Freestyle, what's the Facination ?

500guy
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 6:54pm
With throwing your bike on the ground after landing a trick ?

Personally it looks stupid , I can just see some kid getting his ass beat by Dad for throwing his bike down.
|
tp4
10/16/2011 9:03am
thats some stupid junk..really ,not a fan.
MX Culture
10/16/2011 9:08am
cam sinclair exploded his femur - what's the point?
they gave Loza only one shot? - what's the point?
how much $ did Monea get for the front flip?
I'm over the sideshow, it was the worst freestyle show of all time
adamdf
10/16/2011 9:09am
Honestly, back in the day i loved the Crusty and Terrafirma videos, but freestyle now is just plain madness....those guys have some serious skill, but the whole best trick thing, its just not my cup of tea....

The Shop

zippy895
10/16/2011 9:12am
remember the first time we all saw the nac nac from mcgrath?
apparently we could care alot less about a nac nac as much as the first few times.
freestyle mx to some is like us watching windham do those transfers!
there will always be an audience for that freesyle stuff.
burnside
10/16/2011 9:17am
adamdf wrote:
Honestly, back in the day i loved the Crusty and Terrafirma videos, but freestyle now is just plain madness....those guys have some serious skill, but the...
Honestly, back in the day i loved the Crusty and Terrafirma videos, but freestyle now is just plain madness....those guys have some serious skill, but the whole best trick thing, its just not my cup of tea....
Me too. Guess that was more free riding though, rather than trick ferrets sessioning ramps. and it would still be awesome to see updated freeriding videos like that. Can you imagine RV & Dunge playing in the hills and partying in the sand dunes? Probably get culled by message boards for having fun and taking risks. When you look back on it, Emig & MC and co were f@ckin rockstars!!
Phillips467
10/16/2011 9:21am
To be honest, I've never understood what the fascination is with Freestyle itself. I've never really been interested in watching the Freestyle shows in between the races, or on TV. I'd much rather watch a 20 lap main event Tongue But all my friends who aren't into moto, think the racing side of the sport is stupid and the freestyle is the best thing about it....
adamdf
10/16/2011 9:28am
To be honest, I've never understood what the fascination is with Freestyle itself. I've never really been interested in watching the Freestyle shows in between the...
To be honest, I've never understood what the fascination is with Freestyle itself. I've never really been interested in watching the Freestyle shows in between the races, or on TV. I'd much rather watch a 20 lap main event Tongue But all my friends who aren't into moto, think the racing side of the sport is stupid and the freestyle is the best thing about it....
Its true, people that arent into motocross or any form of bike racing just want to see someone trying something crazy on a motorcycle...and it ends there for them..
downandup
10/16/2011 9:29am
Always wonder who the people are who buy that Metal Mulisha sh@t. If I see that logo on a bike or the back of a car I stay way clear and give them alot of room.
SL91
10/16/2011 9:42am
Just a silly sideshow, the tat crowd's monster truck.
mxpunk
10/16/2011 9:43am
as a hardcore racing fan and a pretty core freestyle fan (not so much anymore) ...i will throw my 2 cents in here on freestyle:

between the years of 1998-2003, freestyle WAS really something special. there werent that many big name guys and it was still new. many of these "losers" were and still are, former motocross and supercross racers. You elitests call them "losers" because they said "why the fuck should i pay to race when someone will pay me to jump a ramp and do tricks?"

As the sport grew more popular, people from the woodwork started coming out and raising the bar quite a bit in regards to the difficulties of tricks. We can thank the backflip for this...

The sport is way past its prime, especially since they got rid of dirt ONLY courses entirely and now they setup the courses so the one trick ponys can go and wad themselves up.

i personally dont really follow it anymore but was a big fan of it in the early 2000's when it was cool. Now theres so many no-name guys pulling all these crazy tricks that i dont even know who is who.

That being said, I'd rather be a pro FMX rider then sit in a fucking office all day, which is what i used to do.
ns503
10/16/2011 9:45am
They don't have kickstands on them scooters, dude...
PJ205
10/16/2011 9:46am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 9:46am
adamdf wrote:
Honestly, back in the day i loved the Crusty and Terrafirma videos, but freestyle now is just plain madness....those guys have some serious skill, but the...
+1, and freestyle in general.
cason402
10/16/2011 9:52am
they have plenty of balls no doubt, but the promoters need to go to the jam session format. the way they did it last night (like normal in fmx) spends so much time camera time just sitting or throwing bikes and fist pumping or talking. of course a jam session would go until the first guy waded and then the medical crew would have to spend 10 minutes packing up the kid before they'd get it moving again. maybe i'm old but i could do without it.
BAD10
10/16/2011 10:47am
And what the F is up with Kyle Loza??!! What a freakshow!
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
10/16/2011 10:48am
I was scared thinking we were gonna see more injuries from that. Glad to see Loza got away from his bike and didnt get hurt. Lots of moving parts spinning next to him.
lilbulld
10/16/2011 10:54am
downandup wrote:
Always wonder who the people are who buy that Metal Mulisha sh@t. If I see that logo on a bike or the back of a car...
Always wonder who the people are who buy that Metal Mulisha sh@t. If I see that logo on a bike or the back of a car I stay way clear and give them alot of room.
Same here, bought a yz139 off a guy recently and he said "i've got some new MM graphics for it too", to which i replied thanks but no thanks... I wouldnt even be caught reselling that shit to make a profit
RACEGUY
10/16/2011 11:10am
REAL sports do not have "judges".
10/16/2011 11:15am Edited Date/Time 10/16/2011 11:15am
It's more popular than supercross so I wouldn't be shitting on it too much.
10/16/2011 11:16am
I thought it was cool they had it during the event but the way it turned out wasn't every good. He's the thing that stood out,

