Health Challenges

Frodad78
12/2/2014 11:20am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2014 7:57am
I was wondering if any of you guys face any Health issues that keep you off the bike, or keep you from riding at all?
For instance, I got bit by a tick and got Lyme disease about 8 years ago and its been a real bastard trying to treat it. Worst part is it hinders my training and riding, I won't even get into all the shit the blasted bug does to you. There are times when it beats me down so hard I just want to quit riding and sell all the bikes, but man...then I get back on the scoot for a day and its like I never was sick. I can't even put into words how good it feels when I'm back on the bike the whole world just disappears. So I'm wondering if there are any others out there that deal with certain health issues and finds Moto to be almost theraputic? Just wanted to see if anyone out there can relate.

Trust me this is not a woe is me thread, I don't need sympathy I need a doctor who understands Lyme!!!
|
Trav138
12/2/2014 11:40am
For 25 years here on my farm South west pa i never saw a tick. Never, not on me, the cows,horses,dogs etc. until about 3 years ago now i'm totally infested with those little bastards.
You are not alone many around here are struggling with health or injuries keeping them off the bike.
I am battling back from my horrible crash 2 1/2 years ago, havn't been able to ride much at all since, but things are looking real good for spring.
Hope you can find some treatment options, maybe find a Dr. Who specializes in lyme or infectious disease. 8 years is a long time to be fighting Lyme right. I don't know much about the treatment for it. My vet says the infection rate around here is still very low, but it's increasing. Time to get more chickens i guess.
Good luck hope you can get back to feelin better.
Trav
Frodad78
12/2/2014 11:50am
Trav138 wrote:
For 25 years here on my farm South west pa i never saw a tick. Never, not on me, the cows,horses,dogs etc. until about 3 years...
For 25 years here on my farm South west pa i never saw a tick. Never, not on me, the cows,horses,dogs etc. until about 3 years ago now i'm totally infested with those little bastards.
You are not alone many around here are struggling with health or injuries keeping them off the bike.
I am battling back from my horrible crash 2 1/2 years ago, havn't been able to ride much at all since, but things are looking real good for spring.
Hope you can find some treatment options, maybe find a Dr. Who specializes in lyme or infectious disease. 8 years is a long time to be fighting Lyme right. I don't know much about the treatment for it. My vet says the infection rate around here is still very low, but it's increasing. Time to get more chickens i guess.
Good luck hope you can get back to feelin better.
Trav
thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Its complicated with Lyme, lots of political BS. But where are you from in PA? I'm actually from Northeast PA, I moved down here because the cold was just killing me with the Lyme. I actually got bit by a Pennsylvania deer tick. Eff those things man. I hope you get back on the bike soon man and I wish you the best in your recovery I hope you are riding again this spring!
Trav138
12/2/2014 11:59am
Frodad78 wrote:
thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Its complicated with Lyme, lots of political BS. But where are you from in PA? I'm actually from Northeast...
thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Its complicated with Lyme, lots of political BS. But where are you from in PA? I'm actually from Northeast PA, I moved down here because the cold was just killing me with the Lyme. I actually got bit by a Pennsylvania deer tick. Eff those things man. I hope you get back on the bike soon man and I wish you the best in your recovery I hope you are riding again this spring!
I live in western PA close to steel city raceway(RIP).
Thats crazy you got bit in Pa, my vet said the infection rate is way higher in the eastern half of the state.
Moving out of here can't be a bad thing, i havn't seen the sun in a month. Best of luck to you and hope you get some treatment figured out.
Frodad78
12/3/2014 4:24am
Frodad78 wrote:
thanks man, I appreciate your kind words. Its complicated with Lyme, lots of political BS. But where are you from in PA? I'm actually from Northeast...
Trav138 wrote:
I live in western PA close to steel city raceway(RIP). Thats crazy you got bit in Pa, my vet said the infection rate is way higher...
I live in western PA close to steel city raceway(RIP).
Thats crazy you got bit in Pa, my vet said the infection rate is way higher in the eastern half of the state.
Moving out of here can't be a bad thing, i havn't seen the sun in a month. Best of luck to you and hope you get some treatment figured out.
Thanks man, Yeah moving down here has been a bonus. The heat treats me well and its great sending pictures of December motos to all my ice laden buddies back home haha. Good luck with your recovery man.

