech spring conversion, find some spring forks or in my honest opinion get a different bike. I can't wait to sell mine, it's on Craigslist as we speak.
mxdevon
4/15/2017 9:25pm
I would be glad to offer some advice. I have a been able to find a good setup with the tac fork on a 16 Honda. It might take a minute and some patience but don't lose hope, they can be very good. But first let's start with what is your weight and what exactly are you currently running for pressures? Inner? Outer? And balance chamber?
Let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
Ing
4/16/2017 12:02am
Change brands.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
4/16/2017 5:55am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 5:59am
use MXA settings as a baseline but check and set the pressure immediately after a moto. The pressure will change after riding.

The Shop

usafwx
4/16/2017 6:43am
mxdevon wrote:
I would be glad to offer some advice. I have a been able to find a good setup with the tac fork on a 16 Honda...
I would be glad to offer some advice. I have a been able to find a good setup with the tac fork on a 16 Honda. It might take a minute and some patience but don't lose hope, they can be very good. But first let's start with what is your weight and what exactly are you currently running for pressures? Inner? Outer? And balance chamber?
Let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.
I'm in the same boat actually started another thread a few days ago about my 16 250r. Mind helping me out? I'm 5'11 152 lbs c novice rider. Was gonna start with 149 for inner and balance and 10 on outer for softer but clueless on clickers. Thanks in advance.
usafwx
4/16/2017 6:44am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 6:51am
I only have about a couple hours on my 2016 CRF250R. I setup the initial setup from MXAs recommended setting and its not bad so far...
I only have about a couple hours on my 2016 CRF250R. I setup the initial setup from MXAs recommended setting and its not bad so far, except the fork is INCREDIBLY HARSH on small bumps. Im talking 3-4 inch chatter bumps just from track prep with a tractor 3 pt disc make the front REALLY harsh and feels like the fork isn't doing anything at all.

