Has Dungey's performance really been surprising?

Grieby54
Edited Date/Time 2/18/2016 2:43am
Reading the RacerX article on Dungey's dominance (here: http://racerxonline.com/2016/02/17/450-words-the-one-that-got-away), and I'm a bit confused. Did we really not see this coming? I know there were plenty of ET and KR fans who wanted to hand out the championship to them before the first gate drop, but I don't understand why. Dungey absolutely dominated last year, and heading into this year he had a full year under Baker's program and a bike that he had been able to dial in for a year.

Knowing that he crushed it in SX last year and had more momentum rolling into this year, why is there surprise? The guy is super consistent and last year added downright speed/intensity to his tool belt.

Did most of you see this coming or has it been a surprise to most?
|
2/17/2016 9:55am
Not sure if I'm more surprised by Dungey's dominance or by the lack of consistent competition from the rest of the top guys. Definitely expected Tomac to be more of a contender; though I think we'll see better riding out of ET3 come outdoors
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/17/2016 9:56am
I think he's stepped up his game from previous seasons. In addition to being fast, and hardly ever making a mistake, he's more aggressive than before. Does that ease back now that he's got over 25 points in hand? That remains to be seen.

Jimmy_Sloan
2/17/2016 9:58am
Grieby54 wrote:
Reading the RacerX article on Dungey's dominance (here: http://racerxonline.com/2016/02/17/450-words-the-one-that-got-away), and I'm a bit confused. Did we really not see this coming? I know there were plenty...
Reading the RacerX article on Dungey's dominance (here: http://racerxonline.com/2016/02/17/450-words-the-one-that-got-away), and I'm a bit confused. Did we really not see this coming? I know there were plenty of ET and KR fans who wanted to hand out the championship to them before the first gate drop, but I don't understand why. Dungey absolutely dominated last year, and heading into this year he had a full year under Baker's program and a bike that he had been able to dial in for a year.

Knowing that he crushed it in SX last year and had more momentum rolling into this year, why is there surprise? The guy is super consistent and last year added downright speed/intensity to his tool belt.

I think a lot of people still expect Tomac and Roczen to beat Dungey, speed-wise. I still think a lot of people think that, that's why you'll read comments about Tomac still reeling in from his time off, and Roczen not being happy with set-up. Dungey lived under the shadow of RV, but pretty much had everyone else covered. Now that Dungey has Baker in his corner, he is a different, much improved rider. He finally filled in that missing piece. The Dungey we see now would have given RV fits in my opinion. However, as a Dungey fan I am a bit surprised, not so much for Dungey but that Roczen and Tomac are not offering more in response.
Getndome
2/17/2016 10:04am
Tomac and roczen should start testing for outdoors already sadly or else they are gonna get wore out.

The Shop

mauidex
2/17/2016 10:14am
Dungey will do the same exact thing outdoors as he is doing here, bet on it...............the other guys will throw it away a moto or two and Dunge will podium them to death!!
500guy
2/17/2016 10:14am
GuyB wrote:
I think he's stepped up his game from previous seasons. In addition to being fast, and hardly ever making a mistake, he's more aggressive than before...
I think he's stepped up his game from previous seasons. In addition to being fast, and hardly ever making a mistake, he's more aggressive than before. Does that ease back now that he's got over 25 points in hand? That remains to be seen.

He looks solid all day and all night, personally in SX I have never seen a rider seem more in control than Dungey.

maybe McGrath back in his glory days.
mauidex
2/17/2016 10:16am
GuyB wrote:
I think he's stepped up his game from previous seasons. In addition to being fast, and hardly ever making a mistake, he's more aggressive than before...

500guy wrote:
He looks solid all day and all night, personally in SX I have never seen a rider seem more in control than Dungey. maybe McGrath back...
He looks solid all day and all night, personally in SX I have never seen a rider seem more in control than Dungey.

Dungey is the modern era Bailey CoolCool
jj welks
2/17/2016 10:18am
Roczen, Tomac, handful of others can beat Dungey on 1 or 2 given nights but ain't nobody keeping up with Dungey week after week after week.
Motofinne
2/17/2016 10:19am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 10:24am
Not at all. The people that think this is surprising are the same dudes that tell themselves that the "field is the deepest ever", "5-7 guys are title contenders and 10 guys could win races" and that Dungey doesn't have the speed to consistently be on top. .

There were 3 title contenders when the A1 gate dropped. Dungey, Roczen and Tomac. Dungey was the big favorite to the title. And now he's showing everyone why he was the big favorite to the title.

fidiot
2/17/2016 10:23am
The only thing that has surprised me about him this year is his new ability to make passes. In past years he would labor behind some riders for multiple laps before making a pass. It was difficult to watch at times. This year he just seems to make it happen right away almost effortlessly. Why is this? Because he is faster? Has more confidence? Combination of both? I don't know, but it is definitely different than before.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
2/17/2016 10:24am
It is insane how great he has been and how consistently he's done it. So it's frustrating as an mx fan to hear how he's "boring", "wins by chugging along with consistency" and other junk. The dude is gnarly as hell.

