Getting Sideways by Accident Off Jumps

GarySemics
Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 12:32pm
Getting sideways off jumps when you don’t intend to is 9 times out of 10 because you’re hitting an uneven face upon take off. Think of a quad when it jumps off an uneven face; like where the two left wheels are higher than the two right wheels, your going to get sideways big time. It’s the same kind of an affect with a M/C. If there is a rut, a dished out area, a little rock or anything uneven about the place where the tires actually leave the ground it’s going to make you go sideways.

The best way to solve this problem and keep your short clean is to make sure you take off in the center of the rut or dished out area, make sure you’re taking off on even ground. If there is no even ground you have to compensate for the sideways pitch.

The other possibility is that one foot peg is being weighted more then the other.

This is explained in visual detail on my Volume 3 Series DVD # 6 "Motocross Basic Jumping Techniques". You can see a free preview and/or order the disc or "Stream" online at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-6-motocross-basic-jumping-techniques/

More free riding tips at: http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips

|
NZ272
3/13/2013 5:56pm
Whats the best way to save it? WFO?
Sandberm
3/13/2013 5:59pm
I once got Sideways on a wine tasteing trip. I met this cute gal...my buddy who was engaged, met a woman also so it was a win win.
SwapperMX
3/13/2013 6:14pm
The other possibility you left out there Gary, is that you have some knob shiner who doesnt ride watering up-ramps and trying to kill someone. Happens way too often round here.
Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
3/13/2013 6:21pm
Sandberm wrote:
I once got Sideways on a wine tasteing trip. I met this cute gal...my buddy who was engaged, met a woman also so it was a...
I once got Sideways on a wine tasteing trip. I met this cute gal...my buddy who was engaged, met a woman also so it was a win win.
so your buddy cheated? thats not a win...

The Shop

GarySemics
3/13/2013 6:31pm
NZ272 wrote:
Whats the best way to save it? WFO?
Move your body to maintain the center of balance and panic rev it. The faster spinning of all the moving parts are a strong gyro effect that help straighten things up.

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/13/2013 7:17pm
If I ever get sideways on a jump - I butt whip so freaking hard the opposite way.

It always seems to straighten me out, except for that one time when I hit my head.
3/13/2013 7:27pm
Sandberm wrote:
I once got Sideways on a wine tasteing trip. I met this cute gal...my buddy who was engaged, met a woman also so it was a...
Jordan421 wrote:
so your buddy cheated? thats not a win...
Hey damn it, who's team are you playing for?
FIREfish148
3/13/2013 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/13/2013 7:50pm
You can also lose stability in the air by going to bigger sprockets in the rear and/or front.

I read this in a mechanics special of dirt rider a while back. Goose was the mechanic who actually said this. It came pretty clear to me why I kept getting sideways off of jumps after I switched from a 48 to a 52 in the rear on my 250f.

The more teeth the less the wheelbase. This set up mistake I know stunted my confidence in jumping big time.

Learn from my mistake!!
3/13/2013 8:39pm
Using a larger rear sprocket increases the angle between the chain and the swingarm. The increased angle increases the anti-squat effect which results in the rear shock topping out on the takeoff ramp. Loss of traction causes the rear wheel to slide out.
The effect is the same as if you reduced the rear sag from 4 inches to 3.5 inches for example.
IWreckALot
3/14/2013 4:52am
Gotta throw out the bike setup. . . If you're getting kicked sideways repeatedly, check to make sure your rear wheel is aligned perfectly straight. If it's slightly left or right, you'll get kicked. . .
3/14/2013 5:10am
Good read Gary. On a not totally unrelated matter, how do you deal with jumping in the wind? I suppose the best solution is to not do it but there are times when it's difficult to avoid.
GarySemics
3/14/2013 6:11am
unknownmxr wrote:
Using a larger rear sprocket increases the angle between the chain and the swingarm. The increased angle increases the anti-squat effect which results in the rear...
Using a larger rear sprocket increases the angle between the chain and the swingarm. The increased angle increases the anti-squat effect which results in the rear shock topping out on the takeoff ramp. Loss of traction causes the rear wheel to slide out.
The effect is the same as if you reduced the rear sag from 4 inches to 3.5 inches for example.
I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's a big enough difference that anyone could feel relating to getting sideways off jumps.
GarySemics
3/14/2013 6:24am
Good read Gary. On a not totally unrelated matter, how do you deal with jumping in the wind? I suppose the best solution is to not...
Good read Gary. On a not totally unrelated matter, how do you deal with jumping in the wind? I suppose the best solution is to not do it but there are times when it's difficult to avoid.
Good question, jumping in a crosswind will push the front wheel over more than anything else. I've found that pushing the handlebars sideways into the wind is enough to compensate for this effect.

