Header vs Slip-On vs Full System

I'm sure there is plenty of info out there on this topic, but I'm short on time and would like to hear from you guys if possible. Basically I'm looking to find out what combo provides the best bang for my buck when comparing performance of just a header or just a slip-on or a full system exhaust. Obviously full system will be best, but will also be the most expensive... so will it be worth my time to install just the header, or just the slip-on, ie, which is best?

Bike in question is a '13 ktm350f. Potentially looking at a ss fmf mega bomb setup.

Thanks
|
skypig
10/23/2017 2:42am
Best bang for buck by a mile is the stock pipe.

On modern competition bikes big gains are unlikely. Some models (current Huskys for example) have excessive restrictions for more sound reduction. If more noise is acceptable, a replacement muffler can offer noticeable gain.

Common sense tells you a different shape/size/length header is no more expensive. If a different design was universally superior, the $millions spent on R&D by the bike manufacturers would likely result in those dimensions.

So, headers are usually only useful for moving the power. EG bigger diameter for less low end, more top end, or longer for low end, at the expense of peak power.

Other reasons for a full system include:
- Weight saving, especially with Ti. (Expensive for the saving)
- Ability to remove exhaust with shock in place on KTMs/White KTMs
- Cool factor (how much is cool worth to you $$)

Unless you always have almost new tires on your bike, the money could be better spent. IMHO
10/23/2017 4:00am
skypig wrote:
Best bang for buck by a mile is the stock pipe. On modern competition bikes big gains are unlikely. Some models (current Huskys for example) have...

On modern competition bikes big gains are unlikely. Some models (current Huskys for example) have excessive restrictions for more sound reduction. If more noise is acceptable, a replacement muffler can offer noticeable gain.

Common sense tells you a different shape/size/length header is no more expensive. If a different design was universally superior, the $millions spent on R&D by the bike manufacturers would likely result in those dimensions.

So, headers are usually only useful for moving the power. EG bigger diameter for less low end, more top end, or longer for low end, at the expense of peak power.

Unless you always have almost new tires on your bike, the money could be better spent. IMHO
Appreciate the advice. Thanks
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
10/23/2017 4:35am
skypig wrote:
Best bang for buck by a mile is the stock pipe. On modern competition bikes big gains are unlikely. Some models (current Huskys for example) have...

Someone gets it.
Donovan759
10/23/2017 5:52am
I've found myself asking this same question... But I'm pretty cheap so when I want to go faster I just hold the throttle down longer. It usually works out.

The Shop

Motofinne
10/23/2017 6:05am
I got my HGS system for my 2017 KTM because i could remove the shock easier. That was the number one factor.

The number two factor was that the EU KTMs have the same silencer as Husqvarnas in US(i think), as you know those are pretty restricted so a slip on might be a gain in most cases.

The header on KTMs are known for being relatively good.
racer495a
10/23/2017 6:51am
skypig wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Someone gets it.
I've got a 17 350 ktm and the no toil backfire screen elimination kit resulted in better throttle response for around $40. This is the first bike I've owned that I didn't get an aftermarket exhaust. Reviews suggest there isn't much gain to be had...if any.
10/23/2017 7:06am
Thanks for the responses. I asked the question on behalf of a friend. I've let him know what you guys have said, then I told him to spend the money on his suspension.
Tracktor
10/23/2017 12:24pm
skypig wrote:

kzizok wrote:
Someone gets it.
Unless you buy a Kawi 250. They are so loud stock that an aftermarket pipe is pretty much mandatory. Yamaha 250 not any better. I don't get why OEM's don't get that sound is an issue? Especially for us with private tracks...........
EastFlorida
10/23/2017 1:48pm
Heck, I don't need more power, better $ spent on suspension and tires...

Post a reply to: Header vs Slip-On vs Full System

The Latest