I get it he's not super flashy, my favorite type of riders are Barcia/Anderson but he stomps the competition, pretty consistently.
Ted722
2/17/2016 10:36am
Seems like a lot of riders are in "Dungey" mode, except Dungey. To finish first in the championship, you must first finish.

When the defending champion puts a full pts. race on you in the first 6 rounds, its time to scrap "Dungey" mode.
ATKpilot99
2/17/2016 10:54am
Not surprising at all. It's impressive how he manages the race. I think if need be he could find a little more speed. He's riding completely in his comfort zone and still the fastest out there right now.
RandyS
2/17/2016 11:13am
During the reign of Villopoto I think Dungey was every bit as good RV with one exception, the intensity and sense of urgency at the beginning of the race. There were many people on here who said so and there were just as many who said we didn't know what we were talking about. Then Emig and RC started saying it on air. A couple of weeks into 2015 Dungey lashed out on the broadcast about keyboard warriors, something about I'd like to see them come out here and do it. I bet Aldon set him down the next Monday and told him to listen to what people were saying. RC, Emig, and DeCoster were the only ones I heard say it publicly on TV but I know most of the pits were probably saying the same thing. I bet it wasn't easy to hear but within 2 weeks of that tirade by Dungey we had the Ryan Dungey v.2 that you see now. It was always there, remember Southwick.
Steadman
2/17/2016 11:19am
Not sure if I'm more surprised by Dungey's dominance or by the lack of consistent competition from the rest of the top guys. Definitely expected Tomac...
Not sure if I'm more surprised by Dungey's dominance or by the lack of consistent competition from the rest of the top guys. Definitely expected Tomac to be more of a contender; though I think we'll see better riding out of ET3 come outdoors
This all of this. We obviously know The Dundge has what it takes to win (and as GuyB pointed out RD has elevated his game this year) but to be honest I am surprised by his dominance once again. I thought for sure there would be a few others able to run the pace and be more of a challenge, or is it that starts really are everything? Either way good on Ryan for kicking some ass and taking some names.
Jimmy_Sloan
2/17/2016 11:19am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 11:20am
RandyS wrote:
During the reign of Villopoto I think Dungey was every bit as good RV with one exception, the intensity and sense of urgency at the beginning...
During the reign of Villopoto I think Dungey was every bit as good RV with one exception, the intensity and sense of urgency at the beginning of the race. There were many people on here who said so and there were just as many who said we didn't know what we were talking about. Then Emig and RC started saying it on air. A couple of weeks into 2015 Dungey lashed out on the broadcast about keyboard warriors, something about I'd like to see them come out here and do it. I bet Aldon set him down the next Monday and told him to listen to what people were saying. RC, Emig, and DeCoster were the only ones I heard say it publicly on TV but I know most of the pits were probably saying the same thing. I bet it wasn't easy to hear but within 2 weeks of that tirade by Dungey we had the Ryan Dungey v.2 that you see now. It was always there, remember Southwick.
I agree. DeCoster straight out said the problem was in Dungey's head. I believe that was after the MXoN.
Grieby54
2/17/2016 11:22am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 11:25am
mauidex wrote:
Dungey will do the same exact thing outdoors as he is doing here, bet on it...............the other guys will throw it away a moto or two...
Dungey will do the same exact thing outdoors as he is doing here, bet on it...............the other guys will throw it away a moto or two and Dunge will podium them to death!!
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. What series have you been watching? Who has thrown the race away that Dungey has inherited? The dude is starting out front and running away or making very quick passes to get to the front to run away. He will podium the field to death - the thing that some seem to fail to realize is that he will usually be ON TOP of the podium while he's doing it.
mauidex
2/17/2016 11:23am
Remember, I think was steel city maybe??, when RV just set him up and passed him last corner before checkered???

yeah RV had that SOU, just like RC did................Dungey has changed mentally more than anything and confidence the last year and a half has it off the charts..........he goes to the line believing he'll win no matter what
mauidex
2/17/2016 11:27am
Grieby54 wrote:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. What series have you been watching? Who has thrown the race away that Dungey has inherited? The dude is...
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. What series have you been watching? Who has thrown the race away that Dungey has inherited? The dude is starting out front and running away or making very quick passes to get to the front to run away. He will podium the field to death - the thing that some seem to fail to realize is that he will usually be ON TOP of the podium while he's doing it.
sorry Grieby...........first part had nothing to do, in my mind with second part, someone will throw it away OUTDOORS a moto or two, like Tomac last year.................
Motofinne
2/17/2016 11:30am
mauidex wrote:
Dungey will do the same exact thing outdoors as he is doing here, bet on it...............the other guys will throw it away a moto or two...
Grieby54 wrote:
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. What series have you been watching? Who has thrown the race away that Dungey has inherited? The dude is...
I agree with you to 110%. The stupid narrative about Dungey winning these races on "luck" or "steadiness" is just incredibly boring to read.

It's the same thing with "the other guys just need a star". Well guess what, they have had the starts nailed a couple of times this season already in heat races and mains and Dungey have just been flat out faster.
ocscottie
2/17/2016 11:31am
I read something interesting in a SX PR, this is the second best start to a season. Dungey has 144 out of a total of 150 points possible, The only better start was by Chad Reed in '08 when he went 147 out of 150.

