Hating a pro rider

sam111
8/21/2012 11:22am
Drtbykr wrote:
lol.....it is stupid to hate a sports figure, your relationship is not intimate enough with them to bring on that emotion, unless you see an incident...
lol.....it is stupid to hate a sports figure, your relationship is not intimate enough with them to bring on that emotion, unless you see an incident like Chris Brown on Rhinna, then you can hate their actions.. Even she has forgiven him! (just because she can sing some doesn't make her bright).

I was disappointed with RV for snubbing the hard core fans in the autograph line in TO, but I'll get over it in acouple of years. Another rider or team manager or even parent can hate another due to a tangible event or series of events. Fans, no. Dislike, sure.

I didn't like Barcia until I saw him handle himself in an autograph line. He might be a great guy to go fishing for the afternoon with, or a dick....you will never know.

Also, these people are racers, not necessarily good public speakers or writers (true dat!).

Like, dislike yes. Hate, love...no.

Dr. Tom
I agree. Of course fans will like and dislike certain riders, but the level of hatred displayed by some posters is irrational. You cannot truly know a riders personality from the little that we see of them.

Many posters claim that Pourcel is an arsehole because of the way he comes across in interviews. He could well be, but I don't judge his personality from that - I have never even met the guy.
I lost a bit of respect for Desalle over the Mexico GP spitting incident, and also for Herlings over some of the things he has done this year, but I still admire their ability and I certainly do not hate them.
downandup
8/21/2012 1:40pm
Predator wrote:
"how in the world can you hate someone you don't even know?" You can "hate" people by their actions... do you like charles manson, jeffery dahmer...
"how in the world can you hate someone you don't even know?"

You can "hate" people by their actions... do you like charles manson, jeffery dahmer, oj, casey anthony, etc? What? Why do you hate these people? You don't even know them! Point is... you don't have to "know" somebody to hate them.
TDeath21 wrote:
This is exactly what my response was going to be. Good post.
brocster wrote:
i agree that you can hate those types of folks but to "hate" a dirtbike rider for racing a dirtbike was more my point... especially when...
i agree that you can hate those types of folks but to "hate" a dirtbike rider for racing a dirtbike was more my point...

especially when you are exposed to less than 2% of their life, probably less than 1% is more like it, in a years time.
Ok, you guys are going back and forth about "hating", how about the flipside? What about being a "huge fan" and "liking" a rider ?

How can you be a huge fan or "like" a guy when you hardly know him? If you can't hate a guy, how come you can essentially love a guy? (for some that is what being a huge fan is!)
TDeath21
8/21/2012 2:21pm
brocster wrote:
i agree that you can hate those types of folks but to "hate" a dirtbike rider for racing a dirtbike was more my point... especially when...
i agree that you can hate those types of folks but to "hate" a dirtbike rider for racing a dirtbike was more my point...

especially when you are exposed to less than 2% of their life, probably less than 1% is more like it, in a years time.
You're right, the word hate should be reserved for those in the world who commit serious crimes. I should have used the word don't like or dislike. I respect the hell out of anyone who has ever qualified for a professional race for their ability to ride a motorcycle. That being said, there are many things a rider does that will make you like him or not. There's nothing wrong with it. That's what sports are all about, cheering for your favorites and rooting against your disliked teams/players/riders, all the while respecting their ability to make it to the professional level of their respective sport.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Hating a pro rider

The Latest