Helmet shelf life?

mxrider28
1/5/2015 8:50am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2015 4:57am
How long will a brand new helmet last on a shelf before it is considered to be unsafe? Need to pick up a new arai and just saw that the vx pro 4 came out so all the vx pro 3 helmets are on sale now. Is it safe to use a helmet that has sat around, never used for a few years?
|
superorbital
1/5/2015 8:52am
They usually have something like an expiration date I think. Mine does. Depending on the material used to make it, it may be five years or something like that.
Spydee
1/5/2015 8:55am
Google is your friend. Read here.

A helmet that was used only a few times and then stored for a long period of time (even if properly stored under good conditions) may experience as much, if not more, interior material deterioration due to the fact that the acids and oils in the sweat that was left behind continue to interact and attack the comfort lining materials, robbing them of moisture and leaving them less resilient and more prone to premature breakdown.

These are the reasons to replace your helmets after five years. Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or it becomes damaged, it should be replaced before the five-year mark.
mxrider28
1/5/2015 9:01am
Spydee wrote:
Google is your friend. Read [url=http://www.araiamericas.com/Arai_Wants.asp?Article=Arai_Wants/howwarrantieswork.asp]here[/url]. [i]A helmet that was used only a few times and then stored for a long period of time (even if...
Google is your friend. Read here.

A helmet that was used only a few times and then stored for a long period of time (even if properly stored under good conditions) may experience as much, if not more, interior material deterioration due to the fact that the acids and oils in the sweat that was left behind continue to interact and attack the comfort lining materials, robbing them of moisture and leaving them less resilient and more prone to premature breakdown.

These are the reasons to replace your helmets after five years. Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or it becomes damaged, it should be replaced before the five-year mark.
Thanks. Im talking about a brand new never used helmet that has sat around in a box for a few years. If that makes a difference.
mxpro252
1/5/2015 9:13am
mxrider28 wrote:
Thanks. Im talking about a brand new never used helmet that has sat around in a box for a few years. If that makes a difference.
I wouldn't count on being brand new or not making much of a difference at the 5 year mark. That amount of time was typically what i heard in the shops i worked at, new or not. And when it comes to my head, I care about it so i wouldnt push it. I'd spend a little more to make sure i can still live and stuff.

The Shop

TailSoHard
1/5/2015 9:29am
I've always been told that UV-light can damage a helmet after awhile even if it hasn't been used. If it has been on a shelf for a couple years, I would maybe pass on it, but if it is sitting in it's original box/bag still, you're probably ok. That being said, I don't want to have it on my conscience if you crack your head open after buying that helmet when I told you it would be ok, so don't listen to me haha.
stonerb
1/5/2015 9:41am
I know that Shoei helmets are warrantied for 7 years from manufacture date, and 5 years from purchase date.
moscrop940
1/5/2015 11:09am
Please remember that the majority of helmets, if not all, have a Styrofoam liner. Styrofoam deteriorates even in under perfect storage conditions. Over a certain period of time. I would say 5 and under you will be fine, anything over that is a question mark I wouldn't want to find the answer to out on the track.

Just my 2 cents
hillbilly
1/5/2015 11:21am
Your sweat will eat thru the rivets holding the straps at some point,saw a guy take a digger one day and loose his lid,rusted off rivet heads.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
1/5/2015 11:56am
I would question whether the helmets being discounted have been sitting around on the shelf for a few years. Just because the design i sold doesn't mean they were manufactured years ago. Date of manufacture would be a good question for the seller.
mx317
1/5/2015 12:34pm
5 years from the time you start wearing them, or 7 years form the manufacture date. Arai has the date on the D-rings when they are made.
Panic_Rev
1/5/2015 12:58pm
I love this thread! My helmet is 5 years so looks like I am in the market. Any reviews on the new Fly F2?

I've been researching MTB helmets lately and MIPS Brain protection system is the new hotness. I noticed Bell, Fox, O'neal, One Industries, and Scott are using this on the MTB helmets. Other than the 6D helmet what brand is making waves in brain protection?
1/5/2015 1:12pm
Panic_Rev wrote:
I love this thread! My helmet is 5 years so looks like I am in the market. Any reviews on the new Fly F2? I've been...
I love this thread! My helmet is 5 years so looks like I am in the market. Any reviews on the new Fly F2?

I've been researching MTB helmets lately and MIPS Brain protection system is the new hotness. I noticed Bell, Fox, O'neal, One Industries, and Scott are using this on the MTB helmets. Other than the 6D helmet what brand is making waves in brain protection?
I like my F2, I bought 2 of them when RockyMountain was blowing them out for $80 each. Fits great, and pros like Canard and Short wear them so they should be ok as far as protection.
Panic_Rev
1/5/2015 1:20pm
Panic_Rev wrote:
I love this thread! My helmet is 5 years so looks like I am in the market. Any reviews on the new Fly F2? I've been...

I like my F2, I bought 2 of them when RockyMountain was blowing them out for $80 each. Fits great, and pros like Canard and Short...
I like my F2, I bought 2 of them when RockyMountain was blowing them out for $80 each. Fits great, and pros like Canard and Short wear them so they should be ok as far as protection.
Thanks for the update. What goggles do you wear and how do they fit? I've been happy with my F2 so far, but before I purchase again I want to make sure it's one of the safest helmets. I wear fly gear and fly helmet only because my local shop carries it in stock so I like to purchase their inventory. I personally believe professionals wear what they wear because of $$$ and not because that given brand is the best protection. So who wears what helmet will not sway my decision.
jock
Fantasy
1st
1/5/2015 1:27pm
I use a TLD, fit is perfect. The only problem I have is my Liquid Image goggles don't fit in the opening. My crowbars fit great.
mxrider28
1/5/2015 2:10pm
Anybody wear a 6d with 100% goggles? How do they fit?
1/5/2015 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2015 2:19pm
Panic_Rev wrote:
Thanks for the update. What goggles do you wear and how do they fit? I've been happy with my F2 so far, but before I purchase...
Thanks for the update. What goggles do you wear and how do they fit? I've been happy with my F2 so far, but before I purchase again I want to make sure it's one of the safest helmets. I wear fly gear and fly helmet only because my local shop carries it in stock so I like to purchase their inventory. I personally believe professionals wear what they wear because of $$$ and not because that given brand is the best protection. So who wears what helmet will not sway my decision.
I understand about the money thing with professionals, however, I gotta think that a pro racer isnt going to wear junk because he might make a few more dollars from it. I know a F2 isnt cutting edge technology like a 6D but it seems to have a solid foundation - Carbon/Kevlar shell and 2 piece foam liner.

Personally I wear 100% goggles with my F2 and they fit amazing. The nose guard on the helmet and the nose guard on the goggles actually overlap each other so no roost/dirt can make its way in and hit me in the mouth.
Brent
1/5/2015 2:40pm
just open the carton and if it smells sour, throw it out....
rcannon
1/5/2015 4:16pm
So, you go into the local shop and they have these 5 year old (brand new) Shoei helmets marked down to 250.00..or theres brand new, fresh stock HJC's at 200..which do you choose?
SEEMEFIRST
1/5/2015 8:07pm
rcannon wrote:
So, you go into the local shop and they have these 5 year old (brand new) Shoei helmets marked down to 250.00..or theres brand new, fresh...
So, you go into the local shop and they have these 5 year old (brand new) Shoei helmets marked down to 250.00..or theres brand new, fresh stock HJC's at 200..which do you choose?
The 6D.

Post a reply to: Helmet shelf life?

The Latest