Help me pick a 450!

stone881
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2014 9:24am
I need some help choosing a new 450 and would love to get the opinion of people who have ridden the 15's. I am a 30+ a/b rider, depending on the state. But now I live in Colombia and don't have the chance to test out any bikes.

I decided to switch back to a 450 from a YZ 250 smoker, mostly because I want a change. So I am trying to decide between the Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki and would love to know what people who have some seat time think. Thanks!
|
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
12/26/2014 6:47pm
pick a color.
Seriously though... they all have great and weak points. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
If your used to Yamaha handling and suspension, go with the YZ. If you want to be able to turn under any other bike, get a Suzuki, but don't expect it to have the high speed manners of the KX or YZ. If you want the best powerband, go with the KX, but don't expect to be able to turn under any other bike in a turn. The Honda does everything pretty good, but don't expect to pull the holeshot on any other brands. The KTM is fast and handles good, but its suspension is still holding it back IMO.
It all depends on what part of a bike is more important to you and your riding style.

A good local dealer that stocks parts should be a good way to make a decision.
TeamGreen
12/26/2014 7:11pm
In Colombia I'd buy whichever brand has the best parts availability.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/27/2014 4:21am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2014 4:22am
So how's the drug trade going?!,

Ok, seriously.... I can't really speak from experience, but my brother is a damn fast B rider (top 15 at Loretta's) and has gone from '11 Honda, to a '13 RMZ, and now has a '15 YZF. He said the Yamaha is so far and away better than his RMZ it's scary. The SSS forks rock, has great stock power, and fits his 6'3" frame better than other bikes.

The Shop

tomm55x
12/27/2014 5:35am
Yamaha is a proven bike, good reliability, available parts that are reasonable and good power, great suspension. I went with a friend recently to pick up his new 2015 crf450 and to my surprise it doesn't come with an air pump for the front forks and the dealer didn't stock one. My point is why would they sell a 8500.00 motorcycle and not supply a simple tool that is very necessary to ride it, that didn't make sense to me at all, and furthermore why wouldn't the dealer stock said tool? I was kinda let down for my bud.
TanHner36
12/27/2014 5:49am
I'm a Honda guy myself. But if you're buying new and you're at least an A/B rider I'd have to say go with the Yamaha. They had that recall on the chains but other than that they have done the most work to improve the bike.
Highsider
12/27/2014 6:00am
Yamaha just because of the superior (no screwing with) suspension.

Oh, they are very reliable.
stone881
12/27/2014 6:13am
MxKing809 wrote:
So how's the drug trade going?!, Ok, seriously.... I can't really speak from experience, but my brother is a damn fast B rider (top 15 at...
So how's the drug trade going?!,

Ok, seriously.... I can't really speak from experience, but my brother is a damn fast B rider (top 15 at Loretta's) and has gone from '11 Honda, to a '13 RMZ, and now has a '15 YZF. He said the Yamaha is so far and away better than his RMZ it's scary. The SSS forks rock, has great stock power, and fits his 6'3" frame better than other bikes.
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks. Of course I am familiar with the SSS and the fact that I won't need to send it off for revalve out of the box has me leaning that way.

In regard to the drug trade, it has pretty well moved on to other parts of Latin America. If you have never been to Colombia, you should, but I recommend leaving the wife/girlfriend at home! I am actually working on a project in the coming months to develop an MX destination resort. Think about a ski/golf resort, but for moto, where all you need to do is show up with your gear bag and ride.
stone881
12/27/2014 6:14am
Yamaha seems to be the consensus, thanks for the replies!
luke99
12/27/2014 6:15am
tomm55x wrote:
Yamaha is a proven bike, good reliability, available parts that are reasonable and good power, great suspension. I went with a friend recently to pick up...
Yamaha is a proven bike, good reliability, available parts that are reasonable and good power, great suspension. I went with a friend recently to pick up his new 2015 crf450 and to my surprise it doesn't come with an air pump for the front forks and the dealer didn't stock one. My point is why would they sell a 8500.00 motorcycle and not supply a simple tool that is very necessary to ride it, that didn't make sense to me at all, and furthermore why wouldn't the dealer stock said tool? I was kinda let down for my bud.
How does he put air in his tyres?

