Heard a RUMOR about MA800

MXD
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:25pm
Again, let me emphasize the word "rumor" however it was from a reliable person. The rumor is that his concussion in Vegas was worse than they are letting on and the hit he took at Hangtown was brutal as well. Based on the 2 happening so close together, he is either considering or it is being suggested to him that he hang'em up for good.

Has anyone heard anything that can dispel or confirm this?
|
PressPassP
5/26/2011 10:51am
Very sad IF true,he must have been itchin' for the outdoors to start this year..
peelout
5/26/2011 10:52am
i really really hope not, the kid can ride. but head injuries are very scary, came very close to kicking the bucket myself and i have never been the same on a bike since.

i hope it's just a hefty "Rumor" and that there is no truth to it...
mccread
5/26/2011 10:59am
Hope that isn't true.. what David Bailey said on DMXS is probably what needs to happen... Mike needs a different program and needs to make better decisions about when to push and when to lay up. Mike is a nice guy and really fast hopefully Everts and DeCoster and get into his ear and he can stop getting injured and take a title be it AMA or GP before he retires.
MXD
5/26/2011 11:05am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2011 11:06am
I'm a big hockey fan and several times this year I saw players take head shots that didn't knock them out, they got up and skated off the ice on their own but they were not medically cleared to play again for many weeks. How in MX can you knock yourself out cold for minutes and be allowed to return to racing in 2 weeks? There has to be some serious ramifications of banging your head that hard twice in 2 weeks.

The Shop

DownSouth
5/26/2011 11:06am
If the Hangtown concussion was "brutal" then why did the hospital let him out and Mike was back at the track with the announcers in the tower for the second motos? He obviously dinged his head but it may not have been as severe as your rumor source said. Still they are being careful due to Vegas and Hangtown being so close together.
MXD
5/26/2011 11:10am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2011 11:10am
DownSouth wrote:
If the Hangtown concussion was "brutal" then why did the hospital let him out and Mike was back at the track with the announcers in the...
If the Hangtown concussion was "brutal" then why did the hospital let him out and Mike was back at the track with the announcers in the tower for the second motos? He obviously dinged his head but it may not have been as severe as your rumor source said. Still they are being careful due to Vegas and Hangtown being so close together.
According to reports, he was knocked out for "several minutes". There is no way that can't be serious regardless of how long his hospital stay was.

Either way, I'm not a doctor nor was I there so I can't say for sure. That's why I emphasized "rumor".
Mod Killer
5/26/2011 11:19am
mccread wrote:
Hope that isn't true.. what David Bailey said on DMXS is probably what needs to happen... Mike needs a different program and needs to make better...
Hope that isn't true.. what David Bailey said on DMXS is probably what needs to happen... Mike needs a different program and needs to make better decisions about when to push and when to lay up. Mike is a nice guy and really fast hopefully Everts and DeCoster and get into his ear and he can stop getting injured and take a title be it AMA or GP before he retires.
there's nothing wrong with Alessi's program except for the fact that he needs to do an outdoors only deal.

he hates sx and only does it for a paycheck. spends the whole sx season practicing his starts and dodging injury. only to be completely wound up by the time the outdoors come. mike was ready to do some damage this year.

the only place he's gonna get a outdoor only deal is if he does the gp's it seems. send cairoli over here since he wants to race sx, and let mike handle ktm's gp effort.
BobbyM
5/26/2011 11:32am
MXD wrote:
Again, let me emphasize the word "rumor" however it was from a reliable person. The rumor is that his concussion in Vegas was worse than they...
Again, let me emphasize the word "rumor" however it was from a reliable person. The rumor is that his concussion in Vegas was worse than they are letting on and the hit he took at Hangtown was brutal as well. Based on the 2 happening so close together, he is either considering or it is being suggested to him that he hang'em up for good.

