Getting a title for a MX bike in CA

swatdoc
Edited Date/Time 11/7/2015 1:02pm
Hey guys from CA I need your help here.

I'm currently living out-of-state, but will be moving back to CA in about 2 years. I just bought a new '16 KTM 350SXF a few weeks ago. I rode it around the block, then pulled back into my garage and started stripping it down so I could powder coat the frame.

The powdercoater called my just a little while ago with bad news.

Even after talking with the owner at length about the issue, the guy sandblasting the frame completely blasted off my VIN number. Now where I live currently (Hawaii), the state doesn't issue pink slips (titles) for dirt bikes - all you ever have is the sales contract from the dealer. So not too big of a deal here, but I'm concerned when I move to CA in 2 years.

Doesn't CA require dirt bikes to be registered/have titles? Could someone chime in that has brought a dirt bike into CA from another state and got a CA title for it. Does the DMV inspect the bike, of do they just look at your bill of sale from when you bought the bike?

And how about a few years down the line when I want to sell it, if I don't have a VIN and/or CA title, will there be issues trying to sell it? Or does anyone even care about that when buying a used dirt bike in CA?

And if it matters, I'm strictly a track guy - bike will never be ridden off-road on any public land.

Thanks Guys
|
11/5/2015 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 5:46pm
Yes they do on non private track areas. The dmv will need to visually verify the vin on the frame and engine with an out of state title, mso or bill of sale. I just went through this. Fyi, The value of your bike will go down considerably without a title
swatdoc
11/5/2015 6:31pm
What/where would non - private track be?

I'll be moving to Murrieta, so plan to race Pala, Glen Helen, Lake Elsinore, Perris, LACR, etc. Maybe venture up to Zaca. Plus any other tracks that OTHG, Old Timers, etc race on. I'm assuming all those tracks are private?

Getting a new frame is not really reasonable either. Almost $1700, plus shipping to Hawaii would put over $2K probably.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/5/2015 6:53pm
swatdoc wrote:
What/where would non - private track be? I'll be moving to Murrieta, so plan to race Pala, Glen Helen, Lake Elsinore, Perris, LACR, etc. Maybe venture...
What/where would non - private track be?

I'll be moving to Murrieta, so plan to race Pala, Glen Helen, Lake Elsinore, Perris, LACR, etc. Maybe venture up to Zaca. Plus any other tracks that OTHG, Old Timers, etc race on. I'm assuming all those tracks are private?

Getting a new frame is not really reasonable either. Almost $1700, plus shipping to Hawaii would put over $2K probably.
He's most likely talking about riding in the hills(offroad zones). Just stamp the VIN back in the frame..

Brent
11/5/2015 7:04pm
If you get pulled over on the way to the track, your friendly local policeman may ask for the registration on the bike in the back of your truck.. No registration? Impound.

Plus, you can't really sell the bike in CA if you don't hold title.

The Shop

zehn
11/5/2015 7:26pm
Man, if I were you I'd be pissed. What kind of goon blasts off the VIN?
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
11/5/2015 7:33pm
My 2012 KTM has the VIN on a sticker as well. Does the sticker not count?
kj9000
11/5/2015 7:36pm
Depending on the thoroughness of the DMV worker you get, you might get a title with no inspection or with no VIN DMV will send you to the Highway Patrol office and they will inspect it. This will include them removing the paint on the steering head to bare metal. Have your paperwork in order and If you pass they will give you a VIN.

CA DMV Code

BTW. I don't know about bikes but for cars, expensive ones anyways, the VIN is done with special stamps. There are small unique peculiarities about each digit even the asterisks. The CHP took several photos of my VIN.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
11/5/2015 7:42pm
I wouldn't worry too much man. I ride all the tracks in CA, offroad zones, same in Oregon. I have not title for my new bike or my old bike that I sold in CA. You will be fine!
swatdoc
11/5/2015 7:50pm
I thought about re-stamping it myself, but there's no way it's going to come out perfectly straight and evenly spaced like from the factory. It will look off and probably look even more suspicious.
I think my best idea is to have a company create a thin aluminum plate to look like a factory VIN plate - with black lettering. Possibly stamped VIN if they can do it. Then maybe rivet it on so it looks as OEM as possible. Plus I do have the paperwork with the engine number too.
That, plus the fact I will by that time be a retired LEO, hopefully I would get a little professional courtesy from the local PD or CHP
Roscoe33
11/6/2015 7:54am
I wouldn't worry too much man. I ride all the tracks in CA, offroad zones, same in Oregon. I have not title for my new bike...
I wouldn't worry too much man. I ride all the tracks in CA, offroad zones, same in Oregon. I have not title for my new bike or my old bike that I sold in CA. You will be fine!
yes, until it is someone else's garage and you try to get it back.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
11/6/2015 9:20am
No big deal. After a CHP inspection, they'll slap their own VIN sicker on there and it'll be good to go.

I bought an out of state KTM 50 and it had no numbers on the engine case. After the inspection, the officer placed a sticker on the engine, and that number became the official engine number for the title.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/6/2015 10:21am
Try to get a copy of the MSO from the dealer who sold it to you. Take that, along with your bill of sale to the DMV with an explanation of the issue. They will either issue you a VIN sticker or throw you in jail. This is Kalifornika, after all. Tongue

Remember, even if you don't plan to ride on public lands, you must have the bike registered to transport it on public roads in your truck. Plus, the cops here hate off-roaders for the most part. Get your stuff lined up properly or your life may become a bacon-wrapped nightmare.
scrubz
11/6/2015 10:45am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2015 10:46am
Is a new frame with a vin number and certificate of origin available from a dealer?
Cancerman
11/7/2015 1:02pm
You will need to register for a green or red sticker. Green is for off-road- desert-BLM lands. Red is for closed course stuff. You can ride with out it, but if you get stopped by BLM, they will ticket you.

Post a reply to: Getting a title for a MX bike in CA

The Latest