Great post by Tony Blazier

Dx3moto
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 10:18am
Well said, Tony.

In the formative years of my youth , no man better represented style on motocross bike than Axton Virginia's David Bailey. Perfectly dressed, never a elbow down or wheel out of place, David was epitome of perfection on a motorcycle. He made taming a 60 horsepower monster look like child's play and dissected treacherous Supercross tracks like a two wheeled surgeon. He was a joy to behold and a great role model for any kid hoping to someday race in the big leagues. When David was hurt before the '87 season, it was like Superman had fallen. The man that never made a mistake was down and all of us were reminded of the terrible toll this sport can take. Only two years before, Danny Chandler had suffered a similar fate and he and David would not be the last. Over the years, many have fallen to the sport we love. Some paralyzed like David, some worse. Today, these hits come even faster and harder, as the interconnection of social media makes every injury and loss so much more personal. In David's day, we only heard about the stars, now we all feel the loss any time a family endures a tragedy like what happened at Freestone. In spite of these tragedies, it is important to realize that life is an gift, and best way to show the appreciation for that gift is to embrace it and live it too the fullest. Motocross is a passion, one that can reward and punish in equal measure. For those of us who ride, it is equation that must be weighed every time we sling a leg over that machine. Most of time, we come out ahead, but once and a while, things go wrong. Motocross is a dangerous game, and even the most talented among us can fall victim to its peril. In spite of this bitter reality, we love it. Riding provides a thrill and freedom few who have not thrown a leg over a bike can understand. Sometimes, that risk can seem like a high price to pay, but for those of us who love it, not doing so would be an even higher price to pay.

A photo posted by Tony Blazier (@tonyblazier) on Mar 27, 2015 at 5:23pm PDT

|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
3/27/2015 6:32pm
That was cool, thanks for posting.
Tbteam
3/27/2015 7:14pm
Excellent commentary, Tony.

The story of David's career, as well as his years after his injury really need to be put out as a book. I've never met anyone with a memory like David's. He is a living encyclopedia of early and modern motocross.

brlatm
3/27/2015 7:17pm
Bailey was the epitome of cool. His style on a bike was just so flawless.
3/27/2015 7:28pm
Certainly one of the few and rare examples of someone who had a unique and different approach than the normal pin it, aggressive, hang it out style that is more typical. To liken him to a surgeon on two wheels barely serves justice.

The Shop

motomike137
3/27/2015 8:14pm
I'll never forget when David was injured. It was a very sobering moment for a young moto fan. The Big Red Machine was rolling in those days and it was hard not to be a Honda fan. Another piece of trivia is that he was called in to action on very short notice to sub for Donny Hansen who was injured practicing in Europe for the Motocross and Trophy Des Nations. Donny really never returned to form after his head injury. I didn't look at MX through such rose colored glasses after those events.
Tbteam
3/28/2015 4:25am
One clarification:

Your last sentence: "Sometimes, that risk can seem like a steep price to pay, but for those of us who love it, not doing so would be an even greater sacrifice."

I understand where you're going with that comment, but you're wrong. If you have to live with it, every day, that statement is just flowery words. Don't get me wrong, I get the emotion you're conveying, but you're just wrong.

Early after the injury, I'm sure DB was quoted somewhere saying that he "wouldn't go back and change anything" or something similar. Now, nearly thirty years later, with great clarity, he would change everything. If David had it to do all over again, his life would have taken a different path. I'm sure of it from conversations that we've had.

This doesn't take away form your very much appreciated post about DB and his talent as a rider and a person. I just wanted to set it straight that the price IS too steep, and it altered his, and many other peoples lives forever.
3/28/2015 4:28am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 4:45am
Honda had the top talent back then and took three serious hits with those injuries.

Magoo was always a wildman, but Hansen and Bailey, especially Bailey, was so in control and smooth. If there was ever one person that you least expected a big injury to happen to it would be Bailey.

I had the opportunity to meet and briefly talk with Bailey on several occasions and he was such a cool guy with the average joe fans.

Blasting through the Vegas airport one year before the SX and he was sitting in his wheelchair outside with nobody around waiting on transportation. I still kick myself thinking about a missed opportunity to stop and talk with a true legend one more time.

At his.peak he was simply the best in all aspects and Honda and his sponsors couldn't have asked for a better representative.

He's still a stud today and I can't help but think that having him on the team was a major factor in elevating the rest of the Honda team to their dominance during that period.

hellion
3/28/2015 5:48am
The problem is that kids up until a certain age are unable to weigh those risks correctly as they have no understanding of how fragile this life really is. Thus, it should be our responsibility to try to keep them as safe as we can. That, to me, would mean riding nothing bigger than a 125 until at least the age of 16, possibly even 18. Ideally, in my world, the 125 class would be brought back to a national championship level class. What happens to the bigger class is less significant to me. Just make sure that a rider has three years experience at least on a 125 first before he can move up. By then he should be old enough and skilled enough and mature enough to ride any size bike capably.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
3/28/2015 8:21am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2015 8:25am
Just to clarify something, Bailey didn't crash because he made a mistake, like most of these catastrophic crashes were , he crashed because he made a bad choice. Bailey wanted to win more then anything and was testing the waters, and I'm sure if he had to do it over, he would've made a different choice.
Tumblin
3/28/2015 9:33am
Well said Tony. I'm getting the Tbteam also...it's too great of a cost to pursue unattained speed. I'm glad I've survived those years of chasing our moto dream. I am also glad I can still head out to a track and ride it well (for an old guy) on my 450. When I feel the need to try unattained 57 year old speed - it'll be through the turns on my 125.
MtnBoy
3/28/2015 10:02am
I'm with TBteam, the price IS too high.

I've lost 3 close friends to this sport in recent years, the pain that brings can't be washed away by anything....and when I think about them, the last thing I want to do is go riding....but that's just me.

I didn't know Tyler Hoeft myself, but I do remember his dad racing WORCS and seeing some little guys running around their pits (this was about 6-8 years ago), the thought that one of those little boys is now gone forever because of this sport we all love, literally makes me sick.
A. DLeary
3/28/2015 10:18am
UpTiTe wrote:
Just to clarify something, Bailey didn't crash because he made a mistake, like most of these catastrophic crashes were , he crashed because he made a...
Just to clarify something, Bailey didn't crash because he made a mistake, like most of these catastrophic crashes were , he crashed because he made a bad choice. Bailey wanted to win more then anything and was testing the waters, and I'm sure if he had to do it over, he would've made a different choice.
You don't consider a bad choice to be a mistake?

Post a reply to: Great post by Tony Blazier

The Latest