GMC Canyon

Panic_Rev
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2014 7:10pm
I'm in the market for a new rig. I currently have a Jeep Commander and I use a motorcycle carrier to haul my bike to the track. So far it has worked well, but leaves me wanting a little bit more. I do not want a full size truck. I'm between getting a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and continuing to use the carrier, or the new GMC Canyon. I think the Canyon will be the perfect amount of truck that I need it for.

My question to vital- It only has a 5'2" bed, is this enough space to haul my bike to the track? Can it fit 2 bikes? I already assume the tailgate will not close even at an angle, so I would get a bed extender. Thoughts?
|
11/19/2014 7:14am
Gmc is giving masive discounts on full size trucks right now. By time you add in a few options on the mid size truck you are in big truck price range.

I just picked up a full size crew cab last night.

tomm55x
11/19/2014 7:18am
Yep 2 bikes will fit with the gate down, I would get a quad cab with power windows so u have room for gear and all that. I have an extended cab 02 gmc 1500 now and wish I had gotten the quad cab for sure.
Panic_Rev
11/19/2014 7:23am
I agree that their are great deals on full size trucks, but I just do not want a full size truck. The full size truck just doesn't work for my daily life. I would rather have the Jeep and be comfortable most of the time and a little annoyed while going to the track than have a full size truck. That's why I think this mid size truck can be perfect. A buddy said he can take $6-$7k off sticker on the mid size.
moto314
11/19/2014 7:40am
I really like the new 2015 Canyon/ Colorado, it has a smaller engine than the Frontier and Tacoma, but has the most HP and best gas mileage. IMO it looks just like the Tacoma, which I like the looks. It will haul two bikes no problem. The only downside is it is $6,000 more than the Frontier and $1,000 more than the Tacoma equally equipped so if you can get $6-$7K off it's good deal.

The Shop

11/19/2014 8:21am
Go mid size truck then for sure and oddly enough with the correct options can tow more than a full size lol.

I was lucky to find a dealership was easy to deal with and actually worked the price to get me in the truck i needed not the truck i coukd afford.

Go give the gmc a good look over I like the gmc intelilink way better than the ram u connect system. It jusy works so much easier and faster.
11/19/2014 8:23am
It will fit. Two bikes will fit as well, but it'll be a tailgate down, bed extender type of thing. I had an 08 and had no problem hauling two bikes, but gear bags went in the backseat. Put the gas cans up by the front wheels, and slide the ramp up under one of the bikes back tires. You might get lucky with one bike at an angle and being able to close the gate, but it'd be close.
crusher773
11/19/2014 8:24am
I had an S-10 for the longest time. You can even get 3 big bikes in there if you do it just right.
Tpog496
11/19/2014 8:27am
Gmc is giving masive discounts on full size trucks right now. By time you add in a few options on the mid size truck you are...
Gmc is giving masive discounts on full size trucks right now. By time you add in a few options on the mid size truck you are in big truck price range.

Let's see it!
IceMan446
11/19/2014 8:27am
Panic_Rev wrote:
I agree that their are great deals on full size trucks, but I just do not want a full size truck. The full size truck just...
I agree that their are great deals on full size trucks, but I just do not want a full size truck. The full size truck just doesn't work for my daily life. I would rather have the Jeep and be comfortable most of the time and a little annoyed while going to the track than have a full size truck. That's why I think this mid size truck can be perfect. A buddy said he can take $6-$7k off sticker on the mid size.
You could wait for the diesel they are going to come out with for the canyon.

More money, but better for the long run if you don't plan on getting a full size truck.
Panic_Rev
11/19/2014 8:33am
Panic_Rev wrote:
I agree that their are great deals on full size trucks, but I just do not want a full size truck. The full size truck just...
IceMan446 wrote:
You could wait for the diesel they are going to come out with for the canyon. More money, but better for the long run if you...
You could wait for the diesel they are going to come out with for the canyon.

More money, but better for the long run if you don't plan on getting a full size truck.
The diesel is what peaked my interest in this truck. The dealership told me they have no timeline when it will come out and at what price. I just took their word for it and didn't do any research into it.
davistld01
11/19/2014 8:36am
Panic_Rev wrote:
I'm in the market for a new rig. I currently have a Jeep Commander and I use a motorcycle carrier to haul my bike to the...
I'm in the market for a new rig. I currently have a Jeep Commander and I use a motorcycle carrier to haul my bike to the track. So far it has worked well, but leaves me wanting a little bit more. I do not want a full size truck. I'm between getting a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and continuing to use the carrier, or the new GMC Canyon. I think the Canyon will be the perfect amount of truck that I need it for.

