Good advert for chest & back protectors?

robkinuk
7/23/2014 4:35am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 2:13pm
Check out this photo of British MX2 Champion Elliot Banks Browne's back and he had a fall practising and got landed on trapped under bikes rear wheel with throttle pinned.
A very painful lesson to always suit up and wear son form of back/chest protector!
|
The Rock
7/23/2014 9:23am
Yeah but I am sure he is thankful he wasn't wearing any back protection since they're so uncomfortable. (insert sarcasm emoticon)
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 9:30am
The Rock wrote:
Yeah but I am sure he is thankful he wasn't wearing any back protection since they're so uncomfortable. (insert sarcasm emoticon)
I find it comical you seem to be on the forefront of protection and mandatory chest protectors and then in another thread you talk about skipping on a helmet because of price and the fact you "don't go fast enough to get a concussion"

Spagina767
7/23/2014 9:47am
The Rock wrote:
Regis wrote:
I find it comical you seem to be on the forefront of protection and mandatory chest protectors and then in another thread you talk about skipping...
I find it comical you seem to be on the forefront of protection and mandatory chest protectors and then in another thread you talk about skipping on a helmet because of price and the fact you "don't go fast enough to get a concussion"

Man it's a good thing you're here to police him on it...
The Rock
7/23/2014 9:50am
Regis wrote:
I find it comical you seem to be on the forefront of protection and mandatory chest protectors and then in another thread you talk about skipping...

Would you like my address so you can send me the extra 300 dollars I will need for the 6D? If not please STFU Regis....seriously.

The Shop

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/23/2014 9:50am
The Rock wrote:
Regis wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:
I'm with Regis.... Pick a side and go with it man
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 9:57am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:05am
Regis wrote:

The Rock wrote:
Would you like my address so you can send me the extra 300 dollars I will need for the 6D? If not please STFU Regis....seriously.
Captain mandatory chest protector complaining about $300 to have his head and telling me to STFU? That is funny. How about you don't ride until you can save up for a good helmet? I am all for safety, your constant calls for safety and then calling riders out, have been a bit too much IMO, but whatever. Until you posted about your helmet.

How about, even though YOU don't go fast enough to get a concussion (lamest excuse EVER btw) the guy that is going to potentially LAND on you can give you one? Or the guy that is going to run into you when you are down could also. If you trail ride, a tree could do it at 3 mph....

You preach safety, safety safety and then you post something like this? hypocrisy at its finest. I thought it was funny and figured I would call you out. No biggie, It's all in fun and bench racing.

The Rock
7/23/2014 9:59am
I have already picked a side and will let someone else pick up the PEOPLE SHOULD ONLY BUY 6D HELMETS campaign.

Regarding my comment . don't go fast enough to get a concussion" I guess my "need a sun dial to take my lap times" comment wasn't enough of a clue that I was being self deprecating with the "don't go fast enough" comment.

Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:00am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:06am
The Rock wrote:
Regis wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:
Im not policing anyone.

To each their own. Just an observation. Settle down post patrol.
Spagina767
7/23/2014 10:04am
Regis wrote:

Spagina767 wrote:
MxKing809 wrote:
Apples to oranges.

The guy simply stated he didn't think he went fast enough to need a $700+ helmet

He didn't say that he goes too slow to need a helmet AT ALL.

So, the conversation regarding chest protector vs none, isn't close to the same thing. Not to mention chest protectors are cheap: he could get a bell Moto 9, a chest protector, and then put money towards knee braces before he could buy a 6D...

Just my .02
The Rock
7/23/2014 10:05am
Regis wrote:
Im not policing anyone.

To each their own. Just an observation. Settle down post patrol.
Settle down post patrol.? Pot calling kettle black.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:08am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:12am
Spagina767 wrote:
MxKing809 wrote:
Spagina767 wrote:
Apples to oranges. The guy simply stated he didn't think he went fast enough to need a $700+ helmet He didn't say that he goes too...
Apples to oranges.

The guy simply stated he didn't think he went fast enough to need a $700+ helmet

He didn't say that he goes too slow to need a helmet AT ALL.

