GoPro's BANNED !!

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 4:12pm
|
Olson
10/31/2014 3:57am
Seems about right, riders safety always comes first. If they believe cameras can cause further injury I support their decision to ban them. So no live POV cameras in supercross either than. Sucks in one way but I believe they will figure out some cool angle to still have them mounted on the bike instead. GoPro are sponsors of the events so I guess they want their product to be used.
Zracer
10/31/2014 4:04am
This is not suprising. Why would anyone pay all that cash for a lid ,then screw up its crash integrity with a go pro? The very idea is stupid. Put it on the bike.
HenryA
10/31/2014 4:13am
Safety always comes first but it's a shame if we lose the GoPro uploads from the pro scene. And it would really suck balls if GoPro left this sport since they have a lot of $$$ nowdays. But I guess that they have lawyers and engineers already working on this to find a solution.

Not a surprise that they brought up Schumachers injury...
markit
10/31/2014 4:20am
FIM makes a rulling based on a rumor? Wow LOL.

The Shop

Jefro98
10/31/2014 4:35am
It says it's temporarily.

Probably under investigation or something.
10/31/2014 5:16am
They have the chest strap harness.
Used one many times. IMO its where it should be any way.
IWreckALot
10/31/2014 5:23am
markit wrote:
FIM makes a rulling based on a rumor? Wow LOL.
Yeah. I smell a turd. GoPro is too big of a sponsor to ban them. I would bet $100 that riders will be wearing GoPros at A1. Do we know where the official FIM announcement is?
IWreckALot
10/31/2014 5:24am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2014 5:24am
They said those were banned also.

It’s a sweeping statement that includes all cameras – not just specifically GoPro products – and relates to action sport cameras mounted on a rider’s helmet or chest.
KlootZak
10/31/2014 5:39am
Is it the first of april already? Blink

If true (which I very much doubt), it just shows how amateur FIM is. It is based an opinion that is based on a rumor for christ sake Blink
Spydee
10/31/2014 5:55am
"The announcement has most likely come in the wake of the news that Michael Schumacher’s skiing injury was rumoured to be caused/or intensified due to a GoPro mounted to his helmet"

I follow F1 religiously and I have never heard any mention of Schumi's GoPro being the cause of the accident... They said the GoPro he was wearing got smashed to pieces but not that it harmed him in any way. Hmmm.
markit
10/31/2014 5:55am
Yea has to be fake. Don think theres anyone that inept, even in the FIM.
cz2crf2wc
10/31/2014 5:57am
Pussafication of the world. All they need to do is put a breakaway mount on the helmet cams.
Gringoe
10/31/2014 5:58am
Spydee wrote:
[i]"The announcement has most likely come in the wake of the news that Michael Schumacher’s skiing injury was rumoured to be caused/or intensified due to a...
"The announcement has most likely come in the wake of the news that Michael Schumacher’s skiing injury was rumoured to be caused/or intensified due to a GoPro mounted to his helmet"

I follow F1 religiously and I have never heard any mention of Schumi's GoPro being the cause of the accident... They said the GoPro he was wearing got smashed to pieces but not that it harmed him in any way. Hmmm.
Not the cause of the accident but possibly the cause of the injury
Spydee
10/31/2014 6:02am
Spydee wrote:
[i]"The announcement has most likely come in the wake of the news that Michael Schumacher’s skiing injury was rumoured to be caused/or intensified due to a...

Gringoe wrote:
The French journalist who linked Michael Schumacher's head injuries to the GoPro camera he was wearing when the accident took place has backtracked on his comments, insisting it was "his opinion".

Jean Louis Moncet, a well-known Formula 1 journalist in France, initially claimed the camera was "part of the problem" and seemed to suggest he had spoken to Schumacher's son, Mick, who presumably passed on the details.

Michael Schumacher accident: French journalist recants GoPro camera comments
jeffro503
10/31/2014 6:09am
Spydee wrote:

