Have U heard or tested an Alta Motors? (electric MX)

Question
Edited Date/Time 1/3/2016 1:52pm

http://www.motoverte.com/site/alta-motors-une-electrique-de-compet--817…

Sorry I do not know anymore how to use google translate.

I have searched quickly on vital to see if there was an article/something on the forum but it does not look like it has been debated before.

My thought? It looks ok but it is pricey !
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/24/2014 12:13pm
Question wrote:
http://www.motoverte.com/site/alta-motors-une-electrique-de-compet--81785.html Sorry I do not know anymore how to use google translate. I have searched quickly on vital to see if there was an article/something on...

http://www.motoverte.com/site/alta-motors-une-electrique-de-compet--817…

Sorry I do not know anymore how to use google translate.

I have searched quickly on vital to see if there was an article/something on the forum but it does not look like it has been debated before.

My thought? It looks ok but it is pricey !
Check out our coverage from the AIMExpo. We have an invite to test the bike out sometime in late January. Cool
OldYZRider1
10/24/2014 12:33pm
Company used to be known as BRD. They make the Redshift MX bike. I don't know much more but i think I read they received a military contract to supply some of their bikes. Hopefully this will let them underwrite some of their costs and help them hold the costs down.on bikes for the public market.
Question
10/24/2014 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 12:55pm
Cool ! I did not know about the AIMExpo, I will keep it in favorites.

There may be the need to cover up the frame/tank a bit more near the boots and knees, for a more familiar handling, otherwise the chassis/weight/top speed/power/autonomy looks good, promosing, the relationship with Tesla is for sure an asset. Pricey for now, but that should get to a more standard one in a few years.

I am not a real fan of e-bikes, but I have tested electric go karts (a french SME) and they are really funny to drive, for the same power, the power comes faster so in term of lap times it is a bit quicker.
10/24/2014 7:38pm
Company used to be known as BRD. They make the Redshift MX bike. I don't know much more but i think I read they received a...
Company used to be known as BRD. They make the Redshift MX bike. I don't know much more but i think I read they received a military contract to supply some of their bikes. Hopefully this will let them underwrite some of their costs and help them hold the costs down.on bikes for the public market.
Yea keefer said it on pulpmx.

The Shop

Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
10/25/2014 12:52am
It's down from 264 from the first design, so it's heading in the right direction.
nytsmaC
10/25/2014 1:57am
250lbs is less than some 450's with a full tank of fuel. It's not that bad.
Wandell
10/25/2014 8:34am
Is KTM still developing their electric bike?
10/25/2014 9:34am
It's looking pretty legit.

Since they didn't- I'll credit the music: vintage drum solo by Ginger Baker live with Cream "Toad." Sheesh...no respect to musicians.
fasterfaster
2/6/2015 10:42am
@one last comeback, you're right and sorry about that. We've always credited the music in our other videos and dug up the Ginger Baker solo because we have huge respect for him. But we used a new video editor and were in a rush for AIME, and didn't catch that he left out both rider (Jake Locks 35 and Drew Dixon 88) and music credits in the craziness. Our mistake.

Anyway, new video up of Dennis Stapleton on the bike at 408MX. This was his first time on the bike and we had it power limited. Additionally, we set him up with the hand brake, which proved to be a mistake - so far every Enduro rider has loved the handbrake, and every MX rider has hated it. Despite all of that, we're pretty happy with the test, got some fantastic feedback, and expect to see some big steps forward in his next test.

Some more from Spanish Enduro pro, Fran Rico Rodriguez:
nytsmaC
2/6/2015 11:29am
^^^ I'm confused too. I would think that setting up a test with a pro MXer (and MXA bike tester) with a bike that has the power restricted and a hand-controlled rear brake is going to leave him with a horrible first impression.
fasterfaster
2/6/2015 3:43pm
uk125250 wrote:
Why did you have the power limited?
We were testing out some new parameters on the electronics and always keep it within a safety factor at first. Remember this was a development test for R&D purposes, not a ride review. Ditto for the hand brake. We always video our R&D work and the rider interviews, and in this case after talking with Dennis, decided to post up one of his laps and some comments.
fasterfaster
2/6/2015 3:50pm
[Is there a way to multi-quote? Can't find it...]

