Had an idea for notifying lapped riders.

Hank_Thrill
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 6:07pm
It would be expensive, and I doubt something like this would happen, unless the right people were pushing it. The idea would take a lot of convincing, but I think it could for the most part solve the lapped rider problem once and for all. I figure if the AMA can spend money putting electronic lap time devices on the bikes, than they can do this.

The idea: Attach some kind of small radio frequency device into the ear pocket/cavity of the riders helmets. Instead of only having flaggers wave blue flags, have some people in a tower that can sound some sort of alarm, buzz, pitch, noise, etc. that would notify the riders they are being lapped. I only imagine this being used when leaders battling for position are coming through like the blue flags now.

I figure some of these lappers are in the zone and just don't see the blue flag for whatever reason. I think the main problem (keep in mind I'm not a professional motocross rider who deals with being lapped), is that the lapped riders obviously don't know if its a leader coming from behind, or a fellow competitor battling for position. Since riders obviously can't run rear view mirrors, or have the need for a a set of goggles on the back of their helmets, this type of alarm system would notify the rider they are being lapped. To get even more technical with the idea. The AMA could establish a standard distant limit, like say, sound the alarm when the leaders are 40 feet behind, etc. Or even have two radio signals inside the helmet, and signal which side the leaders are passing on.

Just a thought... Of course they would need to do testing on different sounds. You obviously would want something that is detectable, as well as something that won't give the riders a migraine on the track.

|
ridge
3/14/2010 12:45am
LOL
Cory976
3/14/2010 1:02am
Just say they need a "Spotter" like in NASACAR. Someone TELLING them "Go Right, the 2 and 5 are coming up behind you". A buzzer would rattle them too much.
ridge
3/14/2010 1:28am
Cory976 wrote:
Just say they need a "Spotter" like in NASACAR. Someone TELLING them "Go Right, the 2 and 5 are coming up behind you". A buzzer would...
Just say they need a "Spotter" like in NASACAR. Someone TELLING them "Go Right, the 2 and 5 are coming up behind you". A buzzer would rattle them too much.
I don't know, that might be too difficult to get into every helmet for every rider who qualifies for a main event.

What about a guy wearing a super bright yellow vest, vigorously waving a super bright blue flag in the lappers' faces?

Smile

The Shop

crf250pilot
3/14/2010 1:34am
ridge wrote:
LOL
lostboy819 wrote:
x2
X3! better yet, let's just attach an electronic thottle cutoff like they do with the gocarts at the fun parks
ridge
3/14/2010 1:39am
X3! better yet, let's just attach an electronic thottle cutoff like they do with the gocarts at the fun parks
Or how about a tether? Exept for MA... he's still attached to AAA by the umbilical cord.

Ouch. I'm sorry. So wrong.
FIREfish148
3/14/2010 3:06am
this is a problem for real though... anyone who passes in a battle when the leaders are coming by should get penalized a position.
idk about the buzzer in the ear piece that might be kind of frieghtening to the rider.
maybe they should hire a group of 50 mexicans to solve it. they always find a way to get shit done. lol just kiddin.
motogrady
3/14/2010 4:52am

Quit whining and run, lappers have always been, and will always be.

How about this.

You get lapped, you're out. Pull off.
jtomasik
3/14/2010 4:56am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:23pm
Radio controlled by the flaggers. Level 6 for the ones who just can't seem to get it...

Admit it. My idea is much more fun. And, it'd probably increase ticket sales.
3/14/2010 6:03am
I've got a better idea:

What about a blue flag that can be waived to notify riders they are about to be lapped. This will change the sport forever.
88sdad
3/14/2010 6:20am
jtomasik wrote:
Radio controlled by the flaggers. Level 6 for the ones who just can't seem to get it... Admit it. My idea is much more fun. And...
Radio controlled by the flaggers. Level 6 for the ones who just can't seem to get it...

One of the boys did this with my Dad's, dog's shock collar. He did 3-4 times, it was hilarious.
3/14/2010 6:44am
lmao.
but radios in the helmet would be awesome. it would give speed more to show. listen in on teams. blah blah blah, too expensive for privateers. yea, well so is going from daytona to canada, to dallas.
never happen. well keep dreaming i guess. and the monkeys will keep doing, well, whatever it is the ama and feld do.
wardy
3/14/2010 6:53am
I think that "pro" racers should have radio communication with the pits. Pit boards just suck, and looks un professional.

now no way should the "mini dads" of the world be able to have them in Amatuer.

