Hanny on Pulp

Edited Date/Time 4/18/2014 11:42am
Not gonna lie, I've been a Hanny Hater for many years. Dude's got amazing skills but it's been hard to cheer off the bike. I love that he buried the hatchet with Matthes, owned his mistakes and talked about his demons. You've got to be a heartless bastard not to want him to succeed after that. I'll be rooting for him next year - just hope he can keep his nose clean from here on out.
|
mx_563
4/16/2014 9:16pm
I think I re-became a fan a month or two ago when that vid came out of him at....I think it was Milestone. With his candy bars for after each session. I was just sitting there in amazement watching this dude ride, and then he's just being a funny kid off the bike (not all "Dirt Sharkish") and he just seemed super likable all of a sudden.

Haven't listened to the pulp show yet. I usually listen at work but I've been so busy designing bus parts I got behind on my pulp shows. A travesty!
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
4/16/2014 9:22pm
I gained a lot of respect for Hanny the way he came on the show and owned everything. He didn't back away from anything and didn't point the finger at anyone but himself, much respect for that. Hopefully he will get a chance to go racing again. I don't have anyway of knowing what kind of shape Moto XXX is in but, man a team of Hanny and Hill seems almost too perfect.
bd
4/16/2014 9:36pm
Redemption - we all have had moments of glory and have fallen. Hanny is a story to root for.
oldAFI
4/17/2014 12:52am
After one takeout y'all be haters again.

The Shop

rebus
4/17/2014 1:12am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2014 1:13am
oldAFI wrote:
X1000

Bunch of weekly-fans-of-the-interview morons here. Barica's in one week, out the next. And let's not talk about Alessi or Stewart.

Hanny was cool a long time ago when he took time with the fans...
FCTRY
4/17/2014 1:14am
Redemption is a powerful thing. I used to think that Chad Reed was a spoiled pretty boy, and I know a lot of other people did too. A couple years later, he ditches the earrings, shows resilience and a love for the sport, and he's a fan favorite at a near Windham-like level. I think the same is true for Stewart, a lot of people were over it when Bubba's world was happening and he seemed to just give up if he wasn't dominating. But he seems, at least in public perception, to have grown and matured a lot through those rough years and that's a story people like to see. To me he comes off now as humble, grounded, and a lot more entertaining than his competition. I'm very much in the anti-Hanny camp because of the Alex Ray incident (discussed in the other thread), but seeing him come back as a better person and have success would be great.
4/17/2014 2:44am
oldAFI wrote:
rebus wrote:
X1000 Bunch of weekly-fans-of-the-interview morons here. Barica's in one week, out the next. And let's not talk about Alessi or Stewart. Hanny was cool a long...
X1000

Bunch of weekly-fans-of-the-interview morons here. Barica's in one week, out the next. And let's not talk about Alessi or Stewart.

Well, we're not all capable of having your level of intelligence, rebus. Here's to hoping there are no more take outs-maybe he is growing up.
hellion
4/17/2014 5:00am
I'm a tentative fan after the recent video and especially the Matthes make-up interview. I don't really care if he cleans his act up though it would be good for him and his career. I just like that he's owning who he is and what he's done in the past. If your going to be a bad ass, own it. If you want to change, change. But always be honest about it either way. I really hope he gets another chance, he's a very interesting person and an unbelievably talented rider.
IWreckALot
4/17/2014 5:27am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2014 5:29am
He's an every day Mrs. Cleo. He can see the future and shit.

It would be cool to see one of the guys who took a wrong turn come back. Those guys include hanny, Stroupe, JLaw and I'm sure there are a few more. I don't think he'll be competing for wins but his comeback alone will draw plenty of sponsor attention. I'd root for any of those three guys if they put their best foot forth and go all in.
zghosty
Fantasy
488th
4/17/2014 6:10am
rebus wrote:
X1000 Bunch of weekly-fans-of-the-interview morons here. Barica's in one week, out the next. And let's not talk about Alessi or Stewart. Hanny was cool a long...
X1000

hanny took a good five mins and talked with me at seattle. shook his hand and got a picture. made me a bigger fan.
Starcrossed
4/17/2014 6:41am
The more talent on the gate, the better the racing for everybody. As long as he shows up and can pass a field sobriety test, and isn't trying to injure anybody on the track, I could care less what he does the other 6 days of the week. This is supposed to be about racing, right? Bring on lil' Hanny.
davistld01
4/17/2014 7:42am
oldAFI wrote:
rebus wrote:
X1000