Of course we talk with our test riders beforehand. There's a lot that goes into every test. The goal here wasn't to lay down a hot lap. It was to get Dennis oriented to the bike as the first stage of several tests with him and get some feedback on a few specifics. We thought the hand brake would be an interesting variable, which it was, but it definitely made him less comfortable in the air. Pretty sure new riders that come up on it will never go to a foot brake (way too many advantages to the hand brake), but if you have the built in reflex to tap brake off a jump it's hard to make the change.
Jim Lahey
2/6/2015 3:50pm
What is the recharge time on the batteries? Is there diminished power when the batteries are at ~50%? I like the concept of the no noise/emissions, but they lack the excitement and theatre of a internal combustion engine. Riding an electric bike looks a bit too clinical
fasterfaster
2/6/2015 5:33pm
Jim Lahey wrote:
What is the recharge time on the batteries? Is there diminished power when the batteries are at ~50%? I like the concept of the no noise/emissions...
What is the recharge time on the batteries? Is there diminished power when the batteries are at ~50%? I like the concept of the no noise/emissions, but they lack the excitement and theatre of a internal combustion engine. Riding an electric bike looks a bit too clinical
Power is consistent all the way until reserve, and then reserve is at reduced power. We're still balancing/optimizing when and how the reserve hits.

On a US 120V outlet (which is what we expect 95% of people to be using in the first year) it's 4 hours from 0-100%. Battery swap is about 5 minutes with 2 people (battery is 65 lbs so it's just much easier with 4 hands). We're finding the average MX rider is tired long before a battery is, but guys that can lay down more than 50 laps (or go through two tanks of gas a day) will want a spare. But honestly, if you're at the edge of the range and don't have room for two bikes in the garage, I'd say stick with a gas bike for now. If the range works for you, I think it's the easiest (no maintenance), most fun thing you can throw a leg over, but the last thing I want is to strand a customer.

Level of excitement and feel is purely subjective so I can't tell you what it'll feel like to you. I can say that for me, it's the most fun bike I've been on and I'm faster on it than anything else. I ride a KTM 250F (and an R6 and a multistrada) and the RedShift provides more feel for the rear tire than any of them, not to mention more oomph and better handling. We've had a top west coast engine builder on the bike for what was supposed to be a 5 minute rip around the lot. He came back 30 minutes later and said he didn't want to come back and it's the first bike he's had fun on in 10 years. And this is a tech that will put him into retirement. All I can ask is that you reserve judgement until you have a chance to ride one. We're riders and we only wanted to build a bike if it was the one we'd want to ride ourselves.
JM485
2/6/2015 6:07pm
Power is consistent all the way until reserve, and then reserve is at reduced power. We're still balancing/optimizing when and how the reserve hits. On a...
Power is consistent all the way until reserve, and then reserve is at reduced power. We're still balancing/optimizing when and how the reserve hits.

On a US 120V outlet (which is what we expect 95% of people to be using in the first year) it's 4 hours from 0-100%. Battery swap is about 5 minutes with 2 people (battery is 65 lbs so it's just much easier with 4 hands). We're finding the average MX rider is tired long before a battery is, but guys that can lay down more than 50 laps (or go through two tanks of gas a day) will want a spare. But honestly, if you're at the edge of the range and don't have room for two bikes in the garage, I'd say stick with a gas bike for now. If the range works for you, I think it's the easiest (no maintenance), most fun thing you can throw a leg over, but the last thing I want is to strand a customer.

Level of excitement and feel is purely subjective so I can't tell you what it'll feel like to you. I can say that for me, it's the most fun bike I've been on and I'm faster on it than anything else. I ride a KTM 250F (and an R6 and a multistrada) and the RedShift provides more feel for the rear tire than any of them, not to mention more oomph and better handling. We've had a top west coast engine builder on the bike for what was supposed to be a 5 minute rip around the lot. He came back 30 minutes later and said he didn't want to come back and it's the first bike he's had fun on in 10 years. And this is a tech that will put him into retirement. All I can ask is that you reserve judgement until you have a chance to ride one. We're riders and we only wanted to build a bike if it was the one we'd want to ride ourselves.
Will you guys be doing a trial session/ demo any time soon? I'd love to try one of these out, seems like it would be ivery nteresting and fun to ride. I would suggest moving the rear brake to the foot lever though. I know there can be a lot of advantages to having it on the bars, but anyone who is transitioning from a moto bike to this would probably feel a lot more comfortable with familiar controls. Just something to consider.
RandyS
2/6/2015 7:42pm
I don't really have anything of any substance to add other than I clicked on a link from France and my first thought was, damn France looks just like Dixon.
fasterfaster
2/7/2015 9:50am
JM485 wrote:
Will you guys be doing a trial session/ demo any time soon? I'd love to try one of these out, seems like it would be ivery...
Will you guys be doing a trial session/ demo any time soon? I'd love to try one of these out, seems like it would be ivery nteresting and fun to ride. I would suggest moving the rear brake to the foot lever though. I know there can be a lot of advantages to having it on the bars, but anyone who is transitioning from a moto bike to this would probably feel a lot more comfortable with familiar controls. Just something to consider.
Yeah, demos are kind of the most important thing we do. I can post all day, but it's all talk until people have a chance to ride the bikes. We're sorting out the exact dates and locations for dirt demos, but supermoto demos will be available at all of our dealers once the bikes go on sale (currently Q3 this year). California is going to get everything first, so apologies in advance to everyone else.

