Has anybody had pelvic fractures from moto?

gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
5/5/2013 11:36am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2013 5:29pm
Last Saturday I had a crash at my local track and was landed on by another rider. I suffered numerous injuries with the most serious being fractures in my pelvis, including an open book fracture, and L2-5 vertebrae breaks. The vertebrae will have no surgery and are expected to fuse back together on their own.

Per the pelvis, I now have a long screw running through the rear of the pelvis and a metal plate holding the front together.

My questions are: have any of you had similar injuries, how was your recovery and how long did it take you to get back to normal? If you did not get back to 100%, what percentage did you get back to?

Thanks for your input.
|
ocscottie
5/5/2013 11:50am
Chip! how are you doin buddy? i tried txt'n you last week, i think my dyslexia may have entered yer # wrong in my contacts lol 945-980-XXXX?

Been wanting to check in with ya bud. Thinkin aboutcha every day!

Good to hear that you didnt need any work done on your spine. But that pelvis sounds scary bro! Lookin fwd to seeing shots of your xrays, it must be pretty wild.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
5/5/2013 12:18pm
Thanks Scottie, I will pm my phone number.

I'm doing ok. I'm still in the hospital on day 8 and hoping to be released in the next few days.

I'm able to walk about 20 feet without a walker and 100 feet with it, so I'm making progress.

Still in a fair amount of pain but it gets better each day.

Thanks for thinking if me bud!!
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
5/5/2013 2:20pm
gsxrcr28 wrote:
Last Saturday I had a crash at my local track and was landed on by another rider. I suffered numerous injuries with the most serious being...
Last Saturday I had a crash at my local track and was landed on by another rider. I suffered numerous injuries with the most serious being fractures in my pelvis, including an open book fracture, and L2-5 vertebrae breaks. The vertebrae will have no surgery and are expected to fuse back together on their own.

Per the pelvis, I now have a long screw running through the rear of the pelvis and a metal plate holding the front together.

My questions are: have any of you had similar injuries, how was your recovery and how long did it take you to get back to normal? If you did not get back to 100%, what percentage did you get back to?

Thanks for your input.
I broke my pelvis on both sides, along with L-2 thru L-5 fractures as well. It's been 25 years, but I'm as good as new, other than some aches and pains, caused by cold weather. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks and pretty much stuck doing nothing but lay around and watch TV for the next 4 weeks. I went through 8 weeks of physical therapy and I took that as serious a i could to get the most out of it. I was out of work for 5 months, but I could've worked sooner, if I had to. I stayed off my bike for a couple years, in fear of having to go through all that therapy again. I have been riding for the last 15 years with ZERO ISSUES with my pelvic area or my back. Hope that helps.... Hang in there, time will heal your body. Just try and keep your head on straight and get off the meds as soon as you can handle the pain. You NEED to take the pain meds for your body to heal, just try not to over-do it. Plan on being constipated for awhile, that's par for the course.....
Anthony97
5/5/2013 2:29pm
Hey I don't typically respond to things like this, but I have had the same injury. I am only reponding because I wanted to know the same thing and I searched the internet and ask the same questions.

I had an open book fracture with 7 screws and a big metal plate along with L5 as well. The only difference is I was non weight bearing for 3 months so your recovery might be different.

I never missed my rehab and I think that was the key to my recovery. I am happy to report you're going to be fine, but just don't rush it.

After I was cleared I started to ride about a month after I started walking. It has been 4 years now I still race and ride with no pain. I honestly have more pain from the seperated shoulder rather than the pelvis.

Good luck to you and if you need anything else feel free to ask.

The Shop

FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/5/2013 3:11pm
Best of luck to you guys. I fractured my pelvis about a year ago and luckily did not need internal fixation. The worst part is I didn't know it was broken and I was helped to the mule for ride to pit and the mule broke down ten feet into it, so someone had to walk me to my trailer and load my stuff, It was such an awkward pain. I went to emergency room later that day and found out it had a vertical fracture in the right spot I guess. I feel fine now.
pummel
Fantasy
528th
5/5/2013 3:30pm
I also had an open book fracture. At the same incident I rebroke my femur- broke the rod in it from the previous break and broke my other ankle. It sucked. Honestly the worst part of it was when I was in the ER with a catheter and the catheter hose got kinked and with all the IV fluids I was getting my bladder started expanding inside my pelvis. That sucked. I had to have an external fixater hooked up through what were really just lag screws stuck into my hips. By the time I was healed enough to start PT my leg muscles had atrophied so much that I couldn't lift them off the bed so they had to use the electro shock deal. It took a long time but except for a little bit of grinding in my hips and lack of range I'm as good as anyone could ever expect to be after that. I was back racing again in around 8 months.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
5/5/2013 4:00pm
Thanks for input guys.

I was able to walk about 5 minutes today with no assistance. The doctors said I will be able to go home tomorrow and will not need to go to physical therapy.
I'm sure it's going to be a long road back to get even close to 100%

Post a reply to: Has anybody had pelvic fractures from moto?

The Latest