Well, we're not all capable of having your level of intelligence, rebus. Here's to hoping there are no more take outs-maybe he is growing up.
^^^This!^^^
rebus
4/17/2014 9:43am
oldAFI wrote:
rebus wrote:
X1000

It's just an opinion, mate. Morons was a bit strong so my apologies on that one. But I don't think Hanny is too worried about riding to to your specifications so he can be grown up, and I think oldAFI hit the nail on the head, that's all.
MT MX
4/17/2014 10:07am
In a nutshell, what did he have to say on Pulp? Did he elaborate any on the mistakes he made or demon's? I'm at work now and can't listen.
cd0583
4/17/2014 10:15am
you guys try living in LA and racing fulltime lol..not as easy as you think for a younger guy..Props to him
Conkey
4/17/2014 11:03am
I like the distinction he made between his career and his father's ideas for him. Basically, that he went his own path.
fidiot
4/17/2014 11:39am
I listened to him on the pulpmxshow. I liked what I heard. I think it would be great if he got a ride for 2015 supercross. Coming two years off the bench though he is going to need to go 100% this summer through fall and train hard like he said if he wants a chance of racing with the top 5 guys. I'd love to see it, but I'm guessing his chances are slim of getting on a decent bike.
MXD
4/17/2014 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2014 12:01pm
MT MX wrote:
In a nutshell, what did he have to say on Pulp? Did he elaborate any on the mistakes he made or demon's? I'm at work now...
In a nutshell, what did he have to say on Pulp? Did he elaborate any on the mistakes he made or demon's? I'm at work now and can't listen.
He didn't get in to too much detail about his "demons" specifically. He just basically said that he's been given many many chances and blown them all on his own. He didn't lay the blame anywhere but squarely on his shoulders. He also took responsibility for why most people view him negatively. It was a very honest interview and I appreciated it. It's definitely worth a listen.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
4/17/2014 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2014 12:15pm
I've always been a Hanny Fan since the beginning / during his up's & downs.
Enjoyed finally hearing him on the Pulp Show.

For those who've missed it.
http://www.pulpmxshow.com/show/213
Hanny comes on at about 2:42:00
40Plus_922mx
4/17/2014 12:41pm
I am not a fan of the punk-like attitude. Never have been, never will. Unless you have done ten years in prison, been a combat veteran, or housed your in laws for any length of time you have no biz coming off all bad ass. These kids who come up in the ranks of life adopting their image as all bad ass when they are from freakin OC and the IE. LoL. Doesn't work.

So I rarely have any sympathy when they screw their lives up. Specially when they verbally roost the guys who are doing what it takes to be on top ie. J-Law vs Dungey.

However & with that said. I have always enjoyed guys like Deegan, J-Law, and Hanny when it comes to racing. They add an "element" that brings a lot of excitement. I wish the best for li'l Hanny. We all know he has skills. If he can focus on himself and nothing else he will hopefully redeem some lost years and income here shortly. I hope he does well. I will actually root for him ........... until the first take out LoL LoL...
71Fish
4/17/2014 12:42pm
FCTRY wrote:
Redemption is a powerful thing. I used to think that Chad Reed was a spoiled pretty boy, and I know a lot of other people did...
Redemption is a powerful thing. I used to think that Chad Reed was a spoiled pretty boy, and I know a lot of other people did too. A couple years later, he ditches the earrings, shows resilience and a love for the sport, and he's a fan favorite at a near Windham-like level. I think the same is true for Stewart, a lot of people were over it when Bubba's world was happening and he seemed to just give up if he wasn't dominating. But he seems, at least in public perception, to have grown and matured a lot through those rough years and that's a story people like to see. To me he comes off now as humble, grounded, and a lot more entertaining than his competition. I'm very much in the anti-Hanny camp because of the Alex Ray incident (discussed in the other thread), but seeing him come back as a better person and have success would be great.
I'm the same way with CR22, I just wish he would untuck his ear.
PTshox
4/17/2014 12:51pm
The thing about the guy is he sounds like he's stoned all the time.... which doesn't help his image.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
4/17/2014 1:10pm
I think Hanny has a shit ton of talent and I haven't always agreed with the way he's handled things, but I've always respected him.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
4/17/2014 1:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2014 1:16pm
Jarid332 wrote:
I think Hanny has a shit ton of talent and I haven't always agreed with the way he's handled things, but I've always respected him.
Same here. We all have done stupid shit, hopefully he is old enough now where he can get his career back on track and appreciate it.
dirthead1
4/17/2014 4:04pm
I think I got a few things from his interview that I didn't think he had openly shared with the general public before:

1. That he barely did shit to prepare for racing (train, eat, not party) and still was in the hunt for Lites championships. That's talent right there. He has old school talent like Hannah, Lechein etc.

