Glen Helen - First Time Tips (with baby)

MOTO120
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2014 3:25pm
Hey all,
The wife and I (and our 10 month old baby boy) are flying to CA and attending Glen Helen here in a couple weeks. We plan to stay in the San Bernardino area on Friday night so we are fairly close to GH on Saturday morning (staying in Santa Monica area for rest of trip). My question is pretty much what should we expect, especially having a baby with us? I would really like to be there for practice at 8:30 BUT that might turn into a really long day for the kid....maybe we should wait and come around noon just before races start? Is there any shaded areas we can sit at with him? Is there anything the wife and him could do in the morning around the GH area which would allow me to go to practice and them just come for the races? Last thing....what are we in for regarding traffic around GH....crazy?

Thanks in advance!
|
JVT357
Fantasy
3149th
5/8/2014 9:24am
My first advice would be get a baby sitter. Id say it isn't exactly baby friendly.It can be very hot there by late may. If you are not there early you will be parking far away and its a lot of walking.
Big Lenny
5/8/2014 9:33am
If I remember correctly it's a pretty good hike from parking to track so I wouldn't wanna walk back and forth..Shade? not really..my suggestion find a nice spot where you can shade the baby when needed and avoid stumbling drunks....if you want to see the the track you'd be best going it alone and walking around it maybe finding a better spot to spectate...

When I first took my Grandson he really surprised me, he handled it like a champ without one diaper change all day, and even found our truck on the way out after I walked past it...
Socket946
5/8/2014 9:35am
We're leaving our 6 year old home for GH. My first time as well to see the national, and we made the call that she wouldn't last.

Our plan: lots of sun screen, and the CEO of my home and I will both be wearing camel backs...we're from AZ, so we're not afraid of the sun, but we predict with the attendance, shade will be at a premium. We even did the VIP tickets to guaranty we get some shaded spots.

Lots of water, super comfy shoes, sun screen and beer were what was recommended.
Big Lenny
5/8/2014 9:51am
Socket946 wrote:
We're leaving our 6 year old home for GH. My first time as well to see the national, and we made the call that she wouldn't...
We're leaving our 6 year old home for GH. My first time as well to see the national, and we made the call that she wouldn't last.

Our plan: lots of sun screen, and the CEO of my home and I will both be wearing camel backs...we're from AZ, so we're not afraid of the sun, but we predict with the attendance, shade will be at a premium. We even did the VIP tickets to guaranty we get some shaded spots.

Lots of water, super comfy shoes, sun screen and beer were what was recommended.
6 years old?..She can definitely hack it.. they might get a little bored but you'll be amazed what how they can hang out when they want...both my Grand kids did it at 3 no problem...Kids are cool...

The Shop

enketchum
5/8/2014 9:54am
The wind usually picks up after lunch. Easiest parking is usually at the Amphitheater and they shuttle you in the back wash. That is how they did it before the national moved away.
Big Lenny
5/8/2014 10:05am
enketchum wrote:
The wind usually picks up after lunch. Easiest parking is usually at the Amphitheater and they shuttle you in the back wash. That is how they...
The wind usually picks up after lunch. Easiest parking is usually at the Amphitheater and they shuttle you in the back wash. That is how they did it before the national moved away.
I don't think they do the backwash anymore where the shuttle you in then after the race it was that long ass walk back...Laughing
hvaughn88
5/8/2014 10:18am
MOTO120 wrote:
Hey all, The wife and I (and our 10 month old baby boy) are flying to CA and attending Glen Helen here in a couple weeks...
Hey all,
The wife and I (and our 10 month old baby boy) are flying to CA and attending Glen Helen here in a couple weeks. We plan to stay in the San Bernardino area on Friday night so we are fairly close to GH on Saturday morning (staying in Santa Monica area for rest of trip). My question is pretty much what should we expect, especially having a baby with us? I would really like to be there for practice at 8:30 BUT that might turn into a really long day for the kid....maybe we should wait and come around noon just before races start? Is there any shaded areas we can sit at with him? Is there anything the wife and him could do in the morning around the GH area which would allow me to go to practice and them just come for the races? Last thing....what are we in for regarding traffic around GH....crazy?