The Shop

BD233
12/3/2014 7:07am
I have pulmonary Sarcoidosis. It flares up frequently and keeps me off the bike alot. Hard to ride or train when you can't breathe. Hope you have more good days than bad. Smile
IWreckALot
12/3/2014 7:37am
I've never had any kind of health issues or broken bones that kept me off the bike. But I have thought about getting out of the sport. I start talking myself down a path of how necessary it is and the risk involved. But then you get on the bike and you immediately remember why you just can't walk away. It's so easy to forget about 100% of the world around you while you're riding. It's the only thing I do that can take my mind off of anything.

Fuck ticks, mosquitos, and fleas. They can all burn in hell for all I care.
Frodad78
12/3/2014 9:21am
Anyday I can get out riding is a good day for sure! I've recently changed my diet and it seems to be helping a ton. Its amazing how good wringing the neck off a 125 feels haha. Sets me free for at least a couple of days.

And yes fuck the mosquitoes too! About a year after I moved down here they started talking about West Nile. I was like fuck that i've had enough shit chewing on me!
yzfjere
12/3/2014 9:33am
Six years ago this month I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. I've been through heavy Chemos, maintenance Cancer drugs, and currently doing Immune system boosting drugs to keep me going and fight infections and more diseases. All this poison has caused so many health problems I can't list them all. At 57, I ride when I feel well enough but that isn't often or easy. Some days I can't even do a full lap without pulling over to breathe. My Drs. are supportive that I continue whatever I feel like I can do. I call moto my therapy! Hope to see ya at the track! CoolGrinning
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
12/3/2014 9:35am
Good luck finding a doctor that knows what they're doing with lyme. My wife has/had it, and it went undiagnosed for over a year. Fibromyalgia, depression, blah blah blah.

She never had a bullseye rash, and it didn't show up in the traditional blood tests. She went for a genetic marker test and that's where it showed. Between a heavy dose of pic-line doxycycline (sp?) and seeing a holistic dr., they got it to go into remission, but she still occasionally has symptoms, though to a lesser degree.

You need to find a support/advocacy group. Lots of good info gets traded around there, though you do have to watch out for the extremes. I'm convinced conventional medicine is way behind the curve on Lyme.

H
Kawaboy14
12/3/2014 9:40am
I had a sudden cardiac arrest last year. They pumped on me for 30 minutes, shocked me 7 times, coma 3 days and installed a defibrillator. All from a viral infection. At 3 months they cut me loose and we went riding.

A couple months ago my heart slowed down causing serious breathing problems, water on the outside of the lungs and so on.

They just tell me do whatever you feel like doing when you feel like doing it.
Frodad78
12/3/2014 10:31am
yzfjere wrote:
Six years ago this month I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. I've been through heavy Chemos, maintenance Cancer drugs, and currently doing Immune system boosting...
Six years ago this month I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. I've been through heavy Chemos, maintenance Cancer drugs, and currently doing Immune system boosting drugs to keep me going and fight infections and more diseases. All this poison has caused so many health problems I can't list them all. At 57, I ride when I feel well enough but that isn't often or easy. Some days I can't even do a full lap without pulling over to breathe. My Drs. are supportive that I continue whatever I feel like I can do. I call moto my therapy! Hope to see ya at the track! CoolGrinning
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've had a rough battle. Have you tried changing up your diet to boost your immune system? I'm currently on the Body Ecology Diet, which it basically built around putting the right nutrients and flora into your gut. I had no idea that 85% of our immune system lived in our guy. I've noticed a huge difference in my symptoms since it started. The cultured veggies are where its at. It does wonders for our immune system. Thanks for sharing man and I wish you all the best!!
Frodad78
12/3/2014 10:33am
Hman144 wrote:
Good luck finding a doctor that knows what they're doing with lyme. My wife has/had it, and it went undiagnosed for over a year. Fibromyalgia, depression...
Good luck finding a doctor that knows what they're doing with lyme. My wife has/had it, and it went undiagnosed for over a year. Fibromyalgia, depression, blah blah blah.

