Hare and Hound helmet cam

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2016 5:22pm
I raced a Hare and Hound this past weekend in St. George Utah, and figured I'd share a little bit of my brothers helmet cam footage. He ended up 9th overall (of 300...the BLM limits the number of bikes to 300 at this race) and 8th open Expert (all but one of the guys that finished in front of him race open Expert...and 5 of them are Pro riders, but my local series doesn't have a pro class).

To say it was dusty would be an understatement. But he killed it, and rode really good.

It was a 55 mile first loop with a 38 mile second loop.

This was filmed on a Replay XD Mini...(If you were wondering).

https://youtu.be/UrnNhPttQJk
|
Uncle Tony
3/3/2016 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2016 12:09pm
Holy smokes that's just nuts, big balls you guys have! I didn't see a course marker till 13 minutes in, the dust was just crazy, I would get lost, no way would I do that, happy your brother got the guy in the marker cone gear, good ride considering you can't see a damn thing
IWreckALot
3/3/2016 12:27pm
I race cross country and those dust bowls are just plain not fun to race. Best case scenario, you get done with the race and feel like you just competed in the cinnamon challenge. Worst case is a pile up in a WFO area that nobody can see in and everyone just keeps getting piled up on. . .
RPM68
3/3/2016 12:38pm
2 words...

Fuck That.

Congrats on the finish, ive had a few races that were dusty but nothing that was pure blinding death like that!
Titan1
3/3/2016 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2016 12:49pm
LOL...I LOVE these races.

This was probably the worst race, for dust, I've ever done. It's always dusty (well almost always), but this weekend there was virtually no wind at all...so the dust didn't move...it just sat right on the course. Usually there is some type of a breeze that will blow the dust out of the way, so its not as bad.

So if you watch at about 1:50 in that video, my brother drops into that wash, and on the way our there is a rider picking up his bike, and my brother asks if he's alright...here is that riders helmet cam of that crash. He got LUCKY!

https://youtu.be/MDUXjCwFVRs

The Shop

jmc2
Fantasy
1626th
3/3/2016 3:37pm
Wow, he got lucky indeed! Great footage from both riders.
3/3/2016 4:48pm
I hate when the dust lingers like that! Other than that it looks like a bitchin desert race. It's been about 15 years since I rode rhino rally, I think I was on a 65 last time I did haha. Were you at the Panaca national last year? Now that was another gnarly dust situation!
Titan1
3/4/2016 10:33am
I hate when the dust lingers like that! Other than that it looks like a bitchin desert race. It's been about 15 years since I rode...
I hate when the dust lingers like that! Other than that it looks like a bitchin desert race. It's been about 15 years since I rode rhino rally, I think I was on a 65 last time I did haha. Were you at the Panaca national last year? Now that was another gnarly dust situation!
Wind is a desert racers friend...that's for sure.

The rhino rally is my favorite race of the year...this was by far the worst year for dust, and they put together a very difficult course, so the dust, the heat (it was over 80 degrees) and then a technical whooped out course made for a brutal day. But that's why we do it.

I didn't get out to Panaca...I don't get out to many of the Nationals, but I think Panaca is paying points for my local series this year, so I'm sure its on my calendar (assuming soccer games or dance competitions to get in the way...lol).

3/4/2016 10:56am
I raced this on the Novice/C wave - +40 mind you. Usually it seems the dust gets bearable after 5 miles or so as the field spreads out but I think I was somewhere between 10-15 miles before I finally cleared the dust. Sure does mess with your head going through whoops and you can't even see the ground. The hill climb through the lava rocks was littered with riders and bikes as well. I'm just glad your mind forgets the pain quicker than the accomplishment.
Titan1
3/4/2016 4:24pm
I raced this on the Novice/C wave - +40 mind you. Usually it seems the dust gets bearable after 5 miles or so as the field...
I raced this on the Novice/C wave - +40 mind you. Usually it seems the dust gets bearable after 5 miles or so as the field spreads out but I think I was somewhere between 10-15 miles before I finally cleared the dust. Sure does mess with your head going through whoops and you can't even see the ground. The hill climb through the lava rocks was littered with riders and bikes as well. I'm just glad your mind forgets the pain quicker than the accomplishment.
How did you end up doing?

I DNF'd...
3/4/2016 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2016 5:15pm
Horrible start but finished 28 OA Novice and 2nd in my class. I'll take it. I can't make Sugarloafers but will be back for Knolls for more dust and whoops.
philG
3/4/2016 5:22pm
RPM68 wrote:
2 words...

Fuck That.

Congrats on the finish, ive had a few races that were dusty but nothing that was pure blinding death like that!
needs to be in a bigger font

full of NOPE

respect though.

Post a reply to: Hare and Hound helmet cam

The Latest