Impressive to say the least.
kiwifan
2/17/2016 11:36am
I am a Dungey fan, even I thought that this year was going to be tough for him, he has stepped it up a notch in my opinion.

So for sure his performance has been surprising on one hand (i.e. faster than previously) but not surprising on another (i.e. consistently fast).
IWreckALot
2/17/2016 11:36am
RandyS wrote:
During the reign of Villopoto I think Dungey was every bit as good RV with one exception, the intensity and sense of urgency at the beginning...
I agree. DeCoster straight out said the problem was in Dungey's head. I believe that was after the MXoN.
Dungey's bike also changed significantly last year. I wish we had RV and RD both training with Aldon on the bikes of their choice. I think it would be a battle royale.
mauidex
2/17/2016 11:47am
IWreckALot wrote:
Dungey's bike also changed significantly last year. I wish we had RV and RD both training with Aldon on the bikes of their choice. I think...
Dungey's bike also changed significantly last year. I wish we had RV and RD both training with Aldon on the bikes of their choice. I think it would be a battle royale.
and throw in RC and Stewie at 24-0 season forms................man that would be EPIC!!!!!!! WoohooWoohooWoohoo
newmann
2/17/2016 12:17pm
GuyB wrote:

500guy wrote:
He looks solid all day and all night, personally in SX I have never seen a rider seem more in control than Dungey. maybe McGrath back...

mauidex wrote:
Dungey is the modern era Bailey CoolCool
Dungey is too good. End of thread...Smile

All the other guys, Villo included ride/rode the ragged edge while dungey sniffed their asses the whole race. One big mistake and he had it, no big mistake and he was the bridesmaid. He just appeared to me that he was not willing to risk throwing it all away like some of the competition. Frustrated the hell out of me watching from the couch. Wanted to throw my beer a few times, much much messier than throwing down a napkin. Laughing

This year, in the most stacked field perfect storm bullshit ever, Dungey has them covered. Too bad he pushed Villo to an early retirement.
Grieby54
2/17/2016 12:31pm
Grieby54 wrote:
mauidex wrote:
sorry Grieby...........first part had nothing to do, in my mind with second part, someone will throw it away OUTDOORS a moto or two, like Tomac last...
sorry Grieby...........first part had nothing to do, in my mind with second part, someone will throw it away OUTDOORS a moto or two, like Tomac last year.................
Ah. Gotcha.
IWreckALot
2/17/2016 12:34pm
newmann wrote:
Dungey is too good. End of thread...:) All the other guys, Villo included ride/rode the ragged edge while dungey sniffed their asses the whole race. One...
Dungey is too good. End of thread...Smile

All the other guys, Villo included ride/rode the ragged edge while dungey sniffed their asses the whole race. One big mistake and he had it, no big mistake and he was the bridesmaid. He just appeared to me that he was not willing to risk throwing it all away like some of the competition. Frustrated the hell out of me watching from the couch. Wanted to throw my beer a few times, much much messier than throwing down a napkin. Laughing

This year, in the most stacked field perfect storm bullshit ever, Dungey has them covered. Too bad he pushed Villo to an early retirement.
Did you happen to attend the Freestone race where Dungey followed JS7 around the whole moto eating his roost? God that pissed me off to no end. I kept on yelling for him to pull the trigger but just sat behind him the whole time. JS almost threw it away on the last lap close to the finish line but saved it and went 1-1. That was an awesome race. Just wish Dunge could have made it happen in the second moto at least.
NotCore
2/17/2016 12:40pm
Grieby54 wrote:
Reading the RacerX article on Dungey's dominance (here: http://racerxonline.com/2016/02/17/450-words-the-one-that-got-away), and I'm a bit confused. Did we really not see this coming? I know there were plenty...

It just goes back to people not believing in his dominance last year, and he was very dominant. But combine two years of dominance and his slick early moves in positioning out of the gate this year, and even the naysayers can't ignore it.

But to answer your question, not terribly surprising to me, but I do think he's on a confidence bender right now, and can't imagine it will be all rosy all year. SX/MX is a tough business and he'll have some adversity to overcome as always.
Zaugg
2/17/2016 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 1:14pm
I'm sure at the end of the season someone will still want to put an asterisk next to his name because there's no way Dungey can be this dominate without and asterisk. Whistling

Forty
2/17/2016 1:35pm
I don't think it has been a surprise. It is not one thing or another that makes his system work/win, it's everything about his system being as good as it can be... always.

The guy and his team continually work on what they consider to be weaknesses, with him as a rider, the bike, the team, each track, each tire, each nut and bolt, everything.

Everything is analyzed/improved all the time, nothing is left to chance.

When that happens you get what Dungey is now.

I credit Roger with this and I credit Ryan for going all in and continuing to go all in. It really has been great to watch it unfold.

He will do the same outdoors unless someone else can emulate what they have built.

Post a reply to: Has Dungey's performance really been surprising?

The Latest