Hangtown 150' Jump

mumbles
Fantasy
667th
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2016 8:18pm
I was standing by the landing of that jump all day. In the first practice for the 250 A group, guess who was the first to try it? Austin Forkner. He tried it like three or four times and landed on top of the third jump every time. Nobody else tried in the first 250 A practice. The second 250 A practice I saw Craig try it once and a couple others I can't remember. Thought it was impressive the rookie tried it first.

In the 450 A group most guys were doing it but Bogle was styling in the first practice. Whips, nac nacs. Man he looked good. Then there was Jason Anderson during the races really moving the bike around in the air over that jump. Very impressive.

During the motos, Roczen didn't do it every lap and in the second moto Dungey only did it the last few laps. It didn't really look like it was faster because they were scrubbing the second and third jumps so much.

Most of the 450 guys were landing on the top of the third jump and bouncing off. Only one crash all day there.

I know when I can't make a table top and land on the flat, I feel like the handlebars are going to come out of my hands and I'm only about 10' foot off the ground. I can't imagine landing from the speed and height they are and hanging on.

These guys and the bikes are amazing.
|
mx836
5/24/2016 9:13am
Yup. They'll regret it when two guys collide mid air with another 100' to fly without their bike. No point really. Cool for the fans, but that doesn't concern me.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/24/2016 9:37am
Loved the jump... Keep it...

The Shop

JM485
5/24/2016 9:45am
ML512 wrote:
I'm with ya, seems like everyone who was at the race liked it, and everyone watching from far away on their couch hates it. I even like it being there on practice days, haven't worked up the courage to hit it but it's cool to have the option there.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/24/2016 9:46am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 9:47am
I think it's awesome. It isn't a do or die type jump, riders can simply double it and barely lose any time. Gives the fans a great view to some massive air.

What's crazy to me is how small the step-up at the very top of the hill has become. I remember years ago when I think it was DC doing the track preview for ESPN who hit it pinned on a 125 to clear it. Now guys check up way early so they can make the inside of the corner. Looks like a 65 rider could clear it with ease.
kkawboy14
5/24/2016 9:47am
ML512 wrote:
That jump is awesome! Why would anyone not want it for the Pros?
moto282
5/24/2016 9:58am
ML512 wrote:
Same. Was cool to see the options of going for it or scrubbing it.
shanes
5/24/2016 10:00am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 10:02am
love it , with i had a balls to do it , its the nation championship no vet rider or C rider should be able to do it
BAMX
5/24/2016 10:04am
I have no issue with a jump like that being on a national track for pro day. That being said, I hope that they remove it before the amateurs hit the track.
slipdog
5/24/2016 10:09am
BAMX wrote:
I have no issue with a jump like that being on a national track for pro day. That being said, I hope that they remove it...
I have no issue with a jump like that being on a national track for pro day. That being said, I hope that they remove it before the amateurs hit the track.
It's been there for two years now, but with a better transition so even some C class kids have hit it.
huck
5/24/2016 10:16am
In case some of you have forgotten, Larocco's Leap has been on the circuit for many many years... Big jumps aren't a new thing.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
5/24/2016 10:25am
I loved JT in the pre-race show but when he claimed it was worth 1 sec in a race to clear it vs double it I laughed. Watching the race when a guy would clear it in front of someone doubling it almost no ground was gained. It looked cool from the downside camera angle and gave perspective of how gnarly the jump is but I cringed in the second 450 moto watching people triple it. The downside was rough and solid and most the time even if they "cleared" it they still bounced on the top of the landing.
psychotronBR
Fantasy
1281st
5/24/2016 10:32am
ML512 wrote:
Agreed, had a great time watching riders like Anderson and Bogle clearing that monster!
The Rock
5/24/2016 10:59am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 11:01am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Why?

Some C riders can't turn but they cleared the 150 foot jump. This is beyond insane.

You air fans just don't get it. Keep liking those jumps while the sport keeps getting smaller and smaller due to injuries and cost of entry.

My whole mission is to increase participation and also maintain the health of those already competing hence my positions on safety equipment and jumps.

