GL says top American riders are interested in racing MXGP!

mccread
4/13/2015 11:24am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 2:08am
"Yes, there is a big interest." says the Youthstream president in an exclusive interview for Gatedrop.com

We also asked why the venue for the Thailand MXGP round was changed to a worse track, should Herlings be racing MXGP this year, the situation with the Brazilian GP and ask if Lierop will get another MXGP round in the future!

Read the full exclusive interview with GL here

So, would American fans want to see more US riders racing GPs and go for a World title for America and who would you like to see attempt it?
|
akillerwombat
4/13/2015 11:26am
Anyone that says they wouldn't want to see more American riders do the GP's is a fool.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2671st
4/13/2015 11:30am
Any of the top 10 guys in the US would be very fun to watch race the GP's, no matter where they finish.
Motofinne
4/13/2015 11:49am
If and this is a big IF Luongos plans work out there will be more US riders in MXGP in the future and it may be by far the number one MX series in the world. He is trying to replicate MotoGP witch is the biggest motorcycle series in the world with the most advanced and fastest bikes, MX and SX is nowhere near MotoGP.

Everything Youthstream has been doing the past years is indicating that they want MXGP to be a series where all the best MX riders race(including US riders). I don't know if it will be successful but it would be awesome to see but very difficult to make it happen.
4/13/2015 11:52am
Personally, I think it's really cool that Villopoto is over there. I thought it was cool when Ryno, Mike Brown, and Zach Osborne went over there. I hope Covington makes some podiums....

BUT, I think that half of the top up and coming riders from Europe will still come to the US and I hope that our best riders will stay here. The parity we are starting to see is awesome and I think this year's outdoors will be one of the best seasons in a while. We already got Tonus this year, Ferrandis is supposed to come next year, Ferris gave it a try last year but injuries derailed his season.

The top up and coming MX2 riders except Herlings, Cairoli all came here; Musqin, Roczen, Searle, Rattray....

Paulin used to talk about coming over but I think he's at the point now where he's going to make more money in Europe.

The Shop

4/13/2015 11:59am
I do hope the tv ratings for MXGP continue to rise, and I hope the sponsors are really paying attention. Then maybe the manufacturers, sponsors, and teams will be interested in pushing american riders to race the USGP.

How awesome would it be to have Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Millsaps, Barcia, ect. race the USGP?

Maybe if GL commits to having 1 or 2 USGPs then teams will include it in the rider's contracts. Right now youthstream is too unpredictable in their scheduling.
h&m_cycle
4/13/2015 11:59am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2015 12:25pm

GL didn't say that, GL said HE THINKS the riders over here will be interested.

mccread
4/13/2015 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2015 12:01pm
I do hope the tv ratings for MXGP continue to rise, and I hope the sponsors are really paying attention. Then maybe the manufacturers, sponsors, and...
I do hope the tv ratings for MXGP continue to rise, and I hope the sponsors are really paying attention. Then maybe the manufacturers, sponsors, and teams will be interested in pushing american riders to race the USGP.

How awesome would it be to have Dungey, Roczen, Tomac, Millsaps, Barcia, ect. race the USGP?

Maybe if GL commits to having 1 or 2 USGPs then teams will include it in the rider's contracts. Right now youthstream is too unpredictable in their scheduling.
I'm hoping that happens at Glen Helen, would be amazing! Could help RV too if they all get in between him and Cairoli if the title comes down to the wire.
IWreckALot
4/13/2015 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2015 12:04pm
I'm not exactly sure what GL was supposed to say? "No, there isn't any interest in the American's to race my series"?

"Top American Riders" is a very subjective wording. Could be a lot of 5-10th guys that don't have much of a shot at a championship here.

So far as I can see, most of the GP riders want to come to America to race.