So, the conversation regarding chest protector vs none, isn't close to the same thing. Not to mention chest protectors are cheap: he could get a bell Moto 9, a chest protector, and then put money towards knee braces before he could buy a 6D...

Just my .02
It doesn't matter how fast you are to put your head in a good helmet. You don't have to be fast to protect yourself.

It's the same exact argument as a chest protector. Are you going to protect yourself to the best of your ability or not?

I guess, because I am not that fast, I should get only a soft roost deflector, I mean..... I am not going to hit the ground that hard, right?
slipdog
7/23/2014 10:11am
I've never worn a knee brace...
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:14am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:16am
slipdog wrote:
Lots of riders haven't. A lot of riders find them uncomfortable and restricting. Kind of like chest protectors Smile
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/23/2014 10:16am
Well I have CTI2's.... Therefore you're all idiots.... LMAO TongueEvil
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:18am
MxKing809 wrote:
Well I have CTI2's.... Therefore you're all idiots.... LMAO TongueEvil
WoohooSillyCool
KMC440
7/23/2014 10:19am
I have high shoulders neck braces make my helmet go sqweeeeeeeeeeeek . Fing annoying.
The Rock
7/23/2014 10:19am
Regis wrote:
It doesn't matter how fast you are to put your head in a good helmet. You don't have to be fast to protect yourself. It's the...
It doesn't matter how fast you are to put your head in a good helmet. You don't have to be fast to protect yourself.

It's the same exact argument as a chest protector. Are you going to protect yourself to the best of your ability or not?

I guess, because I am not that fast, I should get only a soft roost deflector, I mean..... I am not going to hit the ground that hard, right?
I agree with your Regis on your first paragraph but are you saying there aren't any "good" helmets except the 6D? I am sure Shoei Arai AGV etc might disagree with you slim.

Your second paragraph is purely your opinion RE: exact same argument as a chest protector not a statement of fact. How about you buy your 6D and let me buy what I want to but again I will be happy to send you my address for the $300.

I interviewed the Snell Foundation twice for MXA and learned a lot about helmets, helmet testing and concussions. I am of the opinion I can get a "good" helmet without spending the money for a 6D. That having been said maybe by the time I am ready for a new helmet I will have the funds for a 6D but I stopped buying things I couldn't really afford a few years ago so please send me that $300.....or better yet contribute it to burrito for his hospital bed.

The Rock
7/23/2014 10:20am
robkinuk wrote:
Check out this photo of British MX2 Champion Elliot Banks Browne's back and he had a fall practising and got landed on trapped under bikes rear...
Check out this photo of British MX2 Champion Elliot Banks Browne's back and he had a fall practising and got landed on trapped under bikes rear wheel with throttle pinned.
A very painful lesson to always suit up and wear son form of back/chest protector!
I am sure this isn't the least bit uncomfortable or restrictive either.
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
7/23/2014 10:23am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:25am
It's called risk management. There's a certain level of protection every rider should have, and beyond that, one has to weigh the pros and cons for themselves.

Part of that equation is economics. Sorry, this is the real world where we have to buy our own gear.

I teach the MSF Dirt Bike School, and we always tell our students to wear as much protection as they can afford.

One could buy a handful of chest protectors for the price difference in a good helmet and a 6D. For many, that will be money better spent.

I have a full coverage chest protector that has tire marks on it like the ones on Browne's back. That's a better advert in my book.
Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:35am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:44am
Regis wrote:
It doesn't matter how fast you are to put your head in a good helmet. You don't have to be fast to protect yourself. It's the...

The Rock wrote:
I agree with your Regis on your first paragraph but [b] are you saying there aren't any "good" helmets except the 6D?[/b] I am sure Shoei...
I agree with your Regis on your first paragraph but are you saying there aren't any "good" helmets except the 6D? I am sure Shoei Arai AGV etc might disagree with you slim.

Your second paragraph is purely your opinion RE: exact same argument as a chest protector not a statement of fact. How about you buy your 6D and let me buy what I want to but again I will be happy to send you my address for the $300.