Nikhil
3/14/2010 7:42am
I had thought of something like this, except with a red light on the handlebars instead of a buzzer. Whenever a leader is within, say 25 feet, of a lapper, the light could go off, indicating to them to move to the side.
jtomasik
3/14/2010 7:49am
It'd sound strange, but probably the best idea yet:

Void Main
3/14/2010 8:27am
motogrady wrote:

Quit whining and run, lappers have always been, and will always be.

How about this.

I like it. I was thinking rather than making them pull off you shoot them with paint ball guns.
Cygnus
3/14/2010 8:41am
I like the lappers. A good rider might have a problem with them but a great rider it doesn't matter .
Flatliner
3/14/2010 8:49am
Cygnus wrote:
I like the lappers. A good rider might have a problem with them but a great rider it doesn't matter .
stroupe is a great rider and he was stuck behind one at the end of the race for a half lap.

You guys all laugh but these guys not moving over is a problem that has to be looked at.
Geneffy
3/14/2010 9:15am
Sniper in the stands - problem solved!

Opens up more spots on factory teams when their riders are out with a GSW....
Bigjimmyd
3/14/2010 9:26am
How about a big blue wrecking ball that would just knock em out of the way!
chuck317
3/14/2010 9:42am
passing the lappers is sometimes the only exciting part of the race.
ab5772
3/14/2010 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:23pm
jtomasik wrote:
Radio controlled by the flaggers. Level 6 for the ones who just can't seem to get it... Admit it. My idea is much more fun. And...

Outsider
3/14/2010 2:21pm
Geneffy wrote:

RocketLab
3/14/2010 2:26pm
chuck317 wrote:
passing the lappers is sometimes the only exciting part of the race.
this!
ridge
3/14/2010 2:33pm
Geneffy wrote:

Outsider wrote:
[img]http://www.keepshooting.com/productimages/ammunition/shotgun/rubber-bullets-12-gauge-for-sale-ammo-3b.jpg[/img]
I literally lol'd at the factory spots becomming available...and then again at the solution. Not a fake one where I smile and say I lol'd, but for reals.
flarider
3/14/2010 3:01pm
I think it's awesome when a lapped rider uses their being lapped as an opportunity to pass the rider in front of them who's giving way to the faster riders.

Until that is addressed, it's all bullshit
XBUTCHX
3/14/2010 3:08pm
It would be expensive, and I doubt something like this would happen, unless the right people were pushing it. The idea would take a lot of...
It would be expensive, and I doubt something like this would happen, unless the right people were pushing it. The idea would take a lot of convincing, but I think it could for the most part solve the lapped rider problem once and for all. I figure if the AMA can spend money putting electronic lap time devices on the bikes, than they can do this.

The idea: Attach some kind of small radio frequency device into the ear pocket/cavity of the riders helmets. Instead of only having flaggers wave blue flags, have some people in a tower that can sound some sort of alarm, buzz, pitch, noise, etc. that would notify the riders they are being lapped. I only imagine this being used when leaders battling for position are coming through like the blue flags now.

I figure some of these lappers are in the zone and just don't see the blue flag for whatever reason. I think the main problem (keep in mind I'm not a professional motocross rider who deals with being lapped), is that the lapped riders obviously don't know if its a leader coming from behind, or a fellow competitor battling for position. Since riders obviously can't run rear view mirrors, or have the need for a a set of goggles on the back of their helmets, this type of alarm system would notify the rider they are being lapped. To get even more technical with the idea. The AMA could establish a standard distant limit, like say, sound the alarm when the leaders are 40 feet behind, etc. Or even have two radio signals inside the helmet, and signal which side the leaders are passing on.

Just a thought... Of course they would need to do testing on different sounds. You obviously would want something that is detectable, as well as something that won't give the riders a migraine on the track.

I think it would be cool if the flagers had paintball guns , and shoot at the lappers as the come around!
DanDunes818
3/14/2010 3:57pm
I would love it if I was fast enough to be a lapper on a SX main event.

Post a reply to: Had an idea for notifying lapped riders.

The Latest