Sorry, I just don't buy anything GL is selling.
A. DLeary
4/13/2015 12:05pm
GL is the Don King of racing. What do you expect him to say?
DonM
4/13/2015 12:08pm
Luongo has been shoving propaganda down peoples throats for years...how is this any different?
The Rock
4/13/2015 12:11pm
I do hope the tv ratings for MXGP continue to rise, and I hope the sponsors are really paying attention. Then maybe the manufacturers, sponsors, and...

mccread wrote:
I'm hoping that happens at Glen Helen, would be amazing! Could help RV too if they all get in between him and Cairoli if the title...
I'm hoping that happens at Glen Helen, would be amazing! Could help RV too if they all get in between him and Cairoli if the title comes down to the wire.
Me too mccread! This year the US racers don't have any excuses except maybe not wanting to get spanked by "those slow euros." :-)

Euros won't have a home track advantage so that excuse goes out the window as well. This year's USGP could be the closest thing we've had to a Trans AM since the 70s but that all depends on how many US riders step up to the challenge.
The Rock
4/13/2015 12:12pm
DonM wrote:
Luongo has been shoving propaganda down peoples throats for years...how is this any different?
I can't believe he had somebody start the RV is going to MXGP rumor either. Like that was ever going to happen............
Canerat
4/13/2015 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2015 12:23pm
MotoGP has big money to pay big salaries. They want the best riders from the states then they going to need more teams with fatter cheque books than what is currently out there..and its going to be hard to top SX and the American market. I just dont see it happening.

One idea would be to build MX tracks at each MotoGP venue and bounce of the same cameras for television..tap into the GP fan base by including in the MotoGP ticket sales free access to the MX races. Naturally one would have the four MX GP races the day before the actual MotoGP so that the public can watch MX and get to see the GP quaifying etc etc...
kijen
4/13/2015 12:18pm
Lets say a handful of top Americans go to race the MXGP's, would that encourage the manufactures to focus on one series and reduce their presence in US MX/SX? Probably a cynical thought, just seems everything is about cutting costs. So the manufactures jump in with GL create the mythical "world championship" and poof factory teams are gone from the US? I know satellite teams are proving to be very competitive but they are still backed with factory support to some degree. I think anything that would pull manufactures from their commitment to US MX/SX is bad.

Call me a fool, but I would prefer to keep "THE BEST" motocrossers here in the states, regardless of their citizenship, Dungy, Reed, Rozcen and a host of all the other great riders from everywhere else....I would prefer the US to stay the number one series......

In my opinion, GL is going after DC....
DonM
4/13/2015 12:18pm
DonM wrote:
The Rock wrote:
I can't believe he had somebody start the RV is going to MXGP rumor either. Like that was ever going to happen............
Of course that had nothing to do with that happening....It's the old Reese's Rule....he got his chocolate in somebody else's peanut butter...
Moto810
4/13/2015 12:41pm
It might be better if they simply combine the GP and Outdoors. Then we get one real world champ.
newmann
4/13/2015 12:52pm
Oh, so GL is not Grant Langston. Thought this was going to be an interview with a little credibility. Guessing Langston has been busy with his riders union he started up back around 2010.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
4/13/2015 12:55pm
There's a top U.S. rider threatening to retire next year and wants a windfall? Evil

You'd hope the guys with an open contract would try to leverage th e two series to their advantage, seems natural. Who are e teams looking?
Fat Fingers
4/13/2015 1:46pm
When did Chad Reed say he was interested in racing MXGP?
4/13/2015 2:02pm
Moto810 wrote:
It might be better if they simply combine the GP and Outdoors. Then we get one real world champ.
Bingo! Maybe not the entire series but say 2 in the US and 2 in the Mxgp schedule , both scoring points for there respective series as well as creating another series that could grow to be the premier championship perhaps.Woohoo
moto282
4/13/2015 2:11pm
Bingo! Maybe not the entire series but say 2 in the US and 2 in the Mxgp schedule , both scoring points for there respective series...
Bingo! Maybe not the entire series but say 2 in the US and 2 in the Mxgp schedule , both scoring points for there respective series as well as creating another series that could grow to be the premier championship perhaps.Woohoo
I agree this would be best. Kind of like how Daytona is part of SX but not a Feld event. A single series just isn't feasible. There is too much demand in the US for the nationals, plus conflicts with the SX schedule, etc...

