4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Healy not the first MX'er down this road...

Bigfoot

C100_616278598_1207840768

9/18/2009 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2009 7:38 AM

....and sadly, he likely won't be the last. There have been other top (or near the top) riders who have gotten caught up in the dark side. Some names that most of you know have been busted for drugs and/or related charges. Some have served time too.

Compared to the rush of winning a moto, clearing a triple or making a tight pass, what else in day to day life can provide anywhere near that kind of adrenaline rush? Perhaps that very "special something" that pros have, that need for a thrill, that willingness to push beyond the normal safety zone is what makes them possibly more susceptible to being pulled into the world of drugs and addiction.

Leichien is the highest profile rider to get caught up in all this. Today he has his poop-in-a-group, but sadly, he didn't get there until long after his best years of racing were behind him.

I only met Healy once, back when he was on his game. He seemed like a nice enough guy then. I've seen other riders that I've known and admired go this route, hit bottom and come back as viable, healthy people. For his sake and for the sake of his family, I hope that Healy is able to do the same.

Bigfoot

TG130

C100_magoounadilla_backwards_1369341365

9/18/2009 10:30 PM

Ray Sommo has had some problems with drugs and went to prison also.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sommo-shippy-zoo-1846917-life-started

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

DanDunes818

C100_1d

9/18/2009 10:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2009 11:07 PM

Do you guys remember when Jeff Emig got arrested in Lake Havasu smoking pot out in public with make shift pipe made out of a coke can. Overall though I think motocross racers pale in comparison to a lot of sports when it comes to athletes going down the wrong road. The family enviorment we all grow up in at the tracks is an awesome deterrent from the criminal/drug lifestyle and why I'm so addament about raising my children around mx. I remember back in the day there was no way I would do anything to risk being able to race. My dad made it very clear if I ever got caught stealing,doing drugs or anything like that the bikes would be sold faster than I could say please don't and I believed him. I just sat here and tried to think of riders that did drugs or got arrested and other than the Dogger and Fro I couldn't come up with anything and Fro was just puffing a little herb on a weekend off at the lake. I'm very proud to be involved in a sport where getting in trouble with the law is the exception not the rule.

Dropbear

C100_cr500ss

9/19/2009 3:10 AM

Great sport. No team to rely on so to do any good you have to be fit , focussed and prepared - both body and machine.

Like a few beers after the race though, then the real bench racing starts!

Nightmare for all concerned in Healey's fuck up.

Blake

C100_alt_f4

9/19/2009 11:11 AM

Didn't know that about Sommo.

TG130

9/19/2009 12:36 PM

DanDunes818 wrote: Do you guys remember when Jeff Emig got arrested in Lake Havasu smoking pot out in public with make shift pipe made out of a coke can. Overall though I think motocross racers pale in comparison to a lot of sports when it comes to athletes going down the wrong road. The family enviorment we all grow up in at the tracks is an awesome deterrent from the criminal/drug lifestyle and why I'm so addament about raising my children around mx. I remember back in the day there was no way I would do anything to risk being able to race. My dad made it very clear if I ever got caught stealing,doing drugs or anything like that the bikes would be sold faster than I could say please don't and I believed him. I just sat here and tried to think of riders that did drugs or got arrested and other than the Dogger and Fro I couldn't come up with anything and Fro was just puffing a little herb on a weekend off at the lake. I'm very proud to be involved in a sport where getting in trouble with the law is the exception not the rule.

There's been more than a few riders that were known for puffing a little herb over the years. The difference is that these guys never let things get out of hand and never got into the harder stuff.

FastEddy

C100_1_1403286417

9/19/2009 12:38 PM

TG130 wrote: Ray Sommo has had some problems with drugs and went to prison also.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sommo-shippy-zoo-1846917-life-started

Thanks for posting that.
Good read.

Bigfoot

9/19/2009 2:29 PM

DanDunes818 wrote: Do you guys remember when Jeff Emig got arrested in Lake Havasu smoking pot out in public with make shift pipe made out of a coke can. Overall though I think motocross racers pale in comparison to a lot of sports when it comes to athletes going down the wrong road. The family enviorment we all grow up in at the tracks is an awesome deterrent from the criminal/drug lifestyle and why I'm so addament about raising my children around mx. I remember back in the day there was no way I would do anything to risk being able to race. My dad made it very clear if I ever got caught stealing,doing drugs or anything like that the bikes would be sold faster than I could say please don't and I believed him. I just sat here and tried to think of riders that did drugs or got arrested and other than the Dogger and Fro I couldn't come up with anything and Fro was just puffing a little herb on a weekend off at the lake. I'm very proud to be involved in a sport where getting in trouble with the law is the exception not the rule.

TG130 wrote: There's been more than a few riders that were known for puffing a little herb over the years. The difference is that these guys never let things get out of hand and never got into the harder stuff.

Oh man, how different it was to take a walk through the pits at a national after the races back in the 70's! A fair number of privateers could be seen openly having a puff, while some major stars at least tried to be a bit more secretive....more than one box van smelled a little different on Sunday afternoons!

At the 1977 Anaheim Supercross a couple of low-digit AMA numbered riders were seen sort of hiding behind the "Big A" casually passing a J BEFORE the main! Different time, different world.

Bigfoot

flapper

C100

9/19/2009 2:45 PM

Just FYI Emig was not arrested for smoking pot,the pipe was not his he just had it in his pocket.He was arrested for having paraphanalia.

stumpjumper

C100_88497740_1265416712

9/19/2009 3:00 PM

Did'nt RJ Get busted at customs for pot?

4QSA.

