GPS for mx bikes

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:03am
When will someone market an inexpensive gps for dirt bikes? Or have they already other than Lojak? You could conceal it on the bike. If it's stolen, get on your laptop and track the bastards down.
|
12/25/2009 9:37pm
Show up at their door...BOOYAH!!!!!
12/25/2009 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/25/2009 9:45pm
there would be alot of dead thieves
Perfectly said!
12/25/2009 10:17pm
I had a recent scare when I dropped off my bike at my friend's garage late at night and he calls me the next day and leaves a message saying "I didn't see your bike". He lives back in the woods way back on family property that is very remote. I was freaking out trying to reach him next day and never could. I had nightmares that night I was so scared. Finally he calls and says "oh I didn't see it driving by with that camo cover on it" I was like " dude you scared the crap out of me." That's when I thought of this gps idea.

The Shop

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/25/2009 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:37pm
When will someone market an inexpensive gps for dirt bikes? Or have they already other than Lojak? You could conceal it on the bike. If it's...
When will someone market an inexpensive gps for dirt bikes? Or have they already other than Lojak? You could conceal it on the bike. If it's stolen, get on your laptop and track the bastards down.
http://www.gpsprotected.com/...ions/motorcycle.html

With bike thefts becoming more common.
Maybe one of the big MX mags like RacerX or MXA will some day do an article on anti theft GPS tracking.
Perhaps test some out and give some feed back on the best ones.
12/25/2009 11:05pm
FastEddy wrote:
http://www.gpsprotected.com/...ions/motorcycle.html With bike thefts becoming more common. Maybe one of the big MX mags like RacerX or MXA will some day do an article on anti...
http://www.gpsprotected.com/...ions/motorcycle.html

With bike thefts becoming more common.
Maybe one of the big MX mags like RacerX or MXA will some day do an article on anti theft GPS tracking.
Perhaps test some out and give some feed back on the best ones.
Nice! thanks for posting that, I looked at the coverage area and I am surprised every state is not covered completely. My luck I would pay for it and then the bike would go to a uncovered area for its life and never find it. Hahahahaha!
warlo527
12/26/2009 12:03am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:37pm
There is such a product. It's about the size of a pager....hope there is some that knows what that is. It works via a SIM card. So you have to have an account set up with T-Mobile or AT&T and pay the monthly fee. I priced T-Mobile would have been about 3 bucks a month. This is prepaid per month. Each text message will cost about 15 or 25 cents. The way it works is by text message. You send the device with the SIM and battery installed a text message and it will reply with a text message with it's GPS coordinates..latitude / longtitude. You can also set up a geo fence so when it moves from your garage..it will text you. Then you can start texting it and it will reply with it's location/speed. I have one for my boat and it works well. It showed my boat being in my neighbors yard on Google Earth. They say the battery lasts 4 days...and there is a hard wire adapter so that's what i use in the boat. As for a bike...I guess one with a battery it would last a long time as I doubt the device draws that much power. Would be great for when you have to leave the bike at a hotel, etc...stash the puppy in the airbox/under seat/etc. Not sure how shock resistant it is....so maybe just put it in the hiding spot when your not riding. Search GPS tracker on ebay and you will find a ton of them. They run about 100 bucks. In Canada..the cheapest is Rogers and it's about 8 per month.
Justin314
12/26/2009 3:58am
warlo527 wrote:
There is such a product. It's about the size of a pager....hope there is some that knows what that is. It works via a SIM card...
There is such a product. It's about the size of a pager....hope there is some that knows what that is. It works via a SIM card. So you have to have an account set up with T-Mobile or AT&T and pay the monthly fee. I priced T-Mobile would have been about 3 bucks a month. This is prepaid per month. Each text message will cost about 15 or 25 cents. The way it works is by text message. You send the device with the SIM and battery installed a text message and it will reply with a text message with it's GPS coordinates..latitude / longtitude. You can also set up a geo fence so when it moves from your garage..it will text you. Then you can start texting it and it will reply with it's location/speed. I have one for my boat and it works well. It showed my boat being in my neighbors yard on Google Earth. They say the battery lasts 4 days...and there is a hard wire adapter so that's what i use in the boat. As for a bike...I guess one with a battery it would last a long time as I doubt the device draws that much power. Would be great for when you have to leave the bike at a hotel, etc...stash the puppy in the airbox/under seat/etc. Not sure how shock resistant it is....so maybe just put it in the hiding spot when your not riding. Search GPS tracker on ebay and you will find a ton of them. They run about 100 bucks. In Canada..the cheapest is Rogers and it's about 8 per month.
Thats pretty neat....never knew anything about that.
Zenn
12/26/2009 5:13am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:37pm
I did some research on this a while ago but for snowmobile purpose, turnes out that if you want an accurate device you have to go with GPS, on the downside it's pretty expensive and it doesn't work very well if the bike in this case is stored in a garage where the transmitter can't get the signals through.

Then there's the GSM based system, which I'm guessing is what warlo has, it uses the mobile net. The accuracy isn't as great as the gps ones (+/- 1600 feet in cities and about the double in the back country) but the device is both cheaper and the signal doesn't get blocked as easy as the GPS one.
typ2vw159
12/26/2009 8:26am
Its all fun and games till your battery goes dead.
Merry Christmax Eddy!!from dacov
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
12/26/2009 2:09pm
typ2vw159 wrote:
Thanks Big D!
crowe176
12/26/2009 3:40pm
typ2vw159 wrote:
Probably cost more overall than just having theft insurance.

Post a reply to: GPS for mx bikes

The Latest