Grasping at straws here

mxracer317
Edited Date/Time 12/28/2019 2:26pm
Hey guys... I know the back story behind this photo between the lawyers, etc... But I'm really trying to get my hands on a copy of this iconic Oakley poster of Ricky Carmichael or even a picture (minus the Oakley logo if necessary).

Does anybody know the photographers name that shot it or how to get in contact with him?

Even better would be if anybody has a mint copy of this poster they be willing to sell me?

It's a long shot but I thought this would be the best place to inquire!

|
h&m_cycle
2/10/2016 6:25pm
Yes... what is the story? Is it a good story to read before bed time?
kkawboy14
2/10/2016 6:27pm
I'm not going to bed but you could tell me anyway!
mxracer317
2/10/2016 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 6:33pm
Per Racer X: "Probably the most famous—or certainly the most notorious—was the Oakley billboard that also went up in Southern California back in the late nineties featuring then-rising star Ricky Carmichael doing a massive whip at the 1997 St. Louis 125 Supercross. The billboard made for a unique cover for the old newspaper version of Racer X Illustrated, shot by Chris Hultner.

The problem with the billboard was the fact that it was shot by a part-time photographer who did not have a press pass for the event—he shot it from the stands. He later apparently handed the picture to Chad Watts, then Carmichael's mechanic at Splitfire/Pro Circuit Kawasaki, who in turn let Johnny O'Mara—RC's coach and an Oakley goggle man—take the photo back to work. From there it ended up on the billboard, and later a bunch of very cool Oakley posters. When the photographer spotted his image on the billboard and posters, he wanted a sizable royalty, even though he apparently wasn't allowed to sell images from the event he’d attended, as printed on the back of every SX event ticket back then.... Lawyers got involved and it was downhill from there for everyone but Ricky. He just kept winning and winning and winning."

The Shop

hvaughn88
2/10/2016 6:43pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Per Racer X: "Probably the most famous—or certainly the most notorious—was the Oakley billboard that also went up in Southern California back in the late nineties...
Per Racer X: "Probably the most famous—or certainly the most notorious—was the Oakley billboard that also went up in Southern California back in the late nineties featuring then-rising star Ricky Carmichael doing a massive whip at the 1997 St. Louis 125 Supercross. The billboard made for a unique cover for the old newspaper version of Racer X Illustrated, shot by Chris Hultner.

The problem with the billboard was the fact that it was shot by a part-time photographer who did not have a press pass for the event—he shot it from the stands. He later apparently handed the picture to Chad Watts, then Carmichael's mechanic at Splitfire/Pro Circuit Kawasaki, who in turn let Johnny O'Mara—RC's coach and an Oakley goggle man—take the photo back to work. From there it ended up on the billboard, and later a bunch of very cool Oakley posters. When the photographer spotted his image on the billboard and posters, he wanted a sizable royalty, even though he apparently wasn't allowed to sell images from the event he’d attended, as printed on the back of every SX event ticket back then.... Lawyers got involved and it was downhill from there for everyone but Ricky. He just kept winning and winning and winning."
Thanks for posting that. I never knew about that
mxracer317
2/10/2016 6:49pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Per Racer X: "Probably the most famous—or certainly the most notorious—was the Oakley billboard that also went up in Southern California back in the late nineties...

hvaughn88 wrote:
Thanks for posting that. I never knew about that
You're welcome! If anyone knows how I can get in contact with the original photographer or a way to get my hands on a poster that would be amazing.
2/10/2016 6:57pm
couldn't you take that pic to a print shop on a flash drive and have them make you one? somebody should be able to do something like that I'd imagine.
2/10/2016 7:16pm
Collectively, there seems to be a shit ton of pull here on Vital. Both directly from certain members themselves, or from dudes who know dudes. I'm willing to bet this post finds its way to the right person. Not promising you a poster, but if nothing else, more insight than you started with

newmann
2/10/2016 7:20pm
couldn't you take that pic to a print shop on a flash drive and have them make you one? somebody should be able to do something...
couldn't you take that pic to a print shop on a flash drive and have them make you one? somebody should be able to do something like that I'd imagine.
Too small of a file to blow up to poster size. Took me almost two years to get a good file for a 20x30 print of the Namur classic from Roddy McCleod and it looks really really good at the top of the staircase in the garage.
mxracer317
2/10/2016 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 7:49pm
couldn't you take that pic to a print shop on a flash drive and have them make you one? somebody should be able to do something...
newmann wrote:
Too small of a file to blow up to poster size. Took me almost two years to get a good file for a 20x30 print of...
Too small of a file to blow up to poster size. Took me almost two years to get a good file for a 20x30 print of the Namur classic from Roddy McCleod and it looks really really good at the top of the staircase in the garage.
I am optimistic as well that with the collective force of dudes that know dudes, we can find the original photographer and figure something out. This photo is too classic to die because of silly red tape. Shoot this picture is almost 20 years old.

I plan on blowing it up to 3' x 6' or whatever dimensions are realistic and framing it for my office. The image is just too small and what makes this image even better is the FULL version. That is the true picture that I'm after!
mxracer317
2/10/2016 7:49pm
The crazy thing is I can't even find the NAME of the photographer!
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/10/2016 7:50pm
newmann wrote:
Too small of a file to blow up to poster size. Took me almost two years to get a good file for a 20x30 print of...
mxracer317 wrote:
I am optimistic as well that with the collective force of dudes that know dudes, we can find the original photographer and figure something out. This...
I am optimistic as well that with the collective force of dudes that know dudes, we can find the original photographer and figure something out. This photo is too classic to die because of silly red tape. Shoot this picture is almost 20 years old.