My question to vital- It only has a 5'2" bed, is this enough space to haul my bike to the track? Can it fit 2 bikes? I already assume the tailgate will not close even at an angle, so I would get a bed extender. Thoughts?
You're in Fayetteville? Drive up to Springfield, MO & I'll show you what we've got. I work for a GMC/Cadillac dealer here & have 2015 Canyons in stock. PM me and we'll talk about it. Anything here would be Spam.
Panic_Rev
11/19/2014 8:44am
Panic_Rev wrote:
I'm in the market for a new rig. I currently have a Jeep Commander and I use a motorcycle carrier to haul my bike to the...

davistld01 wrote:
You're in Fayetteville? Drive up to Springfield, MO & I'll show you what we've got. I work for a GMC/Cadillac dealer here & have 2015 Canyons...
You're in Fayetteville? Drive up to Springfield, MO & I'll show you what we've got. I work for a GMC/Cadillac dealer here & have 2015 Canyons in stock. PM me and we'll talk about it. Anything here would be Spam.
Yes. I have no clue how to PM you. You PM with your number and I will call you. I would leave my number on the forum, but well that could go bad quickly.
MR. X
11/19/2014 9:07am
Can you still get the 5.3 in the midsized trucks?
Panic_Rev
11/19/2014 9:10am
I believe it's a v6 3.6L with a little over 300hp.
Sandberm
11/19/2014 9:11am
Id be worried about buying a 2015 Canyon as it is a redesign year. Any time these guys redesign a vehicle it seems like it takes them a few years to work the bugs out. Theres a lot of unhappy people with 04-06 Canyons/Colorados.

I have a 2010 ext cab Colorado and really like it. Fits two bikes but what is bad is the tiedown loops are at the bottom of the bed so the tiedowns have to bend over the front tire of the other bike. Not real secure feeling. If the loops were at the top it would be a straight shot.
Tpog496
11/19/2014 9:12am
MR. X wrote:
Yea but its a whole new animal direct injection, canted valves, and a higher compression ratio really wake it up.
11/19/2014 9:29am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2014 9:30am
Gmc is giving masive discounts on full size trucks right now. By time you add in a few options on the mid size truck you are...

Tpog496 wrote:
Let's see it!
Will get pics up in a bit. Trying to finish up some work so I can hit the road tonight and be home for turkey day. Picked up the keys last night and will be setting off on a 1000 mile road trip tonight lol. Dallas TX to Charlotte NC.
IceMan446
11/19/2014 9:37am
Panic_Rev wrote:
The diesel is what peaked my interest in this truck. The dealership told me they have no timeline when it will come out and at what...
The diesel is what peaked my interest in this truck. The dealership told me they have no timeline when it will come out and at what price. I just took their word for it and didn't do any research into it.
My father has a buddy that works at a Chevy dealership and they said 2015 would be the year.

Not sure about that though since it has been pushed back more than once.

But the V6 that is offered currently is a great motor. A lot of HP and a good tow rating.

Guess it comes down to how long you can wait or just getting a trailer in the mean time.

I am interested in the diesel myself and am in no rush to purchase so I may hold out.
davistld01
11/19/2014 10:08am
Panic_Rev wrote:

davistld01 wrote:
You're in Fayetteville? Drive up to Springfield, MO & I'll show you what we've got. I work for a GMC/Cadillac dealer here & have 2015 Canyons...
Panic_Rev wrote:
Yes. I have no clue how to PM you. You PM with your number and I will call you. I would leave my number on the...
Yes. I have no clue how to PM you. You PM with your number and I will call you. I would leave my number on the forum, but well that could go bad quickly.
Can't do it from mobile app. I'll be in front of a PC later & I'll send you my number.
Suns_PSD
11/19/2014 10:43am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2014 10:43am
I fit 2 dirt bikes in the back of my 2009 short bed Canyon. It's tight but it works fine. Of course the tailgate is down with a bungee net strung across the back. This truck has 141K miles btw and not one single failure, not even a brake job. It's still quiet and rattle free as well. And the truck use to tow a travel trailer and still shows no signs of wear. Lifetime mpg average of 21.3 mpg. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

The new Canyon SB has a 5' 2" bed (2" longer than my '09 and also somewhat wider) bed. They also offer a LB with a CC which is really nice and better suited for hauling dirt bikes often.

I am just waiting for the Diesel and hopefully a Denali version to be available so that I can order a new loaded Canyon. GM has said anywhere from Jan. '15 to late summer of '15 for the Diesel option.