3/14/2013 6:28am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 6:28am
I'm just enjoying the photos of Gary Semics intentionally squirreling out at Skytop MX. Much ballsier that the current crop of goon stars, IMO.

Thanks for almost eating shit for our benefit, Gary.
crf250pilot
3/14/2013 8:46am
StevieTimes- Great vid, thanks for sharing, I LMAO!! the recovered audio at the end is classic. Funniest part is the jump is only about 10ft long, could run and jump that far.
jtomasik
3/14/2013 9:09am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2013 9:10am
You can also lose stability in the air by going to bigger sprockets in the rear and/or front. I read this in a mechanics special of...
You can also lose stability in the air by going to bigger sprockets in the rear and/or front.

I read this in a mechanics special of dirt rider a while back. Goose was the mechanic who actually said this. It came pretty clear to me why I kept getting sideways off of jumps after I switched from a 48 to a 52 in the rear on my 250f.

The more teeth the less the wheelbase. This set up mistake I know stunted my confidence in jumping big time.

Learn from my mistake!!
Interesting. I'll have to think about that for my 250. My 500AF's flywheel's so big that rapping the throttle on that thing feels like someone shoved an I-beam up its silencer. It stiffens up from the inertia like nothing I've experienced. Semic's suggestion about panic-revving sure works with that bike. Just gotta make sure not to hold it open on landing, or I'm in for one helluva whiskey-throttled ride.
jtomasik
3/14/2013 9:13am
GarySemics wrote:
Good question, jumping in a crosswind will push the front wheel over more than anything else. I've found that pushing the handlebars sideways into the wind...
Good question, jumping in a crosswind will push the front wheel over more than anything else. I've found that pushing the handlebars sideways into the wind is enough to compensate for this effect.

Gary, by 'pushing the handlebars into the wind', do you mean that would lay the top of the bike towards the wind? I heard it was better to push the bars downwind, so the wind pushes your wheels back upright. Usually when it's that windy, I avoid too much air-time (hey man...I'm 50 and no pro), so I haven't practiced it on bigger jumps. I've tried it on one jump at my buddy's track, but the bike's only about 4-5 feet off the ground, it's a flat landing, and I'd bet we jump no more than 20-30 feet (it's a hare-scrambles track, so speeds are up but the jumps are relatively small).

Can you elaborate?

Thanks in advance for all of your tips. Much appreciated!
GarySemics
3/14/2013 12:32pm
GarySemics wrote:
Good question, jumping in a crosswind will push the front wheel over more than anything else. I've found that pushing the handlebars sideways into the wind...

jtomasik wrote:
Gary, by 'pushing the handlebars into the wind', do you mean that would lay the top of the bike towards the wind? I heard it was...
Gary, by 'pushing the handlebars into the wind', do you mean that would lay the top of the bike towards the wind? I heard it was better to push the bars downwind, so the wind pushes your wheels back upright. Usually when it's that windy, I avoid too much air-time (hey man...I'm 50 and no pro), so I haven't practiced it on bigger jumps. I've tried it on one jump at my buddy's track, but the bike's only about 4-5 feet off the ground, it's a flat landing, and I'd bet we jump no more than 20-30 feet (it's a hare-scrambles track, so speeds are up but the jumps are relatively small).

Can you elaborate?

Thanks in advance for all of your tips. Much appreciated!
Since the wind is pushing on the front wheel you have to push on the inside bar and pull up a little on the outside bar. If you want to see it demonstrated and explained using slow motion and stop action, you'll have to buy the disc or "Stream". You can buy the Stream for 1 week for 5.00. http://www.gsmxs.com/featured/vo3-dvd-8-motocross-jumping-absorbing-scr…

Post a reply to: Getting Sideways by Accident Off Jumps

The Latest