1. WTF kind of runway was that for the bigger ramp?
2. Jackson Strong sounded retarded when he was talking. "I just wanna know if I should put it on black or red?" Crowd goes silent and Jacko is looking like Jerry Seinfeld with that joke! lol
3. Sinclair's leg was broken bad!
4. Monea had no idea how to talk at the end, maybe just in shock?
5. That dumb shit with the microphone shoving it in the announcers face, riders face and then trying to hide out of camera behind the rider! That was pretty much the stupidest thing I saw all night even more than Alessi's meltdown.
6. Loza, seriously WTF is up with those stupid ass tats on your face? I was just watching a show on TV about Tattoo removal. Have fun with that when you realize you look like a retard!

All in all the Monster Cup was way more entertaining than a normal SX race.
cdm806
Fantasy
1404th
10/16/2011 11:27am
RACEGUY wrote:
REAL sports do not have "judges".
Ding, Ding. Ding. WE HAVE A WINNER!
mx_563
10/16/2011 11:31am
TripleFive wrote:
It's more popular than supercross so I wouldn't be shitting on it too much.
Worldwide, figure skating is more popular than SX....so what?

Don't get me wrong, I respect what they do (I'm pumped on Charles Pages getting healthy again....he and his brother are taking FMX to a new level for sure). Nevertheless I wouldn't pay to go to a contest, and I certainly think the bike throw-down is lame. Just my $0.02
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
10/16/2011 11:41am
You bunch of stubborn, grumpy old men...
FMX is the future of the sport, the layman enjoys watching it more, the risks are bigger. Its got a lot of parallels with gladiators from roman times... (one wins, one gets injured / dies).
If we had it all your way Pastrana would have been discouraged from fmx, and there would be an ama law saying we must wear our body armour under our riding jerseys... Get with the times gramps.
NV/HC!
10/16/2011 5:07pm
Even as someone who's ridden FMX for the past 11 years to make a living, I would agree it has become pretty gay to watch. There are some amazing things that go on from time to time, but in general the skill level of a lot of riders and even their public speaking ability and appearance is pathetic. Same goes for SX though, ie. Blake Baggett.
A lot of us who started this around the early 2000's talk about the way things have gone and are dissapointed. Especially since many of us are Ex-Pro racers and grew up watching and admiring things like Terrafirma videos, and developing skills through racing and freeriding, before learning tricks.
It kind of just came to the point where the guys doing "stunts" got the sponsorship money and the guys who love riding, filming cool natural terrain spots and riding contests with more than 2 or 3 ramps faded out. With a few exceptions of course.
Now it's mostly a stunt show. It's a bummer for those of us that really enjoyed the whole spectrum of riding, while adding in the tricks.

D. Miller
akmx17
10/16/2011 5:24pm
Personally I think freestyle is very cool and amazing what they can do with a bike.
Premixed
10/16/2011 5:27pm
I never understood the fascination with homosexuality. to me, there is nothing more disgusting than the crack of another man's ass HOWEVER, to each his own. for every homo out there, its just another available female for me. i feel the same way about FMX. just ignore it. it also provides race fans a chance to get up and go piss.
10/16/2011 5:27pm
NV/HC! wrote:
Even as someone who's ridden FMX for the past 11 years to make a living, I would agree it has become pretty gay to watch. There...
Even as someone who's ridden FMX for the past 11 years to make a living, I would agree it has become pretty gay to watch. There are some amazing things that go on from time to time, but in general the skill level of a lot of riders and even their public speaking ability and appearance is pathetic. Same goes for SX though, ie. Blake Baggett.
A lot of us who started this around the early 2000's talk about the way things have gone and are dissapointed. Especially since many of us are Ex-Pro racers and grew up watching and admiring things like Terrafirma videos, and developing skills through racing and freeriding, before learning tricks.
It kind of just came to the point where the guys doing "stunts" got the sponsorship money and the guys who love riding, filming cool natural terrain spots and riding contests with more than 2 or 3 ramps faded out. With a few exceptions of course.
Now it's mostly a stunt show. It's a bummer for those of us that really enjoyed the whole spectrum of riding, while adding in the tricks.

D. Miller
"Now it's mostly a stunt show"

Yeah freestyle MX has sure turned into a stunt show. I NEVER saw that coming.

There's still a place for the OG guys who like natural terrain and such; just not in the limelight - which is what I think you're upset about.
mxpunk
10/16/2011 6:11pm
NV/HC! wrote:
Even as someone who's ridden FMX for the past 11 years to make a living, I would agree it has become pretty gay to watch. There...

D. Miller
Stoked to see you here man, I used to post on MTX all the time!!!

Dude, remember when metzger and all them used to call you and your crew the ramp tramps?? hahahaah soo funnny

Dude X-games isnt even a contest..its a show.

I watched it this year and was like..wow...can't believe its come to this.

Post a reply to: Freestyle, what's the Facination ?

The Latest