Gear observation

Motodave15
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2015 7:13am
Just a observation as I've never used one. But I always see the little tykes like 65s and lower wearing rodeo chest protectors.

Now I'm wondering does it protect you better than all the chest protectors out there?? and if so, how come you don't see any adults wearing them?? Or Is it just a style thing?
|
Osaka627
6/17/2015 11:33am
Probably the same reason why adults don't wear any upper body protection. That and heat...
The Rock
6/17/2015 4:31pm
Great observation.

My take is there are so many options available to adults there is no need for those of us that choose to wear upper body protection to go the bull riding gear route.

Regarding heat issues this is why God gave us ice cubes and coolers. Soak your jersey before you go down to the line and you'll be air conditioned the entire moto.

The Shop

yzjs7
6/17/2015 6:26pm
The Rock wrote:
Great observation. My take is there are so many options available to adults there is no need for those of us that choose to wear upper...
Great observation.

My take is there are so many options available to adults there is no need for those of us that choose to wear upper body protection to go the bull riding gear route.

Regarding heat issues this is why God gave us ice cubes and coolers. Soak your jersey before you go down to the line and you'll be air conditioned the entire moto.
Interesting idea,May have to try that.
6/18/2015 5:52am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2015 5:53am
Because some guy took a flak jacket, (those things are patterned after the late 90s "interceptor" military flaks) never proved the technology, then used scare tactic marketing to goat rope parents into buying them. Parents dont like to look insufficient, so when 2-3 kids have them, the other 30 are soon to follow. I realize that sounds negative, but it's the harsh reality.
6/18/2015 6:23am
Because some guy took a flak jacket, (those things are patterned after the late 90s "interceptor" military flaks) never proved the technology, then used scare tactic...
Because some guy took a flak jacket, (those things are patterned after the late 90s "interceptor" military flaks) never proved the technology, then used scare tactic marketing to goat rope parents into buying them. Parents dont like to look insufficient, so when 2-3 kids have them, the other 30 are soon to follow. I realize that sounds negative, but it's the harsh reality.
the vest offer way more protection than the standard roost guard.
i wasnt scared into buying one for my son, i didnt buy one to keep up with the jones...

i bought one simply because it offerd a lot more protection and had proved its self a few times.

in my opinion adults dont wear them cause mom and dad arent the ones telling them what they have to wear if they want to ride anymore. and since none of the big names are wearing one no one wants to.

my son is at that stage now. he loved his vest but now getting into the teenage years he sees less and less kids wearing them so he wants to make the move to a regular roost guard and under the jersey at that.

hvaughn88
6/18/2015 6:25am
Because some guy took a flak jacket, (those things are patterned after the late 90s "interceptor" military flaks) never proved the technology, then used scare tactic...
the vest offer way more protection than the standard roost guard. i wasnt scared into buying one for my son, i didnt buy one to keep...
the vest offer way more protection than the standard roost guard.
i wasnt scared into buying one for my son, i didnt buy one to keep up with the jones...

i bought one simply because it offerd a lot more protection and had proved its self a few times.

in my opinion adults dont wear them cause mom and dad arent the ones telling them what they have to wear if they want to ride anymore. and since none of the big names are wearing one no one wants to.

my son is at that stage now. he loved his vest but now getting into the teenage years he sees less and less kids wearing them so he wants to make the move to a regular roost guard and under the jersey at that.

Slightly off topic here, but maybe the "looks" part has more to do with ages. Personally, I think wearing the chest pro outside the jersey looks cool as hell and wearing it under the jersey looks dorky.
DoctorJD
6/18/2015 6:53am
I went from a Fox Proframe to the Troy Lee Shock Doctor, under-jersey protector. Trying to find a good compromise between comfort and protection. From a comfort standpoint, you forget you've got it on once you're on the track. I wore it last weekend when the temps were in the mid-90's and humidity was high. When I was moving, air flowed through it nicely. The padding kind of makes it stand off of your body a bit allowing air to flow around your skin more freely. Haven't had to test it in a crash situation (thankfully) so I guess that's still up for debate. Integrates nicely with neck braces, as well.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
6/18/2015 7:01am
DoctorJD wrote:
I went from a Fox Proframe to the Troy Lee Shock Doctor, under-jersey protector. Trying to find a good compromise between comfort and protection. From a...
I went from a Fox Proframe to the Troy Lee Shock Doctor, under-jersey protector. Trying to find a good compromise between comfort and protection. From a comfort standpoint, you forget you've got it on once you're on the track. I wore it last weekend when the temps were in the mid-90's and humidity was high. When I was moving, air flowed through it nicely. The padding kind of makes it stand off of your body a bit allowing air to flow around your skin more freely. Haven't had to test it in a crash situation (thankfully) so I guess that's still up for debate. Integrates nicely with neck braces, as well.

I take the shoulder pads off and wear this under the jersey in almost every shoot we do. There's a lot of pros on the line at a national that rock these, plenty that aren't sponsored by TLD. WhistlingLaughing
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
6/18/2015 7:13am
DoctorJD wrote:
I went from a Fox Proframe to the Troy Lee Shock Doctor, under-jersey protector. Trying to find a good compromise between comfort and protection. From a...

ML512 wrote:
I take the shoulder pads off and wear this under the jersey in almost every shoot we do. There's a lot of pros on the line...
I take the shoulder pads off and wear this under the jersey in almost every shoot we do. There's a lot of pros on the line at a national that rock these, plenty that aren't sponsored by TLD. WhistlingLaughing
Do you have to wear a light shirt underneath this and then your jersey overtop or can you just go bareback?

Post a reply to: Gear observation

The Latest