Has anyone heard anything that can dispel or confirm this?
i think the injury in vegas was brutal after talking to mike at the podium, it may have had something to do with his brain fart in hangtown. i hope his career isn't over but i suppose it could be, either way i hope it all works out for the kid
BobbyM
5/26/2011 11:34am
mccread wrote:
Hope that isn't true.. what David Bailey said on DMXS is probably what needs to happen... Mike needs a different program and needs to make better...
Mod Killer wrote:
there's nothing wrong with Alessi's program except for the fact that he needs to do an outdoors only deal. he hates sx and only does it...
there's nothing wrong with Alessi's program except for the fact that he needs to do an outdoors only deal.

he hates sx and only does it for a paycheck. spends the whole sx season practicing his starts and dodging injury. only to be completely wound up by the time the outdoors come. mike was ready to do some damage this year.

the only place he's gonna get a outdoor only deal is if he does the gp's it seems. send cairoli over here since he wants to race sx, and let mike handle ktm's gp effort.
daddio balled up his shot over there remember?
DrSweden
5/26/2011 11:37am
WTF? Did my post got clicked, or I just forgot to press submit? Anyway, concussions are brain injuries, at some point they will create a permanent handicap if to many or to severe. We don't know the details around MA, hopefully it's not at that point yet, but if it is, we will support him quitting.

It's just motocross and there are more important stuff.
SMITH201
5/26/2011 11:39am
He just needs to take time off and then go and do GPs for the rest of his career.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/26/2011 11:41am
Mod Killer wrote:
there's nothing wrong with Alessi's program except for the fact that he needs to do an outdoors only deal. he hates sx and only does it...

X2, good point
ccoady454
5/26/2011 11:43am
JS7 has had 8 concussions. 2 or 3 is considered dangerous in the NFL.
robkinuk
5/26/2011 11:45am
SMITH201 wrote:
He just needs to take time off and then go and do GPs for the rest of his career.
Sorry, but on current form he would struggle to get top 5 in MX1 class.
SL91
5/26/2011 11:47am
Anyone who doesn't think concussions are serious should remember Eric Lindros. Quite possibly the best hockey player that never was because of too many concussions. I hope the rumour about MA is just that: a rumour, not the truth.
chrisbuehler
5/26/2011 11:56am
SMITH201 wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
OKaaay. Had the best time in practice at Hangtown and seeing as how Dungey handled your God Cairoli, I think Mike could settle in fine once he knew the tracks
mx184
5/26/2011 11:58am
I too hope this rumor is false. Having had a serious head injury, It is NOTHING to mess with. Don't kid yourselves folks, concussions are bad news all the way around.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/26/2011 12:00pm
SMITH201 wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
Ha, thats funny...
Ozy
5/26/2011 12:04pm
The shitball crash 800 had at hangtown practice was as knarly as any crash i've seen in a while. as a fan I'm really happy that all he suffered was a concussion (would have preferred no injury at all) but damn scary to watch
CR250Rider
5/26/2011 12:12pm
that crash would have killed me

take it slow, Mike.
David Izer
5/26/2011 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2011 8:05pm
I'm looking forward to Nick McCabe's RX article on Broc Hepler that focuses on concussions. A wake-up call in our sport is long overdue.
MXD
5/26/2011 12:15pm
David Izer wrote:
I'm looking forward to Nick McCabe's RX article on Broc Hepler that focuses on concussions. A wake-up call in our sport is long overdue.
Agreed! Like I said above, look at the NHL. They are finally understanding the severity of "just ringing your bell".
5/26/2011 12:15pm
This kid has a lot of mojo left and i am sure he will be back! Go get em High dez rat!
5/26/2011 12:21pm
David Izer wrote:
Someone posted pics of Broc still riding recently. Wonder why he still rides? Gravity works the same in a pro race as it does riding at a local track.
KnightStick
Fantasy
372nd
5/26/2011 12:24pm
In the TWMX Pit Pass video, Tony Alessi was pretty distraught that the AMA was cracking down on head injuries, forcing them to sit out 2 rounds.

I can't imagine putting a race result ahead of my child's safety.
Davey762
5/26/2011 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2011 12:27pm
SMITH201 wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
Oh yeah, that's why he was on the podium last year at the US GP he raced and on the 350 he never liked.... the other guys were lucky he wasn't on a 450 last year at that GP or I'm sure he would have won. I'm not saying Mike would win the championship, but he would not struggle to get top 5's thats for sure. The gp guys are fast but so is Alessi. I hope this rumour is not true, but concussions are serious. Hepler took a lot of time off after getting his, maybe Mike should do the same. Can't wait to see him back out on the track though.
DrSweden
5/26/2011 12:39pm
jasonv43 wrote:
Interesting article on concussions right here:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/05/02/nfl.player.suicide/index.html
Tnx for the link. I actually didn't know about these proteins "TAU" seen in dementia are also seen as a consequence of repeated brain injury.

This is scary shit. Damn, riding is dangerous. I guess CP not riding for pennies makes even more sense now...

Post a reply to: Heard a RUMOR about MA800

The Latest