What do I need to do? (Ive already been told buy a Yamaha, scrap the forks, grow a pair, etc..)
I just want to know what to adjust to make this a little better.
Thanks
Haha I just sold my yz and grabbed a 16 as well. Posted a few days ago about this as well. The people that say get a Yamaha are silly sure the suspension is amazing but the bike has other downfalls I've had a 14 and 16 yz250f. Before the AER48 forks these were agreed to be the best stock air forks.
Tracktor
4/16/2017 7:28am
Same issue on my 15 crf450. Bolted on spring forks problem solved...
usafwx
4/16/2017 7:32am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 7:35am
Tracktor wrote:
Did you do the conversion or buy older forks? All the reviews from 14-15 for the CRF250R actually prefer the showa air fork over the 14 spring fork.
Tracktor
4/16/2017 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 7:46am
Tracktor wrote:
usafwx wrote:
Did you do the conversion or buy older forks? All the reviews from 14-15 for the CRF250R actually prefer the showa air fork over the 14...
Did you do the conversion or buy older forks? All the reviews from 14-15 for the CRF250R actually prefer the showa air fork over the 14 spring fork.
2012 crf450 sprink forks. Work night and day better. Not to say air forks cant be set up i just didn't have the patience. I have two boys racing so my bike comes last! I needed set & forget. Plus i found a set for $500 valved and sprung specifically for me.
usafwx
4/16/2017 7:50am
Tracktor wrote:
2012 crf450 sprink forks. Work night and day better. Not to say air forks cant be set up i just didn't have the patience. I have...
2012 crf450 sprink forks. Work night and day better. Not to say air forks cant be set up i just didn't have the patience. I have two boys racing so my bike comes last! I needed set & forget. Plus i found a set for $500 valved and sprung specifically for me.
Cool man. Understand. I think that's the biggest issues with Air Forks is they take effort to set up and then continued checking throughout the day to maintain performance, and most guys don't want to or have the time to.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/16/2017 8:09am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 8:09am
I put 2012 crf250 spring forks on my 15 crf450. Windham said they were his favorite production forks and they are awesome. Night and day better than the air.
usafwx
4/16/2017 8:22am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2017 8:22am
FLmxer wrote:
I put 2012 crf250 spring forks on my 15 crf450. Windham said they were his favorite production forks and they are awesome. Night and day better...
I put 2012 crf250 spring forks on my 15 crf450. Windham said they were his favorite production forks and they are awesome. Night and day better than the air.
I wonder if those will fit my 16 crf250r
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
4/16/2017 8:26am
FLmxer wrote:
I put 2012 crf250 spring forks on my 15 crf450. Windham said they were his favorite production forks and they are awesome. Night and day better...
usafwx wrote:
I wonder if those will fit my 16 crf250r
I searched thumpertalk for all the tech help.
mxdevon
4/16/2017 8:50am
usafwx wrote:
I'm in the same boat actually started another thread a few days ago about my 16 250r. Mind helping me out? I'm 5'11 152 lbs c...
I'm in the same boat actually started another thread a few days ago about my 16 250r. Mind helping me out? I'm 5'11 152 lbs c novice rider. Was gonna start with 149 for inner and balance and 10 on outer for softer but clueless on clickers. Thanks in advance.
Ok usa. Here's a few suggestions.
#1. You won't get your best performance with the balance chamber and the inner chamber at the same pressure setting. I know that a lot of recommended settings out there and even the sff air app from Showa often recommend this but I never got really comfortable while doing it. I have run the balance chamber between 0-10 psi higher than the inner with my favorite and most consistent setting being 7 psi higher. So for your example of 149 inner psi try running 156 psi in the balance chamber.
#2. I've found that being on the low end of of suggested spring rates meaning (inner chamber) pressure is beneficial with these forks. I'm quite a bit heavier than you and have run between 154 to 162 inner chamber psi, my favorite set it and forget it rate is 156psi. This would be much lower than many experts would recommend for my weight but it works. The only time I've bottomed out was when I would have bottomed any fork out, OJ ing a big jump at the track. So in your example maybe try 146 inner chamber psi.
#3. Use the outer chamber for bottoming resistance when using a lower inner chamber psi. I've tried between 0-15 psi outer. This can greatly affect bottoming resistance with little effect elsewhere unless you start going over 15psi. I like 11-13psi depending on my inner psi. My favorite is 13. Just treat raising or lowering the psi in the outer chamber just like oil level.
* in recap start with a setting of 146 inner 13 outer and 153 balance chamber psi and let us know how that works. As far as clickers now start with mxa or pingree settings and slowly adjust for your taste (one click at a time).

I know that was long winded but I hope it helps.....took me some time to test, but now I honestly don't think about the forks anymore, I'm happy with them, and I'm picky too. Take it for what's it's worth. I may be crazy or just dumb. If you don't have time or patience do a RT spring conversion and live happily ever after. Have fun!
usafwx
4/16/2017 9:05am
mxdevon wrote:
Ok usa. Here's a few suggestions. #1. You won't get your best performance with the balance chamber and the inner chamber at the same pressure setting...
Ok usa. Here's a few suggestions.
#1. You won't get your best performance with the balance chamber and the inner chamber at the same pressure setting. I know that a lot of recommended settings out there and even the sff air app from Showa often recommend this but I never got really comfortable while doing it. I have run the balance chamber between 0-10 psi higher than the inner with my favorite and most consistent setting being 7 psi higher. So for your example of 149 inner psi try running 156 psi in the balance chamber.
#2. I've found that being on the low end of of suggested spring rates meaning (inner chamber) pressure is beneficial with these forks. I'm quite a bit heavier than you and have run between 154 to 162 inner chamber psi, my favorite set it and forget it rate is 156psi. This would be much lower than many experts would recommend for my weight but it works. The only time I've bottomed out was when I would have bottomed any fork out, OJ ing a big jump at the track. So in your example maybe try 146 inner chamber psi.
#3. Use the outer chamber for bottoming resistance when using a lower inner chamber psi. I've tried between 0-15 psi outer. This can greatly affect bottoming resistance with little effect elsewhere unless you start going over 15psi. I like 11-13psi depending on my inner psi. My favorite is 13. Just treat raising or lowering the psi in the outer chamber just like oil level.
* in recap start with a setting of 146 inner 13 outer and 153 balance chamber psi and let us know how that works. As far as clickers now start with mxa or pingree settings and slowly adjust for your taste (one click at a time).