I interviewed the Snell Foundation twice for MXA and learned a lot about helmets, helmet testing and concussions. I am of the opinion I can get a "good" helmet without spending the money for a 6D. That having been said maybe by the time I am ready for a new helmet I will have the funds for a 6D but I stopped buying things I couldn't really afford a few years ago so please send me that $300.....or better yet contribute it to burrito for his hospital bed.

There are A LOT of good helmets other than 6d. I do not wear a 6D

I found your reasoning (Don't go fast enough and money) funny, especially coming from you and your OPINIONS on safety you preach.

you said "I don't race for a living (and can sit out a concussion no problem) not sure I need the concussion protection of the 6D"

So, with that statement you believe the 6D offers superior concussion protection but you can live with out it.

You then said

"probability of a concussion versus the extra dollars for a 6D doesn't warrant me springing for it. Now if I was a LL hopeful or a MXGP hopeful I would absolutely wear one no ifs ands buts about it."

It is funny to read your posts about a product that you feel is superior and offers more protection (by what you have posted, not me) but use your speed and money as reasons to not get it.

I see absolutely no reason for you to call on me to send you $300, where that fits this conversation baffles me.
As far as Burrito. Send me a link. I will be glad to donate for his bed. He was a cool cat and I will for sure help right away.

Titan1
7/23/2014 10:39am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 10:39am
How about this...my little brother crashed on the first lap while running 3rd in the 450 B 2nd moto....it was just a little low side...but over a decent sized roller (big enough the other riders couldn't see him on the other side of it)...and with crappy flaggers...so he got ran over twice...once square in the back, and once over his Gearne SG-12's. (His bike got ran over several times as well).

Fortunately for my brother, he was wearing one of these:

And got up and walked away without so much as a scratch.

This is what the back of his Titan chest pro looked like (from the foot peg of the rider that hit him square in the back:

At the end of the day, his back would have likely looked something like the pic in the OP...possibly worse if that foot peg had hit flesh rather than hard plastic.

EVERYONE was amazed that he got up and finished the moto...without the protection he wouldn't have.
Titan1
7/23/2014 10:40am
For some reason I couldn't get the picture of his chest protector to loan in that other post. So here it is...

The Rock
7/23/2014 10:47am
Regis wrote:
There are A LOT of good helmets other than 6d. I do not wear a 6D I found your reasoning (Don't go fast enough and money)...
There are A LOT of good helmets other than 6d. I do not wear a 6D

I found your reasoning (Don't go fast enough and money) funny, especially coming from you and your OPINIONS on safety you preach.

you said "I don't race for a living (and can sit out a concussion no problem) not sure I need the concussion protection of the 6D"

So, with that statement you believe the 6D offers superior concussion protection but you can live with out it.

You then said

"probability of a concussion versus the extra dollars for a 6D doesn't warrant me springing for it. Now if I was a LL hopeful or a MXGP hopeful I would absolutely wear one no ifs ands buts about it."

It is funny to read your posts about a product that you feel is superior and offers more protection (by what you have posted, not me) but use your speed and money as reasons to not get it.

I see absolutely no reason for you to call on me to send you $300, where that fits this conversation baffles me.
As far as Burrito. Send me a link. I will be glad to donate for his bed. He was a cool cat and I will for sure help right away.

Regis I appreciate the detailed response. Thank you.

I am sorry my attempt at self deprecating humor regarding my speed versus protection fell flat. After having been riding MX bikes for over 40 years I am aware that you don't have to be going fast to get a concussion or hurt. I also know a Mercedes like the 6D offers superior protection but economic reality is something else I know.

The reason I am calling on you to send $300 is this is roughly the difference between what I was going to spend on my next helmet and the 6D and I hope this unbaffles you.

Regarding burrito check the main page in just a moment. Thanks for stepping up and I think you are cool cat for doing that.

Peace.
The Rock
7/23/2014 10:50am
Titan1 wrote:
How about this...my little brother crashed on the first lap while running 3rd in the 450 B 2nd moto....it was just a little low side...but over...
How about this...my little brother crashed on the first lap while running 3rd in the 450 B 2nd moto....it was just a little low side...but over a decent sized roller (big enough the other riders couldn't see him on the other side of it)...and with crappy flaggers...so he got ran over twice...once square in the back, and once over his Gearne SG-12's. (His bike got ran over several times as well).