She never had a bullseye rash, and it didn't show up in the traditional blood tests. She went for a genetic marker test and that's where it showed. Between a heavy dose of pic-line doxycycline (sp?) and seeing a holistic dr., they got it to go into remission, but she still occasionally has symptoms, though to a lesser degree.

You need to find a support/advocacy group. Lots of good info gets traded around there, though you do have to watch out for the extremes. I'm convinced conventional medicine is way behind the curve on Lyme.

H
I agree they are way behind, my doctor told me I was stressed out and not to worry about it! WTF? I'm glad your wife has found some relief. I'm getting ready to do another round of ABs, I've been pleasantly surprised how changing my diet has helped. Thanks for sharing man, and best of luck to you and your wife!
Frodad78
12/3/2014 10:34am
Kawaboy14 wrote:
I had a sudden cardiac arrest last year. They pumped on me for 30 minutes, shocked me 7 times, coma 3 days and installed a defibrillator...
I had a sudden cardiac arrest last year. They pumped on me for 30 minutes, shocked me 7 times, coma 3 days and installed a defibrillator. All from a viral infection. At 3 months they cut me loose and we went riding.

A couple months ago my heart slowed down causing serious breathing problems, water on the outside of the lungs and so on.

Damn man thats scary stuff! Does it happen often? Hope you are doing better man and can still get out on the bike.
Kawaboy14
12/3/2014 10:48am
Kawaboy14 wrote:
I had a sudden cardiac arrest last year. They pumped on me for 30 minutes, shocked me 7 times, coma 3 days and installed a defibrillator...

Frodad78 wrote:
Damn man thats scary stuff! Does it happen often? Hope you are doing better man and can still get out on the bike.
Yes I ride 3 or 4 times a month. Race del Valle Mx 4 or 5 months ago and won the 50+ got 2nd in the 40+
Frodad78
12/3/2014 10:50am
Kawaboy14 wrote:

Frodad78 wrote:
Kawaboy14 wrote:
Yes I ride 3 or 4 times a month. Race del Valle Mx 4 or 5 months ago and won the 50+ got 2nd in the...
Yes I ride 3 or 4 times a month. Race del Valle Mx 4 or 5 months ago and won the 50+ got 2nd in the 40+
Nice man, glad to hear it. Stories like yours gives me a bit more motivation to race again. I keep putting it off until I feel 100 %, something tells me I need to just say eff it and get behind the gate again.
Frodad78
12/3/2014 10:53am
Thats frustrating as hell man, nothing worse than going through all the testing, scans and pokes just to have a Doctor look at you with a blank stare. I hope you find some answers and you're able to get back on the bike again.
thorns
12/3/2014 10:57am
IWreckALot wrote:
I've never had any kind of health issues or broken bones that kept me off the bike. But I have thought about getting out of the...
I've never had any kind of health issues or broken bones that kept me off the bike. But I have thought about getting out of the sport. I start talking myself down a path of how necessary it is and the risk involved. But then you get on the bike and you immediately remember why you just can't walk away. It's so easy to forget about 100% of the world around you while you're riding. It's the only thing I do that can take my mind off of anything.