I know that was long winded but I hope it helps.....took me some time to test, but now I honestly don't think about the forks anymore, I'm happy with them, and I'm picky too. Take it for what's it's worth. I may be crazy or just dumb. If you don't have time or patience do a RT spring conversion and live happily ever after. Have fun!
Mxdevon! Thanks man. I was gonna start with the Honda recommended softer setting and go from there as you alluded to. I also heard too many focus on pressure when they should adjust pressure for your weight/skill and then focus on the clickers. It's funny you mention ping's settings, his recommended clicker settings are almost exactly Honda's stock settings in the manual, lol. I downloaded the Showa App so will definitely stick your settings in my B option and try them out. I REALLY APPRECIATE the help, really can't justify dropping the money into a conversion, hoping I can get them dialed in myself pretty good. I'm a novice weekend warrior, so I don't need them perfect, just not squirrely and forgiving. I did read a lot as you mentioned about guys going higher on the balance chamber as you mentioned, wonder why Honda recommends keeping them the same. Thanks again man, happy easter and beer on me if your in NJ anytime soon or AZ after May.
mxdevon
4/16/2017 9:27am
usafwx wrote:
Mxdevon! Thanks man. I was gonna start with the Honda recommended softer setting and go from there as you alluded to. I also heard too many...
Mxdevon! Thanks man. I was gonna start with the Honda recommended softer setting and go from there as you alluded to. I also heard too many focus on pressure when they should adjust pressure for your weight/skill and then focus on the clickers. It's funny you mention ping's settings, his recommended clicker settings are almost exactly Honda's stock settings in the manual, lol. I downloaded the Showa App so will definitely stick your settings in my B option and try them out. I REALLY APPRECIATE the help, really can't justify dropping the money into a conversion, hoping I can get them dialed in myself pretty good. I'm a novice weekend warrior, so I don't need them perfect, just not squirrely and forgiving. I did read a lot as you mentioned about guys going higher on the balance chamber as you mentioned, wonder why Honda recommends keeping them the same. Thanks again man, happy easter and beer on me if your in NJ anytime soon or AZ after May.
Glad I could help....I never turn down a cold beer, which is no doubt partially responsible for my need for a higher inner chamber psi....HA.
Seriously though if you need any more guidance let me know. At some point I'll count my clickers to see where I've gotten. But most importantly, after you try those settings report Back and let us know if they worked so more guys could find a good base setup. I'm hoping some of the starting points I learned can help guys out.
Ride fast and take chances!
usafwx
4/16/2017 9:31am
mxdevon wrote:
Glad I could help....I never turn down a cold beer, which is no doubt partially responsible for my need for a higher inner chamber psi....HA. Seriously...
Glad I could help....I never turn down a cold beer, which is no doubt partially responsible for my need for a higher inner chamber psi....HA.
Seriously though if you need any more guidance let me know. At some point I'll count my clickers to see where I've gotten. But most importantly, after you try those settings report Back and let us know if they worked so more guys could find a good base setup. I'm hoping some of the starting points I learned can help guys out.
Ride fast and take chances!
If I didnt have a yearly PT test (active duty) I'd be right there with ya lol. But truly thank you. First set of air forks and first time trying to mess with clickers myself so it has seemed overwhelming. I'll be taking her out next weekend so will definitely report back and let you know my thoughts. Think I'm more nervous about the clickers as Im no where near the skill level to notice where to adjust besides the obvious kick off a jump or bottoming out, etc. Thanks again and talk soon! Happy Easter.
tempura
4/16/2017 5:54pm
They don't quite work like spring forks, but aren't that bad.
What I dislike, and has me thinking about swapping to spring forks, is the constant changing and adjusting.
Yesterday I set up in the morning. A couple of hours later I noticed they felt stiff. I checked the pressures, and the inner was up 3psi and the balance was down 7psi.
You can't just set and forget these forks.
delonick347
4/17/2017 6:32am
+1 for Race Tech Spring Conversion. Like their motto says, "The best you've ridden, is the best you know" (or whatever). I have a few rides on fresh suspension with a drop in spring and retrospectively, the air forks were complete shit for me. I too struggled with the initial stoke harshness like the OP. I tried everything from dropping air pressures, increasing air pressures, testing the curve with the Showa app, backing out clickers, etc. The problem you may run into when desperately trying to soften up the initial stroke is that you may be dropping the ride height in the forks, thus always riding in the harsher part of the stroke, especially when braking and entering chop. You need some stiffness in the first part of the stroke to hold the bike up. The air fork, due to what I believe can be attributed to stiction, is not linear or progressive and this is what I was missing and definitely felt it on the track. Plain and simple, I've been riding mx since 1994 and this feels like "home". I wish I would have done it sooner.
4/18/2017 6:30am
So Ive read through these and made some changes yesterday. First once I dropped the inner and balance chamber pressures from what MXA suggested the forks actually started to move....

