Funny story about a bunch of Honda CT70's

Edited Date/Time 6/3/2015 8:18pm
My wife is a creative lunatic and has taken up blogging about her projects. One of her projects years ago was to surprise me with a CT70 project on my 30th birthday. My first motorcycle was a '72 CT70. Well, she ended up surprising me with 13 broken down CT 70's that she thought would be a fun project, except the fact that we were in the middle of rehabbing a badly run down home . It's a pretty funny story especially now 13 years later. Btw, She suggested I share it with you guys knowing how addicted we all are to Moto. I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.makerofhome.com/the-worst-gift/
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/1/2015 8:05pm
Ha, nice.

Hey Patrick, I'm making a Bend run after Washougal.
6/1/2015 8:07pm
GuyB wrote:
Ha, nice.

Hey Patrick, I'm making a Bend run after Washougal.
Sounds good, I better start training so I can keep up with you. I've been slacking on the bike lately. Too many shuttle opportunities around here these days...
ledger
6/1/2015 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2015 8:28pm
That was actually a great story. Mommom says,,,I thought I told you to do your homework before you ride that dang scooter. Great looking home on the Home page btw.

The Shop

6/1/2015 8:38pm
ledger wrote:
That was actually a great story. Mommom says,,,[b]I thought I told you to do your homework before you ride that dang scooter.[/b] Great looking home on...
That was actually a great story. Mommom says,,,I thought I told you to do your homework before you ride that dang scooter. Great looking home on the Home page btw.
My grandma was a character Smile She was always yelling at us Smile I think I was getting ready to tear up her lawn in that photo lol
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/1/2015 8:59pm
Sounds good, I better start training so I can keep up with you. I've been slacking on the bike lately. Too many shuttle opportunities around here...
Sounds good, I better start training so I can keep up with you. I've been slacking on the bike lately. Too many shuttle opportunities around here these days...
I should be well off my normal pace by the time we get there. Smile

Starting to think about real estate...
6/1/2015 9:31pm
Sounds good, I better start training so I can keep up with you. I've been slacking on the bike lately. Too many shuttle opportunities around here...
GuyB wrote:
I should be well off my normal pace by the time we get there. Smile

Starting to think about real estate...
Lots of good new trails since your last trip. The trail system is expanding rapidly Smile The place is booming RE wise but there are still deals to be found. I've been buying some good stuff myself....
WFO!
6/2/2015 5:32am
Hey man, great post. I enjoyed it all the way.

This photo below told me how old you were and what year it was simply by your Hiking boots!
Every kid wore these in the early 80's. So much so that they were banned in my school because we all enjoyed making black scuff streaks on the floors in the hallways with them!

Your Grandma in back just makes the photo even better. And yes your wife was right. Get off bus, throw books on floor, get snack. then right out the door to go ride. Every day.

Those were easily the best days of my life.

This story makes me remember to have fun because life is over pretty quick. Thanks again.
Shiftfaced
6/2/2015 7:23am
I have a 1979 Honda CT, and I love it. For my "around town" errands, there is just no better way to get it done.

Of all the bikes that I have owned, this one gets more "thumbs up" than all the rest combined.

One day I was at a stop light, and dude next to me says "Hey man, back when I was a kid, that was the coolest bike out there".

"Still is", I told him. Smile

holeshot100
6/2/2015 7:39am
Picked one up a couple months ago. 1971 CT70 HK0...One owner with a title...The green ones had a 4 speed clutch. Got an RD350 with a title from the same guy. Make runs.

6/2/2015 8:01am
WFO! wrote:
Hey man, great post. I enjoyed it all the way. This photo below told me how old you were and what year it was simply by...

This photo below told me how old you were and what year it was simply by your Hiking boots!
Every kid wore these in the early 80's. So much so that they were banned in my school because we all enjoyed making black scuff streaks on the floors in the hallways with them!

Your Grandma in back just makes the photo even better. And yes your wife was right. Get off bus, throw books on floor, get snack. then right out the door to go ride. Every day.

This story makes me remember to have fun because life is over pretty quick. Thanks again.
Yes! We were banned from wearing them to school as well . Once we realized how they would leave huge black marks on the floor it was game on Smile I think that pic was from around '81-82 . I agree, the days on my 70 with my neighborhood crew were the best! Every day, we would get home and go cut trails or session a tiny jump until it was dark and the whistle or scream from Mommom called to get your ass home Smile You're right it went quick! sheesh!
6/2/2015 8:02am
Shiftfaced wrote:
I have a 1979 Honda CT, and I love it. For my "around town" errands, there is just no better way to get it done. Of...
I have a 1979 Honda CT, and I love it. For my "around town" errands, there is just no better way to get it done.

Of all the bikes that I have owned, this one gets more "thumbs up" than all the rest combined.

One day I was at a stop light, and dude next to me says "Hey man, back when I was a kid, that was the coolest bike out there".

"Still is", I told him. Smile

That yellow is sweet! I dig the exhaust system and the street tires. I'll look for ya next time I'm in Boise.
6/2/2015 8:04am
Picked one up a couple months ago. 1971 CT70 HK0...One owner with a title...The green ones had a 4 speed clutch. Got an RD350 with a...
Picked one up a couple months ago. 1971 CT70 HK0...One owner with a title...The green ones had a 4 speed clutch. Got an RD350 with a title from the same guy. Make runs.

Mine had a 4 speed with a clutch also. Was it certain colors or years that determined that? Or was it a special order? I got mine from piecing together my two uncles trashed bikes. They were '72 models and both were manual clutch.
Shiftfaced
6/2/2015 8:17am
That yellow is sweet! I dig the exhaust system and the street tires. I'll look for ya next time I'm in Boise.
Do that! Bring your mountain bike, and we can go tear it up.

I'll loan you this for beating down the pavement.

Shiftfaced
6/2/2015 8:20am
Mine had a 4 speed with a clutch also. Was it certain colors or years that determined that? Or was it a special order? I got...
Mine had a 4 speed with a clutch also. Was it certain colors or years that determined that? Or was it a special order? I got mine from piecing together my two uncles trashed bikes. They were '72 models and both were manual clutch.
I was under the impression that all "H" models had the 4-speed tranny, and manual clutch. You can tell an "H" model by the slant of the black background behind the "Honda Trail 70" logo on the top bar.

Could be wrong, but that is what I was told.

Both of mine have the Chinese "pitbike" replica motor. Both are 4-speeds with manual transmission, but the yellow one is a 110, and the blue one is a 140.

Motors are cheap ($300-$400), CDI, and 12 volt.
holeshot100
6/2/2015 9:29am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 9:31am
Mine had a 4 speed with a clutch also. Was it certain colors or years that determined that? Or was it a special order? I got...
Shiftfaced wrote:
I was under the impression that all "H" models had the 4-speed tranny, and manual clutch. You can tell an "H" model by the slant of...
I was under the impression that all "H" models had the 4-speed tranny, and manual clutch. You can tell an "H" model by the slant of the black background behind the "Honda Trail 70" logo on the top bar.

Both of mine have the Chinese "pitbike" replica motor. Both are 4-speeds with manual transmission, but the yellow one is a 110, and the blue one is a 140.

Here we go!

6/2/2015 9:39am
Try that again. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/06/02/93376/s1200_Guide.jpg[/img]
Try that again.

Ahhh.... thanks for sharing that. Man, I love the colors Honda chose.
PC
6/2/2015 10:06am
That's awesome Patrick! Your wife is a very cool woman.

And dont invite any more damned Californians up here to buy real estate. What kind of Oregonian are you?

Signed,
the guy born in Torrance
WFO!
6/2/2015 1:22pm
WFO! wrote:
Hey man, great post. I enjoyed it all the way. This photo below told me how old you were and what year it was simply by...

Yes! We were banned from wearing them to school as well . Once we realized how they would leave huge black marks on the floor it...
Yes! We were banned from wearing them to school as well . Once we realized how they would leave huge black marks on the floor it was game on Smile I think that pic was from around '81-82 . I agree, the days on my 70 with my neighborhood crew were the best! Every day, we would get home and go cut trails or session a tiny jump until it was dark and the whistle or scream from Mommom called to get your ass home Smile You're right it went quick! sheesh!
Hahaha!
Hey Patrick it's crazy that we were worlds apart (I was on the eastcoast) but we did the exact same things!

(Hiking boot wars! haha)

The neighborhood crew. Yep.

After school at the Hollows every day. Or maybe a jump session at the cemetary, "Club ave jump" or "Demons Hill", or just trailriding cutting across the farmers land in back.

As soon as it was getting dark time to haul ass back home.

We always appreciated the kids with the CT70's to light our way through the woods!
OldYZRider1
6/2/2015 1:24pm
My first bike was a blue 1969 CT70. Dad brought it home when I was 10 years old and I rode it all over the new subdivision we lived in. I rode it alot, especially during summer break from school. I put 100 miles on it one day riding it around that 40 acre subdivision.

Dad got tired of me calling him to bring home more gas during the day so I could keep riding. The 2 gallon gas can got upsized to a five gallon gas can that I had to learn how to "handle". When we'd go to my grandparents farm we'd fold the handlebars down and throw it in the trunk of the big 'ol Buick my folks had and I'd ride around there. Good times for sure!
Cygnus
6/2/2015 1:53pm
I have an orange 74 at home. Great pit bike. So many guys give the thumbs up and say I love it that was my first bike. Couldn't ever get my kids to ride it they say it's ugly. I had a guy a few year ago want to trade a ttr 125 electric start straight across. I said hell no.
6/2/2015 2:35pm
WFO! wrote:
Hahaha! Hey Patrick it's crazy that we were worlds apart (I was on the eastcoast) but we did the exact same things! (Hiking boot wars! haha)...
Hahaha!
Hey Patrick it's crazy that we were worlds apart (I was on the eastcoast) but we did the exact same things!