2. He's done a lot of really lame stuff that has tarnished his dad's good name and bummed his dad out.

3. He suffers from heavy (manic?) depression.

4. He now knows that he was really the douche and it wasn't everyone else like he thought and acted out on (except Matthes).

5. He's going to be on the track again racing with the big guns because he will be given a seventh or eighth chance by a team that believes in him.

6. That he believes now what he does for a living is a gift and not a privilege.

I hope he gets a ride (any ride), goes for it, and doesn't blow it again.
davistld01
4/17/2014 4:17pm
I echo most everybody here as I bad mouthed Hanny for his behavior & attitude while I couldn't help but applaud his skills on a motorcycle. They say you can't get well unless you admit being sick, and I'm proud of the kid owning his shit and coming clean. Makes me at least root for him in whatever he's involved in from now on simply because I have some new respect for him.

He said he was being given another chance by a team that believed in him...could Mitch be on his side enough to put him on a 450? Could MotoXXX be willing to help? It'll be interesting to see what transpires & what he's on if/when he lines up at GH.
mxjef
4/17/2014 5:30pm
davistld01 wrote:
I echo most everybody here as I bad mouthed Hanny for his behavior & attitude while I couldn't help but applaud his skills on a motorcycle...
I echo most everybody here as I bad mouthed Hanny for his behavior & attitude while I couldn't help but applaud his skills on a motorcycle. They say you can't get well unless you admit being sick, and I'm proud of the kid owning his shit and coming clean. Makes me at least root for him in whatever he's involved in from now on simply because I have some new respect for him.

He said he was being given another chance by a team that believed in him...could Mitch be on his side enough to put him on a 450? Could MotoXXX be willing to help? It'll be interesting to see what transpires & what he's on if/when he lines up at GH.
Pretty sure he said he's working towards making a comeback for SX 2015 not the Nationals.
4/17/2014 6:06pm
rebus wrote:
X1000

rebus wrote:
It's just an opinion, mate. Morons was a bit strong so my apologies on that one. But I don't think Hanny is too worried about riding...
It's just an opinion, mate. Morons was a bit strong so my apologies on that one. But I don't think Hanny is too worried about riding to to your specifications so he can be grown up, and I think oldAFI hit the nail on the head, that's all.
No worries.

I don't think he's worried about riding to my expectations. In fact, I don't have any expectations for him. I only hope he does the right thing for himself. And I also wouldn't be surprised if you and oldAFI were right: I'll never condone some of the bullshit he's done in the past. If he does it again, I won't be pleased and I'd root less for sure.

Point is, he manned up, shook Matthes hand and came on the show. He also didn't make excuses for his previous actions and admitted to depression and douchbaggery. I find it hard to continue hating on a guy that owns all that. I think it's signs of maturity that could save him yet. But a leopard can't change his spots so you never know.

I think it's like someone trying to kick heroin: they fell into a bad place and are trying to get themselves out. Would it be surprising if they fell back into old patterns? No, but you can't help but want to see them get clean and make something of their lives. If you want to see him shoot up again, we're different kinds of people. So be it.
davistld01
4/17/2014 8:21pm
davistld01 wrote:
I echo most everybody here as I bad mouthed Hanny for his behavior & attitude while I couldn't help but applaud his skills on a motorcycle...

mxjef wrote:
Pretty sure he said he's working towards making a comeback for SX 2015 not the Nationals.
My bad...just relistened to broadcast & you're right. My questions about who might give him another chance still stand. He said Kawasaki is helping him...so, PC...MotoXXX...TwoTwo?
davistld01
4/17/2014 8:25pm
davistld01 wrote:

mxjef wrote:
On second listen, I believe you're right. Heck, my girlfriend says I have "selective hearing" anyway. Laughing

Questions still remain as to who might believe in JH100 enough to put him on a bike. PC? MotoXXX?...TwoTwo?

Post a reply to: Hanny on Pulp

The Latest