Or is it a completely different air pump?

I don't have air forks, I only have 2 strokes too lol
Holigan
12/27/2014 6:28am
stone881 wrote:
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks. Of course I am familiar with the SSS and the fact that I won't need to...
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for, thanks. Of course I am familiar with the SSS and the fact that I won't need to send it off for revalve out of the box has me leaning that way.

In regard to the drug trade, it has pretty well moved on to other parts of Latin America. If you have never been to Colombia, you should, but I recommend leaving the wife/girlfriend at home! I am actually working on a project in the coming months to develop an MX destination resort. Think about a ski/golf resort, but for moto, where all you need to do is show up with your gear bag and ride.
Sign me up. I love Colombia. Spent two and a half weeks driving around the country and enjoyed every minute. I would love to spend a week riding through the mountains there.

And you're right about the women. My wife is from Venezuela but was born in Colombia.

BobPA
12/27/2014 6:31am
It's funny how people are saying the Yamaha, that would be my last choice by miles (kilometers in your case). Their 450 felt like I was riding a boat anchor. Descent engine though...the ergos are just terrible IMO.

The Honda was ok, I really did not like the vague feeling in the forks, but it was also not set up for me. It seems to ride very front end low...plus it is gutless.

The kawasaki and Suzuki I thought were the best in stock form, maybe slight edge to the kawi. The Suzuki may turn a little better but I have always found Suzukis to be a bit nervous, both low and high speed.

I own a KTM so I adapted quick and felt very comfortable on the stock, except you will need to get the forks set up. They are harsh out of the box, no way around it. The electric start is the best thing since sliced bread. I cannot tell you about the new 2015FE/2016 redesigns though, they may be a game changer...or they may pull a yamaha and wildly miss the mark.
walent215
12/27/2014 6:42am
tomm55x wrote:
Yamaha is a proven bike, good reliability, available parts that are reasonable and good power, great suspension. I went with a friend recently to pick up...
Same scenario when I bought my sons 15 crf250...then I let him hose me for $100 on one...lol...bad on me tho....
walent215
12/27/2014 6:47am
BobPA wrote:
It's funny how people are saying the Yamaha, that would be my last choice by miles (kilometers in your case). Their 450 felt like I was...
It's funny how people are saying the Yamaha, that would be my last choice by miles (kilometers in your case). Their 450 felt like I was riding a boat anchor. Descent engine though...the ergos are just terrible IMO.

The Honda was ok, I really did not like the vague feeling in the forks, but it was also not set up for me. It seems to ride very front end low...plus it is gutless.

The kawasaki and Suzuki I thought were the best in stock form, maybe slight edge to the kawi. The Suzuki may turn a little better but I have always found Suzukis to be a bit nervous, both low and high speed.

I own a KTM so I adapted quick and felt very comfortable on the stock, except you will need to get the forks set up. They are harsh out of the box, no way around it. The electric start is the best thing since sliced bread. I cannot tell you about the new 2015FE/2016 redesigns though, they may be a game changer...or they may pull a yamaha and wildly miss the mark.
I don't really care for the Yamaha either...had a 2010 and it was like nothing I've ever rode....awesome suspension but cornered like a log truck....I'm sure everyone is gonna say the 15 is way better but whatever... Same frame with different mounts blah blah blah.... Anyway...if you are used to the Yamaha get that....a lot of great attributes to it regardless of my opinion of the way it corners.
stone881
12/27/2014 6:53am
walent215 wrote:
I don't really care for the Yamaha either...had a 2010 and it was like nothing I've ever rode....awesome suspension but cornered like a log truck....I'm sure...
I don't really care for the Yamaha either...had a 2010 and it was like nothing I've ever rode....awesome suspension but cornered like a log truck....I'm sure everyone is gonna say the 15 is way better but whatever... Same frame with different mounts blah blah blah.... Anyway...if you are used to the Yamaha get that....a lot of great attributes to it regardless of my opinion of the way it corners.
I have never owned a YZ 450, only 250 2 strokes, but I did have a CR 450 that I loved. And coming off of a 2 stroke I definitely don't want something that doesn't turns like a logging truck!
ktm212
12/27/2014 6:57am
BobPA wrote:
It's funny how people are saying the Yamaha, that would be my last choice by miles (kilometers in your case). Their 450 felt like I was...