I plan on blowing it up to 3' x 6' or whatever dimensions are realistic and framing it for my office. The image is just too small and what makes this image even better is the FULL version. That is the true picture that I'm after!
I also want to do this. Please let me know what you find out
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
2/10/2016 7:52pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Chris Hultner.
mxracer317
2/10/2016 7:58pm
mxracer317 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
Chris Hultner.
Chris Hultner shot the cover for Racer X of this image blown up on a billboard.

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
2/10/2016 8:11pm
Yeah, I miss read that one. Pinch
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
2/10/2016 8:17pm
I had one of those posters in the garage for years.....it was around 8' long....3' tall. After 3-4 moves it was looking pretty ratty so it hit the dumpster about a year ago. Seem to remember getting it from a local shop in Oregon that has it hanging in the parts dept.
Igy
2/10/2016 8:19pm

Not what you are looking for, but here's the RacerX...

ventpiece125
2/10/2016 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 8:54pm
I have a signed copy that was giving to me by my Oakley rep back in 97-98. Its still one of the coolest moto pics out there for sure. Unfortunately I'm not interested in getting rid of it but could take some high res pics and maybe you could get it reprinted. Just a thought if you don't end up finding one for sale.

mxracer317
2/10/2016 8:34pm
I have a signed copy that was giving to me by my Oakley rep back in 97-98. Its still one of the coolest moto pics out...
I have a signed copy that was giving to me by my Oakley rep back in 97-98. Its still one of the coolest moto pics out there for sure. Unfortunately I'm not interested in getting rid of it but could take some high res pics and maybe you could get it reprinted. Just a thought if you don't end up finding one for sale.

Wow!!! That would be amazing! I would even pay to have it professionally scanned and compensate you for the help!!

Does anyone on here know the least invasive way to get that done? NEWMAN?

P.S. Love that helmet mount. Where did you get it?
early
Fantasy
2212th
2/10/2016 8:40pm
I have a signed copy that was giving to me by my Oakley rep back in 97-98. Its still one of the coolest moto pics out...

Damn! Thats a badass poster!
FWYT
2/10/2016 8:41pm
Drag.
I was always wondering if that "no commercial photography blah blah" on the ticket had
been challenged. Guess so. Sad
FWYT
2/10/2016 8:43pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Wow!!! That would be amazing! I would even pay to have it professionally scanned and compensate you for the help!! Does anyone on here know the...
Wow!!! That would be amazing! I would even pay to have it professionally scanned and compensate you for the help!!

Least invasive and best way would be to contact Hultner.
mxracer317
2/10/2016 8:47pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Wow!!! That would be amazing! I would even pay to have it professionally scanned and compensate you for the help!! Does anyone on here know the...

FWYT wrote:
Least invasive and best way would be to contact Hultner.
Chris didn't take that photo. He took the photo for the front cover of RXI driving down the interstate where the billboard was.

Easiest way is if anyone knows the original photog of the picture.
FWYT
2/10/2016 8:50pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Chris didn't take that photo. He took the photo for the front cover of RXI driving down the interstate where the billboard was. Easiest way is...
Chris didn't take that photo. He took the photo for the front cover of RXI driving down the interstate where the billboard was.

Ah, pardon. Misread it.
mxracer317
2/10/2016 8:52pm
mxracer317 wrote:
Chris didn't take that photo. He took the photo for the front cover of RXI driving down the interstate where the billboard was. Easiest way is...

FWYT wrote:
Ah, pardon. Misread it.
All good brotha! The fact that you want to help is what is appreciated!
FWYT
2/10/2016 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2016 9:01pm
Hey, a thought . . . maybe resident council FTE knows how to search the legal records . . .
if this hoopla went to litigation or whatever, the names are recorded somewhere. Added
plus is that FTE is a damn fine photographer himself and might find it interesting to
snoop a little.

Or someone MUST know a long time art director at Oakley.

Or DC would have a lead.

One issue is for sure the photographer won't be jumping up and down saying
"I'll sell you a print!!" because he probably had to sign bullshit papers.
(Speaking from experience on that one. Smile I ridiculed some local artwork
years ago and the owners got PISSED OFF hahahhahhaha )
ventpiece125
2/10/2016 9:13pm

Here is a close-up of the autograph as well. It's mounted on a foam backing board so I'm not sure how scanning it would work. Obviously I don't want there to be any issues with copying anything but like somebody said in an earlier post it has been almost 20 years so and who knows if getting a copy is even a viable option. I wouldn't want anything in return I have just always loved the picture and thought it was cool to see this pop up.

These are the only markings on the entire photo so I would be leaning towards Oakley having the rights to it.

ventpiece125
2/10/2016 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2019 9:53pm
Hopefully nobody takes this the wrong way, I would never want to take money out of someone's pocket if they were currently selling them. I'm just simply saying if it is a bunch of dead ends it would be a shame not to share such a cool part of Supercross and Carmichael's past. It was such an iconic picture at the time and a big step to see it on a billboard is all.

Post a reply to: Grasping at straws here

The Latest