Get a '17 CRF450RX while you still can (track guys that do ANY off-road)

TeamGreen
The '18s are out and they're EXCELLENT. They've got the new cool guy battery and tray. The R has new motor mounts (hangers). But...

The RX ain't got a Kick-Starter. That's gonna cost ya if you add it to your '17. Any Off-Roader should know what I'm taking about. I've got a kicker-less Husky that's left me in need of a bump start...when all I needed was the kicker!
The '18s have some here "settings". So what!?!? Because any "settings" that're different between a '17/'18 won't matter when any with one (RXs) should get the '18 R springs and you can get maps from all sorts of places...like your dealer (ya don't need the maps!).

After riding them ALL, I still like the RX chassis the best (still has the best hangers...which need the 3mm hole ala JCR).

Also, if a dealer still has a '17 and the '18 is sitting right next to it...which one is he gonna make you a deal on?
|
9/2/2017 6:33am
I mean its pretty rare for a battery to go dead on a dirt bike especially if you take care of it.
Chad McCan
9/2/2017 6:51am
My start button went bad while on the trail in the Colorado mountains. Super thankful I had the kickstarter still attached.
9/2/2017 6:57am
Have been riding KTM 4 strokes in the woods for more than 15 years and had to kick probably about 10 times.
Ten times when I was real happy they didn't dump the kickstarter!
TeamGreen
9/2/2017 7:06am
I mean its pretty rare for a battery to go dead on a dirt bike especially if you take care of it.
Read the other replies: these are the types of things that happen to me and my friends in Baja...

The Shop

resetjet
9/2/2017 7:18am
Kicker is nice but not needed. First of all if you ride offroad by yourself you are foolish. Therefore you always have a rumning bike with you. Bring a tow strap and bump start it. Go wheel to wheel with the running bike and bump start it. Take the battery out of another bike and hold it upside down against yours. Bypass the switch. Heck offroad this is the least of your worries anyway.
Titan1
9/2/2017 7:23am
How about this...so many off road guys are running rekluse clutches these days. (Myself included)

The rekluse clutch can't be bump started.

So estart goes away, can't bump start, no kick start...um? Bad news.

I think it's ridiculous to build an off road bike with no kick start.
JM485
9/2/2017 8:13am
Titan1 wrote:
How about this...so many off road guys are running rekluse clutches these days. (Myself included) The rekluse clutch can't be bump started. So estart goes away...
How about this...so many off road guys are running rekluse clutches these days. (Myself included)

Rekluse can be bump started, but needs to be readjusted afterwards.
BAMX
9/2/2017 8:34am
resetjet wrote:
Kicker is nice but not needed. First of all if you ride offroad by yourself you are foolish. Therefore you always have a rumning bike with...
Kicker is nice but not needed. First of all if you ride offroad by yourself you are foolish. Therefore you always have a rumning bike with you. Bring a tow strap and bump start it. Go wheel to wheel with the running bike and bump start it. Take the battery out of another bike and hold it upside down against yours. Bypass the switch. Heck offroad this is the least of your worries anyway.
I am all for E start but kick start is a must. It seems like every ride I go on, we end up in at least a dozen places where no amount of people could bump start a bike. You would have to carry it up the hill and push it to a place where there was enough space.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
9/2/2017 10:02am
Titan1 wrote:
How about this...so many off road guys are running rekluse clutches these days. (Myself included) The rekluse clutch can't be bump started. So estart goes away...

That's exactly what I said when they announced the 18s that had no kick starter, and I got flamed for it, probably from people who don't even ride or do a 20 minute loop and call it off-road.

I've seen bikes have to be stranded because they couldn't be bumped, I've seen a friend loose batter power going up a really nasty dry river bed where you couldn't even coast it back down to get enough momentum to bump it. But I guess others know better.

I just don't get why not leave it on, and if you want to remove it for weight or whatever, you can take it off.
dcg141
9/2/2017 10:24am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 10:24am
They are going away and not coming back so its going to be something to deal with in the future. I have seen alot of kickstart bikes stranded also, its not always the starter that's the issue. That being said the best thing to carry are the small jumper cables. Usually you can get a bike jumpstarted if the battery is the issue. The next thing would be if your really going to be a long way from the trial head carry an extra lithium battery. Fuses are a good thing to have also. If those don't save you it probably a issue where a kickstart would not get you going.
JB 19
9/2/2017 10:48am Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 1:38pm
My dad carries one of those little battery packs that's about the size of a phone. He says it works pretty good if your battery goes dead or gets weak for some reason.

Post a reply to: Get a '17 CRF450RX while you still can (track guys that do ANY off-road)

The Latest