X2

I ride Kawis and its boat but that Yamaha felt like the actual boat anchor. Too abrupt off the bottom causes it to turn poorly, stand up in corners, chasing the front wheel into corners, and move around alot on exit. Suspension was plush but nothing awesome, just good stock but how many people here actually ride stock suspension? The RMz gear box felt really gappy to me and didn't have the strong power like kx, yz, sx. The Honda feels weird to me, bars were tall, seat was low but it could have just been the kids bike I rode because I liked a bone stock 250 other then both bikes being painfully under powered. The KTM holds a rut the best and that's just a fact, flat corners better then anything but can be a little foreign to some people and some people think it vibrates too much but I never noticed, great power though and a great turning bike. If it were me I'd go Green or Orange, then Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha. But in a different country just go with the bike that has the best dealer network and parts supply.
tomm55x
12/27/2014 7:05am
tomm55x wrote:
luke99 wrote:
How does he put air in his tyres? Or is it a completely different air pump? I don't have air forks, I only have 2 strokes...
How does he put air in his tyres?

Or is it a completely different air pump?

I don't have air forks, I only have 2 strokes too lol
With an air compressor lol, u have to have a low reading pump that doesn't lose air when u hook and unhook it. Most of the fork pumps are hand operated that read air pressure while u increase or decrease pressure.
tomm55x
12/27/2014 7:08am
walent215 wrote:
Same scenario when I bought my sons 15 crf250...then I let him hose me for $100 on one...lol...bad on me tho....
Yea I don't get it, they should come with something even if it's a cheap one so u can at least get it close to where you want to be.
walent215
12/27/2014 7:17am
walent215 wrote:
tomm55x wrote:
Yea I don't get it, they should come with something even if it's a cheap one so u can at least get it close to where...
Yea I don't get it, they should come with something even if it's a cheap one so u can at least get it close to where you want to be.
Agreed....I actually used my mtn bike pump until my works connection one came in....it was on par with the works connection pump....for a lot less money!
crf250pilot
12/27/2014 7:17am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2014 7:20am

Problem solved and it will be worth more than half what you paid for it when you leave the showroom floor unlike a jap bike.
stone881
12/27/2014 7:20am
ktm212 wrote:
X2 I ride Kawis and its boat but that Yamaha felt like the actual boat anchor. Too abrupt off the bottom causes it to turn poorly...
X2

I ride Kawis and its boat but that Yamaha felt like the actual boat anchor. Too abrupt off the bottom causes it to turn poorly, stand up in corners, chasing the front wheel into corners, and move around alot on exit. Suspension was plush but nothing awesome, just good stock but how many people here actually ride stock suspension? The RMz gear box felt really gappy to me and didn't have the strong power like kx, yz, sx. The Honda feels weird to me, bars were tall, seat was low but it could have just been the kids bike I rode because I liked a bone stock 250 other then both bikes being painfully under powered. The KTM holds a rut the best and that's just a fact, flat corners better then anything but can be a little foreign to some people and some people think it vibrates too much but I never noticed, great power though and a great turning bike. If it were me I'd go Green or Orange, then Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha. But in a different country just go with the bike that has the best dealer network and parts supply.
I have definitely been "shopping" for a dealer and Yamaha/KTM seem to be the best. One thing to consider regarding the KTM's is that they only come with the updated suspension in the US market, or if you want a 6 Days bike you can get it. So that and the fact that a 450 costs about 13k here, turns me off.

One other option I have here is a TM MX 300 smoker, which is a damn sexy machine. But I am a pretty sure that nobody on this forum has ridden one, so it's a crap shoot.
walent215
12/27/2014 7:21am
walent215 wrote:
I don't really care for the Yamaha either...had a 2010 and it was like nothing I've ever rode....awesome suspension but cornered like a log truck....I'm sure...
stone881 wrote:
I have never owned a YZ 450, only 250 2 strokes, but I did have a CR 450 that I loved. And coming off of a...
I have never owned a YZ 450, only 250 2 strokes, but I did have a CR 450 that I loved. And coming off of a 2 stroke I definitely don't want something that doesn't turns like a logging truck!
The Yamaha really is a good bike and I see plenty of fast guys going really good on it...but for me and a decent sized population the turning is a HUGE problem for us....if you aren't very agressive in the corners it may be a non issue for you....
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
12/27/2014 7:44am
ktm212 wrote:
X2 I ride Kawis and its boat but that Yamaha felt like the actual boat anchor. Too abrupt off the bottom causes it to turn poorly...
X2