Totally agreed on the brake. They'll all ship with the foot brake. For a variety of reasons, moving to the hand brake has to be the rider's choice, but I do think it will be the most popular aftermarket option.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
2/7/2015 10:34am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2015 10:35am
I rode one once, great power delivery.

They have power restricters to regulate the power, if they didn't they'd pull your arms out of the socket or not hook up
fasterfaster
2/26/2015 1:19pm
Back at 408MX but with the foot brake. Also, thanks to the quieter running, we can do rider voice-over in real time so you can hear what's going in (Arenacross pro) Jake Locks #35's head.

CmanH
1/2/2016 3:33pm
Pretty interesting, sounds bizarre, can you imagine the start gate at A1? 10 second board and no engines revving.....
philG
1/2/2016 3:44pm
I was looking at job vacancy they had going , seems to have some money behind it , but they had offered someone already, who it turns out is on one of the technical forums i am on,,, hoping to get a go on one if i get to SF , which i am hoping to do this year .
Indy mxer
1/2/2016 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2016 9:40am
Jim Lahey wrote:
What is the recharge time on the batteries? Is there diminished power when the batteries are at ~50%? I like the concept of the no noise/emissions...
Power is consistent all the way until reserve, and then reserve is at reduced power. We're still balancing/optimizing when and how the reserve hits. On a...

Awesome!
I looked at the pic of the bike on your website. I thought it looked pretty badass. I'm 58 years old and have been around mx for a long time, I like it.
Although it will take time to get used to lack of sound, I think this could change the sport in a major way.
But it will be a somewhat slow process. This big of a change will take time and patience.
My one concern would be the cost of the battery when it needs replaced and how long it will last.

Anyway, keep up the good work!! I'm looking forward to an MXA test in the future!
flap
1/3/2016 2:20am
Indy mxer wrote:
Awesome! I looked at the pic of the bike on your website. I thought it looked pretty badass. I'm 58 years old and have been around...
Awesome!
I looked at the pic of the bike on your website. I thought it looked pretty badass. I'm 58 years old and have been around mx for a long time, I like it.
Although it will take time to get used to lack of sound, I think this could change the sport in a major way.
But it will be a somewhat slow process. This big of a change will take time and patience.
My one concern would be the cost of the battery when it needs replaced and how long it will last.

Anyway, keep up the good work!! I'm looking forward to an MXA test in the future!
I've rode MX for 23 years now, and got the chance to test an electric KTM last year. I had the exact same thoughts, I was intrigued but nervous it would feel too weird. To my surprise, the lack of sound didn't even cross my mind when I had the helmet on and rode. It felt totally natural. The power delivery was so much fun, and judging speed / corners / braking felt absolutely normal.

The KTM is obviously smaller and more of an enduro model, so I can't talk about the alta, but it was very surprising and way too much fun to ride. ill get one as soon as my wallet and wife agrees Smile killer commuter bike.
mx836
1/3/2016 10:00am
Looks slow and like it needs better forks from the few vids I've seen. Still a cool bike. I would love to have one.
nytsmaC
1/3/2016 10:17am
Why doesn't the website show the components used? I can't see anyone preordering one for $15k when they don't tell you what suspension, wheels etc. it will come equipped with.

It is looking good, and 255lbs isn't much more than some 450's full of fuel.
Indy mxer
1/3/2016 10:20am
I agree. That makes a big difference knowing the components. I thought I read somewhere that the suspension was WP. But I may be wrong on that.

Post a reply to: Have U heard or tested an Alta Motors? (electric MX)

The Latest