C100_113968020_1247317520

9/19/2009 3:03 PM

is that why emig stutters

project racer

C100_57_1401221683

9/19/2009 3:06 PM

stumpjumper wrote: Did'nt RJ Get busted at customs for pot?

No.

DanDunes818

C100_1d

9/19/2009 3:28 PM

flapper wrote: Just FYI Emig was not arrested for smoking pot,the pipe was not his he just had it in his pocket.He was arrested for having paraphanalia.

FYI Jeff Emig was not just arrested for the pipe. Not that I hold anything against him for what are silly charges but yes he was actually arrested on 3 charges total. Paraphanalia,Possesion of marijuana and public consumption of alchol. He was only convicted of the paraphanalia charge after he did a plea bargain agreement with the Lake Havasu prosecuting authoritiesand the other 2 charges were dropped. Here's a detailed report. http://www.motorcycledaily.com/emig2.html

And FYI I'm a huge fan of Fros to this day and thought the whole thing was silly.

DanDunes818

C100_1d

9/19/2009 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2009 6:24 PM

stumpjumper wrote: Did'nt RJ Get busted at customs for pot?

I'm not sure if my stories are getting crossed but I'm pretty/95% sure that was Lechien when he went to Japan for a race w/Bailey and Omara. If I remember the story right they were all 3 held by custom authorities for awhile and Bailey was rightfully pretty pissed at the dogger.

stumpjumper

C100_88497740_1265416712

9/19/2009 4:58 PM

I'm not bagging on him ,Just remember something happened with him of that nature!

Wolfman

C100_579592_503084383060296_329276849_n_1371345594

9/19/2009 6:04 PM

stumpjumper wrote: I'm not bagging on him ,Just remember something happened with him of that nature!

It was Ronnie Lechien. Lost his honda ride because of it.

UpTiTe

C100_110546100_1248202649

9/19/2009 8:20 PM

stumpjumper wrote: I'm not bagging on him ,Just remember something happened with him of that nature!

Wolfman wrote: It was Ronnie Lechien. Lost his honda ride because of it.

he didnt lose his Honda ride, just his last Honda paycheck, and the porche his dad got him. He had already signed with kawi when that happened.

TG130

9/19/2009 9:16 PM

TG130 wrote: There's been more than a few riders that were known for puffing a little herb over the years. The difference is that these guys never let things get out of hand and never got into the harder stuff.

Bigfoot wrote: Oh man, how different it was to take a walk through the pits at a national after the races back in the 70's! A fair number of privateers could be seen openly having a puff, while some major stars at least tried to be a bit more secretive....more than one box van smelled a little different on Sunday afternoons!

At the 1977 Anaheim Supercross a couple of low-digit AMA numbered riders were seen sort of hiding behind the "Big A" casually passing a J BEFORE the main! Different time, different world.

Bigfoot

Yeah, the good ol' 70's. Remember Stackable used to have a pot leaf painted openly on his helmet ? Could you imagine the outrage if someone did that today ? But then, weren't there some riders sponsored by a rolling paper company a few years ago ?

MattyVicious

C100_1213_45a96178d94c8

9/19/2009 11:31 PM

4QSA. wrote: is that why emig stutters

Jeff Emig is a legend, have some respect.

Zacka 161

C100_97598130_1254664699

9/20/2009 4:16 AM

Former Australian Champion Kim Ashlkanazi (i think he raced in america and got third ish in regional superx champs in the mid nineties) got caught up in drugs in England.

he went to jail for a number of years, only got out early this year, moved back to Australia and got straight back on the bike. At 36 years of age he's aiming to become the oldest Australian Motocross Champion. Not sure if he will do it but in his first race back in a state championship round he placed third in the pro 450 class. not bad considering the winner on the day was Matt Moss (Jakes Brother).

An Australian Magazine (AD did an in depth interview which was an eye opener to what goes on behind the scene at the highest level of sport in some countries.

KAWboy14

C100

9/20/2009 5:55 AM

drugs are a world problem not just moto

Bigfoot

9/20/2009 7:46 AM

Bigfoot wrote: Oh man, how different it was to take a walk through the pits at a national after the races back in the 70's! A fair number of privateers could be seen openly having a puff, while some major stars at least tried to be a bit more secretive....more than one box van smelled a little different on Sunday afternoons!

Bigfoot

TG130 wrote: Yeah, the good ol' 70's. Remember Stackable used to have a pot leaf painted openly on his helmet ? Could you imagine the outrage if someone did that today ? But then, weren't there some riders sponsored by a rolling paper company a few years ago ?

Stackable's leaf wasn't just painted on...it was an actual leaf clear-coated over. So technically, he was "in possession" during the motos!

YZKEN250

C100_ch

9/20/2009 7:55 AM

Zacka 161 wrote: Former Australian Champion Kim Ashlkanazi (i think he raced in america and got third ish in regional superx champs in the mid nineties) got caught up in drugs in England.

he went to jail for a number of years, only got out early this year, moved back to Australia and got straight back on the bike. At 36 years of age he's aiming to become the oldest Australian Motocross Champion. Not sure if he will do it but in his first race back in a state championship round he placed third in the pro 450 class. not bad considering the winner on the day was Matt Moss (Jakes Brother).

An Australian Magazine (AD did an in depth interview which was an eye opener to what goes on behind the scene at the highest level of sport in some countries.

This was in RacerX mag a little while ago.

WhipMeister

C100_jrbavatar_1376008754

9/20/2009 9:06 AM

MX is no different than any other part of society.

Post a Reply to: Healy not the first MX'er down this road...

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm