Future of 2-strokes

Yep
4/23/2017 4:06pm
2 250 2strokes finished in the top ten in the EMX250 race
Mx286
4/23/2017 4:14pm
It would really be cool if they could have a exhibition race at the nationals. I know race day is super busy but maybe it could be done at intermission? Would give the riders a little more time to recover, plus the fans would go nuts over something like that. Kind of like what Glen Helen does having to qualify for the event.
downard254
4/23/2017 4:18pm
When someone decides to let it go cc for cc, then you might see a return, but until then, no chance for the two stroke other than what we have now.
gerg
4/23/2017 4:27pm
Most if not all the front runners at the Erzberg hare scramble ride 2 strokes...not sure of the reasoning, possibly the lower weight in some of those crazy areas like Carl's Diner or whatever it's called.

The Shop

loftyair
4/23/2017 4:59pm
It would be alot closer even now if they allowed good fuel for 2-strokes.
endurox
4/23/2017 5:01pm
Get rid of the stupid antiquated 2 times cc advantage for the 4 dorks.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
4/23/2017 5:12pm
endurox wrote:
x2
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/23/2017 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 5:36pm
downard254 wrote:
When someone decides to let it go cc for cc, then you might see a return, but until then, no chance for the two stroke other...
When someone decides to let it go cc for cc, then you might see a return, but until then, no chance for the two stroke other than what we have now.
The majority of racing is cc for cc. Most go faster on a 250f vs a 250 2T. Even at the highest levels, they would choose a 250f over a 250 two stroke, even for money reasons.
downard254
4/23/2017 6:04pm
downard254 wrote:
When someone decides to let it go cc for cc, then you might see a return, but until then, no chance for the two stroke other...
kzizok wrote:
The majority of racing is cc for cc. Most go faster on a 250f vs a 250 2T. Even at the highest levels, they would choose...
The majority of racing is cc for cc. Most go faster on a 250f vs a 250 2T. Even at the highest levels, they would choose a 250f over a 250 two stroke, even for money reasons.
So what's the reason then for the AMA/FIM not allowing equal cc in professional racing if the 4 stroke is still better?
I have a friend who's son tries to qualify for pro MX at area nationals, and they have $15,000 invested in the motor, but when they go to tracks like Southwick, with deep loam, he switches to 450 since his 250 is severely handicapped when compared to factory and factory supported teams. How much can be dumped into a 250 2T. Just curious if anyone knows an average cost to get serious power from a current 2T.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
4/23/2017 6:25pm
downard254 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
The majority of racing is cc for cc. Most go faster on a 250f vs a 250 2T. Even at the highest levels, they would choose...
downard254 wrote:
So what's the reason then for the AMA/FIM not allowing equal cc in professional racing if the 4 stroke is still better? I have a friend...
So what's the reason then for the AMA/FIM not allowing equal cc in professional racing if the 4 stroke is still better?
I have a friend who's son tries to qualify for pro MX at area nationals, and they have $15,000 invested in the motor, but when they go to tracks like Southwick, with deep loam, he switches to 450 since his 250 is severely handicapped when compared to factory and factory supported teams. How much can be dumped into a 250 2T. Just curious if anyone knows an average cost to get serious power from a current 2T.
Not as much as a four stroke
86honda
4/23/2017 7:21pm
Oh you two stroke nerdsSilly
BobPA
4/24/2017 7:22am
I think I've read this thread here before, 700-800 times now.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/24/2017 9:29am
2-Takt. Deutschland.
Bruneval
4/24/2017 10:27am
I think the 125 class on its way to coming back as the feeder class, especially in Europe. High budget 250Fs have become outrageous in terms of cost, and are too powerful and heavy for most teenagers. A more cost effective and safer stepping stone to the big bikes is needed, and it exists already in the form of a 125.

IMO, what I would love to see:
- 125 class reinstated for the above reasons.
- Emissions improved through cleaner burning oils and new technologies/fueling systems. This is needed to effectively kill the environmental argument that 2 strokes are dirty.
- Big bore 2 strokes which are tuned for torque and traction. This type of engine has very low maintenance costs - just look how many CR/KX 500 engines are still knocking about after decades of abuse.

Add in that 2 strokes are quieter, and we can therefore keep tracks that are nearer to housing (this is a big issue in the UK and has forced many track closures due to the lack of space). Moreover, we need to make the sport accessible to all. At the moment it is not.
Yep
4/24/2017 11:41am
kzizok wrote:
2-Takt. Deutschland.
Correct
brocsdad
4/24/2017 12:48pm
The 250 2-strokes have made a comeback in the amateur classes and with weekend warrior riders. The 125 has seen a resurgence with the new 125 classes. The 4-stroke is still more popular overall but there is no way I wouldput my 115lb son on a 250F. I plan to keep him on a 125 for at least 2 years and we may go to a 250 stroke when it's time to move up.
mnoble0902
4/24/2017 3:13pm
Bruneval wrote:
I think the 125 class on its way to coming back as the feeder class, especially in Europe. High budget 250Fs have become outrageous in terms...
I think the 125 class on its way to coming back as the feeder class, especially in Europe. High budget 250Fs have become outrageous in terms of cost, and are too powerful and heavy for most teenagers. A more cost effective and safer stepping stone to the big bikes is needed, and it exists already in the form of a 125.

IMO, what I would love to see:
- 125 class reinstated for the above reasons.
- Emissions improved through cleaner burning oils and new technologies/fueling systems. This is needed to effectively kill the environmental argument that 2 strokes are dirty.
- Big bore 2 strokes which are tuned for torque and traction. This type of engine has very low maintenance costs - just look how many CR/KX 500 engines are still knocking about after decades of abuse.

Add in that 2 strokes are quieter, and we can therefore keep tracks that are nearer to housing (this is a big issue in the UK and has forced many track closures due to the lack of space). Moreover, we need to make the sport accessible to all. At the moment it is not.
I hope you are right about the 125s coming back. They were always a blast to watch. I've read some rumors that Suzuki and maybe Kawasaki may re-enter the 125 class in 2018. Apparently there was a "sneak peek" of 2018 bikes in Japan and a Suzuki rep said Suzuki has two bikes going back into production for 2018. Hopefully the person was referring to a 125.
Crush
4/24/2017 7:25pm
endurox wrote:
Radical wrote:
x2
And better yet, slow the fucking things down by eliminating the 450s...

A couple decades of evolution and we worked out 500s were too much bike. Now we're there again.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
4/24/2017 8:27pm
endurox wrote:
Radical wrote:
x2
Crush wrote:
And better yet, slow the fucking things down by eliminating the 450s... A couple decades of evolution and we worked out 500s were too much bike...
And better yet, slow the fucking things down by eliminating the 450s...

A couple decades of evolution and we worked out 500s were too much bike. Now we're there again.
Agreed. Literally all professional motorsports manage the speed by lowering maximum displacement every now and again. In MX we just keep getting faster. No one can argue that the faster you go, the harder you crash.

We're probably at a point where we could simply switch to a 125 and a 250 class, and it would be good for the sport.
2T or 4T, same displacement, or even give the 4T a bit extra against the 125, but not double.
Maybe 165.

blackdiamond
4/24/2017 8:30pm
kzizok wrote:
Then why is the AMA so scared of letting that happen?
urbanlift707
4/24/2017 8:37pm
kzizok wrote:
Is that really true? There is no comparison with me on a 250f vs 250, but I've never really gotten along with 250f's. I recall twmx ran a test with jlaw and he was much faster on a two stroke as well.
blackdiamond
4/24/2017 9:35pm
Is that really true? There is no comparison with me on a 250f vs 250, but I've never really gotten along with 250f's. I recall twmx...
Is that really true? There is no comparison with me on a 250f vs 250, but I've never really gotten along with 250f's. I recall twmx ran a test with jlaw and he was much faster on a two stroke as well.
90% political, 10% performance based decision for most.
4/24/2017 10:21pm
If more people bought two strokes over 4 strokes then there would be two strokes again.
Bearuno
4/25/2017 12:04am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 12:39am
90% political, 10% performance based decision for most.
I'd put it - in my mind at least - Blackdiamond , at 100% Political. Counting (most) manufacturers commitment and development efforts being put directly to 4ts as 'political' - they don't want to split ICE type development. That is fairly understandable.

