Going out on top

early
Fantasy
2231st
If you were Dungey or Carmichael and Hart would you call it quits after this year?

Ryan has a contract thru 17 so this is just hypothetical unless he could pull some strings. He's won the last 3 championships he's completed. He's been at the top of the sport for the last almost 10 years. This year he was on the Wheaties box and won a major award. And he just suffered a scary injury. Obviously hes still relatively young and could have a number of good years ahead, but would you hang it up and move on?

To me the answer is maybe, I'd give it 60% yes.

RCH has been at it for 5(?) years and H&H was there before that without much success until they signed KRoc. They are having sponsor trouble, they probably wont have a shot at another top rider for some time. Would you go out with the number 1 plate (presumptive) and not suffer the lows that are most likely coming if they keep the team going?

To me the answer is about 90% yes.

Thoughts?
|
Neil_Romero
7/22/2016 7:35pm
As far as Dungey is concerned, I think he's got one more good shot in 2017. Kenny will be busy trying to figure out the new Honda.
RCH probably should go out on top. Chances that they can get another elite rider are slim.
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
7/22/2016 7:43pm
I agree with you on the Dungey thing. I know the Matthes types will laugh at me since he has been champ or vice champ for so many years. The fact is, he has rarely been the fastest guy. He spent year after year chasing Poto around for second. He had his 2 years, but we all know that Kenny, Eli and then Webb are the future. I fear that if Ryan races for another year or two, he will put his heart and soul into it (like he always does) but will be relegated to 2nd and 3rd place finishes. I think he should mic drop this and walk away a champ. He has been way too solid and put way too much work into this to coast into retirement and taint the legacy he has made.
Excaliburbmx
7/22/2016 7:58pm
How is he tainting his legacy not winning but js7 can get caught taking banned substances comes back struggles out of the top ten and everyone is cool with it?
tuggy450
7/22/2016 8:03pm
Seriously I think dungey isn't going anywhere unless he sustains another injury or two. The guy is as solid as solid is. My personal opinion is these guys overtrain, and burn out. If he can avoid burn out he's more than capable of taking titles home. Is there some kind of shame in taking 2nd, or 3rd? maybe kroc should have folded and went back to germany last year. These riders are closer than most think, percentage wise when you look at lap times etc, They are separated by fractions, get !% faster and you are the winner. That last 1 % though is hard to get.

The Shop

cali11
7/22/2016 8:06pm
I thought RC already went out on top? Oh you mean shut down his business? That sure makes sense Dry
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
7/22/2016 8:13pm
How is he tainting his legacy not winning but js7 can get caught taking banned substances comes back struggles out of the top ten and everyone...
How is he tainting his legacy not winning but js7 can get caught taking banned substances comes back struggles out of the top ten and everyone is cool with it?
ummmm in case you havent realized, stews legacy has been beat to shit.
Motochimp
7/22/2016 8:13pm
hartebreak wrote:
I agree with you on the Dungey thing. I know the Matthes types will laugh at me since he has been champ or vice champ for...
I agree with you on the Dungey thing. I know the Matthes types will laugh at me since he has been champ or vice champ for so many years. The fact is, he has rarely been the fastest guy. He spent year after year chasing Poto around for second. He had his 2 years, but we all know that Kenny, Eli and then Webb are the future. I fear that if Ryan races for another year or two, he will put his heart and soul into it (like he always does) but will be relegated to 2nd and 3rd place finishes. I think he should mic drop this and walk away a champ. He has been way too solid and put way too much work into this to coast into retirement and taint the legacy he has made.
Hater
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
7/22/2016 8:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2016 8:17pm
hartebreak wrote:
I agree with you on the Dungey thing. I know the Matthes types will laugh at me since he has been champ or vice champ for...
Motochimp wrote:
Hater
I am a huge Dungey fan, but facts are facts. What time you going to be there tomorrow? I owe you a beer!!!
slowgti
7/22/2016 8:17pm
If Dungey should quit now, what is the 22 still doing out there?
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
7/22/2016 8:20pm
slowgti wrote:
tainting his legacy too.
Reggsie
7/22/2016 8:22pm
hartebreak wrote:
I just don't see how "coasting into retirement" taints a rider's legacy. The fact that Reed for example is now a fifth place rider in Supercross doesn't devalue his legacy one iota imo, and the same would apply to Dungey if he wasn't able to make it happen in the later part of his career.

As long as a rider doesn't crash and burn spectacularly, I don't think there's anything wrong with gradually growing a little less competitive as time goes on.
SCR
7/22/2016 8:27pm
If you can make the case that Dungey should hang it up soon because it might be harder to win here on out. What does that say about the rest of the top ten riders the have been trying to figure out how to beat him last few seasons.

He just got done dominating US motocross for last couple years.
agn5009
7/22/2016 8:29pm
He never said he "wanted" RCH to quit. He's asking people what their opinions are. He never said he "wanted" people to lose their jobs. Why do people have to argue constantly?

I think Dungey will kick ass next year. I think he will put his heart and soul into both series and walk away. He is a smart guy and unbelievably determined. I think he will then focus on starting a family then be back within the sport as a manager or something. The difference between Dungey and Stewart is if Dungey plans on racing next year or beyond he will be totally prepared.

I would love to see RCH stick around and hire another top rider. Carey heart and RC are so knowledgeable when it comes to this sport it'd be a shame if they packed the team up.
USMCMXer
7/22/2016 9:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2016 10:46pm
hartebreak wrote:
Using this logic, only ET3 and KROC should line up to race?! Awesome! Yes, that's sarcasm.