Regarding the bad bait used int his thread. All the top US riders are contracted to race in the US next year except for Tomac and he is definitely staying. So we should enjoy this year while it lasts with a top American racing in Europe, because it may be awhile before it happens again.
IceMan446
4/13/2015 2:14pm
Its coming from Luongo, so take it with a grain of salt.
Fat Fingers
4/13/2015 2:25pm
moto282 wrote:
I agree this would be best. Kind of like how Daytona is part of SX but not a Feld event. A single series just isn't feasible...
I agree this would be best. Kind of like how Daytona is part of SX but not a Feld event. A single series just isn't feasible. There is too much demand in the US for the nationals, plus conflicts with the SX schedule, etc...

Regarding the bad bait used int his thread. All the top US riders are contracted to race in the US next year except for Tomac and he is definitely staying. So we should enjoy this year while it lasts with a top American racing in Europe, because it may be awhile before it happens again.
That is a good point. So who is contracted next year... you say all the top riders.. who would be the next best rider other than Tomac to not have a contract?

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
4/13/2015 2:25pm
Motofinne wrote:
If and this is a big IF Luongos plans work out there will be more US riders in MXGP in the future and it may be...
If and this is a big IF Luongos plans work out there will be more US riders in MXGP in the future and it may be by far the number one MX series in the world. He is trying to replicate MotoGP witch is the biggest motorcycle series in the world with the most advanced and fastest bikes, MX and SX is nowhere near MotoGP.

Everything Youthstream has been doing the past years is indicating that they want MXGP to be a series where all the best MX riders race(including US riders). I don't know if it will be successful but it would be awesome to see but very difficult to make it happen.
GL will never get all the best guys over there until it becomes a paying series. You only get paid if youre on a team and then add on the ridiculous amount of travel involved too.

Its one thing if thats what you grew up on and are familiar with but if your racing the AMA SX and MX you stay on one continent and most races are a days drive away, and they all carry a purse (which actually has a bigger impact on privateers but non the less, a guy like Dung will make 20k for a 1-1 day in the US outside of his contract.

and how prestigious is a series that cant fill a 40 man gate. you have to back fill it with locals who arent all that fast
mx_563
4/13/2015 2:31pm
I'd like to see some go over, sure. And I don't mind the GPs being the creme de la creme of motocross (like they used to be).
BUT...can't it wait until GL moves on? It just pains me to give GL the satisfaction of having a legitimately good series. There I said it. Shoot me.

On a related topic.... I'd like to see an end to the over-prepping and uber-consistency of US national tracks. I think this has had a major affect on how competitive the US has been at the MXdN in recent years. We should have more variety in track conditions here in the US in order to produce more well rounded riders. Just a thought.
Titan1
4/13/2015 2:42pm
Sorry Luongo...but the closest dirt biking equivalent to MotoGP, is Supercross...at this point that is the most prestigious dirt bike racing title in the world.

But I would LOVE to see MXGP-a true motocross series (I'm over supercross)-be the pinnacle of the dirt bike racing world. They've got the most exotic bikes, and they race all over the world...they just need to get the exposure, money, and interest up-a lot (but that's the hardest part).
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
4/13/2015 2:43pm
When did Chad Reed say he was interested in racing MXGP?
That was like 2001, right? Wink
DonM
4/13/2015 2:48pm
Moto810 wrote:
Can't happen....conflicting series sponsors...
The Rock
4/13/2015 2:52pm
Moto810 wrote:
Bingo! Maybe not the entire series but say 2 in the US and 2 in the Mxgp schedule , both scoring points for there respective series...
Rub a lamp if you think the two series will ever be combined nor should they IMO. At this point I will settle for US racers putting forth a strong US showing at the GH USGP. Not everyone has a chance to go to the MXdN but it doesn't get much easier than the USGP this year to see how you fare.

Moto810-222 would be happy to tell you who has been the real world champion in MX for awhile now. KTM and his other sponsors would be too along with whoever sold him his home in Monaco.

Post a reply to: GL says top American riders are interested in racing MXGP!

The Latest