Im about 200 lbs right now, I have no idea why the forks were so stiff at 156 ish psi. They barely even moved in the garage holding the brake and rocking the bike. I dropped the pressures to 145 in inner and balance, and somehow the balance was waay low from when I set it up originally. Not even in the ballpark of 156 anymore. The outer was much higher than the 12 psi I left it at. So, they felt stiff as heck but none of the pressure were really where I left them anyway.
I have the fox digital and the works connection zero loss adapter. So far, after only a couple adjustments, this is not very consistent.

What would you guys suggest for a 200 lb 35+ rider. Intermediate rider.
4/18/2017 6:31am
If I could get a decent price on the conversion id already be all over it.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/18/2017 7:16am
Shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com on a deal for the Spring Conversion. We do offer a VitalMX member discount.

If you want to try a bit more with the air setup first, here are a few things to look for:

1) Make sure the forks are aligned parallel. If not, they can create additional harshness and stiction. Here is a guide to ensure they are parallel.

2) Make sure you are filling the air chambers in the proper order. Also make sure you drain the balance chamber then pressurize inner, outer, balance in that order.

3) Here is the Race Tech recommended starting point for pressures:

Riding Type: Motocross
Skill Level: Intermediate/B Class
Height: Standard Height
Gas Tank: Standard Gas Tank
Spring Conversion: No Spring Conversion

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate:
Inner 175.6 psi, Outer 16.1 psi, Balance 191.7 psi

A good rule of thumb is inner+outer=balance

As delonick said above, try and understand what dropping your pressures down will do. While it will make the air spring softer, it will cause you to go through the stroke faster reaching the harsher/stiffer part of the valving sooner. When tuning with air forks, often times guys are too reliant on messing with air pressures versus clickers. Treat your air spring similar to a coil spring. Once you put it to the recommended rate, you didn't tune with spring rate previously, so put where it is recommended and then play with clickers.

Ultimately, there are some characteristics of an air fork that you will either learn to deal with or hate. That will make the decision of whether or not to go with a spring conversion. The amount of times that we have had guys who thought they were okay with their air fork put on a Spring Conversion and then realize how much they were missing out on is astonishing.

Hopefully that helps lead you in the right direction.
Moto520
4/18/2017 7:44am
FLmxer wrote:
I did the same thing except with 2013 CRF250R spring forks and have been very happy. It was $1100 for the forks brand new off of a leftover bike but I was able to sell the air forks and get some of my money back.
4/18/2017 9:00am
Shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com on a deal for the Spring Conversion. We do offer a VitalMX member discount. If you want to try a...
Shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com on a deal for the Spring Conversion. We do offer a VitalMX member discount.

If you want to try a bit more with the air setup first, here are a few things to look for:

1) Make sure the forks are aligned parallel. If not, they can create additional harshness and stiction. Here is a guide to ensure they are parallel.

2) Make sure you are filling the air chambers in the proper order. Also make sure you drain the balance chamber then pressurize inner, outer, balance in that order.

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

As delonick said above, try and understand what dropping your pressures down will do. While it will make the air spring softer, it will cause you to go through the stroke faster reaching the harsher/stiffer part of the valving sooner. When tuning with air forks, often times guys are too reliant on messing with air pressures versus clickers. Treat your air spring similar to a coil spring. Once you put it to the recommended rate, you didn't tune with spring rate previously, so put where it is recommended and then play with clickers.