As for RCH, losing them would be terrible in many ways. Riders, crew jobs, etc... sad day if they walk away!
oshow
7/22/2016 9:14pm
early wrote:
If you were Dungey or Carmichael and Hart would you call it quits after this year? Ryan has a contract thru 17 so this is just...
If you were Dungey or Carmichael and Hart would you call it quits after this year?

Ryan has a contract thru 17 so this is just hypothetical unless he could pull some strings. He's won the last 3 championships he's completed. He's been at the top of the sport for the last almost 10 years. This year he was on the Wheaties box and won a major award. And he just suffered a scary injury. Obviously hes still relatively young and could have a number of good years ahead, but would you hang it up and move on?

To me the answer is maybe, I'd give it 60% yes.

RCH has been at it for 5(?) years and H&H was there before that without much success until they signed KRoc. They are having sponsor trouble, they probably wont have a shot at another top rider for some time. Would you go out with the number 1 plate (presumptive) and not suffer the lows that are most likely coming if they keep the team going?

To me the answer is about 90% yes.

Thoughts?
Dungey - 2017 will be his last year... Unless something changes

RCH- they are racing in 2017 - IMHO
oshow
7/22/2016 9:16pm
slowgti wrote:
Going fast
oshow
7/22/2016 9:17pm
slowgti wrote:
hartebreak wrote:
tainting his legacy too.
Reed can win any SX race he lines up in.

Don't believe me?
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/22/2016 9:18pm
If im speaking with my heart I want Dungey out there for another 5 years. He has been a part of what made American motocross great in the recent past. If im speaking with my heart I want I want RCH out there. The history of the team, the people involved, its really great to see what theyve accomplished.

I said Dunge has another year on his contract. I know he can give 'em hell next year, all im saying is that if I was him and had the option I would think long and hard about it. He likes the fans and he has fun riding a dirtbike but failure smacks the guy across the face so hard, I dont see him going for top 5's when he hits 30.

RCH is supposedly losing Jimmy Johns. Who knows where the money will come from for next year. Pink world tour 2017? Maybe. Maybe people lose their jobs, its a tough world out there. What do they expect from the next 5 million dollars spent on the team?
Jeremy200
7/22/2016 9:33pm
This is what i was thinking. They get paid to do what we all pay to do. If you still enjoy it keep doing it.

There are too many "fans" that just want riders to quit on this site.
Jimmy_Sloan
7/22/2016 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2016 10:39pm
hartebreak wrote:
Dungey was the fastest in 2010, every bit as fast as RV in the 2011 outdoor series, fastest in the 2012 outdoor series, just as fast (and at times, faster) than Kenny and Eli in the 2014 mx series, the fastest in the 2015 sx and mx series, and the fastest in the 2016 sx series. We've been hearing that Kenny and Eli are the future and Dungey will be a 3rd place guy since they've entered the class, and Dungey has toped them (both in points and speed) more often than not. You've always come off as this poster who says he's a Dungey fan, but then turns around and pays him a backhanded compliment. People have been saying Dungey is a 3rd-4th place guy since 2010, and guess who got the last laugh on that one? After 6 years of saying the same thing, it's the critics who look stupid at this point.
peelout
7/22/2016 10:38pm
Dungey is such a stud, this coming from a confessed "Dungey hater of the past". I think he sticks around for at least another 5 seasons. It's what I'd like to see anyway
kiwifan
7/22/2016 10:49pm
As far as Dungey is concerned, I think he's got one more good shot in 2017. Kenny will be busy trying to figure out the new...
As far as Dungey is concerned, I think he's got one more good shot in 2017. Kenny will be busy trying to figure out the new Honda.
RCH probably should go out on top. Chances that they can get another elite rider are slim.
then again Kroc won on the Suzuki in his first race on it....so perhaps it might not be the big hurdle you seem to think it might be
kiwifan
7/22/2016 10:51pm
If Dungey retires in the next 3 years (baring serious injury) I will eat my hat...
7/22/2016 11:13pm
kiwifan wrote:
If Dungey retires in the next 3 years (baring serious injury) I will eat my hat...
I hope you're wearing a straw hat!

I have a feeling he will pull the pin and ride out 2017.
He seem to be too much of a homely family man
FI2T
7/22/2016 11:30pm
hartebreak wrote:
ummmm in case you havent realized, stews legacy has been beat to shit.
Maybe to the casual fan... Stew might be hanging on to long but he still was one of the greatest of all time.
Is there something wrong with a guy wanting to compete as long as possible? He STILL has top ten speed.
7/22/2016 11:35pm
I don't see how Dungey would taint his legacy by carrying on being consistent, Kevin Windham was one of my favourite riders and he was never dominant like Stewart or Carmichael but his consistency got him plenty of fans.

I could see Dungey becoming the next Windham if he keeps racing.
kongols
7/22/2016 11:42pm
No they can not. They have to quit after winning championship in fears of losing the next and tainting their legacy.
cali11
7/23/2016 2:54am
kongols wrote:
No they can not. They have to quit after winning championship in fears of losing the next and tainting their legacy.
In 10 years we going to talk about who won the 2010 SX title? Or will we be talking about RC/JS 24-0?
RG1
7/23/2016 2:58am
I don't see how Dungey retiring off the back of a back injury would be considered as going out on top

Post a reply to: Going out on top

The Latest