If this was the 70s and we had a million people buying dirt bikes it be different
huck
5/24/2016 11:03am
kkawboy14 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Why? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/24/136478/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Some C riders can't turn but they cleared the 150 foot jump. This is beyond insane. You air fans just don't get it. Keep...
Why?

Some C riders can't turn but they cleared the 150 foot jump. This is beyond insane.

You air fans just don't get it. Keep liking those jumps while the sport keeps getting smaller and smaller due to injuries and cost of entry.

My whole mission is to increase participation and also maintain the health of those already competing hence my positions on safety equipment and jumps.

If this was the 70s and we had a million people buying dirt bikes it be different
James crashed on a straight part of the track...should we do away with them?
IWreckALot
5/24/2016 11:08am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 11:08am
kkawboy14 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Why? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/24/136478/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Some C riders can't turn but they cleared the 150 foot jump. This is beyond insane. You air fans just don't get it. Keep...
Why?

How many riders have been hurt on the huge jumps like this in MX in recent history? I don't really recall any injuries in these kinds of sections.

SX is a different story.

Huck beat me to it.
IWreckALot
5/24/2016 11:09am
WoodsRacer wrote:
I loved JT in the pre-race show but when he claimed it was worth 1 sec in a race to clear it vs double it I...
I loved JT in the pre-race show but when he claimed it was worth 1 sec in a race to clear it vs double it I laughed. Watching the race when a guy would clear it in front of someone doubling it almost no ground was gained. It looked cool from the downside camera angle and gave perspective of how gnarly the jump is but I cringed in the second 450 moto watching people triple it. The downside was rough and solid and most the time even if they "cleared" it they still bounced on the top of the landing.
Yep, it wasn't quite a second for sure. But there was SOME time there. Just not quite a second.
BAMX
5/24/2016 11:14am
kkawboy14 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Why?

I don't think 150' jumps are smart for tracks with C class riders but that has almost nothing to do with why the sport is where it is. Stagnant wages, a shrinking middle class and the fact that there just aren't as many places to ride are the culprits IMO.
BroFoSho
5/24/2016 11:20am
The Rock wrote:
Why?

Those jumps are fun and will get me out to the track and coming back.
Remove them and I might as well go flat tracking.

Removing those jumps while the sport keeps getting smaller and smaller due to the boring layouts.
gt80rider
5/24/2016 11:23am
huck wrote:
In case some of you have forgotten, Larocco's Leap has been on the circuit for many many years... Big jumps aren't a new thing.
And that's what I have a problem with, the 150 jump was hang towns wanna b leap... now every "national" track thinks they have to have one instead of coming up with something unique to their track...
The Rock
5/24/2016 11:26am
BAMX wrote:
I don't think 150' jumps are smart for tracks with C class riders but that has almost nothing to do with why the sport is where...
I don't think 150' jumps are smart for tracks with C class riders but that has almost nothing to do with why the sport is where it is. Stagnant wages, a shrinking middle class and the fact that there just aren't as many places to ride are the culprits IMO.
I agree with you on the other factors listed but one would have to be in denial not to see a correlation with more jumps more severe injuries and less participation.

BroFoSure please post some videos of you busting out some 120 to 150 footers. Shoot I bet you don't even lift bro :-)
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/24/2016 11:35am
The Rock wrote:
I agree with you on the other factors listed but one would have to be in denial not to see a correlation with more jumps more...
I agree with you on the other factors listed but one would have to be in denial not to see a correlation with more jumps more severe injuries and less participation.

BroFoSure please post some videos of you busting out some 120 to 150 footers. Shoot I bet you don't even lift bro :-)
Hand me someone's 450 and I'd hit it... My current injury came from clipping some bricks on the side of a trail, and I've been hurt way worse in the dumbest ways then ever over a jump of this size.

See Stewart's crash... Baggett's... Stone Edler's... all from choppy sections... not jumps...