Fortunately for my brother, he was wearing one of these:

And got up and walked away without so much as a scratch.

This is what the back of his Titan chest pro looked like (from the foot peg of the rider that hit him square in the back:

At the end of the day, his back would have likely looked something like the pic in the OP...possibly worse if that foot peg had hit flesh rather than hard plastic.

EVERYONE was amazed that he got up and finished the moto...without the protection he wouldn't have.
Good story but just think how much more comfortable your little brother would have been up until the point the foot peg would have hit him. Unsure

In all seriousness thanks for sharing that as it is just another example of how much more protection chest/back protectors afford than a cotton jersey.

Regis
Fantasy
359th
7/23/2014 10:57am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 11:03am
The Rock wrote:
Regis I appreciate the detailed response. Thank you. I am sorry my attempt at self deprecating humor regarding my speed versus protection fell flat. After having...
Regis I appreciate the detailed response. Thank you.

I am sorry my attempt at self deprecating humor regarding my speed versus protection fell flat. After having been riding MX bikes for over 40 years I am aware that you don't have to be going fast to get a concussion or hurt. I also know a Mercedes like the 6D offers superior protection but economic reality is something else I know.

The reason I am calling on you to send $300 is this is roughly the difference between what I was going to spend on my next helmet and the 6D and I hope this unbaffles you.

Regarding burrito check the main page in just a moment. Thanks for stepping up and I think you are cool cat for doing that.

Peace.
Got it.

In all honesty, I like your stance on safety. I hold you in a higher regard on here for what you have preached and your "buckled down" approach to chest protectors vs. comfort or fashion. I agree with you 100%

I'll be at the track with my ugly black chest protector and brand new Shoei.

Burrito Donation DONE! thanks for the heads up
prozach
7/23/2014 11:01am
I don't give a f*** what other people choose to wear or not wear. It is their life, their choices.
7/23/2014 11:11am
prozach wrote:
I don't give a f*** what other people choose to wear or not wear. It is their life, their choices.
YUP!!!!!!!
The Rock
7/23/2014 11:16am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 11:17am
Regis wrote:
Got it. In all honesty, I like your stance on safety. I hold you in a higher regard on here for what you have preached and...
Got it.

In all honesty, I like your stance on safety. I hold you in a higher regard on here for what you have preached and your "buckled down" approach to chest protectors vs. comfort or fashion. I agree with you 100%

I'll be at the track with my ugly black chest protector and brand new Shoei.

Burrito Donation DONE! thanks for the heads up
Thanks for sharing you and I are on the same page on safety and also a big thank you for the burrito donation.

prozach-This isn't the 70s anymore when we were racing on basically scrambles courses with a jump or two.The only reason I care is I love the sport and want to see it not go away. IMHO we can't afford unnecessary injuries since in too many cases people don't return to racing after a serious crash with injuries. Given the costs of bikes, entry fees, gas, etc there are enough challenges that threaten the longevity of our sport.

Given we can't make this great sport safe doesn't mean we can't make it safer and personally I think people who wear only jerseys are gambling with their future of riding MX bikes every time they swing a leg over a bike unprotected.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Cygnus
7/23/2014 11:20am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 11:21am
slipdog wrote:
I did. They sucked! Never again.

I do wear chest/back protection but I'm to old not to.
hvaughn88
7/23/2014 11:30am
prozach wrote:
Let me preface this statement by saying I'm not speaking on the effectiveness of chest pro's or other specific protective items, nor am I speaking on viewpoints (either for or against) of litigation against tracks and riding areas. Now that I have that out of the way, I do have an interest in what people choose to wear or not wear because ultimately, what they wear or don't wear will be examined if/when someone is tragically or critically injured while participating in this sport and either themselves, or an outside group (i.e. government) decides to get involved with a lawsuit that could potentially shut down your riding area.

Obviously, this is the perfect storm of situations that I brought up, but you get the idea that it's certainly not impossible.

Post a reply to: Good advert for chest & back protectors?

The Latest