Performance - 4ts have come so far from XR etc levels, through the sheltered workshop rules of Double or 1.75 x capacity, and then the arms race between manufacturers. They no longer need Any capacity advantage, and there's a Lot more to come for the 4T.

You don't see 4ts being slaughtered in racing that allows equivalency. What you see, and hear, is great, fair racing.

That there are far more manufacturers making competitive 4ts (and the perception of so many that Four Strokes are so much better / faster - just listen to any SX Broadcast, where commentators rave about 4ts, with never, ever mentioning the capacity advantage they are allowed) as against 2 manufacturers, means that for the foreseeable future, even when / if Equivalency is in place, there will be far more 4ts out on the tracks.

2 Manufacturers : Yamaha with essentially, 13 year old bikes and KTM. I count KTM / KTHusky as the same manufacturer, as that's exactly what it is - just different 'specs', I like the White ones myself. And a Magnificent Minnow , in TM. I'm talking MX - we've seen 2 small manufacturers, Beta and Sherco, take advantage of a market essentially left to KTM, and doing new 250 / 300 2ts, with a 125 coming from Sherco, soon, getting great sales in the Off Road / Enduro segment.

The Euros / FIM have helped - the 65 / 85 and 125 EMX, and, this year, 250 2Ts allowed in EMX250. We didn't see 'slaughter' of the 250Fs over the weekend. Only a few out there, and just 2 in the top 10 in the second Moto. I missed what happened to Kras in the first Moto - missed what he may have said during his guest commentary with Malin. And, MK is a very good rider, but he was up against a swarm of Very good riders in EMX250. And, he has the EMX300 series as importance to him, so, one would assume, he might have been a bit cautious.

I do hope the EMX250 Equivalency will be transferred to MX2 - but there will be a pitched battle against that from a few Manufacturers. One in particular.

DC has Equivalency in XC2 in GNCC. It hasn't resulted in a 'slaughter' of the 4ts. Last year, Honda - they that are "All Four Stroke, All The Time", won the class. DC has the power to set Equivalency in the US MX Nationals. He's run that GNCC class with Equivalency for a fair few years now, that belies any thought that 2ts would dominate.

In SX, FELD could do any Damned thing they want - Sanctioning / Sport Governing bodies, Manufacturers would have to 'deal' with it.

This year in the Enduro World Championships, there's Equivalency. Enduro GP for over 250 to 450(?), and Enduro 2 for up to 250. 2T or 4T. . Hell has finally started to defrost in EWC.

125, 250s then up to 450 - with Equivalency. That's how it should be. Every Bloody Where.

I've no time for wankers that rave on about the superiority of either ICE power plant. They are, Wankers whichever side they are on .

Both 'Ts' types are great.

But, One type has been suppressed by Piss Poor, Ill Thought Out, Incredibly Loaded rules, for far too long.

PS :
One thing that just pisses me off immensely, is how many 2T 'fans' are squealing (and not in delight) over the coming introduction of the KTM / KTHusky 'TPI'.

If you've half a brain, you'd realize that for 2ts to continue to exist (hell, 4ts too) they have to become cleaner, full stop. Even 'Competition / Off Highway' vehicles will be further targeted by the Enviros / Governments, in the years to come. 'Clean(er)' 2Ts have to be developed, for them to continue to exist - and, indeed, be expanded in their usage, in many forms of ICE powered vehicles / fitments.
RACERX69
4/25/2017 8:10am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 8:10am
Sorry if this has already been posted, but Dirt Bike magazine posted this recently.
Would be huge if this becomes reality! 2018 RM-250
blackdiamond
4/25/2017 8:27am
Bearuno wrote:
I'd put it - in my mind at least - [b]Blackdiamond [/b] , at 100% Political. Counting (most) manufacturers commitment and development efforts being put directly...
I'd put it - in my mind at least - Blackdiamond , at 100% Political. Counting (most) manufacturers commitment and development efforts being put directly to 4ts as 'political' - they don't want to split ICE type development. That is fairly understandable.