Ultimately, there are some characteristics of an air fork that you will either learn to deal with or hate. That will make the decision of whether or not to go with a spring conversion. The amount of times that we have had guys who thought they were okay with their air fork put on a Spring Conversion and then realize how much they were missing out on is astonishing.

Thanks for the links I will check those out after work. I really only dropped down because I needed to make sure I was feeling the drop in pressure, something wasn't right at 156 but clearly the pressures in all 3 weren't how I left/intended them to be.

My little practice track is mostly 2-3 gear with smaller jumps but has a few rough or flat landings included.

Ill bump them up to what you said and se where that gets me and then decide.
Thanks!

4/19/2017 2:17pm
I just cheked pressures. It's been 2 days. Only 5 mins of riding. Balance chamber went from 156 to 18. I pumped it back to 156, unhooked the adapter, rechecked again and it lost 6 psi. That's understandable. Why is my balance chamber loosing so much over time from 156 doen to 18. Bike has 1.9 hrs total.
tempura
4/19/2017 5:04pm
It seems that the pattern of these forks are, psi is lost from the balance, while its increased in the inner. That equates to a harsher fork over time.
I'm not sure why you lost so much in the balance chamber, that seems unusual.
What I do know is, these forks need constant attention to keep them at the preferred psi.
4/20/2017 6:56am
tempura wrote:
It seems that the pattern of these forks are, psi is lost from the balance, while its increased in the inner. That equates to a harsher...
It seems that the pattern of these forks are, psi is lost from the balance, while its increased in the inner. That equates to a harsher fork over time.
I'm not sure why you lost so much in the balance chamber, that seems unusual.
What I do know is, these forks need constant attention to keep them at the preferred psi.
Thanks for the info. Id like to know more about what chambers will create what feel, similar to the example you gave.

Anyone have any additional info on this or a schematic of the internal chambers?
usafwx
4/20/2017 9:05am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2017 9:06am
Shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com on a deal for the Spring Conversion. We do offer a VitalMX member discount. If you want to try a...

FRONT FORK SPRINGS

Hey Chris hate to be a nag and am seriously about to pull the trigger on your spring conversion just wanted to try adjusting myself at first, do you mind sharing what race tech would recommend for settings for a 153lb, 5'11, c rider/novice for this bike? Thanks in advance.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/20/2017 2:21pm
usafwx wrote:
Hey Chris hate to be a nag and am seriously about to pull the trigger on your spring conversion just wanted to try adjusting myself at...
Hey Chris hate to be a nag and am seriously about to pull the trigger on your spring conversion just wanted to try adjusting myself at first, do you mind sharing what race tech would recommend for settings for a 153lb, 5'11, c rider/novice for this bike? Thanks in advance.
No worries at all. Happy to help try this before you spend your money. Our goal is to get you happy with your suspension, and some guys are happy with airforks.

For anyone else reading as well, you can always find recommended pressures using the spring rate calculator on our website, select your Make/Model/Year on the Spring Rate Search page and at the top click the "Calculate Spring Rates and Display Available Springs" at the top of the page.

Modifiers:
Skill Level: Novice/C Class

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: Inner 160.5 psi, Outer 12.4 psi, Balance 172.9 psi (use closest available)

usafwx
4/20/2017 2:30pm
No worries at all. Happy to help try this before you spend your money. Our goal is to get you happy with your suspension, and some...
No worries at all. Happy to help try this before you spend your money. Our goal is to get you happy with your suspension, and some guys are happy with airforks.

For anyone else reading as well, you can always find recommended pressures using the spring rate calculator on our website, select your Make/Model/Year on the Spring Rate Search page and at the top click the "Calculate Spring Rates and Display Available Springs" at the top of the page.

Modifiers:
Skill Level: Novice/C Class

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: Inner 160.5 psi, Outer 12.4 psi, Balance 172.9 psi (use closest available)

Thanks so much Chris! I have to ask the settings you gave me would indicate a stiffer suspension according to the manual/Honda, figured a newb light guy would want them a bit softer. Not that I know, you guys are the expert. Thanks again.

Post a reply to: Help w Honda AirForks. What to change?

The Latest