Thanks in advance!
I gotta say, you're more of a man than I am. I have an 11 month old son and I'm definitely not that brave, haha
MXerDW
5/8/2014 11:31am
Hello Blake,

I will have my motorhome there and you and your wife are welcome to come hangout in it. If your wife and the little one needs a place to rest during the racing the Motorhome is there for them.

I will be in camping spot 473 up on the hill over looking the track.

Take care and look forward to meeting you and family.

Dwayne
gharmon
5/8/2014 11:35am
Socket946 wrote:
We're leaving our 6 year old home for GH. My first time as well to see the national, and we made the call that she wouldn't...

Big Lenny wrote:
6 years old?..She can definitely hack it.. they might get a little bored but you'll be amazed what how they can hang out when they want...both...
6 years old?..She can definitely hack it.. they might get a little bored but you'll be amazed what how they can hang out when they want...both my Grand kids did it at 3 no problem...Kids are cool...
Yours must be cooler than mine. It's fine for a little while but when it gets hot he will be thinking im toting him. Usually they find another kid to sit and play with in the dirt. With the sweating and the red dirt/dust they are looking super premium by the time we leave. I love taking my grandson everywhere but I ain't very patient with a whiney ass kid after he's hot and tired from being out in the sun all day. So, I do both of us a favor and leave him at the house.
5/8/2014 11:36am
Why do people bring small children or their pets to these things???!!!!!!
hvaughn88
5/8/2014 11:36am
MXerDW wrote:
Hello Blake, I will have my motorhome there and you and your wife are welcome to come hangout in it. If your wife and the little...
Hello Blake,

I will have my motorhome there and you and your wife are welcome to come hangout in it. If your wife and the little one needs a place to rest during the racing the Motorhome is there for them.

Dwayne
That's awesome of you to do that. I like knowing there are still some good folks in the world.
hvaughn88
5/8/2014 11:37am
harrowguy wrote:
Why do people bring small children or their pets to these things???!!!!!!
thanks for your contribution
JeepnMike
5/8/2014 11:38am
MXerDW wrote:
Hello Blake, I will have my motorhome there and you and your wife are welcome to come hangout in it. If your wife and the little...
Hello Blake,

Dwayne
Dwayne, you are a class act... That is extremely generous of you. I was going to throw another +1 for finding a sitter, being able to retreat with the baby to an RV may be the saving grace.
TeamGreen
5/8/2014 11:39am
JVT357 wrote:
My first advice would be get a baby sitter. Id say it isn't exactly baby friendly.It can be very hot there by late may. If you...
My first advice would be get a baby sitter. Id say it isn't exactly baby friendly.It can be very hot there by late may. If you are not there early you will be parking far away and its a lot of walking.
Totally concur...I'm probably dual-sporting in!
joltonjay
5/8/2014 11:50am Edited Date/Time 5/8/2014 11:55am
Blake

I would take Dwayne up on his generous offer. You will regret not going for the whole day as it is a ton of fun to watch practice and roam around checking out all the vendors. Traffic is also a nightmare unless you go really early. Have fun

A few years ago we took our baby to Hangtown and we took a little pop-up baby tent for shelter and naptime. It's amazing they can sleep through all the noise but I would still bring ear protection because it is loud. Stupid four strokes!
MOTO120
5/8/2014 11:54am
MXerDW wrote:
Hello Blake,

Dwayne
Dwayne,
Obviously greatly appreciate your offer and hope to take you up on that (I'll PM you that week).

Any suggestions on best places to park? I know we are going to have a walk no matter what but thought there might be one place better than the other.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
joltonjay
5/8/2014 11:58am
MXerDW wrote:
Hello Blake,

Dwayne
MOTO120 wrote:
Dwayne, Obviously greatly appreciate your offer and hope to take you up on that (I'll PM you that week). Any suggestions on best places to park...
Dwayne,
Obviously greatly appreciate your offer and hope to take you up on that (I'll PM you that week).

