Hahn's "missed shift"

Edited Date/Time 1/10/2015 8:43am
I keep wondering why Wil Hahn would have been shifting coming into a jump section right out of a turn. Nobody shifts there, especially a factory 450 in Supercross. He said on TW that it "felt like" a missed shift.

My wild guess it was bike failure and he didn't want to say the Monster Energy KXF450 failed. Just a guess, but would he be shifting right here?

|
Frodad78
1/9/2015 11:54am
That sucks...I really wanted to see Will ride the 450 this year. So bummed for him but best wishes on a complete recovery.
1/9/2015 12:03pm
It could have been a missed shift, but if you watch it close you can see his back wheel kick out a little right when he gets on it. Either a rock, or a shallow rut that his wheel didn't set in right.

The Shop

TannerMxer
1/9/2015 12:46pm
Camp332 wrote:
That bike malfunctioned.
I'm with this guy... it just seems like the entire engine locked up. Even missing a shift doesn't cause the front end to drop like that.
Olson
1/9/2015 12:46pm
Mike did a good job steering away from Wil there. And it looks like the bike dives already on the way up the kicker.
Xeno
1/9/2015 12:48pm
I wonder if those bikes have a gear position sensor that reports to the data collector?

Not that it matters much at this point. Get well soon, Wilbur!
Torco1
1/9/2015 12:49pm
That's very similar to what I did when I got hurt pretty bad earlier this year.......I was on a pretty big jump though. I still have no idea what caused it......I thought it had to of been a bike issue but when I went through my entire bike while I was on the mend I didn't find anything that would've cause that. My other guesses are I hit a false neutral or I accidentally stepped on the rear brake right when I was leaving the face of the jump. I had just put a new aftermarket rear brake assembly and a new shifter on my bike so it's very possible that I stepped on one or the other accidentally because I wasn't used to the new set-up yet.
1/9/2015 12:54pm
Torco1 wrote:
That's very similar to what I did when I got hurt pretty bad earlier this year.......I was on a pretty big jump though. I still have...
That's very similar to what I did when I got hurt pretty bad earlier this year.......I was on a pretty big jump though. I still have no idea what caused it......I thought it had to of been a bike issue but when I went through my entire bike while I was on the mend I didn't find anything that would've cause that. My other guesses are I hit a false neutral or I accidentally stepped on the rear brake right when I was leaving the face of the jump. I had just put a new aftermarket rear brake assembly and a new shifter on my bike so it's very possible that I stepped on one or the other accidentally because I wasn't used to the new set-up yet.
how did your hip implants do after your wreck? That was some nasty-sounding shit.
1/9/2015 1:00pm
maybe its the way he HIT that corner, got his foot on the peg and hit neutral accidentally
RedRum666
1/9/2015 1:04pm
Man, that looked like it hurt.....body just pummled into the dirt and he bounces back the other direction....he's lucky those vertebre werent as bad as it could of been.....mishift or not.....just a bad deal
Grizz
1/9/2015 1:39pm
Camp332 wrote:
That bike malfunctioned.
TannerMxer wrote:
I'm with this guy... it just seems like the entire engine locked up. Even missing a shift doesn't cause the front end to drop like that.
If you're carrying that much momentum it does, believe me.

But OP is right, on a 450 I doubt he would shift there. So maybe he bumped it on accident and hit neutral.
moscrop940
1/9/2015 2:30pm
I place my money on a motor malfunction or a false neutral.

We all have missed a shift off a 20 foot double, usually we just end up sucking on the cross bar pad looking like a goon, nothing like what we see in the video.

And its not that I don't trust wilburs word, its just if there was a problem with the machine, obviously Kawasaki would not want it out there that they ruined a guys year in the first practice of the first race.
peelout
1/9/2015 2:31pm
he fell for the banana in the tail pipe
1/9/2015 2:36pm
Josh Hansen blatantly had transmission problems in practice but when talking about it in the latest episode of HANNY he just says "bike trouble". No professional rider is going to throw their sponsors under the bus, even if it did end his season before it even started.
Skippie
1/9/2015 2:41pm
Josh Hansen blatantly had transmission problems in practice but when talking about it in the latest episode of HANNY he just says "bike trouble". No professional...
Josh Hansen blatantly had transmission problems in practice but when talking about it in the latest episode of HANNY he just says "bike trouble". No professional rider is going to throw their sponsors under the bus, even if it did end his season before it even started.
I heard it was more then tranny problems, something to do with the wiring and ignition as well I believe.
Torco1
1/9/2015 2:48pm
Torco1 wrote:
That's very similar to what I did when I got hurt pretty bad earlier this year.......I was on a pretty big jump though. I still have...
how did your hip implants do after your wreck? That was some nasty-sounding shit.
Surprisingly, my hip that has the replacement has held together very well through all my bad crashes. That's almost always the very first thing I say to the ER docs.....I ask them to x-ray my hip to make sure its still alright. About 7 or 8 years ago I had another really bad crash where I broke my T7, ribs, sternum, collarbone, collapsed both lungs, tore my spleen and liver and more shit.......again, my hip came out of that one unscathed. I have it looked at every year or so and it still looks perfectly fine, no noticeable wear or loosening. I really thought I would never ride again when I had the replacement surgery, but it's been over 10 years now and I couldn't be happier with it.
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
1/9/2015 3:55pm
I always wondered if a Rekluse clutch would prevent crashes when engines lockup. Or animals gone bad.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/9/2015 5:11pm
peelout wrote:
I'll take that answer over some of the others.