stone881 wrote:
I have definitely been "shopping" for a dealer and Yamaha/KTM seem to be the best. One thing to consider regarding the KTM's is that they only...
I have definitely been "shopping" for a dealer and Yamaha/KTM seem to be the best. One thing to consider regarding the KTM's is that they only come with the updated suspension in the US market, or if you want a 6 Days bike you can get it. So that and the fact that a 450 costs about 13k here, turns me off.

One other option I have here is a TM MX 300 smoker, which is a damn sexy machine. But I am a pretty sure that nobody on this forum has ridden one, so it's a crap shoot.
There are plenty of guys here with TM's. I don't remember who but someone just bought two brand new ones if my memory is correct!
vetmxr
12/27/2014 7:47am
If my dealer after plopping down 9 grand for a motorcycle didn't have and wouldn't discount a vital tool that is needed to ride it, I'd tell him thanks but no thanks and stop payment on the check. I hate dealers that nickel and dime you on everything and avoid them . I also ask before negotiating if there are any extra fees that they will tack on and if there is they can eat them or sell an overpriced machine to someone else. I just picked up a almost brand new 2015 ktm 300 from a rich guy that decided after he bought it that he didn't want it. I paid 2000 less than a new one with no tax and no bullshit. Those are the deals I search out. That bike had maybe an hour on it still had plastic on the seat. Don't let dealers bend you over because your exited and want to ride.....
ktm212
12/27/2014 7:58am
stone881 wrote:
I have definitely been "shopping" for a dealer and Yamaha/KTM seem to be the best. One thing to consider regarding the KTM's is that they only...

I work at a dealer and we sell bikes to guys that ship them out of the country.. we don't do it straight to there but there are guys that do. 13k is big wad of cash for a bike, you could buy one here and have it shipped and cost less I'm sure, of course convenience factor is a big thing but if you're trying to save some money I'd look into that. You'd probably save yourself a few grand and get anything you wanted. Also there's nothing wrong with the 4CS fork, a little harsh stock but once done they are some of the best forks I've ever ridden, plush, compliant, good fork.
Bruce372
12/27/2014 8:03am
whatever do, dont get a suzuki....they are junk, crap bolts, crap clutch, old plastics, heavy, slow and will never go as well in a straight line as a yamaha
BobPA
12/27/2014 8:07am
Bruce372 wrote:
whatever do, dont get a suzuki....they are junk, crap bolts, crap clutch, old plastics, heavy, slow and will never go as well in a straight line...
whatever do, dont get a suzuki....they are junk, crap bolts, crap clutch, old plastics, heavy, slow and will never go as well in a straight line as a yamaha
Straight lines mean nothing is you cant turn that turd.
walent215
12/27/2014 8:11am
Bruce372 wrote:
whatever do, dont get a suzuki....they are junk, crap bolts, crap clutch, old plastics, heavy, slow and will never go as well in a straight line...
haha....good stuff right there...Wink
Forty
12/27/2014 8:19am
stone881 wrote:
I need some help choosing a new 450 and would love to get the opinion of people who have ridden the 15's. I am a 30+...
I need some help choosing a new 450 and would love to get the opinion of people who have ridden the 15's. I am a 30+ a/b rider, depending on the state. But now I live in Colombia and don't have the chance to test out any bikes.

I decided to switch back to a 450 from a YZ 250 smoker, mostly because I want a change. So I am trying to decide between the Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki and would love to know what people who have some seat time think. Thanks!
Shop around for a 13-14 RMZ 450....they are still on the floor and Suzuki is offering great deals on them. Best bike out there for the $.

If $ is no object then pick a color although I'd still consider the 15 RMZ...it is a little older in design however still competes with the new entries.

The KTM 350sx is a great vet bike also.....

Post a reply to: Help me pick a 450!

The Latest