Any suggestions on best places to park? I know we are going to have a walk no matter what but thought there might be one place better than the other.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
You don't get much choice when parking because they direct you where to park. Most the time you can pay to park in a vip area which is closer.
CnCRacing
5/8/2014 12:24pm
Ear plugs and a good 3 wheel stroller. Both of my boys went to HighPoint as babies. No sitter. The oldest one slept through the start of a 450 moto from the second turn. Last year he was six and I put him on my shoulders to go to the podium. He loved it. What was cool was when a couple of guys seen him they started yelling "little kid coming through" and we got almost right up to the fence. That was his first champagne shower, he still has the hat I was wearing that day and was going to try to get RV to sign it this yr.Sad He still watches that race online to see himself on tv at the end. Now he's a moto junkie just like his dad.
Big Lenny
5/8/2014 1:19pm
gharmon wrote:
Yours must be cooler than mine. It's fine for a little while but when it gets hot he will be thinking im toting him. Usually they...
Yours must be cooler than mine. It's fine for a little while but when it gets hot he will be thinking im toting him. Usually they find another kid to sit and play with in the dirt. With the sweating and the red dirt/dust they are looking super premium by the time we leave. I love taking my grandson everywhere but I ain't very patient with a whiney ass kid after he's hot and tired from being out in the sun all day. So, I do both of us a favor and leave him at the house.
You're absolutely right they'll sit and play in the dirt or find another kid to play with...Only time I had to carry him was trying to beat the traffic with him on my shoulders...Laughing
RedRum666
5/8/2014 1:31pm
man...10 month old at GH national all day....Shade is sparce and that motorhome is a life saver - if it wasnt for that option I would say leave the wifey/baby at the hotel........ I seen some folks with a 1 yr old at Vegas this past weekend.... poor little guys face was all red from sun and his parents were carting a stroller through the bleachers....they looked miserable and left early....Parking is horrible and gettting out of the place is even worse.....There will be a line about 5 miles long at 6:00am in the morning....so get there early.....
RedRum666
5/8/2014 1:33pm
Dwayne is going to have quite a few visitors I think! hsahahahahaha I may be one of them...
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
5/8/2014 1:40pm
2012 red bud hot as fuck'n shit....I could bearly eat or drink...bring along one of those little plastic pools for the kid....
crf250pilot
5/8/2014 2:04pm
enketchum wrote:
The wind usually picks up after lunch. Easiest parking is usually at the Amphitheater and they shuttle you in the back wash. That is how they...
Wow, I never even knew about this. Does anyone else know if there will be a shuttle setup this year?
Big Lenny
5/8/2014 2:11pm
Wow, I never even knew about this. Does anyone else know if there will be a shuttle setup this year?
I think they stopped that, they also had you sign a waiver at the entrance too last time I was there...
5/8/2014 2:30pm
There were some trees right behind the grand stands when we were there (RV was still on a Tiddler). If they are still there, it’s a cool place to get out of the sun. We met Magoo and they had a patch of grass back there that really made it seem cooler. I would not let these guys get you to discouraged. You have a kid and a wife that is willing to go. I would get there early and try to park close. Just be prepared to sit a little while after the race. Heat exhaustion? take a couple hand towels and some bottled water. you can dampen the towels if needed to keep him cool. An umbrella for the stroller and ditto the ear protection. If you go up the road just east of the grand stands there used to be RV parking. You might get lucky and run into someone that likes your kid and wife and want you to share their view. there are some bitch’n places to watch up on the hills depending on how it is laid out. The hills to west would not be stroller friendly unless it has 4 wheel drive. The hills to the east are a little easier. You may find a little hill side spot where you guys can setup and see good. I haven’t been there in six years so it may have changed a bit. Have fun and hope you enjoy your vacation.

Post a reply to: Glen Helen - First Time Tips (with baby)

The Latest