Performance - 4ts have come so far from XR etc levels, through the sheltered workshop rules of Double or 1.75 x capacity, and then the arms race between manufacturers. They no longer need Any capacity advantage, and there's a Lot more to come for the 4T.

You don't see 4ts being slaughtered in racing that allows equivalency. What you see, and hear, is great, fair racing.

That there are far more manufacturers making competitive 4ts (and the perception of so many that Four Strokes are so much better / faster - just listen to any SX Broadcast, where commentators rave about 4ts, with never, ever mentioning the capacity advantage they are allowed) as against 2 manufacturers, means that for the foreseeable future, even when / if Equivalency is in place, there will be far more 4ts out on the tracks.

2 Manufacturers : Yamaha with essentially, 13 year old bikes and KTM. I count KTM / KTHusky as the same manufacturer, as that's exactly what it is - just different 'specs', I like the White ones myself. And a Magnificent Minnow , in TM. I'm talking MX - we've seen 2 small manufacturers, Beta and Sherco, take advantage of a market essentially left to KTM, and doing new 250 / 300 2ts, with a 125 coming from Sherco, soon, getting great sales in the Off Road / Enduro segment.

The Euros / FIM have helped - the 65 / 85 and 125 EMX, and, this year, 250 2Ts allowed in EMX250. We didn't see 'slaughter' of the 250Fs over the weekend. Only a few out there, and just 2 in the top 10 in the second Moto. I missed what happened to Kras in the first Moto - missed what he may have said during his guest commentary with Malin. And, MK is a very good rider, but he was up against a swarm of Very good riders in EMX250. And, he has the EMX300 series as importance to him, so, one would assume, he might have been a bit cautious.

I do hope the EMX250 Equivalency will be transferred to MX2 - but there will be a pitched battle against that from a few Manufacturers. One in particular.

DC has Equivalency in XC2 in GNCC. It hasn't resulted in a 'slaughter' of the 4ts. Last year, Honda - they that are "All Four Stroke, All The Time", won the class. DC has the power to set Equivalency in the US MX Nationals. He's run that GNCC class with Equivalency for a fair few years now, that belies any thought that 2ts would dominate.

In SX, FELD could do any Damned thing they want - Sanctioning / Sport Governing bodies, Manufacturers would have to 'deal' with it.

This year in the Enduro World Championships, there's Equivalency. Enduro GP for over 250 to 450(?), and Enduro 2 for up to 250. 2T or 4T. . Hell has finally started to defrost in EWC.

125, 250s then up to 450 - with Equivalency. That's how it should be. Every Bloody Where.

I've no time for wankers that rave on about the superiority of either ICE power plant. They are, Wankers whichever side they are on .

Both 'Ts' types are great.

But, One type has been suppressed by Piss Poor, Ill Thought Out, Incredibly Loaded rules, for far too long.

PS :
One thing that just pisses me off immensely, is how many 2T 'fans' are squealing (and not in delight) over the coming introduction of the KTM / KTHusky 'TPI'.

If you've half a brain, you'd realize that for 2ts to continue to exist (hell, 4ts too) they have to become cleaner, full stop. Even 'Competition / Off Highway' vehicles will be further targeted by the Enviros / Governments, in the years to come. 'Clean(er)' 2Ts have to be developed, for them to continue to exist - and, indeed, be expanded in their usage, in many forms of ICE powered vehicles / fitments.
I agree, the rules need to change and allow equal displacement racing, plain and simple. What could more choices for the racers possibly hurt? Imagine how cool it would be to see a lites team like the Troy Lee/KTM outfit field a team of full-factory 250SX two strokes!
endurox
4/25/2017 11:59am
No biased displacement rules in Endurocross. Makes for better racing.

Post a reply to: Future of 2-strokes

The Latest