Fuck ticks, mosquitos, and fleas. They can all burn in hell for all I care.
I feel like I could have written that post, exactly the way I have been thinking the last year or so as well. Nice post.
hvaughn88
12/3/2014 11:24am
yzfjere wrote:
Six years ago this month I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. I've been through heavy Chemos, maintenance Cancer drugs, and currently doing Immune system boosting...
I wish there was something I could say that was more than words, but just keep up the fight! That's impressive enough just to be riding at all at 57. You're a hero man.
Flip109
12/3/2014 12:56pm
Damn! Reading all this shit I won't complain about fukin arm pump anymore! SillyShocked
Kawaboy14
12/3/2014 3:02pm
Frodad78 wrote:
Kawaboy14 wrote:
Yes I ride 3 or 4 times a month. Race del Valle Mx 4 or 5 months ago and won the 50+ got 2nd in the...
Frodad78 wrote:
Nice man, glad to hear it. Stories like yours gives me a bit more motivation to race again. I keep putting it off until I feel...
Nice man, glad to hear it. Stories like yours gives me a bit more motivation to race again. I keep putting it off until I feel 100 %, something tells me I need to just say eff it and get behind the gate again.
Just do it! Sittin at home hurts but riding hurts good!
yzfjere
12/4/2014 12:58am
Thanks for the positive reinforcement but I'm no Hero! lol Thanks to Frodad78 for starting this post! The only thing I can suggest is to find the BEST Drs you can find! I have had 3 Oncologists in my 6 yrs and 2 currently confer on my behave....I did Clinical Trials until they quit working and thankfully new drugs came out. Infectious Disease Drs are probably the ticket....I have one from 3 Staf Infection surgeries.... Long story.... I don't want to hijack your thread but this is a HUGE topic for me!
Thanks Frodad78 for acknowledging there are some of us that aren't broken but diseased. I watch what I eat, meditate nightly, listen to my body, and checked my ego at the gate...... I LOVE TO MOTO! When I get old, I'll learn to fish! .....

Frodad78
12/4/2014 4:34am
yzfjere wrote:
Thanks for the positive reinforcement but I'm no Hero! lol Thanks to Frodad78 for starting this post! The only thing I can suggest is to find...
Thanks for the positive reinforcement but I'm no Hero! lol Thanks to Frodad78 for starting this post! The only thing I can suggest is to find the BEST Drs you can find! I have had 3 Oncologists in my 6 yrs and 2 currently confer on my behave....I did Clinical Trials until they quit working and thankfully new drugs came out. Infectious Disease Drs are probably the ticket....I have one from 3 Staf Infection surgeries.... Long story.... I don't want to hijack your thread but this is a HUGE topic for me!
Thanks Frodad78 for acknowledging there are some of us that aren't broken but diseased. I watch what I eat, meditate nightly, listen to my body, and checked my ego at the gate...... I LOVE TO MOTO! When I get old, I'll learn to fish! .....

Man you sound like me!!! Its amazing how changing your diet and lifestyle can improve your health. I just started meditating myself this past year and its been amazing what can happen once you put your ego to bed. I'm glad you are finding your way and getting some relief. In my head there are days where I think "this sucks woe is me I'm just gonna go back to my old ways and blah blah blah" That little voice inside our head can be our worst enemy. Doing the best we can for our bodies and minds is the only option I feel, the alternative is to just quit and be a bum and you know what Iove Moto way too damn much for that!!

Read any good books on Meditation? I've become a big Tolle fan this year.

You guys have really motivated me and lifted my spirits with your stories, It feels good to know that I'm not the only one putting in the work to make sure they can still Braaaaapppp!!
Kawaboy14
12/4/2014 6:19am
yzfjere wrote:
Thanks for the positive reinforcement but I'm no Hero! lol Thanks to Frodad78 for starting this post! The only thing I can suggest is to find...

Frodad78 wrote:
Man you sound like me!!! Its amazing how changing your diet and lifestyle can improve your health. I just started meditating myself this past year and...
Man you sound like me!!! Its amazing how changing your diet and lifestyle can improve your health. I just started meditating myself this past year and its been amazing what can happen once you put your ego to bed. I'm glad you are finding your way and getting some relief. In my head there are days where I think "this sucks woe is me I'm just gonna go back to my old ways and blah blah blah" That little voice inside our head can be our worst enemy. Doing the best we can for our bodies and minds is the only option I feel, the alternative is to just quit and be a bum and you know what Iove Moto way too damn much for that!!

Read any good books on Meditation? I've become a big Tolle fan this year.