Gringoe wrote:
I think part of the point is......if you hit your head hard enough to completely destroy a Go-Pro.......you're going to have some sort of an injury. I'd be all for mounting them on the bikes though. I think Go-Pro is a great company that makes an excellent product.....but because of the sheer size of it I'll be leaning towards a " Replay- XD1080 " http://replayxd.com . Just think it's more sleek.
10/31/2014 6:38am
Youre more likely to get hurt when not wearing a neckbrace than you are because of a GoPro. Wheres the rule stating neck braces are mandatory just like helmets? Funny how since the company (GoPro) was founded in 2002, this is the first time anything like this (Shumacher's accident) has been big (to my knowledge). The FIM is banning a product because of one incident? I know for a fact that if you hit your head and land on yout GoPro the mount will snap or peel off before does damage to your head. I think its just silly.
hvaughn88
10/31/2014 6:50am
Youre more likely to get hurt when not wearing a neckbrace than you are because of a GoPro. Wheres the rule stating neck braces are mandatory...
Youre more likely to get hurt when not wearing a neckbrace than you are because of a GoPro. Wheres the rule stating neck braces are mandatory just like helmets? Funny how since the company (GoPro) was founded in 2002, this is the first time anything like this (Shumacher's accident) has been big (to my knowledge). The FIM is banning a product because of one incident? I know for a fact that if you hit your head and land on yout GoPro the mount will snap or peel off before does damage to your head. I think its just silly.
Just to play devil's advocate here, but how do you "know for a fact?" Have you performed repeated experiments in a controlled environment to limit the variables?
10/31/2014 6:51am
Zracer wrote:
This is not suprising. Why would anyone pay all that cash for a lid ,then screw up its crash integrity with a go pro? The very...
This is not suprising. Why would anyone pay all that cash for a lid ,then screw up its crash integrity with a go pro? The very idea is stupid. Put it on the bike.
How does an adhesive mount affect the crash integrity?
O___o
10/31/2014 6:54am
It's all bullshit politics and cronyism, and I'd like to think that we wouldn't lower ourselves to their level by sitting here and arguing about it. Accept it for what it is, or follow the money trail and see it for yourself.
Jefro98
10/31/2014 7:00am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2014 7:00am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate here, but how do you "know for a fact?" Have you performed repeated experiments in a controlled environment to limit the...
Just to play devil's advocate here, but how do you "know for a fact?" Have you performed repeated experiments in a controlled environment to limit the variables?
And that is probably what's happening right now.
Testing.
If the report of the ban is true anyway.
I have not seen any other reports about it yet.
O___o
10/31/2014 7:06am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate here, but how do you "know for a fact?" Have you performed repeated experiments in a controlled environment to limit the...
Jefro98 wrote:
And that is probably what's happening right now. Testing. If the report of the ban is true anyway. I have not seen any other reports about...
And that is probably what's happening right now.
Testing.
If the report of the ban is true anyway.
I have not seen any other reports about it yet.
GoPro has exclusive rights to onboard camera footage for Supercross which is an FIM series.

Sony Actioncam, ( which you normally see fitted on the side of the helmet, ironically...) would LOVE in on that action, but they can't.

Supercross starts in about 65 days.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
10/31/2014 7:13am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2014 7:13am
Its stupid to ban it, IMO

There's all kinds of variables that can happen in MX - a ceiling tile can fall from the stadium roof and hit a rider; a rder could get impaled buy the yellow track markers in MX; a rider could impale himself on one of the flags if the flagger is not looking; a rider's neck brace could get hit precisely in a crash and potentially hurt the rider badly; same as knee brace, etc.

Sure, if the rider goes off the bike and goes head first into the dirt, theres always the possibility that the camera can pile drive into his head, but c'mon, really? How did the camera cause the injury to Schumacher?
RangerLee
10/31/2014 7:15am
I wonder if Pivotheads will be good to go, as they are mounted in glasses (http://www.pivothead.com/) and can be put in googles.

I like these from doing 3 gun shoots, great First person view.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
10/31/2014 7:19am
Then someone out of 1billion falls on their chest and dies. Ban that mount too?
walleyeguy
10/31/2014 7:20am
Jefro98 wrote:
It says it's temporarily.

Probably under investigation or something.
You mean we won't have an answer until 2038? Dang!
IWreckALot
10/31/2014 7:29am
Spydee wrote:

Gringoe wrote:
Spydee wrote:
[i]The French journalist who linked Michael Schumacher's head injuries to the GoPro camera he was wearing when the accident took place has backtracked on his comments...
The French journalist who linked Michael Schumacher's head injuries to the GoPro camera he was wearing when the accident took place has backtracked on his comments, insisting it was "his opinion".

Jean Louis Moncet, a well-known Formula 1 journalist in France, initially claimed the camera was "part of the problem" and seemed to suggest he had spoken to Schumacher's son, Mick, who presumably passed on the details.

Michael Schumacher accident: French journalist recants GoPro camera comments
Sounds like GoPro lawyers got ahold of the guy.

Again, there is absolutely no way this is true.
O___o
10/31/2014 7:35am
No one will believe it's true until Ken Roczen rolls out into A1 with a Sony Action cam.
slipdog
10/31/2014 7:40am
Spydee wrote:

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/31/2014 7:43am
I doubt this will stick. Too much cash in the camera industry to let this happen...

Post a reply to: GoPro's BANNED !!

The Latest