(Hiking boot wars! haha)

The neighborhood crew. Yep.

After school at the Hollows every day. Or maybe a jump session at the cemetary, "Club ave jump" or "Demons Hill", or just trailriding cutting across the farmers land in back.

As soon as it was getting dark time to haul ass back home.

We always appreciated the kids with the CT70's to light our way through the woods!
I grew up on the East Coast as well. Valley Forge/King of Prussia, Pennsylvania area about 30 miles West of Philly. We lived along the Pennsylvania turnpike and rode the creeks and wooded areas along and under the highway. Also, would ride along the Schuylkill river in the silt basins. They were these huge fields (and forest that grew over them) of millions of yards of black coal silt that was dredged from the river sometime early in the 20th century. They were like black sand dunes. It was totally illegal to ride there but we ran from the cops most of my youth ripping around on the 70's. We made endless trails through those woods. Then we ended up with YZ80's and then progressed up to the big bikes and racing. We actually had a sweet black sand whoop track in there right near the border of Valley Forge National park where when we were racing in the 80's and early 90's would go and pound out motos for fitness because of the giant whoops. I need to get another 70 or two (not 12 or 13) Smile though, I miss that little bike.
6/2/2015 2:38pm
PC wrote:
That's awesome Patrick! Your wife is a very cool woman. And dont invite any more damned Californians up here to buy real estate. What kind of...
That's awesome Patrick! Your wife is a very cool woman.

And dont invite any more damned Californians up here to buy real estate. What kind of Oregonian are you?

Signed,
the guy born in Torrance
Brandon, She is super cool and I didn't realize it but I think she was onto something. Her idea was to restore a few of them into super funky town cruisers with pink paint and leopard seat covers. I should have kept them. How was your Gifford ride?
6/2/2015 2:39pm
Cygnus wrote:
I have an orange 74 at home. Great pit bike. So many guys give the thumbs up and say I love it that was my first...
I have an orange 74 at home. Great pit bike. So many guys give the thumbs up and say I love it that was my first bike. Couldn't ever get my kids to ride it they say it's ugly. I had a guy a few year ago want to trade a ttr 125 electric start straight across. I said hell no.
Smart man, don't get rid of that bike. I think I'd trade both of my TTR's for a mint '72 red one.
6/2/2015 2:42pm
Shiftfaced wrote:
I was under the impression that all "H" models had the 4-speed tranny, and manual clutch. You can tell an "H" model by the slant of...

Dude, no shit! Are those motors decent reliability wise? If I'd only known, I could grab some chinese motors and be on our way. I bet your bikes are a blast ripping around the North End of Boise on a Friday or Saturday night.
GIwasB4
6/2/2015 2:44pm
My wife is a creative lunatic and has taken up blogging about her projects. One of her projects years ago was to surprise me with a...
My wife is a creative lunatic and has taken up blogging about her projects. One of her projects years ago was to surprise me with a CT70 project on my 30th birthday. My first motorcycle was a '72 CT70. Well, she ended up surprising me with 13 broken down CT 70's that she thought would be a fun project, except the fact that we were in the middle of rehabbing a badly run down home . It's a pretty funny story especially now 13 years later. Btw, She suggested I share it with you guys knowing how addicted we all are to Moto. I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.makerofhome.com/the-worst-gift/
Potter County PA? That place is freakin awesome! We use to ride on the corps of engineers lake when it froze over. Great times.
Great story, fantastic wife you have there!
clem
6/2/2015 2:53pm
I've got a Ruby Red K0 that is at the painter right now. Sweet bike for sure. There is either a blog or forum post somewhere on the nets where a guy road a CT70 from Pearl River Mississippi to Sturgis. He did have a 110 motor in it but damn that's a long ride!
6/2/2015 2:56pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Potter County PA? That place is freakin awesome! We use to ride on the corps of engineers lake when it froze over. Great times. Great story...
Potter County PA? That place is freakin awesome! We use to ride on the corps of engineers lake when it froze over. Great times.
Yep, Good old Potter County Smile We logged thousands of miles on the logging roads around there every summer. Smile
GIwasB4
6/2/2015 3:04pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Potter County PA? That place is freakin awesome! We use to ride on the corps of engineers lake when it froze over. Great times. Great story...
Yep, Good old Potter County Smile We logged thousands of miles on the logging roads around there every summer. Smile

Post a reply to: Funny story about a bunch of Honda CT70's

The Latest