You guys have really motivated me and lifted my spirits with your stories, It feels good to know that I'm not the only one putting in the work to make sure they can still Braaaaapppp!!
I am blown away at how much food and allergies plays into how a person feels. I still ate like I was 17 years old. Biggest changes for me was "throw the salt shaker away, don't eat more than 1550 mg of salt a day and cut WAY down on alcohol"
Tumblin
12/4/2014 6:51am
I quit racing two weeks after my one and only National. It wasn't the cast on my leg but the ankylosin spondylitis that killed my attitude and movement. After 3 years of wining and complaining I was finally diagnosed and was put on antiflamatories. Today I'm on Enbrel with also good results but leaving the antiflamatories really settled in on my hammered wrist. I struggled to ride more than 20 miles of single track or make it more than a day a week if I moto or I trail. But I just received my first cortisone injection and I've found another medical gift! I hope it holds up, but loving this result so far. I can sure see why some folks sucome to drugs, alcohol or become bitter. I just pray they have support and use it before they harm themselves and those around them. I lost a best friend a few years back...this shit gets to real. Hang in there my moto brothers!
Frodad78
12/4/2014 7:05am
Kawaboy14 wrote:
I am blown away at how much food and allergies plays into how a person feels. I still ate like I was 17 years old. Biggest...
I am blown away at how much food and allergies plays into how a person feels. I still ate like I was 17 years old. Biggest changes for me was "throw the salt shaker away, don't eat more than 1550 mg of salt a day and cut WAY down on alcohol"
I agree with you on the food allergy part. I too cut down my alcohol, waaaay down. Have you tried switching to Himalayan Salt? Its not as processed as the Iodized stuff., lots more minerals in there. My diet now is pretty much Paleo and whats based off a book called the Body Ecology Diet. All the sugars, breads, flour and grains are gone, apparently the Lyme like sugar. Well shit its been 2 weeks and I have been feeling pretty good, my energy levels have picked up again. The more research I do about sugar and grains the more I realize how bad that shit is for us.
Frodad78
12/4/2014 7:09am
Tumblin wrote:
I quit racing two weeks after my one and only National. It wasn't the cast on my leg but the ankylosin spondylitis that killed my attitude...
I quit racing two weeks after my one and only National. It wasn't the cast on my leg but the ankylosin spondylitis that killed my attitude and movement. After 3 years of wining and complaining I was finally diagnosed and was put on antiflamatories. Today I'm on Enbrel with also good results but leaving the antiflamatories really settled in on my hammered wrist. I struggled to ride more than 20 miles of single track or make it more than a day a week if I moto or I trail. But I just received my first cortisone injection and I've found another medical gift! I hope it holds up, but loving this result so far. I can sure see why some folks sucome to drugs, alcohol or become bitter. I just pray they have support and use it before they harm themselves and those around them. I lost a best friend a few years back...this shit gets to real. Hang in there my moto brothers!
Sorry to hear about your friend man, have you tried cutting the sugar from your diet? I've read that processed sugar is a huge inflammatory to our bodies because our body doesn't know what to do with it! I too have alot of inflamation and its gone way down since I cut the sugar and added healthy fats and cultured veggies. Good luck to you man! hang in there and Braaaapppp on!!!
Xeno
12/4/2014 7:57am
Good stuff in here, boys! Healthy diets, meditation, using moto as motovation- I like what I'm reading!

Five years ago I had a grade-2 tumor removed from my spinal cord at the L1/L2 level. It was benign, so not as gnarly as some of your stories. But shoot, it's a fairly invasive procedure to remove that booger. And you can't lift anything for months, so your muscle mass goes away.

Fortunately, the neurosurgeon nailed the operation like a pro. And even more fortunately, the tumor didn't grow back.

Anyway, the whole time I laid around healing, I kept thinking and praying about getting to physical therapy and then getting back on a dirt bike. That kept me focused and motivated.

The first day back on the bike was an epic day in Ocotillo Wells after a winter rain storm. What a great reward.

Post a reply to: Health Challenges

The Latest