Where were you conspiracy theorists during the Kennedy assassination? Blink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/9/2015 5:15pm
Holy crap, Torco! Did you get the hip replacements from an MX crash too?? Blink
1/9/2015 5:34pm
peelout wrote:
GuyB wrote:

What's your opinion, GuyB? You allowed to say?

There is no way he shifted there, and very unlikely he tapped the shifter.
Maybe the story of Hanny's, Reed's and Hahn's MonKaw bike troubles are worth looking into. Probably not.
Trent179
1/9/2015 5:47pm
I'm betting he bumped a neutral by accident. I know when I've done it before the bike goes straight into a front flip.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/9/2015 6:09pm
What's your opinion, GuyB? You allowed to say? There is no way he shifted there, and very unlikely he tapped the shifter. Maybe the story of...

Maybe the story of Hanny's, Reed's and Hahn's MonKaw bike troubles are worth looking into. Probably not.
Allowed? Really? Of course I'm allowed.

I'd guess that he hit neutral.

New bike, likely new boots at the season-opener.
Skippie
1/9/2015 6:20pm
What's your opinion, GuyB? You allowed to say? There is no way he shifted there, and very unlikely he tapped the shifter. Maybe the story of...

How is it unlikely he tapped the shifter? He was coming out of a left hand turn with his left (shifting foot) off the pegs. He had a short distance from the exit of that corner and that first jump, my guess is when he went to put his foot back on (with boots that were most likely not very broken in) he tapped the shifter and bumped it down to neutral (assuming he was in 2nd gear). With new boots I can't tell you how many times I've misshifted, doesn't seem to far fetched to me.
Jeff alessi
1/9/2015 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2015 6:46pm
From the looks of it, he hit the corner straitened up and had a little distance before the lip. In that case and the situation from what I see is he clicked a gear because he ran out just 3 feet before the lip and it mishifted. That's what happens when u go for a gear so close to the lip, I have no doubt that it was a mishift because I've done that quite a few times trying to go for a gear right before a transition. Looking at the section you gotta hit it the slow way if u don't hit the corner a gear higher before entering, he went for the shift which u don't do. Now if that had been a triple out of the corner he would of been able to keep it tapped while sitting down but because he was in that low gear and only doubling he probably wanted to shift up to keep the bike in the right rpm's and also keep forward momentum and when u do that right in a sharp transition bikes mishift and you can see that happened when the front end dropped so dramatically. I won't rule out a tranny failure because that happened to me when I broke my feet on a Ktm but I was also coming out of a corner in low gear trying a big big jump that loaded the transmission heavily, I wasn't just doing a 12 foot double ya know.
bish153
1/9/2015 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2015 6:59pm
peelout wrote:
GuyB wrote:

How are you so sure he wasn't shifting up there? Were you not shifting out of the corner right before the take off?
mjskier
1/9/2015 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2015 7:32pm
One of my co-worker augered into the whoops and broke his back (luckily for him, no spine damage)
He thought he had missed a shift (he usually jumps the first 2, then shifted in the air)
but when they took the motor apart they found that the tranny had failed and locked up.

I'm sure that at the pro level they inspect everything, but how easy would it be for a defective part to show no issue with just a visual inspection?
Regis
Fantasy
340th
1/9/2015 7:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2015 8:45pm
San Diego SX 2001

I did the same exact thing in the day qualifier. I was in a "false" gear and popped out while seat bouncing. Thankfully, I made it over the second jump cleanly while flipping and didn't get pile drove. Happened so damn fast, I still don't know exactly what happened.

That was back n the 125 days when we doubled out of corners and didn't seat bounce triple 30', 5 feet out of the corner. LOL.

I can see this as a mis shift or popping into low gear and getting massive wheel spin causing a seat bounce "unload" at the wrong time. Clearly he didn't have the normal drive out of the corner or he would have cleared the third jump.

Poor guy. Such a bummer.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/9/2015 8:32pm
Regis wrote:
San Diego SX 2001 I did the same exact thing in the day qualifier. I was in a "false" gear and popped out while seat bouncing...
San Diego SX 2001

I did the same exact thing in the day qualifier. I was in a "false" gear and popped out while seat bouncing. Thankfully, I made it over the second jump cleanly while flipping and didn't get pile drove. Happened so damn fast, I still don't know exactly what happened.

That was back n the 125 days when we doubled out of corners and didn't seat bounce triple 30', 5 feet out of the corner. LOL.

I can see this as a mis shift or popping into low gear and getting massive wheel spin causing a seat bounce "unload" at the wrong time. Clearly he didn't have the normal drive out of the corner or he would have cleared the third jump.

Poor guy. Such a bummer.
Yep...and for the engine failure conspiracy theory guys, the bike was ridden back to the pits.

Post a reply to: Hahn's "missed shift"

The Latest