At these rider's level, those jumps aren't the danger. Especially one of that build, which was quite safely done. Not do-or-die, and didn't really have to be hit, as the low line was only a click off.
5/24/2016 11:46am
IWreckALot wrote:
How many riders have been hurt on the huge jumps like this in MX in recent history? I don't really recall any injuries in these kinds...
How many riders have been hurt on the huge jumps like this in MX in recent history? I don't really recall any injuries in these kinds of sections.

SX is a different story.

Huck beat me to it.
https://youtu.be/T1soxYT9wyU

The difference in SX is that you never hit a jump longer than maybe 70 feet and never get above third gear. There's that saying "It's not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop." The bigger the jump, the faster the speed, the higher you usually go.
The Rock
5/24/2016 11:50am
gt80rider wrote:
And that's what I have a problem with, the 150 jump was hang towns wanna b leap... now every "national" track thinks they have to have...
And that's what I have a problem with, the 150 jump was hang towns wanna b leap... now every "national" track thinks they have to have one instead of coming up with something unique to their track...
Yeah but according to "everyone" nobody ever gets hurt on big jumps so we're good. (Insert sarcasm emoticon)

Jumps are like discussing politics. Everyone has an opinion and only time will tell how the choices we are making now affect us later. I'm just glad I have gotten the majority of my racing in at 59

Feel sorry for the teenage and younger riders for the sport they're inheriting from a safety/common sense perspective.
Spankey
5/24/2016 11:51am
mumbles wrote:
I was standing by the landing of that jump all day. In the first practice for the 250 A group, guess who was the first to...
I was standing by the landing of that jump all day. In the first practice for the 250 A group, guess who was the first to try it? Austin Forkner. He tried it like three or four times and landed on top of the third jump every time. Nobody else tried in the first 250 A practice. The second 250 A practice I saw Craig try it once and a couple others I can't remember. Thought it was impressive the rookie tried it first.

In the 450 A group most guys were doing it but Bogle was styling in the first practice. Whips, nac nacs. Man he looked good. Then there was Jason Anderson during the races really moving the bike around in the air over that jump. Very impressive.

During the motos, Roczen didn't do it every lap and in the second moto Dungey only did it the last few laps. It didn't really look like it was faster because they were scrubbing the second and third jumps so much.

Most of the 450 guys were landing on the top of the third jump and bouncing off. Only one crash all day there.

I know when I can't make a table top and land on the flat, I feel like the handlebars are going to come out of my hands and I'm only about 10' foot off the ground. I can't imagine landing from the speed and height they are and hanging on.

These guys and the bikes are amazing.
It didn't seem like the guys that were clearing it were doing any better. I mean, if you clear it should there be more reward? Just say'n.
aeffertz
5/24/2016 11:54am
"This jump is awesome!"

-Justin Bogle, pro motocross racer that had to actually ride the track.

"This jump is ruining the sport!"

-Joe Blow, professional bench racer that watches through a TV screen.

Who should I side with? Whistling
JM485
5/24/2016 12:04pm
The Rock wrote:
Why?

I'm thinking it's been a while since you saw a "c class" race, a lot of those guys are going B or even A pace damn near. It's not the beginners crawling through corners that you're thinking of, the run up to that jump is almost non-existant so you better have good corner speed of you're about to go for it. I raced "c class" on amateur day we weren't a bunch of beginners.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/24/2016 12:06pm
BAMX wrote:
I have no issue with a jump like that being on a national track for pro day. That being said, I hope that they remove it...
slipdog wrote:
It's been there for two years now, but with a better transition so even some C class kids have hit it.
That and the feature has been there since at least the 90's, it's just bigger and, more likely the burr here, talked up a lot now since it got a sponsor buy in
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
5/24/2016 12:44pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
I loved JT in the pre-race show but when he claimed it was worth 1 sec in a race to clear it vs double it I...
IWreckALot wrote:
Yep, it wasn't quite a second for sure. But there was SOME time there. Just not quite a second.
Yep, almost no ground gained = SOME. Were talking like 1 to 3 tenths here, maybe.

Post a reply to: Hangtown 150' Jump

The Latest