Helmet Life?

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2013 8:50am
Assuming no big crashes or hard shots to the helmet, how long do you guys keep a helmet for?
|
6/30/2013 8:41pm
i keep it until I have a big crash or a hard shot that makes me replace it

I aint rollin' in dough, not going to throw something that expensive away unless it is toast
bvm111
6/30/2013 8:48pm
I have been wondering this myself....I have a 12 year old Shoei VFX that has never been wrecked in hard, I quit riding in 2001 after my right scaphoid took a year to heal and I was just done. Last year I picked up down hill MTB and have been wearing it and A LOT of guys keep telling me to get a new one because it is over 10 years old. As some of you guys have seen in other posts I picked up a nearly new 2006 KX250 and the last thing I "need" is a new Shoei... do you think I am good to go before I swing a leg over the KX or should I spring for a new brain bucket????
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
6/30/2013 8:49pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2013 8:51pm
I used to work at the bike shop and the WPS rep came in to show us the new fly helmets and was telling us you should always replace a helmet (no crashes or drops) after 3 years.
EMA884mx
6/30/2013 8:51pm
Did he give a specific reason why? Or is he just wanting some job security?

The Shop

KBehlingMX
6/30/2013 8:53pm
5 years regardless of damage or not according to nearly every manufacturer ive dealt with while working at shops. I wouldn't expect it to last even that long, not putting my head in anything that has touched the ground or been shelved over 2 years. What's your head worth?
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
6/30/2013 8:53pm
No that was the standard they said. It was a year ago, can't really remember the reason. I remember thinking I can't afford that
KBehlingMX
6/30/2013 9:03pm
I would think the longer it sits and the longer its worn, the more compressed the liner will get. Thus giving less room for compression when you take a dirt nap. Nothing stays the same over time. How long can you expect the foam liner to retain its shape and thickness? I have no science or proof to back me up just some safety first thinking. If you can afford to keep a bike in safe riding condition you can do the same with your gear. I can't keep up with either at the moment so I've moved on, safer that way until I can consistently care for the bike and I appropriately.
6/30/2013 9:21pm
If I could go 5 years without a big hit to my helmet I'd be keeping the helmet just for the sheer good luck it had brought me
bvm111
6/30/2013 9:39pm
good points everyone... I am waiting on getting a new truck in august before I ride the KX250, Ill keep the old VFX for DH MTB as I don't really push there and then get a new Windham Replica VFX-W in August!!!!!
jasonv43
7/1/2013 12:01am
Standard life of a helmet is 5 - 7 years.
mx757
7/1/2013 1:23am
I believe it has something to do with the EPS liner getting brittle and not being able to absorb impact like it is supposed to after 5 ish years. That's part of the reason as well that the SNELL rating changes every few years, even with no changes being made to the texts or standard itself. Next one should come up in 2015.
VRR7
7/1/2013 5:36am
Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why? Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll. Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition. The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did. This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed. If a helmet suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection or discarded and replaced.

http://www.araiamericas.com/support.asp?page=support/warranty.asp
7/1/2013 5:53am
3-5 years I read. The concern is that the helmet foam degrades or something. I'm pretty sure the helmet "life" is mostly to remove an liability that manufacturers have on their products. Like, a 10 year old helmet with no major impacts will probably still help in the event of a crash but may not perform to the original specifications. Still, a helmet is better than no helmet. I'll probably shelve my Thor helmet pretty soon.
CamP
7/1/2013 6:59am
All Arai helmets are warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, and are serviceable only for the properly fitted* first user for 5 years from date of first use, but no more than 7 years from date of manufacture. It should be replaced within 5 years of first use.

That's Arai's official line, but I believe you can go longer if the helmet is never left in a 130 degree car, hits the ground, etc.
EMA884mx
7/1/2013 8:43am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2013 8:44am
VRR7 wrote:
Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why...
Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why? Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll. Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition. The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did. This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed. If a helmet suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection or discarded and replaced.

http://www.araiamericas.com/support.asp?page=support/warranty.asp
Interesting, thanks to everyone for the info. I know Arai, Shoei, and Bell helmets (and now 6D) are the cream of the crop in most people's opinions. What do you guys think about Troy Lee Designs SE3 helmets? I've never used one but have been looking into possibly getting one.
MX Culture
7/1/2013 8:50am
shelf life of a helmet is only 5 years.
the styrofoam deteriorates (shrinks) with time and any air exposure to chemicals (gasoline, cleaners, ect) seriously shortens that length.
don't keep your helmets in the garage. keep them inside the house.
I was with HJC for 14 years.

Post a reply to: Helmet Life?

The Latest