Also, the 2016 ZR2 offroad model Colorado (Raptor competitor kind of) is being introduced at the LA auto show today at 4:30pm CA time. It should have a factory lift, lockers, etc...
Suns_PSD
11/19/2014 10:47am
MR. X wrote:
No. That was in the 1st trucks which quit being built in 2012. The new V6 has more hp than the old V8, but less torque.

BTW, real world mpg numbers from the Colorado forums are well over 21 mpg, several 4x4s are averaging 22-24mpg which in real life compared to a Full size that gets 15mpg, is a huge improvement.
Blaze45
11/19/2014 10:56am
For the price you spend on a new truck, you could spend half of that and get a used one with low miles that is full size for half the price with under 50k miles. I wouldn't rush to buy a brand new truck as they probably need to work a few kinks out.

I almost went with a mid size truck. Then I bought a full size with half the miles of the Toyota that I wanted for half the price. No regrets.

TeamGreen
11/19/2014 11:09am
The only truck that's not an actual full-size that seems to be worth the money is the little Nissan Frontier 4-cyl with the "preferred pkg" (Air, Cruise, Bluetooth...yada, yada, yada) that people can take home for less than $20K.

These things get about 20mpg and can get real good mlg on the highway.

Toyota? Not so much...crappy mpg and too much $ up-front.

The Canyon will cost the same/more than a full-size and until the diesel comes out...? It ain't worth it. You can get a really nice full-size Chevy/GMC/Ford or Ram for cheap while the '14s are getting blown out.
Sandberm
11/19/2014 11:28am
Suns_PSD wrote:
I fit 2 dirt bikes in the back of my 2009 short bed Canyon. It's tight but it works fine. Of course the tailgate is down...
I fit 2 dirt bikes in the back of my 2009 short bed Canyon. It's tight but it works fine. Of course the tailgate is down with a bungee net strung across the back. This truck has 141K miles btw and not one single failure, not even a brake job. It's still quiet and rattle free as well. And the truck use to tow a travel trailer and still shows no signs of wear. Lifetime mpg average of 21.3 mpg. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

The new Canyon SB has a 5' 2" bed (2" longer than my '09 and also somewhat wider) bed. They also offer a LB with a CC which is really nice and better suited for hauling dirt bikes often.

I am just waiting for the Diesel and hopefully a Denali version to be available so that I can order a new loaded Canyon. GM has said anywhere from Jan. '15 to late summer of '15 for the Diesel option.

Also, the 2016 ZR2 offroad model Colorado (Raptor competitor kind of) is being introduced at the LA auto show today at 4:30pm CA time. It should have a factory lift, lockers, etc...
My Colorado has 57k miles on it and the only problem its had is the tachometer quit working. The temp gauge is going wacky to. I guess the the "stepor motors" go bad. Does your tachometer and other dash gauges still work?

What size of travel trailer did you pull?

Rdubs19
11/19/2014 11:46am
Suns_PSD wrote:
I fit 2 dirt bikes in the back of my 2009 short bed Canyon. It's tight but it works fine. Of course the tailgate is down...

Hell yeah bro I have an 06 Canyon bare bones stick shift and crank windows and it's a dream, had a headlight burn out and that's it. When I had a jacked Z71 it shit transmissions, U joints and water pumps even though I was easy on it. That Canyon is terrific peace of mind, great on gas and never skips a beat.
YamaLink
11/20/2014 10:19am
The airbag recall wasn't a major knock for me, but the lack of sliding rear window was. GMC says next year's model will address that major oversight.
11/20/2014 10:32am
Panic_Rev wrote:
New Colorado diesel all the way. It seems bigger than a mid size but not huge like a full size.
IceMan446
11/20/2014 11:00am
Sandberm wrote:
My Colorado has 57k miles on it and the only problem its had is the tachometer quit working. The temp gauge is going wacky to. I...
My Colorado has 57k miles on it and the only problem its had is the tachometer quit working. The temp gauge is going wacky to. I guess the the "stepor motors" go bad. Does your tachometer and other dash gauges still work?

What size of travel trailer did you pull?

Had that problem on my Silverado. The tach went out and then the speedo started doing weird stuff. Checked a Silverado forum and figured out how to fix the issue.

Bought a pack of stepper motors on ebay for 15 bucks, got a solder gun and fixed them myself.

A few hours of time and saved me $600+ if I had took them to a dealership.

I can say, be sure to mark your gauges when taking them off and be precise. I had to take my dash back apart to get my speedo gauge perfect. That sucked big time.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
11/20/2014 2:18pm
Get the full size, you won't be mad you have extra space.... But you'll be upset when you run out....

Here's my set up!

Post a reply to: GMC Canyon

The Latest